• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I think I'm caught up on the story now! I've not done many explorations though so I think that will be next. Cracked Earth is the last story dungeon released atm right? Cant believe it only took like a month ish from my chapter 3 Lapis start from 2 years ago. That half NRG week during Xenogears first banner really helped. So now I'm looking into the short stories as I really do enjoy the story. Is there an order they should played in or does it not matter? Also, I missed the Rain event last time cause I didnt want to spoil myself on the story. I hope it comes back.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Got a 4th T.Terra with my 5* ticket.

Used a UoC on a second Esther and maxed her stats out. I don't really have a lot of weapons to use on her. Is it worth getting two Storm Kicker for her? How about materia choice?
Definitely worth getting at least one pair of shit kickers, if not two (did you skip the farmable that just ended? I finished 2 TMRs for both Esther and Sylvie no problem.

As for weapons, just finish off a Revolving Saw, or use the Asterisk if you did the Armageddon event. If you've got bits and bobs of TDH TMRs she's pretty easy to gear up. I think I gave her Cloud TMR, Nalu TMR and then whatever other ATK materia I had + 2 sets of boots and she's pretty well off

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
You know, as nice as the save/load party feature is, is there actually ANY good reason for them to just not let us have items equipped at the same time in different parties?

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Meawhile FFBE JP Alim decided to make new Summon Fest as in today. Again double banner Lunafreya + CG Dark Fina.

Info in reddit.

Not so surprisingly comments in Reddit & Twitter are very bad & bitter.

You can see twitter comments from JP players (use google translation) by scrolling comments in this maintenance information tweet.

Things not looking good. Alim in greedy mode.

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
What's happening on the JP version isn't pretty indeed.
Locking a regular non CG unit behind summon fest and giving it the worst step-up ever, you have to wonder why Alim went full whale mode just like that. This is in addition to the Japanese version giving less and less rewards in events.
This is certainly worrying for the future of Global as well.

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
This must be the trajectory of games with this predatory monetization, right, especially one this old? They see the playerbase dipping more and more every year as people leave and less sign up. So they go all out with their most egregious cash grabs to milk their most loyal whales for as much as they can before it stops being profitable to keep updating and then they sunset while everybody moves to the next app to start the cycle over again?

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
They're doing this because they're testing the waters. Adobe does this (https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/02/adobe-doubles-photography-plan-pricing/), and so don't plenty of other companies, including ones I've worked for.

Maybe later with enough backlash they'd lower it, but at the end of the day they wouldn't be doing it if they hadn't run the numbers and determined that this would help the company more than hurt it. People keep buying, gumi isn't going to listen to your complaints. You stop buying, suddenly gumi asks "why?"

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Wew, on Sunday got my first Folka out of the April EX ticket, today I get Folka #2 out of the MK 5* ticket, the timing

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
This must be the trajectory of games with this predatory monetization, right, especially one this old? They see the playerbase dipping more and more every year as people leave and less sign up. So they go all out with their most egregious cash grabs to milk their most loyal whales for as much as they can before it stops being profitable to keep updating and then they sunset while everybody moves to the next app to start the cycle over again?
PADX has done the opposite. They've become far more generous with everything. I typically pick up the 1$ Collab rolls, along with the 20$ pack every few months for a franchise I like. More stones, more space, everything. Game is in such a nice place now

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
PADX has done the opposite. They've become far more generous with everything. I typically pick up the 1$ Collab rolls, along with the 20$ pack every few months for a franchise I like. More stones, more space, everything. Game is in such a nice place now
I have noticed a few times over the last year I log in and they are like, "here's 100 gems, go nuts buddy!" lol

I wish PAD hadn't lost me from a mechanics perspective (I know there are ways to team build to circumvent the most annoying ones, but it felt like a constant, tedious battle to keep up with) cause the core gameplay, grind and team building of PAD is still my fav among all mobile games. I just wish it were back to simpler times.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I have noticed a few times over the last year I log in and they are like, "here's 100 gems, go nuts buddy!" lol

I wish PAD hadn't lost me from a mechanics perspective (I know there are ways to team build to circumvent the most annoying ones, but it felt like a constant, tedious battle to keep up with) cause the core gameplay, grind and team building of PAD is still my fav among all mobile games. I just wish it were back to simpler times.
Game has gotten pretty lax on that as well. They added up a follow up attack for Rez, weapon assists have been providing resistance to poison, cloud, etc, etc. It's been allowing me to build most of my general teams into ones that can tackle most situations.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Kourio's Golbez on my friends list and I knew that things had turned out OK, nice going.

