• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
We're rating villains now? Here's my thoughts on the main series villains:

• I; Garland/Chaos, an absolute classic, what a nothing character. The most daimao of villains in the series. He's just a knight given a task by the lords of the elements and he gets killed 10 minutes in and by sheer plot contrivance gets sent back in time to become a demon and send the elemental fiends to the future. Who started this loop? Who knows, Garland sucks.
  • II; Emperor Mateus, dude literally made a deal with Satan, got killed had his souls split in two his good part going to heaven and his bad part to hell and his evil soul took over hell and his good soul took over heaven because even his good part was evil. Looks like David Bowie, what a badass.
  • III; Xande was one of three mages apprenticing under Noah and Noah decides to give gifts to all of their students: One gets all the knowledge of magic, one gets control of all dreams and Xande? Xande gets to fucking die. Xande is fucking piiiiiisssed. So he decides fuck the world i'm draining the light, and he fucking does and summons the Cloud of Darkness and then they both get chumped by the warriors of light. Moral: don't give awesome powers to two of your apprentices and then give the last one mortality and expect them not to try and kill the universe. I guess?
  • IV; Golbez is just Darth Vader. Zemus is a loser.
  • V; it's a fucking tree, 10/10
  • VI; Gestahl is a goon, "oh look at me, my sprite looks like a dog!", Kefka's a literal clown.
  • VII; Rufus is a doofus, Sephiroth is an interesting case study on what not to do with your villains. Having him not be an actual presence until the end of the game? Everyone constantly hyping him up? unintelligible connection to the main character? Mommy issues? B/10, try again.
  • VIII; Edea was a neat concept that's been done a billion times, "secret advisor to empire slowly controlling minds" double twist she's being controlled as well! Hey Edea, Golbez called, he wants his shtick back; Ultimecia is a weird idea with her sorceress powers originated in the future? There's a stable timeloop there or something? She gets persecuted because she did something in the past or something? She kinda just appears out of nowhere, Z/99 your dreams are unclear.
  • IX; I'm gonna be frank with y'all, I never finished IX. Goku/5, give your villains more clothes.
  • X; Seymore Guado doesn't fucking die. How the heck doesn't he die I killed him like 90 times fucking die. Sin is interesting as a villain, more a force of nature also he's gross. Yu Yevon ain't a character. ∞/
    78c211ce8badf4ffbf9417ecceb0ef7ab0a8caed
    , this ain't your fucking story Tidus this is Yuna's stop hoggin the limelight.
  • XI; The true enemy is actually Shantotto, huge spoilers, she's evil, DON'T BELIEVE HER RHYMING LIES
  • XII; I've played this game to completion like 3 times I can't fucking recall the villains what the fuck
  • XIII; The fal'cie are such nothing. The pope was one and he was neat before he turned into faces. Who the fuck spells it Jihl? The real villains are the friends we made along the way and/or Toriyama. IIII/XIII
  • XIV; By the twelve, Nael van Darnus deserved a better game. 1.0 in general deserved a better game. The Ascians are kinda boring, tbh. Their god is a fucking purple crystal, what a bunch of shadowless weirdos. Praise be to Hydaelyn/10.
  • XV; by Etro is the villain such a nothing character. They're trying to go for charismatic smarmy and missing completely. Get a better hat, ya doofus. I don't care how much the astrals made fun of you because you ate too much starscourge or whatever, you're not compelling. Every other villain dies off screen, what a great story.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
We're rating villains now? Here's my thoughts on the main series villains:

