• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

idalarian

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Can someone compare with some of the original high quality that still exists on the Internet? It would be interesting to see how the "HD" asset compares with the original high quality assets, that unfortunately most of them have been lost.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I downloaded the mod, but how do I install it?
Go to your 'FINAL FANTASY IX' folder - you can find it by going to Steam > Final Fantasy IX > Right click > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files.

Make a backup of the x64 and StreamingAssets folders, in case you want to revert the changes easily instead of downloading them.

Drag the contents of the Moguri mod (which should be called Streaming Assets and x64) into the FINAL FANTASY IX folder. You should get a prompt asking if you want to replace files. Say yes to all.

And that's it. You're just replacing the files. If you want to go back, use the backups and reverse the process.

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go to your 'FINAL FANTASY IX' folder - you can find it by going to Steam > Final Fantasy IX > Right click > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files.

Make a backup of the x64 and StreamingAssets folders, in case you want to revert the changes easily instead of downloading them.

Drag the contents of the Moguri mod (which should be called Streaming Assets and x64) into the FINAL FANTASY IX folder. You should get a prompt asking if you want to replace files. Say yes to all.

And that's it. You're just replacing the files. If you want to go back, use the backups and reverse the process.

Thank you. Turns out the file was compressed and I didn't have anything software to unzip it installed.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
hopefully FFVIII will be next...
I prefer modern looks vs fantasy
Someone is currently in the process of doing VIII on the Qhimm forums:

NubMzXb.png

gLwC07C.png

The soundtrack and character models and script updates are all separate mods but here is a glimpse:

idalarian

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Does anyone know how it look if the background is actually in motion (or with some objects in motion in the background)? There are some when you can move the chracters during a FMV cutscene, or maybe in FF IX there are some background with airships moving in the sky IIRC

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how it look if the background is actually in motion (or with some objects in motion in the background)? There are some when you can move the chracters during a FMV cutscene, or maybe in FF IX there are some background with airships moving in the sky IIRC

If I'm not mistaken, the alternate frames for moving background objects are part of the same tileset as the rest of the background, so the same process should improve it all.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone is currently in the process of doing VIII on the Qhimm forums:

NubMzXb.png

gLwC07C.png

The soundtrack and character models and script updates are all separate mods but here is a glimpse:

My god it's beautiful.

Someone needs to do new character models though because the HD ones look like shit.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

Ze_PilOt

Jan 16, 2019
- Animated tiles are fine
- V05 fixed the desaturation issue, and also improve the overall quality (mostly on these green screens posted here :)

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Download link in the OP is for an earlier version from what I can gather. Get V05.7 from here:

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo thanks for letting us know! I was thinking to play this and never played before! I guess lot of fun times ahead. :3

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ze_PilOt is basically remastering the game now. His latest update now includes orchestral tracks for some select tracks. Appreciate the update happening

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if "bumping" this is of issue but the Switch release has me interested in playing this again, but is this mod considered "complete" in regards to the upscaling, or has that been moved into what Jadentheman mentioned with a larger remastering?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
The mod has come a long way, the latest version is 7.0.1 with optional stuff like battle field & music enhancement, original PSX font, even widescreen (still buggy) support.

They also just released the DLL for the Music loop bug fix a few hours ago (not sure why, considering SE is currently fixing it officially).
This is a great development. I was waiting for some improvements and will fire this puppy up. Haven't gone far in my playthrough so might start from the start.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So, is there any way to use the Moguri Mod and fix the Battle UI scaling problem? That is really the only issue stopping me from buying the PC version right now.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Original PSX font?!

This just became the definitive way to play FFIX. Fuck yes.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting crazy here. I want to install both this mod in addition with the SFX & Missing Death Sounds Fix mod but it's just not working. I installed only the HD Background from Moguri and then the sfx mod but then the sfx from the games vanishes which doesn't make sense as that's the exact opposite of what it should do.

According to the creator of the SFX mod
-From Moguri's Mod download; grab only the files p0data11.bin - p0data19.bin (these are the files containing the actual backgrounds ~ do not include any assets related to Memoria.
which I did twice with only these two files and all the files from 11.bin to 19.bin as it wasn't really clear what files I was supposed to grab, but now the whole background is messed up and I don't know what to do.

