• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I quoted this in another thread and you replied here. Yeah that team is fire and I'm pretty sure I'm right for some of them.
I accidentally followed the post in quote into this thread, didn't realized I necroed your post here from two months ago, hah.

Though tbh I don't play XIV, so I don't know what to expect in terms of gameplay, or even sure if I'd like single-player FF to play like a MMO.

Deleted member 11663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DZgbXMYV4AA4yA6

Does anybody know who that character in the center is?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't really make any sense, given that he's not in Dissidia, but it looks like Locke to me.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah, apparently his voice actor made some reference to doing work for Dissidia. Plus we know we're getting one new male character from the first half of the series.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck LOCKE. My favorite character of all time! I need high res version of that art-- My boy gets ZERO play, it kills me!

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Final Fantasy Dimensions II.

Awful story, clearly just made up as they went along and too much repetition. The second Eureka arc is actually much better though.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fitting choice for this Dissidia, especially after people have been wanting characters with more esoteric potential like Edgar and Setzer for years.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay time to rank the Distant Worlds albums.

I just properly started listening to the 4th and I actually think it's the best! III was really poor but I think my personal ranking is IV>II>I>>>III

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'll join just to complain about how awful FF fans can be sometimes. :)

Edit: oh wait I'm already there lol.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Square Enix thread recently reminded me how awful fairweather square fans are. So many hot takes, so little intelligent discussion.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing FFXIV when I can recently, taking a break from Stormblood and moving back to the trophy hunting. I've managed to get all but 1,000 fish and 1,000 leves. For both I have about 250 to go! I'll
get back to Stormblood, then alexander, the new patches then wrap up the final few trophies at the end of the month!

Still not played Dissidia :(

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been playing FFXIV when I can recently, taking a break from Stormblood and moving back to the trophy hunting. I've managed to get all but 1,000 fish and 1,000 leves. For both I have about 250 to go! I'll
get back to Stormblood, then alexander, the new patches then wrap up the final few trophies at the end of the month!

Still not played Dissidia :(

I'm still only at 500 leves lol. I keep putting it off. It's so boring. It's all I have left though. I was gonna just level fisher to 70 on leves, but when you get above 50, leves start to only be in Ishgard. Going back and forth from Ishgard for every leve really put me off.

I still haven't done much in Dissidia. I unlocked a few scenes and have 1 trophy. Then I got distracted by Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered and am now catching up on that series. Playing Unity now lol.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still only at 500 leves lol. I keep putting it off. It's so boring. It's all I have left though. I was gonna just level fisher to 70 on leves, but when you get above 50, leves start to only be in Ishgard. Going back and forth from Ishgard for every leve really put me off.

I still haven't done much in Dissidia. I unlocked a few scenes and have 1 trophy. Then I got distracted by Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered and am now catching up on that series. Playing Unity now lol.
Oh god no that'd be too boring for me too. I'm doing an easy potion leve In horizon. Can usually knock out 100 leves in an hour and then come back when I've got enough allowances.

Fishing I just do in limsa if I'm ever waiting on a duty.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god no that'd be too boring for me too. I'm doing an easy potion leve In horizon. Can usually knock out 100 leves in an hour and then come back when I've got enough allowances.

Fishing I just do in limsa if I'm ever waiting on a duty.

Yeah. I'll probably end up doing that. There's a fast leve in South Shroud where you collect Adamantoise eggs that I did about 300 times to level all of my classes to 30. Part of me wants to be doing worthwhile grinding if I'm gonna grind, but there's always something else like relics to grind for so I never get to it. I'm starting to really want to just get that platinum out of the way though. Been at 97% for too long now.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
You know when they announced a new original Final Fantasy manga my first thought wasn't that it was gonna be a bogstandard, kinda shitty isekai, yet he we are.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Second, the FFV OVA was first, no?

Anyways, was Unlimited bad? I've never actually watched it.
I don't count it because it barely had anything to do with V or FF in general.

Unlimited was extremely boring and formulaic, every episode played out the same except towards the end, but I dropped it before I could finish it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't count it because it barely had anything to do with V or FF in general.

Unlimited was extremely boring and formulaic, every episode played out the same except towards the end, but I dropped it before I could finish it.

I liked Unlimited. My main problem was that it never finished and to get the whole story you need to read short novels and then the audio dramas.