• I; Garland/Chaos, an absolute classic, what a nothing character. The most daimao of villains in the series. He's just a knight given a task by the lords of the elements and he gets killed 10 minutes in and by sheer plot contrivance gets sent back in time to become a demon and send the elemental fiends to the future. Who started this loop? Who knows, Garland sucks.
  • II; Emperor Mateus, dude literally made a deal with Satan, got killed had his souls split in two his good part going to heaven and his bad part to hell and his evil soul took over hell and his good soul took over heaven because even his good part was evil. Looks like David Bowie, what a badass.
  • III; Xande was one of three mages apprenticing under Noah and Noah decides to give gifts to all of their students: One gets all the knowledge of magic, one gets control of all dreams and Xande? Xande gets to fucking die. Xande is fucking piiiiiisssed. So he decides fuck the world i'm draining the light, and he fucking does and summons the Cloud of Darkness and then they both get chumped by the warriors of light. Moral: don't give awesome powers to two of your apprentices and then give the last one mortality and expect them not to try and kill the universe. I guess?
  • IV; Golbez is just Darth Vader. Zemus is a loser.
  • V; it's a fucking tree, 10/10
  • VI; Gestahl is a goon, "oh look at me, my sprite looks like a dog!", Kefka's a literal clown.
  • VII; Rufus is a doofus, Sephiroth is an interesting case study on what not to do with your villains. Having him not be an actual presence until the end of the game? Everyone constantly hyping him up? unintelligible connection to the main character? Mommy issues? B/10, try again.
  • VIII; Edea was a neat concept that's been done a billion times, "secret advisor to empire slowly controlling minds" double twist she's being controlled as well! Hey Edea, Golbez called, he wants his shtick back; Ultimecia is a weird idea with her sorceress powers originated in the future? There's a stable timeloop there or something? She gets persecuted because she did something in the past or something? She kinda just appears out of nowhere, Z/99 your dreams are unclear.
  • IX; I'm gonna be frank with y'all, I never finished IX. Goku/5, give your villains more clothes.
  • X; Seymore Guado doesn't fucking die. How the heck doesn't he die I killed him like 90 times fucking die. Sin is interesting as a villain, more a force of nature also he's gross. Yu Yevon ain't a character. ∞/
    78c211ce8badf4ffbf9417ecceb0ef7ab0a8caed
    , this ain't your fucking story Tidus this is Yuna's stop hoggin the limelight.
  • XI; The true enemy is actually Shantotto, huge spoilers, she's evil, DON'T BELIEVE HER RHYMING LIES
  • XII; I've played this game to completion like 3 times I can't fucking recall the villains what the fuck
  • XIII; The fal'cie are such nothing. The pope was one and he was neat before he turned into faces. Who the fuck spells it Jihl? The real villains are the friends we made along the way and/or Toriyama. IIII/XIII
  • XIV; By the twelve, Nael van Darnus deserved a better game. 1.0 in general deserved a better game. The Ascians are kinda boring, tbh. Their god is a fucking purple crystal, what a bunch of shadowless weirdos. Praise be to Hydaelyn/10.
  • XV; by Etro is the villain such a nothing character. They're trying to go for charismatic smarmy and missing completely. Get a better hat, ya doofus. I don't care how much the astrals made fun of you because you ate too much starscourge or whatever, you're not compelling. Every other villain dies off screen, what a great story.

So...what you are saying...is that they're all pretty good? :P

Last edited:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Has anybody ever checked the article series on "The Rise and Fall of Final Fantasy"? The author felt that Final Fantasy VII was the high point of the series. I thought it was amusing at certain points, but I am wondering if the author knows something about the development of the main series that I don't when he came up with silly tales of the game development for those games, like how Sakaguchi locked up the key developers in a room to force them to make a new Final Fantasy game after 7 (I won't be surprised if he made them all up).

Thank you for reading.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I beat FFVII for the first time last night. I had played it years ago and gotten to the end before I just...stopped playing because I didn't really care anymore. I definitely can say I've gain a deeper appreciation of the game replaying it compared to when then the first time I played it which was during my 'ugh FFVII is so overrated and the fans are annoying' phase (although the latter part is still somewhat true :p). I have to admit that I found the Safer Sephiroth fight anti-climatic/underwhelming because he died pretty quickly and I was expecting this epic battle considering how 'iconic' this fight is (and because I just beat VI for the first time and the final battle with Kefka is still fresh in my mind). As much as 14 year old me hates it, I definitely think this game is deserving of being in my top 5 FF games now (VIII, IX, X, X-2 - in no particular order - being the top four).

Jan 11, 2018
It's still my favourite out of the main instalments because it hits all the notes. It does pretty much everything well, even if it's far from perfect. My biggest gripe with it is the materia system, which just like the junction system and original license board is too generic. A lot of people roll their eyes at people who consider it their favourite though. People who are 2cool4school, basically. I guess the more popular something is the easier it is to dismiss it as overrated. It's like saying gen 1 is your favourite Pokémon gen - you'll get dismissed as "fake fan" by many.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. It isn't perfect but it's plot doesn't go off the rails like VIII, the pacing remains solid throughout unlike IX (looking at you disc three), etc. so I have to respect it and give it its due for being so well done. I think it ties with X as being the most 'well rounded' out of the games I've played so far. VI is close but the way some characters are written bother me too much to rank it as highly.

