• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I know this is a scorching hot take of the most timely kind, but fuck me blitzball is awful. Let's attach a fuck load of numbers to everything and then make it so those numbers barely ever matter.
While I find Blitzball to be a shitload of fun personally, the fact that a stats based game is affected by RNG is horse shit.

Luckily, it's also one of the easiest minigames to cheese in the history of the franchise

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/...us-xenogears-crossover-adds-6-familiar-faces/

finalfantasybraveexviusxenogears_thumb.png

HUUUUUURRGHHMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNGHHHHAAAAAAAAAA

Sigh...Brave Exvius is an extremely well made mobile game but I could never find the time to do the heavy amount of grinding required to get the big rewards.

I still found it hilariously cruel that Tifa was intentionally made to be the rarest character to earn in the last FFVII event. I already expect Emeralda will now be the rarest while I end up rolling about 50 Chu-Chus.

I've been waiting for that event. I'm going to blow through every free summon ticket I have. I've already gotten a 5* Fei, Elly, and Bart.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
OK I really need some blitzball tips. The guides I've read say that the basic way to cheese is grab brother, swim around until the team is all gathered up, outswim them and pass to tidus. Thing is the keepers I'm coming up against have more catch than his shot even when I'm jecht shotting, so I can be next to the goal and still never score.

Oct 25, 2017
OK I really need some blitzball tips. The guides I've read say that the basic way to cheese is grab brother, swim around until the team is all gathered up, outswim them and pass to tidus. Thing is the keepers I'm coming up against have more catch than his shot even when I'm jecht shotting, so I can be next to the goal and still never score.

Swim around and constantly pass back and forth between Tidus and Brother to level up super fast.
Jecht Shot should not be blockable at point blank early on. It completely bypasses 2 blockers and the shot power should easily score against any keeper.
After several games, your stats will be insane and you can easily dominate every game.
Nimrook, the initial Al Bhed keeper is the only character in the league that should be giving you any trouble with blocking Jecht Shot, but that's only after their team has leveled up a bit after a few tournaments. (Recruit Nimrook immediately if he ever loses his contract).

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Swim around and constantly pass back and forth between Tidus and Brother to level up super fast.
Jecht Shot should not be blockable at point blank early on. It completely bypasses 2 blockers and the shot power should easily score against any keeper.
After several games, your stats will be insane and you can easily dominate every game.
Nimrook, the initial Al Bhed keeper is the only character in the league that should be giving you any trouble with blocking Jecht Shot, but that's only after their team has leveled up a bit after a few tournaments. (Recruit Nimrook immediately if he ever loses his contract).
Yeah it was Nimrook who was blocking me. Is it worth resetting data if he's already levelled enough that he's giving me trouble?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

You just have to keep trying, sometimes you'll score even when your shooting is lower than the keeper's catch. You get experience for using techs so just pass around with pass techs to level everyone up quickly, and always use tackles even if they're not needed

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was Nimrook who was blocking me. Is it worth resetting data if he's already levelled enough that he's giving me trouble?

You should still be able to score by hitting him with other debuff shots first, or getting a clean shot at him with Jecht Shot or Jecht Shot 2 with him taking all the hits.
If your only goal is the Jupiter Sigil and World Champion, then resetting the data until the reward you want is available works. Going back to level one is really disappointing though.
Eventually, if you keep playing, Nimrook will be unsigned and you can get him to be your keeper. Then the world is yours lol.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Well after 1 game of passing to build up some stats the Besaid Aurochs are now the most dominant team in Blitzball history, regularly winning 8-0.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 25, 2017
Well after 1 game of passing to build up some stats the Besaid Aurochs are now the most dominant team in Blitzball history, regularly winning 8-0.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol. Told you. You get insanely overpowered.
Nimrook can STILL be a pain after sever completed leagues though.
And by a pain, I mean you'll beat all other teams 10-0 but his team only 4-0.