The FFV OVA annoys me because it was never released on DVD. I feel like my FF collection is incomplete. It was related to FFV though. Mid is a fairly major character in it.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
Heya, what would you recommend me to play next?

So far, my story with FF series:

FF1 - didn't play it, i have ios version.

FF2 - played about a half of it, ios version. I liked it for what it is (it's interesting with those key words, level-what-you-use, and overall voyage in world was cool, also awesomely awesome music).

FF3 - played ios version, liked but dont really remember. Didnt go for bonus dungeon. Still laughing at that boss battle where everyone better be Dragoon. Really loved how Zantetsuken looked dramatically! Darkness, then shining blade cross, then... death.

FF4 - played ios version, dropped somewhere before end. Been thinking about hunting for psp's release for 2d graphics. It was epic with those trips up and down, though.

FF5 - as usual, on ios... Liked it pretty much, having fun with job system! Some classes really were special. Not sure if i ever beaten final boss, though (i usually rush my jrpgs a bit. I, like, died 20 times on Giga Gaia in Chrono Trigger)

FF6 - played it long time ago, dropped it at some point cause i was way underleveled and there was no a way back to old locations afaik (start of 2nd part of game). That being said, enjoyed it much, looking forward to try again one day. I still remember atmosphere of those urban towns with giant thugs.

FF7 - never played (spoilers, too much hype, and dislike visual style)

FF8 - played it long long time ago... I guess i dropped it when i got ability to freeroam the world by water (well i got sucked in parasite eve, i think). I remember that i liked its weird atmosphere, and summons and bosses were crazy. Mind-blowing CG FMV, too.

FF9 - never played.

FFX - finally played it with relatively recent re-release, after many years since i saw trailer of it in 2001's game magazine. Very touching story, interesting world and lovable characters, and that hamauzu/uematsu/nakano music... Gameplay-wise though, as you see i'm fan of job system, so this time it was a bit of step back... I surely had more fun with blue mages in ff5 than with Kimahri here, for example. Though, Rikku's barman mixing was cool, etc. Advanced sphere grid - ok. Oh, and those summons were very epic.

FFX-2 - same with X, one of games i was waiting to play since 15 years ago yet only got to play it recently. Well, i liked it pretty much. All those dresssphere classes are hilarious (festivalist ftw). I personally dont agree with "they spoiled it" mindset, imho its like Lulu said... "Now it's time to live for yourself, Yuna". So its very light and bright game for me. Didn't play much that shiren the wanderer-alike bonus game, though.

FF XII - never played

FF XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns - never played; though i know music is awesome; and i believer combat may be fun as Tri-Ace helped with it.

FF XV - never played

FF Tactics - played ios version (sharp gfx, yummi). It was... fantastic!!! And while it was a game where i enjoyed just playing random battles as i liked core gameplay that much, i was surprised that plot is very good, too. Looking forward Tactics Ogre etc. now.. On a fun note, i was angry that FF6, 8 and others pay so much attention to summons, so i played FFT without them :p lol, for now at least.

Crisis Core - never played (sorry for confusion before)

Type-0 - played hd release. Loved it pretty much! Beatemup'ish combat system with tons of cool abilities for diffferent characters who have different style, dark and crazy setting/plot, epic battles (including mechas), music etc etc. Currently on ng+ for those alternative missions. I kind of fear that ff15 might be a step back in some regards. Oh, i love that whip-blade of Seven.

Crystal Chronicles spin-off, mmo titles, etc. - never played.

=bonus mention of SaGa series for the sake of blood relatives=

Last Remnant - wow that was grand. At first didnt understand it, though, needed time to get into system.

Romancing SaGa 2 - i've rerelease on steam and ios, played a bit. Interesting... though oldschool (but i see innovations for time).

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

FF2 - played about a half of it, ios version. I liked it for what it is (it's interesting with those key words, level-what-you-use, and overall voyage in world was cool, also awesomely awesome music).

FF3 - played ios version, liked but dont really remember. Didnt go for bonus dungeon. Still laughing at that boss battle where everyone better be Dragoon. Really loved how Zantetsuken looked dramatically! Darkness, then shining blade cross, then... death.

FF4 - played ios version, dropped somewhere before end. Been thinking about hunting for psp's release for 2d graphics. It was epic with those trips up and down, though.

