• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
What do y'all think about Final Fantasy V? It is the only one that I haven't really played (somehow.. I think I sold my gameboy right after I beat Final Fantasy VI for the first time so I didn't have the option of buying it) but I've heard good things about it from some friends. Mainly Faris and Gilgamesh. Want to try it out soon.
Legit one of the best games in the series, and infinitely replayable.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta love V - it opened up the notion of a FF multiverse while sticking Ifrit, avatar of fire, in a fricking library, and giving its wind-crystal-chosen protagonist a fear of heights.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
V is the saturday morning cartoon FF of the series. I say that as a good thing.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose anyone who's got Maduin in world of ff would mind trading him with me? The mini game to get him is a pain in the butt
EDIT: never mind! I got lucky and got the momento

Aaannnd Platinum :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't suppose anyone who's got Maduin in world of ff would mind trading him with me? The mini game to get him is a pain in the butt
EDIT: never mind! I got lucky and got the momento

Aaannnd Platinum :)

lol
Same thing happened with me. At first glance it seemed nearly impossible and then suddenly I got lucky and found all of his pieces in 1 or 2 tries and eviscerated him.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Screenshot_20180205_185534.png

Screenshot_20180205_185544.png

Screenshot_20180205_185550.png

Everyone play this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play OO. I have it downloaded. Haven't gotten around to starting between XIV and Dissidia NT though. I couldn't get into RK due to it not really having a story, but the dialogue in OO looks great.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
you have no idea how much filler there is that you're obliged to watch so you don't accidentally miss the one-in-a-million lines like the above

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol

Yeah, the game is full of repetition, but from time to time you get gems like that one. It's still better than whatever the hell NT was supposed to be. As for the game itself, it's simple (for now), but fun. I mean, it's free, might as well give it a try.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I picked up the PS4 version of FFIX for the first time in forever a few days ago and finished it last night. The first time I played it was about 15 years ago and the last time I went through the whole game was about 10 years ago. This time was seriously like playing it for the first time in terms of actually understanding what the game is trying to say. A lot of JRPGs and anime go from being very literal (theatre troupe thieves kidnapping a princess) to completely esoteric (human evolution/the nature of reality) by the end so when I was younger I'd kind of check out by the end and just want to finish the game. Going through it now illuminated a layer of depth that I could always sense but couldn't really articulate in the past.

Still, from the beginning of the ending cinematic to the end of the credits, I was sobbing. Such a perfect way to end a game.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the PS4 version of FFIX for the first time in forever a few days ago and finished it last night. The first time I played it was about 15 years ago and the last time I went through the whole game was about 10 years ago. This time was seriously like playing it for the first time in terms of actually understanding what the game is trying to say. A lot of JRPGs and anime go from being very literal (theatre troupe thieves kidnapping a princess) to completely esoteric (human evolution/the nature of reality) by the end so when I was younger I'd kind of check out by the end and just want to finish the game. Going through it now illuminated a layer of depth that I could always sense but couldn't really articulate in the past.

Still, from the beginning of the ending cinematic to the end of the credits, I was sobbing. Such a perfect way to end a game.
If you want FFIX to really make you cry, try going for platinum.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I feel attacked by that FF7 description. It's not really accurate. Weirdly, the FFXV one is somehow more on point...

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
The XII description fits.
On the other hand, IX is my favourite and that is about as foreign to me as can be.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt anyone who got into FFXI didn't play other FFs, so it's hard to take the image seriously - at least before...

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
dear friends i have discovered that Warrior of Light helmet + Wakka face = FIERCE SAMURAI

y2l9j1D.png

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing both XV and World of Final Fantasy right now.

I actually tried XV a while back and quit pretty early on. Going through it again, I like it even less. Some of these cutscenes are very poorly directed, the voice acting is really bad at times, the Open World is not at all compelling, there's no character development to speak of (and that's the main cast, the secondary characters are basically cardboard cutouts), even basic world building isn't included, character motivations are either really thin or extremely vague, and nothing happens in this story for so long. You complete glorified fetch quests for hours on end while all the cool stuff happens off screen.

