• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bIzw1yr.jpg

Since the reveal of ESRGAN, an AI technique that can enhance the textures of older games, a lot of gamers have been waiting for HD texture packs for the classic Final Fantasy games. And while there is currently one in the works for Final Fantasy 7, a beta version of an HD pack is currently available for download for Final Fantasy 9.

Created by 'Ze PilOt', this AI-enhanced HD texture pack can be downloaded from here. Now since this is a beta release, the modder stated that there might be some issues with it.

More at: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/fina...-beta-hd-texture-pack-available-for-download/

Alone for a while I've been searching through the dark and didn't find a thread, but lock if old

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Any comparison shots?

I'm pretty curious about the difference.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, saw this a few days ago. It's still in beta and I've played the game so many times already, so I wouldn't mind waiting until it's more completed/polished.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Square Enix looks into this kind of tech, playing 7/8/9 with non blurry backgrounds would be a dream come true.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Wait the PC version looks worse than the original PS1 version? LMAO
Haha, he mentions as much here:

https://twitter.com/Ze_PilOt/status/1079421309078200321
Sad truth : The PC version is crappier than the PS1 version. Left is PC, right is the original PS1. Seems that SE attempt at removing dithering artefacts result in huge loss of details. I have now to find a workflow that take the original PS1 tilesets...

Oct 29, 2017
It's interesting that one of the Tweets mention that the masking is also affected.

Really interested in following this, though. If this turns into a passion project - like the Resident Evil 4 retexture project - it could have a huge, positive effect on my favourite game of all time.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I tried it out and in some areas like the OP it's incredibly good but a lot of the starting areas in Alexandria are still kind of rough. One of the more jarring issues besides some stuff still looking a bit too blurry still is how things in the foreground layer have heavy aliasing. But it seems like that can be fixed by cutting around it as shown here by the modder working on FF7's upscale:
oldmask.jpg

newmask.jpg

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Amazing work. I hope other games will receive this treatment too - lots of old 2D background games from the 90's that could benefit if the AI solution is workable.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
These are amazing, they basically look like concept art.
If you don't mind me posting something from the old world, some might remember this thread for all the art that was found outside of the game itself at the highest quality possible (basically the original art before it was downscaled).

It does look like a similar quality using the machine learning upscaler
https://www./threads/the-lost-art-of-final-fantasy-ix-mama-robotnik-research-thread.551612/

rOq65U5.jpg

JdJbMrN.jpg

KI6926v.jpg

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
I tried it out and in some areas like the OP it's incredibly good but a lot of the starting areas in Alexandria are still kind of rough. One of the more jarring issues besides some stuff still looking a bit too blurry still is how things in the foreground layer have heavy aliasing. But it seems like that can be fixed by cutting around it as shown here by the modder working on FF7's upscale:
oldmask.jpg

newmask.jpg
meh, not the best example. at all.

both seem equal to my eyes, the "modded" one just comes off as jaggies free, and not something to bother at all.

Not that this isn't like magic in so many other games.

btw, anatomically correct FFVII? Gross.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I tried it out and in some areas like the OP it's incredibly good but a lot of the starting areas in Alexandria are still kind of rough. One of the more jarring issues besides some stuff still looking a bit too blurry still is how things in the foreground layer have heavy aliasing.
I feel like it should be possible to fix (or at least alleviate) that issue automatically by taking out the alpha channel, processing that separately using a network suited for this task (i.e. one that generates smooth vectorized-looking outlines) -- or even one trained specifically on masking data -- and merging that back into the color information processed by ESRGAN.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
This is incredible, though I still struggle with playing older games with updated visuals...I feel like the visuals are designed with older display technology in mind and don't look right when updated. I tend to try to play using original hardware on a CRT, or at least through emulation with CRT shaders. I'll give this a shot though and see how I feel about it.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
meh, not the best example. at all.

both seem equal to my eyes, the "modded" one just comes off as jaggies free, and not something to bother at all.

Not that this isn't like magic in so many other games.

btw, anatomically correct FFVII? Gross.
Naw, both examples are modded, with the bottom one getting the jaggies on the edges removed. This is the original version:

xFRR5FO.jpg

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe hate was too strong of a word. I just find the game way too slow and the combat system fairly boring and pedestrian. I do like Vivi, though.
Have you tried the PC/PS4 version? They added an option to skip the long battle intro which goes a long way to improving the pace. It's still not perfect by any means. But a marked improvement nonetheless.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible, though I still struggle with playing older games with updated visuals...I feel like the visuals are designed with older display technology in mind and don't look right when updated. I tend to try to play using original hardware on a CRT, or at least through emulation with CRT shaders. I'll give this a shot though and see how I feel about it.

Nostalgia glasses help me with this lol

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
the FFVII mod looks better imo, probably it has more "realistic" rendering which the neural network is trained on more than on stylized stuff?

MmxxkAk.jpg

MytO3g1.jpg

R7Q5cSd.jpg

B6BcBpk.jpg

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Amazing stuff. I don't understand why companies like Square couldn't bother going through the actual effort like the modders, produce results and even charge as DLC. It's just dumb.

Not to mention that most Square PC ports (like above mentioned IX) are plain bad.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Relevant to my interests. Previously I was messing with a ReShade to see if I could improve the graphics that way, messing with gamma, screenlines, and other old-timey effects + a bit if sharpening made it bearable...

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
A few comparison shots below:

Obviously expectations in check, especially here on a 4k screen where there's still a contrast between models+backgrounds. Still the results are so much better than default! Was surprised how much the colour palette changed in places too.

I have saves throughout the game, so if anyone has any requests for particular areas they want to see let me know and I'll see what I can do :)

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
A few comparison shots below:

Obviously expectations in check, especially here on a 4k screen where there's still a contrast between models+backgrounds. Still the results are so much better than default! Was surprised how much the colour palette changed in places too.

I have saves throughout the game, so if anyone has any requests for particular areas they want to see let me know and I'll see what I can do :)
Definitely looks a lot better than the PC version did before. Before they looked like models just floating in front of a backdrop...now they actually look more like they belong in the world.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After watching a 9 hour speedrun of FFIX I think think ill replay it anytime soon.