• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Luckily I heard performance for Mobius had slipped, so hopefully that one WILL end. They should really double down on a couple of good ones. Like Brave EXVIUS and XI and that's it.
I rather like Mobius vs OO. Too grindy. Mobius is also grindy and not as generous as it should be (compared to FFRK which just gave out 100 mythri amongst other rewards from this new update) but S1 is ending soon and they're pushing out content fast (too fast in my tastes but eh).

I'm mostly playing BE exclusively, atm

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love Dissidia Opera Omnia for creating classic characters in 3D that'll never make mainline Dissidia. Also its really fun, maybe I'll get fed up of it eventually but I'm content for now.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Yeah Opera Omnia can definitely be grindy but the character interactions and references are surprisingly entertaining. It's also nice that less popular characters get a chance to shine, like Vanille and Eiko. I do wish Noctis at least had been in the base roster though, since he's the newest lead. It's a super long wait yet for his event. :(

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I like Record Keeper a lot, but we're at the final boss for all the mainline titles now, so I think it should naturally come to a close. Whereas XI and Brave EXVIUS could go for several years more I think.

Last I checked RK it hasn't even reached XI's final boss of its pre-expansion era, let alone current final boss or even half the expansion content.
Then again, XI gets fewer characters in RK then even spin offs like Tactics...
Basically, the record keeping is flawed when it comes to XI, as usual.
To its credit, at least one of the characters is Zeid, who's more of a protagonist than Shantotto ever will be.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last I checked RK it hasn't even reached XI's final boss of its pre-expansion era, let alone current final boss or even half the expansion content.
Then again, XI gets fewer characters in RK then even spin offs like Tactics...
Basically, the record keeping is flawed when it comes to XI, as usual.
To its credit, at least one of the characters is Zeid, who's more of a protagonist than Shantotto ever will be.
I can't quite remember but I think XI is up to the Shadow Lord now. XIV has certainly reached the final boss. They started introducing spin offs and sequels though so there is content. But it all feels like a stretch!

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't quite remember but I think XI is up to the Shadow Lord now. XIV has certainly reached the final boss. They started introducing spin offs and sequels though so there is content. But it all feels like a stretch!
Yeah, each realm should've ended a long time ago, but you could tell they're trying to milk it for all it's worth once they added things like The After Years...

The new mode is awesome though, seeing a FF6-esque remake of 7 in action makes me wish it were a full game. Also, 13's first dungeon is litetally a straight hallway. Got a chuckle out of me. :D

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Distant Worlds is tonight and I'm super excited. I've gone once to it a long time ago and the moment I saw the date listed for where I live I grabbed tickets immediately. I'm going to do a budget FemSquall cosplay since I don't want to go in the full outfit and sit there boiling hot lol

When VIII music plays I will die. When A New World played here my group was so loud about VIII's music it ended up getting the encore.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
Man I decided I wanted to get the platinum trophy in FF X as my 20th PSN trophy and this is far and away the worst platinum trophy I've ever tried to get. Absolutely mind numbing. And I don't mean difficult, because the hard parts were at least fun. I mean moving slowly around the sphere grid turning every empty node into a stat node, then moving every character to every position and unlocking every damn node. Getting the FF XIII platinum was a dream compared to this...

I've fought One-Eye, Kotos, Earth Eater and Don Tonberry so many times now my eyes are bleeding. I'll be super happy to have a fully maxed party (except for luck, absolutely fuck that) but man the process is draining. I am really looking forward to playing X-2 after this though, just follow a 100% guide (I've played the game before) and relax and enjoy one of my favorite combat systems ever. And fill up my entire PS4 with save files cause damn getting 100% in that game is punishing.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Final Fantasy X was hell to Platinum. There are so many things the game requires you to do that are just brain destroying at testing your patience.

v1perz53

Oct 25, 2017
FFX-2 has a fairly hard platinum trophy (the hardest of any FF game by far at any rate, next to FFIX depending on whether you cheat with a turbo controller or not).

Like you said, the one for FFX is more grindy and testing your patience rather than your skill.

Yea I don't mind HARD as much so I'm looking forward to X-2. In fact, accomplishing hard tasks feels good for sure. But this "fill out the sphere grid" trophy in X that amounts to "press X, go to move, move 3 spaces, press X, use 3-5 spheres, repeat this 250 times for all 7 characters" trophy is destroying my sanity hah. Absolutely trivial but absolutely tedious. What I wouldn't give for an "activate every sphere as I pass it" option.