I still love VIII and X-2 more despite being completely bonkers though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jan 11, 2018
I'm currently re-playing FFIII, this time on Steam. It lacks the 2x battle speed option from the PSP version. So even though the resolution is obviously a lot higher (not that it matters much with such crude 3D graphics), the PSP version is the definitive one for sure. Got a physical copy of the latter not too long ago. A must in any FF collection.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The speed booster is a godsend. I tried to play KH2 last night and everything felt so slow after being able to zip through everything in VII.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've caught up with all the mobile titles, Opera Omnia, Record Keeper and Brave EXVIUS, with the latter being by far the best.

The one I'm having trouble with is Mobius. I have some pretty good cards and jobs, but I can't make any kind of progress in the final chapter. I might sit that one out and wait till power creep means I have an easier time with it with whatever is available at the time. It just seems to be a shame so close to the end of season one.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Cross posting from the PCVR thread because it's that awesome:
A teaser world for the big ff13 vrchat world i've been working on was approved for public today :O
It features a brief teaser of a boss fight against the behemoth king and shows you this trailer at the end for the full world:
Thanks ^_^ you don't even need vr to play vrchat so they can see the world without it, but i've focused specifally on the use of scale to impress vr users :D
For now, the teaser world is only public, but everything you see in trailer you can visit by just adding me in game, same name as here.

There's also an ERA discord for vrchat too which will make it easier to contact me too or just dm me on discord "Lakuza#3306".

When finished it will have 8 quests, currently 2 quests are complete, some are in but are missing the npcs tied to the quest and the puzzle based quests I am working on.

I also have the engine blades working from ff15 too. I actually have 2 versions of the trailer, the one in the teaser world shows how to unlock the engine blades for the demo :P

at 1:23 it shows how to unlock them :P

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just slammed out 100 leves in FFXIV using the Alchemist leve in Horizon. Was super fast. Like 10 seconds each. So now I'm at 580/1000. Guess I'll repeat this every few weeks for the next couple months and I should have the platinum.

I'm feeling really down about the Dissidia platinum though. That's gonna be a long long, arduous ordeal.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just slammed out 100 leves in FFXIV using the Alchemist leve in Horizon. Was super fast. Like 10 seconds each. So now I'm at 580/1000. Guess I'll repeat this every few weeks for the next couple months and I should have the platinum.

I'm feeling really down about the Dissidia platinum though. That's gonna be a long long, arduous ordeal.
That's the spirit! I got my FFXIV platinum and I've started on Dissidia, that'll take a month to finish I reckon.

But I've still not got 100% for XV. The trophies for the episodes are super hard, so if anyone has any advice that would be welcome. At the moment I don't see how I can get them :(

First though I'm gonna finish Mobius and FFXV Pocket edition

Oct 25, 2017
That's the spirit! I got my FFXIV platinum and I've started on Dissidia, that'll take a month to finish I reckon.

But I've still not got 100% for XV. The trophies for the episodes are super hard, so if anyone has any advice that would be welcome. At the moment I don't see how I can get them :(

First though I'm gonna finish Mobius and FFXV Pocket edition

The hardest trophies for XV are the race trophies for Prompto and the score attack trophy for Gladio.

Prompto's is very difficult due to the bad controls. Try to avoid ramps because even small bumps tend to force a 180 turn. It's only the one race that's super hard. Once you figure out an optimal path it's not too bad. Might want to check a youtube video and copy the paths there to save time.

Gladio is all about combo bonuses from counter attacks. Do nothing but counter. I mean literally. Only use counter attacks except against bosses or if there's like 1 enemy left. Don't worry about your time too much. The time bonus is tiny compared to that counter bonus. It may still take a few tries, but you should be able to tell immediately that it's doable using this strategy.

The hardest Ignis trophy is the fight with Noctis. Just go ballistic on him. If you try to play it safe he will kill you. Just stay on him and attack non stop and counter everything. This is super important as countering undoes most of the damage his attacks do. You should be able to finish him with plenty of items left and with the highest grade easily this way though.

The rarest trophy in the game for some reason is Master of the Elements in episode Ignis. It's super easy though. Just spam total clarity on every enemy you see and try not to kill too many without it. There are way more than 100 enemies if you start a new Ignis playthrough.

For Comrades, it's all just time consuming. The only really difficult fights are the level 99 Bahamut fight and the Angelus solo fight, but those aren't required for trophies. There's a few other fights that are hard solo but easy with a team. For Bahamut you definitely want The Warrior's Sigil for untouchable. It makes the fight MUCH easier as his attacks are extremely difficult to dodge otherwise. For Angelus, the hard part is killing him within the time limit. I used the Fierce Sigil and spammed martial arts attacks, while refilling my MP with the warp point. It's still a very difficult fight as he can easily kill you in 2 hits even with high vitality.