With World of Final Fantasy I'm having a blast. I might just drop XV in favor of just playing WoFF.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Final Fantasy XV changes quite a bit later on (arguably for the worse), so you might as well keep going and see what you think about the later parts.

World of Final Fantasy is a far better game, though.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Chapter 13. What the fuck, man?

These villains managed to be even more underbaked than XIII's villains. Arenea had a single cutscene before you fought her and then by the next time you meet her she's already ready to leave the Empire. Ravus had, like, three cutscenes and yet he gets a ton of sad music and a massive boss battle and a "he had hopes and dreams" spiel? The goddamn Emperor himself had a single cutscene and is reduced to a mid-level enemy. Hell, I forgot the fucker's name until the bros mentioned "Is that the Emperor?" And Ardyn constantly being on the intercomm. Yes Ardyn, I would feel all alone if you would shut the fuck up! Seriously, it was nonstop with that guy. And they seriously put all the demonblight stuff on optional files all around Chapter 13 ON TOP OF having Ardyn try to pull a "Who's the real monster" thing with the revelation about the MTs.

And what the fuck is a "Stitch in time"!?

You lied to me, Beef!

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

These villains managed to be even more underbaked than XIII's villains. Arenea had a single cutscene before you fought her and then by the next time you meet her she's already ready to leave the Empire. Ravus had, like, three cutscenes and yet he gets a ton of sad music and a massive boss battle and a "he had hopes and dreams" spiel? The goddamn Emperor himself had a single cutscene and is reduced to a mid-level enemy. Hell, I forgot the fucker's name until the bros mentioned "Is that the Emperor?" And Ardyn constantly being on the intercomm. Yes Ardyn, I would feel all alone if you would shut the fuck up! Seriously, it was nonstop with that guy. And they seriously put all the demonblight stuff on optional files all around Chapter 13 ON TOP OF having Ardyn try to pull a "Who's the real monster" thing with the revelation about the MTs.

You lied to me, Beef!
Yeah, I think he meant everything but that chapter gets better. Especially the next one. Speaking of that, might I suggest you wait a few days before proceeding? The next chapter is said to receive some big additions on the 6th of March.
The XV OT is also pretty active if you have any further questions.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You lied to me, Beef!
What it's worth knowing is that Aranea and Ravus get more exposure in the DLC episodes, that's obviously not a great way to tell the story but if you play those, their story is more satisfying.

On the subject of Ardyn. I will not hear you say a bad word against him. He's a great villain and has a solid amount of screen time, and his motivations make sense.

Everything else is spot on. The resolution of the empire/iedolas and demonblight/starscourge/whatever is poopants. That's widely acknowledged as one of THE greatest failings of the story. It just fizzes away as if it never mattered, despite it being the main drive of the first half of the game.

Not to defend that, but despite them saying there would be story revisions last year, we didn't really see any, and are expecting those improvements THIS year instead. So that could be fixed by year end.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think he meant everything but that chapter gets better. Especially the next one. Speaking of that, might I suggest you wait a few days before proceeding? The next chapter is said to receive some big additions on the 6th of March.
The XV OT is also pretty active if you have any further questions.

Thanks for the heads up!

What it's worth knowing is that Aranea and Ravus get more exposure in the DLC episodes, that's obviously not a great way to tell the story but if you play those, their story is more satisfying.

On the subject of Ardyn. I will not hear you say a bad word against him. He's a great villain and has a solid amount of screen time, and his motivations make sense.

Everything else is spot on. The resolution of the empire/iedolas and demonblight/starscourge/whatever is poopants. That's widely acknowledged as one of THE greatest failings of the story. It just fizzes away as if it never mattered, despite it being the main drive of the first half of the game.

Not to defend that, but despite them saying there would be story revisions last year, we didn't really see any, and are expecting those improvements THIS year instead. So that could be fixed by year end.