Wanted a nostalgic experience as well so I went with the standard sphere grid at start. Oh boy it has MORE spaces total! Huge mistake...

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I don't mind HARD as much so I'm looking forward to X-2. In fact, accomplishing hard tasks feels good for sure. But this "fill out the sphere grid" trophy in X that amounts to "press X, go to move, move 3 spaces, press X, use 3-5 spheres, repeat this 250 times for all 7 characters" trophy is destroying my sanity hah. Absolutely trivial but absolutely tedious. What I wouldn't give for an "activate every sphere as I pass it" option.

Wanted a nostalgic experience as well so I went with the standard sphere grid at start. Oh boy it has MORE spaces total! Huge mistake...

X-2's platinum isn't even that bad. There's no mind numbing grinding like in X. I maxed out all of my dress spheres and completed the monster arena 100%, but neither of those are trophies. You barely even need to touch the arena for the platinum. 100% completion will entail getting most of the other trophies anyway.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It might just be because FF is my favorite franchise, but i'm pretty sure that there are more Final Fantasy threads on the main board than any other franchise...by alot. As we speak there's a 16 page thread about a picture with a small and blurry offscreen shot of FF7 on it, there's also threads about Type-0, FF7 fan art, FFXV, and FFV all on the front page, and some days there's more than that.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's funny because just a few years back we had all those dour 'will Final Fantasy ever be relevant again?' threads. And now here we are. It's been great.

Oct 25, 2017
If it does I hope it's a wholly different game or at least heavily retooled. Don't really want that grind again. I have over 60 hours in Comrades.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Distant Worlds was great. They were more even with their selection this year though VII and VIII still thankfully got the most tracks played. For VIII it was Liberi Fatali to open the show(I was so happy it got a lot of cheers), The Oath and Man With The Machine Gun. For VII, Bombing Mission, Cosmo Canyon, Jenova Complete and One Winged Angel. All were new orchestras for me except OWA which I'm tired of but it's almost always the encore. I enjoyed the Chocobo mix they did which was made for the 25th anniversary.
A bunch of SE threads on the first page again. I hope they really bring it at e3 this year.
I really hope we get some good stuff. I'm already preparing in case they announce VIII PS4 and Rinoa for Dissidia.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Distant Worlds was great. They were more even with their selection this year though VII and VIII still thankfully got the most tracks played. For VIII it was Liberi Fatali to open the show(I was so happy it got a lot of cheers), The Oath and Man With The Machine Gun. For VII, Bombing Mission, Cosmo Canyon, Jenova Complete and One Winged Angel. All were new orchestras for me except OWA which I'm tired of but it's almost always the encore. I enjoyed the Chocobo mix they did which was made for the 25th anniversary.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Distant Worlds is great, I'm dying to go again. Also glad they played a few VIII tracks. We didn't get MWTMG at the one in London last year but The Oath and Liberi Fatali were amazing.

I really hope we get some good stuff. I'm already preparing in case they announce VIII PS4 and Rinoa for Dissidia.

I don't think I'd be able to contain my hype if VIII is announced for PS4 at E3 lol

Last edited:

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VIII on the PS4 would be hype af. I probably wouldn't be able to play it much because of summer classes (rip) but I would buy it day one. Speaking of Dissidia, do we know when the next character is supposed to be announced?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Distant Worlds is great, I'm dying to go again. Also glad they played a few VIII tracks. We didn't get MWTMG at the one in London last year but The Oath and Liberi Fatali were amazing.

I don't think I'd be able to contain my hype if VIII is announced for PS4 at E3 lol
Yeah I've been once before a long time ago and the tracks played were Don't Be Afraid, Liberi Fatali, MWTMG and Eyes On Me all of which were amazing. The Oath was the new track for me from VIII while VII almost all of it was new.

I will be so happy if they announce VIII for PS4. IX got it's time at last E3 and SE knows people have been asking for VIII.

LET IT BE OUR TURN SQUARE. Also give us queen Rinoa.

VIII on the PS4 would be hype af. I probably wouldn't be able to play it much because of summer classes (rip) but I would buy it day one. Speaking of Dissidia, do we know when the next character is supposed to be announced?
I'm really hoping it happens especially because the achievements will make replaying even more fun and we would hopefully get new art like IX did. I don't remember if IX had any rumors beforehand or if it was a surprise announcement but I'm full on preparing for VIII PS4.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping it happens especially because the achievements will make replaying even more fun and we would hopefully get new art like IX did. I don't remember if IX had any rumors beforehand or if it was a surprise announcement but I'm full on preparing for VIII PS4.
Complete surprise, but also PSX.