I still haven't touched the mobile games much. I bought Dimensions a little while ago and will probably play it soon. I just can't get into Gacha games though. Just the tutorial in RK drained me. I really liked what I played of BE story wise though. Just the first mission a long while ago.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want to resub to FFXIV, but I feel I should really knock off another big RPG from my backlog so I don't get distracted (Xenoblade 2, on chapter 7).

Has FFXIV's current updates made grinding much faster, be it levels for battle/crafting jobs, money, etc?

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to resub to FFXIV, but I feel I should really knock off another big RPG from my backlog so I don't get distracted (Xenoblade 2, on chapter 7).

Has FFXIV's current updates made grinding much faster, be it levels for battle/crafting jobs, money, etc?

The main scenario quests give a lot more EXP now, so getting your first job to cap is really easy. It's still a pain in the ass to level up new jobs though. You can do it decently quickly using Palace of the Dead, but any failed runs give you no EXP at all. Crafting jobs are really easy to level past 50 using beast tribes, but still take forever to get to 50 unless you want to spend a lot on leve items.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The main scenario quests give a lot more EXP now, so getting your first job to cap is really easy. It's still a pain in the ass to level up new jobs though. You can do it decently quickly using Palace of the Dead, but any failed runs give you no EXP at all. Crafting jobs are really easy to level past 50 using beast tribes, but still take forever to get to 50 unless you want to spend a lot on leve items.

That's pretty much what I was already doing during my last subscription. I didn't finish the Stormblood MSQ so that would be my first priority as well as the Ivalice dungeons.

I had maxed out WAR during the first MSQ, then DRK during Heavensward, and SAM for Stormblood. All fun jobs but I kind of miss having enemies face me directly instead of me slashing at their butts.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I actually finished Mobius tonight (the finale was released a few days ago).

Man that game is HORRIBLE.

Story makes literally no sense, as in no effort is made at all to make anything resembling a cohesive plot, and what plot there is is stretched paper thin over hours of gameplay.

And let's talk about gameplay. Confusing battle system, hideously grindy character development that is overly complicated and not explained, super linear. Nope I'm not talking about FFXIII although it would be fair to describe this game has everything wrong with FFXIII turned up to 11.

Including the gaudy character designs, which are sub Lightning Returns tier. Actually they're sub sub sub Lightning's Returns tier.

And guess who the director is. Toriyama.

Never mind All the Bravest. Mobius FF is the worst FF game ever made. Not a single redeeming quality. Do not play.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I feel like the Mobius gameplay could be fun if it were divorced from the gatcha and grindy aspects of the game.

The story is such a mess tho.

Oct 25, 2017
They sort of did that with Dimensions 2, so I'm kinda hoping all of the mobile games do that after their service ends. I'd happily wait to play BE until then if I knew it would happen.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I wish that other mobile FF games also did what Dimensions II did. I always wanted to play Samurai Rising and see what it was about but it's gone now.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sort of did that with Dimensions 2, so I'm kinda hoping all of the mobile games do that after their service ends. I'd happily wait to play BE until then if I knew it would happen.
Yeah Dimensions II worked well. I would say I actually really like BEs Gacha. Building up your collection of units is fun (although you can never have them all) and the game is super generous with free draws so you never have to spend money. With that in mind, drawing new units is exciting.

Edit: so on June 7 last year, Dissidia NT was announced, and on June 6 the year before it was The Zodiac Age. In 2014 on June 10 we had Type 0 HD announced.

So do you think we'll get a mid tier pre e3 FF announcement? Those are the ones that excite me because they're totally unpredictable.

That said I'm gonna give it a go. FF13 HD.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Dimensions II worked well. I would say I actually really like BEs Gacha. Building up your collection of units is fun (although you can never have them all) and the game is super generous with free draws so you never have to spend money. With that in mind, drawing new units is exciting.

Edit: so on June 7 last year, Dissidia NT was announced, and on June 6 the year before it was The Zodiac Age. In 2014 on June 10 we had Type 0 HD announced.

So do you think we'll get a mid tier pre e3 FF announcement? Those are the ones that excite me because they're totally unpredictable.

That said I'm gonna give it a go. FF13 HD.

Well, SE also didn't have a conference these last 2 years, so unless there's a leak, I think they'll save it for the actual show.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't trust him with anything these days. Then again, I have zero faith in the remake's production in general.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went back to Round 1 last week and earlier tonight to play more Theatrhythm ASC. Got a few character unlocks, like Prompto and X-2 Yuna. Also unlocked someone from Type-0 (his mouth is covered) and I'm guessing the main character from Record Keeper. This time I was able to get an idea of how to unlock characters in this game. Just collect one of each crystal shard from the light and dark side (each side has four different colored shards). Was really curious to see that the bad guy from the new Dissidia needed four separate light crystal shards to unlock him and not four separate dark crystal shards. Only enemy character I've unlocked was Edea from FF8. Her eyes are really weird looking in chibi form.