FF5 - as usual, on ios... Liked it pretty much, having fun with job system! Some classes really were special. Not sure if i ever beaten final boss, though (i usually rush my jrpgs a bit. I, like, died 20 times on Giga Gaia in Chrono Trigger)

FF6 - played it long time ago, dropped it at some point cause i was way underleveled and there was no a way back to old locations afaik (start of 2nd part of game). That being said, enjoyed it much, looking forward to try again one day. I still remember atmosphere of those urban towns with giant thugs.

FF8 - played it long long time ago... I guess i dropped it when i got ability to freeroam the world by water (well i got sucked in parasite eve, i think). I remember that i liked its weird atmosphere, and summons and bosses were crazy. Mind-blowing CG FMV, too.

FF9 - never played.

FFX - finally played it with relatively recent re-release, after many years since i saw trailer of it in 2001's game magazine. Very touching story, interesting world and lovable characters, and that hamauzu/uematsu/nakano music... Gameplay-wise though, as you see i'm fan of job system, so this time it was a bit of step back... I surely had more fun with blue mages in ff5 than with Kimahri here, for example. Though, Rikku's barman mixing was cool, etc. Advanced sphere grid - ok. Oh, and those summons were very epic.

FFX-2 - same with X, one of games i was waiting to play since 15 years ago yet only got to play it recently. Well, i liked it pretty much. All those dresssphere classes are hilarious (festivalist ftw). I personally dont agree with "they spoiled it" mindset, imho its like Lulu said... "Now it's time to live for yourself, Yuna". So its very light and bright game for me. Didn't play much that shiren the wanderer-alike bonus game, though.

FF XII - never played

FF XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns - never played; though i know music is awesome; and i believer combat may be fun as Tri-Ace helped with it.

FF XV - never played

FF Tactics - played ios version (sharp gfx, yummi). It was... fantastic!!! And while it was a game where i enjoyed just playing random battles as i liked core gameplay that much, i was surprised that plot is very good, too. Looking forward Tactics Ogre etc. now.. On a fun note, i was angry that FF6, 8 and others pay so much attention to summons, so i played FFT without them :p lol, for now at least.

Type-0 - played hd release. Loved it pretty much! Beatemup'ish combat system with tons of cool abilities for diffferent characters who have different style, dark and crazy setting/plot, epic battles (including mechas), music etc etc. Currently on ng+ for those alternative missions. I kind of fear that ff15 might be a step back in some regards. Oh, i love that whip-blade of Seven.

Last Remnant - wow that was grand. At first didnt understand it, though, needed time to get into system.

Romancing SaGa 2 - i've rerelease on steam and ios, played a bit. Interesting... though oldschool (but i see innovations for time).
FFXV. If PC is an option, you could always try the free playable demo.

I would have suggested FFVII but it's probably best to wait for the Remake at this point. Any day now!

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
150 gb sizes scares me off though :) and i was thinking about waiting when they finish with releasing those new dlcs etc.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
150 gb sizes scares me off though :) and i was thinking about waiting when they finish with releasing those new dlcs etc.
Yeah that's not ideal although the download file is not that big. 75 or so gb dl, 83gb for the full game after install without the 4k texture pack. I would recommend downloading it tho, it's worth the extra 60gb of dl.

Demo is around 21gb.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017

FFXII TZA is a decent alternative, if you want to wait for the "Complete Royal Alternate Ending" edition of XV.

If I were to give a recommendation based solely on your list, I'd recommend IX, especially since you've at least given most of the early games a try, which'll let you appreciate a lot of the nods to earlier games found in IX.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just play FFVII and go in with an open mind. Doesn't matter about the hype or whether it's overrated, you'll know it's a lot the very least a good game. Visual style wise that always becomes something you don't notice once you're in it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

FF9 - never played.

FF XII - never played

FF XV - never played

I'd say give 6 or 8 another try. You're really missing out by not seeing them to the end, 6 in particular because of its story. It may not have character classes they way you like, but with so many characters and customization, it's the second best thing.

If you don't want a replay, you can't go wrong with IX. Basically a remix of all past classic FF games with a charming story on top of it. You can even get it on ios if that's your thing!

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been to Round 1 at Great Lakes Crossing twice for only one purpose: Play Theatrhythm All-Star Carnival. Just had to scratch that Theatrhythm itch and I've been dying to try out ASC and it does not disappoint. Kinda weird that if the network is offline, I can only play two songs instead of three and it sucks that I can only choose from a small number of characters, but I'm still having fun.