Letty in particular tends to get ridiculously good after a while

Yeah. I think all of the Aurochs actually have "Onion Knight" status and all become the best players in the league at level 90+.
Most are never going to get there though. Letty is pretty decent from the get go though. One of the few I don't replace.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I had intended to 100% FFX until i noticed that Wakka's ultimate weapon requires you to win a bunch of blitzball, immediately dropped that idea after seeing that. Dodging 200 lightning bolts is nothing compared to that type of torture.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I had intended to 100% FFX until i noticed that Wakka's ultimate weapon requires you to win a bunch of blitzball, immediately dropped that idea after seeing that. Dodging 200 lightning bolts is nothing compared to that type of torture.
I would think the 100+ hours of grinding required to beat Penance would be more of a deterrant than like 4 hours of Blitzball, but whatever

Oct 25, 2017
I would think the 100+ hours of grinding required to beat Penance would be more of a deterrant than like 4 hours of Blitzball, but whatever

4 hours is like, a best case scenario. I think I had over 15 hours in my last playthrough.
Grinding is actually pretty fast other than fortune spheres cause of Earth Eater's long spell animations.
Actually catching 10 of every monster is more of a grind.

Can't you also just zanmato penance?

If all you care about is the trophy, sure. But where's the fun in that?
It's also incredibly expensive and you'll need to have already beaten the Dark Aeons to unlock him, so the extra grind for Penance is just like 1 hour for farming items for anti Penance accessories.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
4 hours is like, a best case scenario. I think I had over 15 hours in my last playthrough.
Grinding is actually pretty fast other than fortune spheres cause of Earth Eater's long spell animations.
Actually catching 10 of every monster is more of a grind.

If all you care about is the trophy, sure. But where's the fun in that?
It's also incredibly expensive and you'll need to have already beaten the Dark Aeons to unlock him, so the extra grind for Penance is just like 1 hour for farming items for anti Penance accessories.
Ah, didn't know you needed to do those first.

Also I'm up to the point of approaching sin, never got here when I played it first time round, is there a clear point of no return to save at? Think I'll go for the platinum over a few weeks, but tempted to just finish the story first.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, didn't know you needed to do those first.

Also I'm up to the point of approaching sin, never got here when I played it first time round, is there a clear point of no return to save at? Think I'll go for the platinum over a few weeks, but tempted to just finish the story first.

You can definitely go most of the way through Sin and then leave, you need to if you want to finish the monster arena. Without spoiling too much, when the scenery changes in the sin dungeon you'll know you're near the end

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so game time: you have to design a semi-realistic Final Fantasy Classic Collection in the vein of Konami's. 8ish games each. I realise most will just say lol 1-9 but I'm going to give something I at least think is semi realistic.

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon 2

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Okay so game time: you have to design a semi-realistic Final Fantasy Classic Collection in the vein of Konami's. 8ish games each. I realise most will just say lol 1-9 but I'm going to give something I at least think is semi realistic.

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Final Fantasy Adventure
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon 2
I'd like (with trophies):

Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I'm finally ready to replay XV with the July and Royal Edition updates and was wondering what the best way to play it is. Should I start a new playthrough or go with NG+? I don't really want to breeze through the game but I also don't want to spend time grinding to fight the new end bosses.

Thanks.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play Final Fantasy III for the first time, as I loved the Crystal Tower bit in FFXIV and expect more references to the game coming in Shadowbringers.

What's the best version of the game (PC, iPad)?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I want to play Final Fantasy III for the first time, as I loved the Crystal Tower bit in FFXIV and expect more references to the game coming in Shadowbringers.

I'd go with the original cart if you can, translation is goofed but it's got the best music+sprite work. GBA version has a fixed script but goofed soundtrack. PC/Mobile has fixed script and non-goofed sound but it looks like shit.

NVM, I goofed.

For what it's worth, I have it on Vita and 3DS and it seems fine on both of those. Not sure about the PC/Mobile ports.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'd go with the original cart if you can, translation is goofed but it's got the best music+sprite work. GBA version has a fixed script but goofed soundtrack. PC/Mobile has fixed script and non-goofed sound but it looks like shit.

There is no GBA version of Final Fantasy III. He means the actual Final Fantasy III, not VI.

Oct 25, 2017

Gameplay wise, the original NES version still holds up quite well, though the final dungeon is stupid and requires some grinding because of some very unfair insta-wipe meteor casts enemies can do near the end. Save states alleviate this. The later dungeons also get really bad with the hidden passages. The story in this version is incredibly bare bones.