My event 5* ticket gave me a second Elfreeda, won't complain about a second Glove. Having a full team of bonus units (who are actually decently leveled to take care of every wave) really does wonders to make it feel less grindy. Already got the 2 special tickets and most regular ones.

After walking out of the Easter banner with 0 lapis 0 tickets and 3 Sylvies, gonna start building the stock back up. Still tempted to use two UOCs on Esther but I think I can get by just using friends.

Will probably throw some tickets towards Akstar just for the lulz, otherwise I'll likely keep saving for Charlotte.

Edit: Also, regarding the state of the game, it totally feels like they're giving up and trying to milk whatever they can before focusing on War of the Visions, whatever that game is.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely will watch when I get back home, I'm currently out of the country with limited data. From the comments it seems to have been epic lol

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
my thoughts on the JP side stuff: its a shit show but it is close to the halfway mark of the year Maybe they have to hit some internal numbers? would explain the stealth drop of the Lunafreya split banner.

Rixa

Oct 26, 2017
Is Luna even good? She was a terrible terrible character in her game.

She has Barrage tm. That was very valuable autumn 2016 when equipped to Lightning.
Nowadays Ive been wondering to do troll Arena team equipping DW to 2x Cod & 2x Lightning 1x King and add Barrage tm to everyone.

As for new unit Lunafreya or whatever she is called I would not chase her. But Iam not playing JP, only wondering those dick moves to drop new splitted banner 3 days after they dropped another split banner.

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Today's lapis summon was 300 again, been pretty lucky this time around.
Finally done 3* Leviathan, sadly I can't do 3* Alexander since he counter twice for each Golbez's skills used, same for Gilgamesh, looks like I'll have to wait for powercreep to do its thing.

f44e9d9d-314c-45f1-9edpjyj.png

Also you can quad cast Come, Shadow Dragon and it fills the esper gauge to max from 0. Since its cast is pretty long, you can actually summon while Golbez is not done with it to have spare esper gauge for the next turn.

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
My new Folka helped me clear the MP parameter mission. Only one impossible for me to do currently is the SPR one.

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Two weeks ago I did with 2x Sophia. Kryla breaker, Mediena Buffer, Willy evading, LMF healing. I think everyone had 100% or more Light res. Willy most likely was not 100% LR.

Screenshot_20190421-141716.png
I will try again but with quad cast Abyssal Quasar he countered me 8 times on each Golbez.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to beat Alexander and I'm confused. He keeps wrecking my team on Turn 3 because he uses a Dispelga prior to a whole bunch of abilities (negating my magic cover, among other buffs). The guide says this magic can be sealed, so I'm using Manufacted Nethicite on Turn 3, but it doesn't seem to stop it at all.

How does Manufacted Nethicite work? O.o

Celegus

Oct 25, 2017
Manufacted Nethicite (or Celes's Sealing Blade) just negates the next casted magic, whether its from your team or the enemy's. So using it last is a good idea just so you don't accidentally cancel your own spells.

Lyrian

Oct 27, 2017

Extremely late to the party on this one, but holy crap, that's the most INSANE luck I've ever seen from 4* tickets, let alone pulling Golbez twice from the EX pool.

Side note, it's worth it to go back and watch the pull video if you skipped it. It's probably the most ridiculous pull session I've ever witnessed in FFBE and I've pulled a 4 rainbow 10+1.

My jaw still isn't off the floor yet.

What's happening on the JP version isn't pretty indeed.
They're doing this because they're testing the waters.

Yeah, that's what Alim is doing, under the pretenses of Golden Week. While everyone typically is highly generous during this week, Alim is seeing how much of that "charity" they can milk from their players. The double back-to-back Summonfest banners with featured off-banner rainbows are massively giant middle fingers to the playerbase. Now, with the Lunafreya banner, we have not only a split offbanner featured rainbow, but new for the second banner is the removal of the guaranteed banner rainbow on a 25k stepup. That's pure greed, no other way to say it.

Alim is clearly testing what they can get away with on JP.

Last edited:

Lyrian

Oct 27, 2017

For a game that is nearly as old a 7000-year-old dragon, PAD is remarkable in that it has actually turned itself around after nearly being on its deathbed, and is actually recovering by being more generous to its players after being remarkably known for years as being one of the stingiest gachas in existence.