The problem is that that would require me to replay the game, and based off my impressions this time around, unless there are massive structural changes, I want no part of it.

And the thing about the add ons: It's like with Kingsglaive and Brotherhood. They're not really optional. Kingsglaive is literally the first act of the story and gives context to Ravus and his motivations otherwise he's just pretty much some rando who dies in Chapter 13 who's best known feature is that he's Luna's brother. Brotherhood isn't optional because it contains the actual backstories for the bros and how they met which are no where to be found in the game. Which is a pretty glaring omission considering the "roadtrip with the bros" aspect was touted as such a major part of the game. The DLC isn't optional because from the looks of it (I haven't actually played them, but have seen the trailers) and from what I have heard: Gladio's contains the only character development he gets in the game, Prompto's explains about him being an MT, and Ignis' stuff is about why he is blind which is a pretty big thing in Chapters 10 - 13, and it apparently fleshes out the villains. Going in without watching Kingsglaive or Brotherhood had me so flipping lost and the whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Gladio suddenly starts talking about Iris like I know WTF she is, or know what Ravus' motivation is (which is never actually explained in game but is in the movie), or know what the Ring of Lucis does and why the Empire is after it (again, movie explains this at the very least FAR better than the game does, if it does, which I don't remember), and so on.

I am just baffled as to how bad the storytelling is in XV.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up!

The problem is that that would require me to replay the game, and based off my impressions this time around, unless there are massive structural changes, I want no part of it.

And the thing about the add ons: It's like with Kingsglaive and Brotherhood. They're not really optional. Kingsglaive is literally the first act of the story and gives context to Ravus and his motivations otherwise he's just pretty much some rando who dies in Chapter 13 who's best known feature is that he's Luna's brother. Brotherhood isn't optional because it contains the actual backstories for the bros and how they met which are no where to be found in the game. Which is a pretty glaring omission considering the "roadtrip with the bros" aspect was touted as such a major part of the game. The DLC isn't optional because from the looks of it (I haven't actually played them, but have seen the trailers) and from what I have heard: Gladio's contains the only character development he gets in the game, Prompto's explains about him being an MT, and Ignis' stuff is about why he is blind which is a pretty big thing in Chapters 10 - 13, and it apparently fleshes out the villains. Going in without watching Kingsglaive or Brotherhood had me so flipping lost and the whole thing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Gladio suddenly starts talking about Iris like I know WTF she is, or know what Ravus' motivation is (which is never actually explained in game but is in the movie), or know what the Ring of Lucis does and why the Empire is after it (again, movie explains this at the very least FAR better than the game does, if it does, which I don't remember), and so on.

I am just baffled as to how bad the storytelling is in XV.
I would always say that Kingsglaive is "required" to fully understand the story. Its very bad that they segmented it off, because it is essentially a really long opening FMV to the game. But to be fair they did REALLY push the movie, so if you were going in skipping it, you must surely have known you'd be missing something. Although quite how much you'd be missing is definitely a problem.

As for everything else though, nah. Brotherhood is 100% not required watching. The reason FFXV doesn't give you a load of character exposition to introduce everyone is because that would be bad storytelling. That's what crappy sci fi tv shows do. FFXV throws you in the world as if you know everyone, and then teaches you about their relationships organically through their interactions. That's something FFXV does well for all the good guys. Similarly the idea that Gladiolus' best character development is in his episode isn't correct. His character development is in his interactions with the bros.

FFXV massively fails to do that for the secondary villains though. Kingsglaive gives you the much needed exposure to the empire (although not Ravus FYI, his motivations aren't explained until the episodes) and then the episodes give you the back story for Ravus and Verstael. They are secondary villains though so although it would have been better if this was in the main game, its not required.

I'm not really a staunch defender of the FFXV story, because it is badly told, but some of the things you're saying are just wrong (sorry), and i really dislike the spread of misinformation.