• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Via PCGamesN
final-fantasy-14-big-boss-580x334.jpg

After its rebirth in 2013, Final Fantasy XIV has followed an upward trajectory, adding massive amounts of new content over the years since A Realm Reborn debuted. Square Enix plans to continue on that path, with no plans currently in place to create another Final Fantasy-branded MMO, or a separate sequel to FFXIV.
That's according to Final Fantasy XIV producer and director Naoki Yoshida and head writer Banri Oda, who spoke with the German-language Spieletipps during Gamescom this week. Both developers were apparently clear: they plan to continue creating updates for Final Fantasy XIV, and Square Enix, according to the machine translation of the article, "adheres to the concept of the game."

It's rarely wise to rely solely on automated translations, but that part of the story seems pretty clear: "Currently there is no prospect of a new online offshoot."
Full article at the link. Not terribly surprising, but it seems to be confirmed. I figure this might be interesting to FF fans outside of the current FFXIV Era group. Looks like we won't be seeing another MMO for some years.

Edit:
I made a thread on this last week. It's still good news for me as it will mean more expansions for FF XIV.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I always wonder who are the people asking these kinds of questions, this seems really obvious?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Thats kind of a DUH.

MMOs overall have not changed since FFXIV has been out and been developed. there has been no paradigm shift like EQ era to WoW era.

(FFXI is a quintessential EQ style of MMO)

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
That's okay
Story-wise, there's still a lot left to see. And after ShB, the world became bigger and much more interesting, so I hope we get some FFXIV for a while

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate. I'd like 16 to be an mmo. I'd be there day one if it's anywhere near as good as 14 is.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Not even a remake of xi for 20th Anni?
Bummer

FFXI was made on the PS2 dev kits, remaking it for modern design is basically making a new MMO using old school design. IT would be absurdly expensive especially with how much content that would need to get ported. Also all the core devleopers on that game have moved on, so i can just imagine the headache of looking under the hood at the complex game mechanics.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
There is still possibly another couple of expansions in FFXIV based on how the story finished in Shadowbringers.

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
There is still possibly another couple of expansions in FFXIV based on how the story finished in Shadowbringers.
We already know they are working on 6.0 and have vaguely alluded to some pre-outline work for 7.0. That is 2 expansions which would be released around the summers of 2021 and 2023. At which point the game would be 13 years old from its original 1.0 release, 10 years since ARR. I'm pretty sure XI received it's last expansion like 15 years after it first launched.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
That's great news. Every update makes FFXIV feel like it's hitting more of a stride.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt that there are concepts being thrown around internally, but they have something good going, so it would be rather silly to announce the successor so soon.

People were convinced that SE would just kill XI when XIV came out, although given how that game was run, that was pretty understandable.

Not even a remake of xi for 20th Anni?
Bummer

Ask Nexon, lol.

Remaking XI would be an absolutely huge undertaking, and there wouldn't be a lot of gain in comparison to just making something new.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is completely ok with me, although this is my first MMO so I'm wondering how many expansion packs there are going to be and what the final max level will eventually be.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there will ever be a new traditional MMO. If a new FF MMO appears it will be Destiny like. I even expect FF16 to be centered around live services

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
My friend swears up and down they'll do another soon and that bums me out.

I'd rather they put that money/effort into getting XIV off the engine it's on and just upgrading the infrastructure/graphics it has.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
FFXI was made on the PS2 dev kits, remaking it for modern design is basically making a new MMO using old school design. IT would be absurdly expensive especially with how much content that would need to get ported. Also all the core devleopers on that game have moved on, so i can just imagine the headache of looking under the hood at the complex game mechanics.
Tbh i would like a port more honestly i hope the mobile port comes to switch as well as mobile imo

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
My friend swears up and down they'll do another soon and that bums me out.

I'd rather they put that money/effort into getting XIV off the engine it's on and just upgrading the infrastructure/graphics it has.
No way, no how. XIV makes too much money and I doubt that Square-Enix trusts anyone but the current XIV production team to make a competent MMO after the disaster that was 1.0. XIV's main story through-line isn't finished yet, by far, either.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shadowbringers was downright incredible, they have such a great foundation to keep working off of. There's so much optimism for this game, it's one of better comeback/success stories in gaming I can remember

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

That's a huuuuge undertaking, especially when still pumping out all the content they do. Not to mention they have to be careful about upgrading the graphics because of it still being on the PS4 and it has to run on low end PC's too.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
They have a couple of story expansions in them left.

I would be in for a future MMO, I'm sure Square Enix would want an MMO in their roster to get the continued revenue. 14 is great but there's still scars of 1.0 in there and they really need to clean the plate. But yeah, I'll take 4-6 more years of 14 and maybe I'll be down for another Square Enix MMO.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone at Square also said that for their next Final Fantasy GaaS, they are thinking of doing something like Destiny. Presumably, that game wouldn't compete with XIV.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I thought the whole point of 2.0 was to undo all of that. Is it still running that code underneath? Makes sense as to how the characters transferred over.
Not quite, but a lot of the limitations from being on the PS3 have carried over, notably world zones and instances.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want another MMO unless there is a huge leap in online game capabilities. Something like an MMO world and player count but plays more like a 3rd person action rpg. Maybe streaming games will allow that, but until then FFXIV is enough.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Bummer. I want a new style of MMO. WoW clones got old years ago for me.

Would love to see bigger scope with the world design too but meh, I don't see them making that for a long, long time :(

Oct 30, 2017
I said that before... the game is doing fine and looks fine and plays fine and modernize, there will be at very less two more expansions in 2021 and 2023.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's a shame because I absolutely hate the Combat system, and that's one of the least likely things to get overhauled, but it's probably the better choice for them. The game still looks good enough to last through the end of the generation and get another expansion or two. Clearly they have a working formula now

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fine with it, just please try to rework ARR content cause I just can't recommend this game to friends when I know they have to suffer through the level 25-40 MSQ and the 2.1-2.5 MSQ.

I already lost 3 friends to ARR's slogfest.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy I see many more fetch quests in FF14's future then :p

I wish MMOs would try to innovate more but can't fix what's making you money.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best FF going to better, can't say no to that.
Oh boy I see many more fetch quests in FF14's future then :p

I wish MMOs would try to innovate more but can't fix what's making you money.
They lessen mundane MSQ and sidequest in general the farther I get into the game (they usually are wrap up in great storylines and interesting gameplay dungeons) , unless ShB suddenly went back to huge filler like 2.0 , I don't get what you're saying.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Great MMO, I haven't gotten to Shadowbringers yet but midway through Stormblood. The MSQ can really drag but gameplay is a blast.

ReDelicious

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they do make another MMO sometime in the near future. Would like to see them break the mold a bit more similar to XI and XIV 1.0 (though obviously without the messy development with the latter). I've been ready to move on from XIV for quite a while now.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best FF going to better, can't say no to that.

They lessen mundane MSQ and sidequest in general the farther I get into the game (they usually are wrap up in great storylines and interesting gameplay dungeons) , unless ShB suddenly went back to huge filler like 2.0 , I don't get what you're saying.

I've played up to Shadowbringers. There's absolutely fetch quests even in main quest still.

For example those fairies were pretty much Heavensward moogles 2.0.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played up to Shadowbringers. There's absolutely fetch quests even in main quest still.
Yeah but it's small breathers now instead of huge swathes like in 2.0, and it's the story between them can be interesting at times. Unfortunately they need your sub money so they gonna pad it out

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The game is in its prime right now. All the hype around the launch of Shadowbringers dwarfed what I remember of ARR's launch in 2013.