The DS version has a much more fleshed out story. Characters get a ton more development. It's still a very simple story, but it's improved enough to make you actually feel attached to the characters.
Gameplay wise, the balance is a little wonky cause they couldn't have as many enemies at once as the NES version. It's still good though. The later dungeons also have some save points added, and the hidden passages are much easier to see. The unfair enemies are also fixed. There's also a bonus super boss that requires some friend messaging on the DS version, but this is fixed on the PC/PSP/iOS version which should all be basically the same.

So either the PC version, or emulate the NES version I'd say.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the celestial weapons in FFX. I've got all the reels for Wakka but the sigil isn't showing up as a league prize. If I wait will it cycle or do I need to play the league again for it to show? I don't know if I can do 20 more games D:

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the celestial weapons in FFX. I've got all the reels for Wakka but the sigil isn't showing up as a league prize. If I wait will it cycle or do I need to play the league again for it to show? I don't know if I can do 20 more games D:

You can always just keep resetting blitzball data until it shows up, if you dont mind dropping everyone back to level 1

Oct 25, 2017

You need to complete the entire league for a new prize to appear, or reset the data, if you don't mind starting over.

If you do not want to reset the data you just need to do one more 10 game league.
What you want to do is finish the League.
DO NOT choose "Play Blitzball". Just Exit and Save. Choosing "Play Blitzball" cements the next League prize in.
Save your game.
Then go back in and choose "Play Blitzball". If it's not the Sigil, reload your save until it is.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Hello; I'm about to buy Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for the Nintendo Switch. It's between the Asian version, & the Japanese version.

Question is, which is the best one to have? It comes down to dual audio, English text/subtitles when playing in Japanese version, & possible updates (though I heard that there's no specific Asian Nintendo eShop, just a Japanese one, so that may be a big flaw for the Asian version, as some Asian versions of games have absolutely no patches &/or DLC involved).

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there was an update for FF XII today on PS4. I thought for sure it would be about the additions the Switch and Xbox versions are getting but the patchnotes only mention "minor bug fixes". Unbelievable.

Jan 11, 2018
So there was an update for FF XII today on PS4. I thought for sure it would be about the additions the Switch and Xbox versions are getting but the patchnotes only mention "minor bug fixes". Unbelievable.

Square couldn't care less about their consumers, let alone early adopters. If you bought any of their games on PS4 that later came out on other systems you got the short end of the stick (DQXI and FFXII HD for example). Either that, or they were broken on disc and in need of serious patch work (like FFX/X-2 HD and Secret of Mana 3D). Or they came with annoying bugs that were never patched (like FFVII and FFIX).

I'm done buying products from this arrogant and lousy company on day one.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square couldn't care less about their consumers, let alone early adopters. If you bought any of their games on PS4 that later came out on other systems you got the short end of the stick (DQXI and FFXII HD for example). Either that, or they were broken on disc and in need of serious patch work (like FFX/X-2 HD and Secret of Mana 3D). Or they came with annoying bugs that were never patched (like FFVII and FFIX).

I'm done buying products from this arrogant and lousy company on day one.

But it's really funny. This update doesn't even make sense. The last update for FF XII is more than a year old, what's is even going on.

Jan 11, 2018
It's Square Enix. Their not know for being logical.

I would love to see both FFX/X-2 and FFXII get re-released on PS4 with all the updates on disc, including stuff like 60 fps and job reset in FFXII (which should also be added to the Steam version). They can just package them in a single package like KH The Story So Far. But yeah, that's not gonna happen. We're stuck with the inferior versions :( I guess the silver lining is that they might try to re-release them on PS5 - and still charge €50.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Square Enix. Their not know for being logical.

I would love to see both FFX/X-2 and FFXII get re-released on PS4 with all the updates on disc, including stuff like 60 fps and job reset in FFXII (which should also be added to the Steam version). They can just package them in a single package like KH The Story So Far. But yeah, that's not gonna happen. We're stuck with the inferior versions :( I guess the silver lining is that they might try to re-release them on PS5 - and still charge €50.

The job reset is such a coold feature, I'm so mad PS4 version isn't getting it. I secretely hope this update is actually about this but they can't "enable it" till the other versions launch.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, playing FFVII again on Vita is sure bringing up lots of nostalgia.

I was thinking of buying the Switch version but I already have the PS4 and Vita version. :P