• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
According to Square Enix Asia, Final Fantasy IX is coming out in a physical package on Asia this winter for Switch.

received_801414727366520.jpeg

Facebook

If this is the same deal with the FF7 and FF8 double pack, this will come to other countries like Australia in the future.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Square is really gonna release a double pack of 7 and 8 and then 9 separately and then probably a complete pack of 7,8 and 9 . I'm complaining but I'd buy all editions T.T

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible box art but glad it exists. Also now people can stop complaining about VIII getting a physical release and not IX.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The FFVII and FFVIII boxarts are awful for Switch and PS4 as well, and this ain't better. Damn, SE, what you doin'?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
They should have made a triple pack, white font and the 3 titles in order top to bottom.

I don't mind the box arts, just saying.

I'll buy when SE begins real support on the Switch.
For now I only buy Saga games cause Kawazu deserves the sale.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What's the source on this? The link doesn't work for me and I'm not seeing it on their Facebook.

www.facebook.com

Square Enix Asia

Square Enix Asia. 161,288 likes · 9,971 talking about this. The official Square Enix Facebook page for Asian region. Please enjoy discussing all Square Enix game

Oct 27, 2017
Man, am I glad I didn't buy any of the digital versions. (besides ff7 ps4)

Heck, I'm kinda gun shy on grabbing the UK FF8 PS4 physical, knowing if SE will do an USA version soon after.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that it would be humanly possible to have a worse box art than that.

That being said, I wish we had a physical version of VII-IX in the west. I would easily buy them day one.

OP
OP
Waddles the Piggu
Oct 26, 2017
What's the source on this? The link doesn't work for me and I'm not seeing it on their Facebook.

www.facebook.com

Square Enix Asia

Square Enix Asia. 161,288 likes · 9,971 talking about this. The official Square Enix Facebook page for Asian region. Please enjoy discussing all Square Enix game
Hmm that's weird. Here's a screenshot I got earlier.

Screenshot_20201016_202920_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Checked just now and it's the second post in Square Enix Asia in FB.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
That is a dreadful box art, that's for sure. Hopefully it's changed when this releases outside of Asia in a year.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
wow, this is superbad.
they could have done the amano-way, instead chose an extended US-box-cover.

i want the physical box, but this shitty one.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a FF player and don't know much about FFIX, but 2 decades ago I saw a black and white screenshot of one of the characters (searched now and its name is Quina Quen) and always thought that tongue is a very long nose! lol Something like those Japanese masks with long noses:

lo8_vintage-japanese-ceramic-noh-demon_1_c3a6fc4a7529d4a2e4c44136b82d2537.jpg

That tongue is obvious in big colorful screenshots, but it wasn't that obvious in a small screenshot like this:

yogk_asdxc_-_copys.jpg

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
latest

Box art is fantastic and everyone dissing it needs to lose their JRPG enthusiast card S.T.A.T.

Day one for best girl Freya

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Disney Diamond Edition Blu-ray line vibes from the cover art. Don't care, I'm happy that it exists.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was surprised that people here seem to hate the box art when people in Facebook seem to love it. It's okay but Amarant got the short end of the stick there.

The big thing for me is that they actually tried to mimic it, even if standardized box mandates got in the way. And Amarant did get it rough, but I'm happy they chose to push him down so his face can be seen, rather than being covered up by the switch logo.

Even with its shortcomings its still far and away better than the original ps1 release in US. I know people love the plane Jane logo only box arts but 9's character design deserves to be shown off.

Vivi is exactly where he needs to be to attract attention.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Nice to know that it's confirmed to have English support. I imported the VII/VIII bundle. I'll have to get this one, too.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Hideous box art, but I'm definitely in for a copy. VII, VIII, and now IX... physical... and on a Nintendo console. What times we live in!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't include it with 7 and 8? C'mon it is a very old game...
This really throws me. Why not just release the PSX trilogy in one box at a higher price? Weird to divorce this one from the other two, especially since VIII got the more distinctive remaster treatment and would be the one you'd expect them to sell separately, if any of them

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Reminds me of the Romancing Saga 3 Switch boxart

Romancing_Saga_3_1024x1024.jpg

At least Romancing Saga 3 was originally a SFC game and therefore came in a landscape oriented box, so the Switch boxart makes at least some sense. But with Final Fantasy IX? Surely there was some better portrait artwork they could use - hell even the Final Fantasy standard "logon on a white background" seems more suitable!

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Since the double pack seems to now be coming over to Europe, I think I'll wait and see with this one since I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't come over as well (with hopefully nicer box art)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
You can get physical copies of PS1/PS2 era Final Fantasies (except XI) on Switch now. Kind of cute.