What's just as remarkable is that unlike Alim/Gumi, PAD still keeps updating practically all of the gold or rainbow tier cards with the game, no matter how old those cards are. The love that some of the ancient collabs' cards got was eye-raising. But, even more than that, is the implication that standard pantheon units are going to get another rarity tier upgrade (to 9* !!) is jaw-dropping. Granted cards that are five years old or more are never really going to be allowed to be meta, but the notion that ancient cards can be even solidly in the conversation for being in a current day team is impressive to say the least and shows that GungHo still believes in the game for the long-term.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the unfortunate fate of burning out RIGHT as I got my 7* Ignacio and accidentally dropped the game for like 4 months

What new meta breaking units have obsoleted my husband in the time Ive missed

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I had the unfortunate fate of burning out RIGHT as I got my 7* Ignacio and accidentally dropped the game for like 4 months

What new meta breaking units have obsoleted my husband in the time Ive missed
Bunny girls but I ship them both together in a fun wholesome gal pal way and they don't have their tits out so they're pretty cool units. Esther smokes Axter as a DPS and Sylvie is an amazing support for people who missed out on Folka but sacrifices heals and charm resist for amazing elemental defense buffs and cg Nichol type buffs and the ability to imbue light thunder and earth AND with separate abilities can grant other units physical or magical AT frames or Bolting Strike Frames which is a new chaining family that Sylvie introduced. And both of these awesome gals are UoC'able.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunny girls but I ship them both together in a fun wholesome gal pal way and they don't have their tits out so they're pretty cool units. Esther smokes Axter as a DPS and Sylvie is an amazing support for people who missed out on Folka but sacrifices heals and charm resist for amazing elemental defense buffs and cg Nichol type buffs and the ability to imbue light thunder and earth AND with separate abilities can grant other units physical or magical AT frames or Bolting Strike Frames which is a new chaining family that Sylvie introduced. And both of these awesome gals are UoC'able.
What the fuck, Esther is illegally radical. What an amazing design, I might buckle and UoC her with all these tickets being thrown at me. Sucks that I JUST missed the event for her exclusive gear, though.

edit: also, just discovered karlette and crimson, and christ they're rad. Too many choices based purely on design That I Need

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, Esther is illegally radical. What an amazing design, I might buckle and UoC her with all these tickets being thrown at me. Sucks that I JUST missed the event for her exclusive gear, though.

edit: also, just discovered karlette and crimson, and christ they're rad. Too many choices based purely on design That I Need
Yea I spent 20 UoC on two Karlette prior to easter so while i coulda have been betetr off not doing so, i still love my RDM gal, she's a RDM that suffers from Anxiety, very on brand for me.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Watched (most of) Claic's video about the summon fest issues in JP and I finally understand what the issue is. On its face, it looks like basically what has been a thing in Puzzle and Dragons for years with their Godfests and "Godfest Exclusive" units, meaning it was a special pool that could only be summoned from when a godfest happened (twice a month) and it was kind of an ever growing pool.

There are a ton of big differences between these systems in PAD and FFBE tho, the biggest of which is the fact that in FFBE, getting 1 of any unit is practically useless. You NEED 2 at a minimum, and it's desirable to get as many as 4 or 6 of said units. So the economy of rainbow units in FFBE is already drastically stacked against the player compared to PAD where getting 1 of any unit adds an immense spike of power to your overall collection. Getting dupes of units in PAD CAN be useful, but it is not required to basically make that unit function on your team.

Another big difference is that in FFBE, players have been conditioned for years now to basically chase units on the banner they first show up on. If it's a meta unit, or just a unit a player wants badly, the best time to summon them is on that first banner they show up on. It gives every unit that comes out a feeling like it's its own event. Fest exclusivity basically pumps the break on that mentality and turns units into just a thing that you could potentially pull a few times a month when more Fest banners launch. It basically says (or heavily implies) DON'T chase this unit, this banner is going to be recurring, and you will get a shiny new Fest Step Up to pull every month that gives better rates on these units, so it's basically wanting you to just get them when you get them. Unless of course you're a massive whale, in which case just feed us hundreds of dollars every month and hope you get the LATEST Fest unit you're chasing and not one of the ever growing pool of Fest exclusives that you will have to try and dodge on these semi-limited banners.

It's a mess. I don't know if it's as maximum scummy as I assumed it would be when I first heard of the debacle, but it's a definite sea change in the way units are presented to be summoned, and honestly this is really only a massive issue because of just how fucking many dupes you need of any given unit to squeeze any use out of it. If a single rainbow unit by itself could add substantial power to your team by itself, that would basically negate all the shittiness of the Fest units, but as it stands the NEED to get 2 of every unit and the DESIRE to get 4 or more of a unit makes this system beyond awful.