Unlocked a bunch of songs, but I got like over 70 left to unlock and currently the ones I can select to unlock require 5 or 10 silver medals. Still haven't figured out the easiest way to get a silver medal so this will take a looooooooooooong time.

And I just gotta rant about something. What the fuck did they do to Dancing Mad? I was expecting the same version that was used in previous versions (final phase in its entirety). Instead, the song pretty much ends in the middle of the final phase (when it starts to slow while leading up to Kefka's signature laugh). How could you fuck this up so badly? The final phase isn't even that long. Just a complete disappointing thing to encounter.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played ASC, but the original Theatrhythm pissed me off with that shit in several songs too where it would just do a sudden fade and stop instead of actually ending.

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Mobius is done? I might give it another shot then.

Has anyone played the PC version? I'd rather play it on Steam, I think.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act 1 is done, JP is currently playing act/season 2. Those gacha games will never end as long as they keep making money.
Luckily I heard performance for Mobius had slipped, so hopefully that one WILL end. They should really double down on a couple of good ones. Like Brave EXVIUS and XI and that's it.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't played any of the mobile games but after hearing about how grindy the Dissidia one is, I don't think I'll ever try them. I had enough of mobile games after Pocket Camp and Sailor Moon Drops.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Record Keeper, right...? :D?
I like Record Keeper a lot, but we're at the final boss for all the mainline titles now, so I think it should naturally come to a close. Whereas XI and Brave EXVIUS could go for several years more I think.
I actually haven't played any of the mobile games but after hearing about how grindy the Dissidia one is, I don't think I'll ever try them. I had enough of mobile games after Pocket Camp and Sailor Moon Drops.
Dissidia isn't grindy at all is it? I just think the story is boring and there's not enough to do, not enough variety. Brave exvius and Record Keeper get it right by having lots of types of content constantly being dropped.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I think Record Keeper will eventually need to end but with the new update that let's you re-experience moments in pixel form they have quite a bit of content to go off from there. I'm already excited for the VIII content.
I like Record Keeper a lot, but we're at the final boss for all the mainline titles now, so I think it should naturally come to a close. Whereas XI and Brave EXVIUS could go for several years more I think.

Dissidia isn't grindy at all is it? I just think the story is boring and there's not enough to do, not enough variety. Brave exvius and Record Keeper get it right by having lots of types of content constantly being dropped.
Opera Omnia is a grind if you want to have all rewards and achievements from events but otherwise the game is nice in that you can clear as much as you want without a stamina system limiting you. I got tired of the grind aspects of Co-Op so I generally just finish character events and move on to other parts of the game. If you're taking your time with story you will have plenty of content that doesn't force you to complete it immediately. Also character events come back so even if you missed out you get the opportunity to do them again.

Xetherion

Oct 30, 2017

Record Keeper just had a massive update today which includes a new mode, Record Dungeons. This mode actually has you exploring the full dungeons of the games, redone in pixel art form. Tyro also starts at level 1 for this mode and gains exp unique to this mode (and is eventually joined by Elarra, another character unique to Record Keeper). The rest of your party will be Guest characters from the game and dungeon you're currently doing, with levels, gear, and abilities fitting for the difficulty of the dungeon. Record Keeper isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

As Wazzy said, Opera Omnia is very grindy if you want all rewards. That combined with the lack of variety you mentioned lead me to drop that game.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame about Operia Omnia, it probably has the best interactions between characters out of all the corssover games.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame about Operia Omnia, it probably has the best interactions between characters out of all the corssover games.
Yeah I really enjoy the interactions especially ones that confirm theories within their respective games. One that I think was quite obvious but never stated in the original is Seifer's dream and fighting style being inspired by Laguna's movie. It was a nice nod to what many speculated.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I should have clarified that when I heard it was grindy it was from people that wanted to get specific weapons for their favorite characters. It still doesn't sound like something I would invest time in when I can just watch the events I care about online. At least that's what I did for the Aerith event lol.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I really enjoy the interactions especially ones that confirm theories within their respective games. One that I think was quite obvious but never stated in the original is Seifer's dream and fighting style being inspired by Laguna's movie. It was a nice nod to what many speculated.
Another favorite of mine being that XII's and Tactics' Ivalice are not the same country/region...