I'm kind of half expecting an FF announcement this week from SE. They have a history of it, but then they do have their video conference this year.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've been once before a long time ago and the tracks played were Don't Be Afraid, Liberi Fatali, MWTMG and Eyes On Me all of which were amazing. The Oath was the new track for me from VIII while VII almost all of it was new.

Man I really wish we got Don't Be Afraid and Eyes On Me instead of the seven hundred FF7 songs we had lol

I will be so happy if they announce VIII for PS4. IX got it's time at last E3 and SE knows people have been asking for VIII.

LET IT BE OUR TURN SQUARE. Also give us queen Rinoa.

I think IX was announced at TGS last year but yeah it's definitely VIII's turn for once. VIII on PS4 is literally the only thing I want announced at E3.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Complete surprise, but also PSX.

I'm kind of half expecting an FF announcement this week from SE. They have a history of it, but then they do have their video conference this year.
Ah I mixed up the event it was at.

There is so many big games they will focus on like VII Remake and KH3 plus whatever else they have planned. I don't remember if VII is confirmed but I have no doubt it's going to be featured.

Man I really wish we got Don't Be Afraid and Eyes On Me instead of the seven hundred FF7 songs we had lol

I think IX was announced at TGS last year but yeah it's definitely VIII's turn for once. VIII on PS4 is literally the only thing I want announced at E3.
For some reason I thought it was E3 but I mix up the events all the time lol

Honestly I think due to the 30th Anniversary they're sticking with particular set lists and Eyes On Me is only featured when they have a singer while Don't Be Afraid is random. I notice that whenever XIV does Dragonsong/Revolutions/Answers that Eyes On Me is almost always played. I adore Susan Calloways version and actually almost prefer it for the Ending Theme while Faye Wong I think sounds great for the Ragnarok version.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought it was E3 but I mix up the events all the time lol

It's fine, don't worry about it. Happens to me all the time as well lol

Honestly I think due to the 30th Anniversary they're sticking with particular set lists and Eyes On Me is only featured when they have a singer while Don't Be Afraid is random. I notice that whenever XIV does Dragonsong/Revolutions/Answers that Eyes On Me is almost always played. I adore Susan Calloways version and actually almost prefer it for the Ending Theme while Faye Wong I think sounds great for the Ragnarok version.

Yeah I remember now that Eyes On Me only happens if Susan Calloway is usually there. I hope I'm lucky enough to attend a Distant Worlds when she's there.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a side-note: I'm not touching that XV thread with a ten foot pole. I feel as if it's almost beating a dead horse at this point and the same people on both sides tend to just argue with each other endlessly.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because I did write in it but the forum froze and my post never made it through. I think it was a sign to avoid the thread lol

My thoughts on XV are basically it's an okay game plagued with a lot of story problems in it's original release. I haven't played it with the updates and don't plan to but overall I had a good time with the game even if aspects of it disappointed me.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I stopped posting in XV threads a while ago. I'd like to talk about it, but discussion always seems to escalate to this back and forth with certain posters who are only trying to convince each other of something. That's not an exchange of ideas or discussion. It's just yelling, and I have no problems ignoring it.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped talking about XV after I finished the game for the first time and wanted to talk about the ending only to get into arguments about stuff I didn't even really care about.

Jan 11, 2018
I think the fact that most people have a favourable opinion on FFXV even if it's far from their favourite FF really grinds the gears of the people who dislike it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I was recommended this video about the "Final Fantasy House".

Warning, not safe for the soul:

It's amazing I never heard of this insanity until now. Just when I think I've found the craziest FF-related story, something comes along and deteriorates my sanity even further.

OP
OP
Eleriu

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So, I was recommended this video about the "Final Fantasy House".

Warning, not safe for the soul:

It's amazing I never heard of this insanity until now. Just when I think I've found the craziest FF-related story, something comes along and deteriorates my sanity even further.

Oh man. I saw an article link to this story a few days ago on Twitter. Pure insanity.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, first time entering this community thread and first thing I see is that Ray Chase tweet. Might stick around.

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think the fact that most people have a favourable opinion on FFXV even if it's far from their favourite FF really grinds the gears of the people who dislike it.
Which is funny because most people who like FFXV will easily admit that the game is flawed and far from perfect. Just because a game isn't perfect does not mean a person cannot enjoy it. It's like a culture these days, it's popular to hate on certain things.