To me this sounds less like blatant greed, or Alim trying to milk its most loyal and spendy players and more like them trying to rebalance the economy in which units are obtained, but failing to consider the mess that is their 7* and STMR systems. This seems like kind of an eventuality given the age of FFBE and how many layers of shit and systems it has accumulated over the years.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. If I'm being honest, the vast majority of us probably should have dropped this game the instant 7* meta became a thing. It's hard enough to draw rainbows in this game, much less on banner rainbows on a potentially split banner, when needing 2-4 of them. Like the game is so absurdly stacked against us even without these new Summon Fests. If/when they do show up here it should rightfully be the last straw.

Lyrian

Oct 27, 2017
Watched (most of) Claic's video about the summon fest issues in JP and I finally understand what the issue is. On its face, it looks like basically what has been a thing in Puzzle and Dragons for years with their Godfests and "Godfest Exclusive" units, meaning it was a special pool that could only be summoned from when a godfest happened (twice a month) and it was kind of an ever growing pool.

There are a ton of big differences between these systems in PAD and FFBE tho, the biggest of which is the fact that in FFBE, getting 1 of any unit is practically useless. You NEED 2 at a minimum, and it's desirable to get as many as 4 or 6 of said units.

I would agree that SummonFest is pretty much a carbon copy of PAD Godfests, but I think you're slightly off target.

I agree with your logic regard in dupes in PAD v/ FFBE, if you are strictly talking about leader units. After all, there can only be one player chosen team leader, so dupe meta leader units are near pointless. On the other hand, if we are talking about sub units, the more dupes of a meta sub for a given team build, the better. Similar to FFBE, nothing synergizes better with a meta sub than a dupe of that meta sub unit.

The problem here is not so much that FFBE is shifting over to a Godfest-like system. Strictly speaking, a banner like the Lunafreya banner happens during every single Godfest (and even during Super and Player's Choice Godfests). That's actually quite fine, in a vacuum. But....

-- Strike 1: FFBE is switching it's primary gacha mechanics in mid-life. That's a **huge** no-no. For better or worse, for all of the reinventions of PAD's Godfests over time, the core gacha mechanic has stayed the same for seven years. That gives consistency to the player base and assists players in accepting modifications to that system over time. FFBE (in JP) is actively changing their primary gacha model in the middle of the game's life.

-- Strike 2: If you're going to swallow the poison pill of changing your primary gacha model, go all the way. Go full stupid. Don't half ass it. What did Alim do? Make the SummonFest pool of units **start** at Year 4 and ignore the first 3 years of units. Fabulous. Now you have dual gacha systems competing with each other.

-- Strike 3: It's apparent that the adoption of the SummonFest system is an attempt to fix epic screwups regarding decisions made with the UoC system there that Alim is very deeply regretting (far, far too many UoC tickets given out). The players know this; they aren't stupid. In the end, the players are angry because they are perceiving that Alim is punishing their success at the game. This isn't accurate, but as any PR person will tell you.... it's not what you say or mean, it's all about how the audience of a communication perceives your message. And given that Reddit has been constantly burning for nearly 3 days now over this, with the inferno actually still intensifying, it's a really safe bet to say that players are royally pissed off.

Yeah.... without some sort of mea culpa from Alim, JP is semi screwed.

Now, looking at Global, it's obvious at this point that Gumi is trying to steer the Titanic away from the ice fields to prevent history from repeating itself. Not bringing the Whalerena to Global to avoid the largest potential long-term source of UoC tickets is clearly a move to avoid needing to evoke "emergency measures" that are resulting in the current disaster on JP. The Mog King revamp will probably happen on GL, with maybe a more regular progression table instead of the famine-mode prize tiers on JP.

Although some new monetization ideas are originating in Global (such as direct purchases of older units for $25 USD each), at this point JP is really the beta server for all the kinks to be worked out monetization models launched on JP before being released to the Global server. I feel bad for all the suffering that the JP is going through right now so that the culture shock won't be so intense when and if some version of this comes to Global in the future.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
GLEX Glexstar: Zeno of the Beta Star has DR, AT, AR and BS/SB (esther) frames.

TDW unit. has the 200% TDH and 6x chain caps. and has triple cast

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed on everything Lyrian I know some sub dupes are helpful in PAD, but I always figured it was like 1-2 dupes tops, outside of specific system teams, but it's been a year or so since I followed PAD meta so idunno what it's like now, just that the GFE system is similar to what FFBE JP got.