I think what I like the most outside some of the new song selections and the album-like covers for each song is that I can sometimes play a album itself which covers five songs. Not complete songs obviously as they would each stop off at a certain point to move on to the next song. And there is always a recap after the third song. The album could be based off a single FF title, a collection of final boss music from five different games, a random mixture of battle and field music. It's a neat concept and would make for great customization that could be shared with others (sort like a Chaos Map except you can determine which songs go into the album)

As for the new songs....it's awesome I can play some tracks from FF XV (outside of Somnus) as well as XIV: Heavensward. Playing Heroes, Locus and Rise on both Expert and Ultimate is a treat cause I love those songs. And they have songs from Nier Automata, Dissida Arcade, Mobius and even World of Final Fantasy. There's other Square Enix titles included but most of them were already in Curtain Call. And you can't go wrong with FF song remixes which are also part of the game.

It did take a while to get use to the controls. It's a welcome change from using a stylus on the 3DS where my hand would feel a little shaky. I've gotten a few full chains but only on Expert. There's no way in hell I'll ever get an all critical chain but it feels good knowing I've hit SSS a few times. I did try Ultimate a couple of times just to see how well I could do without the risk of getting a game over. Best rank I've gotten was S on Blinded By Light, which is nice. I was able to unlock the hardest difficulty (which I guess is called "transcendent" according to the FF wiki) on that song and one of the Nier Automata songs. Not much trouble on the Automata song, but holy shit, that difficulty is straight up maddening on BBL. My ass got handed to me easily. Pretty sure I wounded up with an E rank >_____________<. I won't be trying that again ;_;

Outside of purchasing a few songs and getting a crystal shard from time to time, I really don't have anything else to add. I did see someone play on the 2nd cabinet next to me with a Nesica card once. I'll have to find out if Round 1 sells that. Not entirely sure what I could use it for the game but I know the game does have a card reader for it. Would I love to see the arcade version come to a console or handheld? It would be nice (especially on the Switch with two detachable joy-cons), but I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love for them to port All-Star Carnival to consoles. There aren't any machines that I know of in my state. I love theatrhythm but I never got that into it because of the low difficulty. ASC looks to be more in line with what I'm used to in rhythm games with the master difficulty songs I've seen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FF9 - never played.

FF XII - never played

FF XV - never played

I would definitely give VIII another try especially if you were already into its weird atmosphere (it gets weirder but in a good way) and IX is great: has a solid story, wonderful cast of characters, and one of the series' best minigames, chocobo hot and cold!

Jan 11, 2018
I forgot just how consistently great the Final Fantasy XIII soundtrack was.

Possibly my least favourite mainline Final Fantasy soundtrack. Hamauzu is talented, no doubt about it, but a small selection of pieces aside I really don't think his style goes well with Final Fantasy. That being said, his music for Dirge of Ceberus is top notch and too good for that game.

To this day I still wish that Uematsu had remained the sole composer for Final Fantasy X. But I guess having one foot in the past and one in the present is sort of a theme for that game, being a bridge between the old and the new.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Possibly my least favourite mainline Final Fantasy soundtrack. Hamauzu is talented, no doubt about it, but a small selection of pieces aside I really don't think his style goes well with Final Fantasy. That being said, his music for Dirge of Ceberus is top notch and too good for that game.

To this day I still wish that Uematsu had remained the sole composer for Final Fantasy X. But I guess having one foot in the past and one in the present is sort of a theme for that game, being a bridge between the old and the new.
Haha. Different strokes I guess. I found Uematsu to be the weak link of the three composers of X but he still had some great tracks (To Zanarkand, Yuna's Theme, Calm Before the Storm, Via Purifico, and The Battle with Seymour).

Jan 11, 2018
Agreed. Mizuta's style lends itself a lot more to Final Fantasy than Hamauzu's. Caius' Theme is epic. His work for FFXI is also incredibly under-rated.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, reposting this question from Reddit since I got no traction over there:

I have a lot of Final Fantasy artbooks and posters in my collection, but it's always been a goal of mine to buy an original Amano artwork. Not a print or lithograph, an actual painting of his. It doesn't even have to be game related, but I have no idea who to talk to about this kind of thing.

He must have an agent or gallery representing him, where should I begin? I'm sure someone on here has tried buying one.