Jan 11, 2018
Which is funny because most people who like FFXV will easily admit that the game is flawed and far from perfect. Just because a game isn't perfect does not mean a person cannot enjoy it. It's like a culture these days, it's popular to hate on certain things.

I think FFXV is in the same boat as FFVIII. There's a small group of fans who absolutely adore it, and another small group that absolutely detest it and love to talk smack about it - and then there's the vast majority of fans who enjoyed it even if it doesn't necessarily make their top 5.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think FFXV is in the same boat as FFVIII. There's a small group of fans who absolutely adore it, and another small group that absolutely detest it and love to talk smack about it - and then there's the vast majority of fans who enjoyed it even if it doesn't necessarily make their top 5.
I would rate XV pretty much in line with VIII too so I'd agree with this.

Jan 11, 2018
Personally I really like both, but they're not in my top 5. I see no reason to worry about FFXVI, since most of the flaws in FFXV were a result of poor management rather than lack of talent.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even realize they have the VII, VIII and IX Ultimania Archive Vol 2 up for preorder. I'm definitely grabbing this as I've wanted the Ultimania for VII and VIII for years.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I've been thinking of picking up this VII history book for a while now. I'd love to hear thoughts on it if anyone's read it.

nuSxT1E.jpg

They've also recently published a book on VI and I thought at one point were writing one for VIII but it seems to no longer be up on their website.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix mentioned that they're having trouble finding HD developers, which is a really bad sign if you were hoping they'd be able to pump out mainline games faster than they have been. Tabata's team working on a new IP led me to believe that they had a secret XVI team working on the game, but considering they're having so much trouble recruiting i'm skeptical of this.

I'm afraid they're going to view FFVII remake (and its sequels) as a mainline game, and we wont be able to get XVI until deep into the next generation, i hope i'm wrong.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix mentioned that they're having trouble finding HD developers, which is a really bad sign if you were hoping they'd be able to pump out mainline games faster than they have been. Tabata's team working on a new IP led me to believe that they had a secret XVI team working on the game, but considering they're having so much trouble recruiting i'm skeptical of this.

I'm afraid they're going to view FFVII remake (and its sequels) as a mainline game, and we wont be able to get XVI until deep into the next generation, i hope i'm wrong.
They already said that they view VII as a mainline game and I'm sure it will mean we won't see XVI till next gen. Probably better that FF gets a Zelda style release schedule anyway.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I've been thinking of picking up this VII history book for a while now. I'd love to hear thoughts on it if anyone's read it.

nuSxT1E.jpg

They've also recently published a book on VI and I thought at one point were writing one for VIII but it seems to no longer be up on their website.
I own it. I was one of the backers for the kickstarter campaign to get it translated along with other books (their most recent campaign has an FF8 book in it too).

A few grammatical errors aside (translation is difficult), it's a fantastic read. A really good in depth look at not only the development of FF7 and the rest of the compilation, but also a comprehensive look at the timeline for the world and story, which left even myself, someone who has played FF7 so much that I feel comfortable saying there's nothing in the game I dont at least have a partial understanding of, learning a few more things about the lore. For example, the reason why you find the Peacekeeper weapon in an attic in Kalm is because that was originally Vincent's hometown before shit got bad for him.

A lot of what it states in the book is well sourced, either from interviews with the staff or from the game(s) themselves. It is written in a way that you can tell is from a fan's perspective but isnt afraid to call out the failures of the compilation. The criticisms are fair and well thought out, as is the praise thrown at the series.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I own it. I was one of the backers for the kickstarter campaign to get it translated along with other books (their most recent campaign has an FF8 book in it too).

A few grammatical errors aside (translation is difficult), it's a fantastic read. A really good in depth look at not only the development of FF7 and the rest of the compilation, but also a comprehensive look at the timeline for the world and story, which left even myself, someone who has played FF7 so much that I feel comfortable saying there's nothing in the game I dont at least have a partial understanding of, learning a few more things about the lore. For example, the reason why you find the Peacekeeper weapon in an attic in Kalm is because that was originally Vincent's hometown before shit got bad for him.

A lot of what it states in the book is well sourced, either from interviews with the staff or from the game(s) themselves. It is written in a way that you can tell is from a fan's perspective but isnt afraid to call out the failures of the compilation. The criticisms are fair and well thought out, as is the praise thrown at the series.
Thank you! That's just the sort of feedback I was hoping for. I haven't been able to find any reviews on the English version so this is very much appreciated. Getting past a few translation errors shouldn't be too difficult (somewhat fitting for a book on VII!). I went ahead and placed an order; looking forward to it!