If Alim/Gumi are looking for more ways to monetize their game, I'll give them a nice easy one. PRICE LAPIS AND BUNDLES AT A REASONABLE RATE SO THERE IS A MIDDLE GROUND BETWEEN BEING 100% FREE TO PLAY AND BEING A MILLIONAIRE WHALE. I have played this game in a state of purgatory for YEARS now where I spend almost nothing on it but have been practically BEGGING for ways to help support the game, but the only ways I have to do that are by buying ridiculously overpriced lapis, or bundles that give an absurd value per dollar spent (they only look even marginally appealing because they are often compared to the exorbitant lapis costs). There are literally ZERO mid-tier things to purchase in this game that give a good value per dollar spent when I think about what I could be doing with my money elsewhere. The only exception being Fountain of Lapis, of which I've bought every one.

Look at the fucking prices in this game right now. If you want to spend money to do ONE 10+1 pull (which aren't even that good) you have to spend $40 U.S. Dollars! If you want to do an entire banner step up you have to pay around $150 fucking U.S. Dollars!!! $150 fucking dollars for one guaranteed 5* unit! It literally shocks me that there are people out there who patronize these kinds of games at these prices.

I know everybody has their own sense of value when they play games like this and by all means if you're a chemical engineer out there with enough expendable bank to throw on your Final Fantasy gambling machine, by all means knock yourself out, but I can't possible be the only person who feels like this, can I? If I wanted to just throw Gumi a quick tenner or $20 just to help support the game, what does it get me? Half a 10+1 pull? Fucking please.

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the spoiler, Gumi :P
No surprise Gumi screwed up Esther, now they gotta find how to make other physical unit or banner relevant until CG Lightning.

Problem with Zeno is the same as Akstar, you need their STMR and good increase ATK with Katana/Clothes equips so even if he's stronger than Esther, he's also harder to gear. Looks like a whale bait.

Consiracy theory : Gumi knew you need the STMR so they diluted the banner to make it 2x harder to get.

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Also "TDH meta" seems more like "STMR meta" currently. It's really really cool imo that we got a GL exclusive version of Akstar, but I don't see him being more popular or useful than all the 2.5k+ ATK Esthers already out there.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
As said in Discord, most likely that 200% TDW is new cap, not that the new unit has inbuild 200% TDW already. So better to wait the unit to be in pool and get information before pulling.

Oh for sure, also I very much doubt that he's gonna be stronger than Esther.
I don't plan on pulling either way, gotta build up my stash for FFVII.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
lol talk about dropping a major spoiler xd. Dont care for either unit tbh. Hate Akstar so much as it is.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who hits skip every time I see a cutscene idk who tf Akster even is. Rain's grandpa or some shit I assume?

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people on Reddit worried that Zeno would outdamage Esther, going even to the point of fanboyism (hating the new shiny stuff)
Honestly, it's unnecesary, as long as Global don't buff trials (or a GLEX one), all that powercreep right now is not needed.
As someone who hits skip every time I see a cutscene idk who tf Akster even is. Rain's grandpa or some shit I assume?
If I remember correctly :
Akstar is Zeno without armor, and he is actually Rain from the future who failed to kill the Emperor (and lost half his limbs), the real Akstar let future Rain borrow his name so he can help train Lasswell in the hope of managing to kill the Emperor this time

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always so glad when I ask about the story in this game cause the answer I get is more bananas than I could have ever expected.

OP
OP
Kouriozan

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always so glad when I ask about the story in this game cause the answer I get is more bananas than I could have ever expected.
In the story at the moment, they also reveal that the mirror of equity techniques are only shared to those with royal Aldore blood (Raegen created it and shared with the old Emperor 700 years ago) and so the Emperor keep asking why Asktar/Zeno can use that.

Last edited:

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see a problem, I actually like what Gumi is doing with the Global Version, which right now is better than the Jp version (our banners are better too).
They are making a new unit so people have a reason to pull after Esther, even if he's better than her (and he won't, Esther isn't just damage, she has bulk, evade, easy rotation, easy to gear) Esther will still last until CG Bartz and more since she's going to get enhancements, on the other hand people who missed Esther can pull on a new strong unit. Nobody loses. I'm actually more interested in the normal Akstar since I still don't have a Marshall Glove, but I'm probably going to skip the banner for Aerith.

As for the Fan Festival banners in Japan, when and if the time comes I'm going drop the game. The Lunafreya banner is ridiculously bad (24k lapis and no guaranteed banner).

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate the Global Exclusive story characters.

I appreciate the power that the unit might have.

I don't appreciate being completely out of resources.

I'll probably wait until 3rd anniversary and see what happens. Otherwise I may be saving until the Lenna/Bartz banner.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Hey new thread!

My New Thread's Resolution is going to be to finish all the 3* esper fights before OT3!
Think I'm ahead of schedule. I need a way to farm more supercites! I think I have enough white supers to max out 3* Alex when I get him, but aside from that 700 or so white supercites I'm completely tapped out.

A0rynLI.png