Is anyone else using these two mods?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm getting crazy here. I want to install both this mod in addition with the SFX & Missing Death Sounds Fix mod but it's just not working. I installed only the HD Background from Moguri and then the sfx mod but then the sfx from the games vanishes which doesn't make sense as that's the exact opposite of what it should do.

According to the creator of the SFX mod which I did twice with only these two files and all the files from 11.bin to 19.bin as it wasn't really clear what files I was supposed to grab, but now the whole background is messed up and I don't know what to do.

You'll probably get a better response by posting in the Steam discussion thread.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

According to the creator of the SFX mod which I did twice with only these two files and all the files from 11.bin to 19.bin as it wasn't really clear what files I was supposed to grab, but now the whole background is messed up and I don't know what to do.

You'll probably get a better response by posting in the Steam discussion thread.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just started playing through FFIX for the first time and I'm about 6 hours in. Game is still very beautiful, especially with the Moguri mod including the original font. I also went into the ini and sped the battles up to 25 fps from 15. Plays a lot better now, not so slow. I might have to do a LTTP once I'm finished.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Just started playing through FFIX for the first time and I'm about 6 hours in. Game is still very beautiful, especially with the Moguri mod including the original font. I also went into the ini and sped the battles up to 25 fps from 15. Plays a lot better now, not so slow. I might have to do a LTTP once I'm finished.

Could you please explain how you did this? Started playing this yesterday and I'm about 2 hours in, but the slow battles give me a bit of a headache.
I have Moguri Mod installed if that matters.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Could you please explain how you did this? Started playing this yesterday and I'm about 2 hours in, but the slow battles give me a bit of a headache.
I have Moguri Mod installed if that matters.
Open the memoria.ini in the game's folder and under [Graphics] there's a battlefps that is set to 15. I've now set mine to 30 and I'm pretty comfortable with it. Helps a ton.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
New version is released, with a titanic job by snouz redoing all the masks in the game ! He even fixed bugs that were in the PSX version :)

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/
Came here was just about to post this, crazy just one person doing such a service for FFIX for free so much time and effort clearly went into this throughout, what an embaressment from Square should do better. For those not just visiting the link:

Changelog from v7 (Feb 2019)
Backgrounds
  • Fixed : almost all visual glitches
  • Redrawing of all layer edges (all 11000+)
  • Cleaner / sharper graphics (all 6000+)
  • Better & cleaner lighting (all 1400+)
  • Countless manual image doctoring
  • Manually redrawn some parts (some partially based on portfolio images by Wesley Cann & Behrooz Roozbeh)
  • Background animations better integrated
  • Several bugs from the Steam & PSX versions fixed
  • Recreated all places names with original fonts
  • Seamless scrolling skies & backgrounds, removed 'staircase' edges
  • Recreated baked-in textures NPCs
Videos
  • Contextual videos: color correction and smoother transitions
  • FMVs in 30fps (credit: Lykon)
Background objects
  • HD background 3D objects
  • HD NPC (with exceptions)
Worldmap
  • HD worldmap textures (upscaled and manually redone, mostly seamless and faithful)
  • Subtly moving sea
  • HD worlmap items (ships...) textures
Battles
  • HD monsters (with exceptions)
  • HD battlefields with redrawn edges (exceptions for animated textures)
  • Seamless skies
  • Fixed missing monster death sounds (credit: Tirlititi)
UI
  • Recreated faithful HD maps
  • Recreated Start menu and game over screens
  • Character portraits edges
  • More options in installer
  • Faithful PSX font: Alexandria by Teaito
Memoria fixes
  • Random encounter crashes fix
  • Problematic fields excluded from widescreen
  • Widescreen battle animations offset fix
  • Area names are now in the correct language
  • Curse & Chakra mechanics
  • Music and sounds adjustments
  • Tetra Master fix
  • Occasional missing Steam overlay/achievements fix
  • Uninstalling doesn't cause double names

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I'm giving this patch a try in the summer. I usually stuck to playing it on PS1/PS2 maily, but this mod has convinced me to give it a try and make the game look better. I do wish we could get even better models remade for the standard of the new backrounds though.