• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
ZG90Tb2.jpg

Initial release date: July 7, 2000 (PS1)
* PS4 version available immediately
Composer: Nobuo Uematsu
Writer(s): Hironobu Sakaguchi
Designers: Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Amano, MORE
Platforms: Android, PlayStation, iOS, Microsoft Windows

Original Boxart:
mm2lL3f.jpg

Steam Link

Features:
This PS4 version is an enhanced version of Final Fantasy IX that includes HD cutscene video, trophy support and boosters to help players level and master weapons faster. When you purchase the game on PSN, it also includes a PS4 theme and a set of player icons.(The FINAL FANTASY® IX Digital Edition includes the original custom theme designed by Toshiyuki Itahana and eight key characters avatars)

General Gameplay Features:
・Abilities:
Learn new abilities by equipping items. When fully mastered,these abilities can be used even without equipping items,allowing for nearly endless customization options.
・Trance:
Fill your Trance gauge as you sustain hits in battle. When fully charged, your characters will enter Trance mode, granting them powerful new skills!
・Synthesis:
Never let items go to waste. Combine two items or pieces of equipment together and make better, stronger items!
・Minigames:
Whether it's Chocobo Hot and Cold, Jump Rope, or Tetra Master, there are plenty of minigames to enjoy when you're not off saving the world. You can even earn special item rewards!

Story
Zidane and the Tantalus Theater Troupe have kidnapped Princess Garnet, the heir of Alexandria. To their surprise, however, the princess herself yearned to escape the castle.
Through a series of unusual circumstances, she and her personal guard, Steiner, fall in with Zidane and set out on an incredible journey. Meeting unforgettable characters like Vivi, who arrived to watch their performance but is at a loss when he realizes that he only has a forged ticket, as well as Quina along the way, they learn about themselves, the secrets of the Crystal, and a malevolent force that threatens to destroy their world

Party Characters
qoCl61J.png

Screens:

Other Info:
Launch Trailer
PSN Profiles Trophy List LOLOLOL
FFIX Walkthrough (GameFAQs)

4DvNP3g.jpg

While not great, I spent a couple hours putting this all together in a rush. It very much deserves it's own thread and hopefully those that have not purchased it on PS1/Vita/PS3/Mobile/PC give it a hot on PS4!

*Special Note*
This game is 17 years old and some of you might not have even been born yet when it was first released. What does that mean? Use spoiler tags!!!!

Thanks Scotia for the title. Let me know if anything needs to be changed or updated, God knows, I make mistakes all the freakin' time!

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game, Disneyland on a disc. Also, I appreciate the effort OP!

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for reminding me that I have the game in my backlog :(.

At least I got the most annoying trophy out of the way.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im playing in the "story mode" difficulty lol. I forgot How the characters and development of the game is so good, the dialogues are excelent and charismatic.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still hoping they'll release a patch for most of the problems it has. The very least they could do is fix the analog controls...

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Welp, just got reminded that I need to replay this game on the PS4. Been many, many years since I played it.

There are a few things that make me not want to play it, though... the low steal drop and the slow ass battles (although fast forward is a thing now)...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Best FF I've played, doesn't have much in the way of side quests but it's the one I've played with the most consistently good main quest. Ilike the towns the best, with Lindblum and Alexandria. The script is great, many of the characters are very amusing. I never found the battle system too slow and enjoyed the weapons ability system.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Remote play + script + many attempts later = success.

I've no idea how people had the patience to do it the normal way. Especially with the changing tempo.

Sometimes it pays to be dishonest lol, good job either way.

The card game in IX is such a mess.

Triple Triad won.

Come on, it was pretty fun. Triple Triad should have been implemented into every game moving forward though, even games not called Final Fantasy.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it pays to be dishonest lol, good job either way.

Come on, it was pretty fun. Triple Triad should have been implemented into every game moving forward though, even games not called Final Fantasy.

Triple Triad was amazing, but after IX SE completely dropped the ball. Card mini-games can be fun. No clue why SE abandoned the idea.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Triple Triad was amazing, but after IX SE completely dropped the ball. Card mini-games can be fun. No clue why SE abandoned the idea.

They made a huge error of judgement imo, the way Triple Triad was implemented into the junction system made FF8 so much more interesting. Being able to capture monsters and turn them into cards which could then be used in your deck or even broken down into components for weapon upgrades etc. was genius. They could have gone a lot further in subsequent games by taking inspiration from Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon. A real shame.

Oct 25, 2017
Still to this day have no idea how tetra works.
0m43 vs 4p22. 0m43 wins!

Me: the fuck is going on?

I don't think final fantasy has ever had 1 fun minigame ever. Except for Ff7. The goat.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, the BGs are not easy on the eyes, but you can get used to it. Not every place looks as bad as Alexandria.

I just can't help but wish for more, for the price they are charging I might just stick with the PS3 version in hopes of a full remaster down the track. The environments in FF9 are absolutely beautiful, it would be so great to see them remodeled someday :/

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Love this game so much. I might start playing it during the holidays. Can't wait.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Without all the mods on the pc version this will be a very poor way too play the game.

I must of modded the backgrounds, the audio, the frame rate, you name, it to try and get the game up to a modern standard.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Still to this day have no idea how tetra works.
0m43 vs 4p22. 0m43 wins!

Me: the fuck is going on?

I don't think final fantasy has ever had 1 fun minigame ever. Except for Ff7. The goat.

The first number is attack value, the letter is element type (P= Physical), the next two numbers are physical and magical defense I believe....... Either that or I am completely wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
The first number is attack value, the letter is element type (P= Physical), the next two numbers are physical and magical defense I believe....... Either that or I am completely wrong.
Yeah, but then flipping that card affects other cards. I can't think that far ahead. Computer is too good. Always fucks me.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's my favourite Final Fantasy.

Such a great cast.

Also Quina is amazing. Don't care what anyone else thinks.

459cOmy.png

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
My #1 favorite game of all time.
I think that says enough.

Edit: I always liked this review of the game. (Minor spoilers).

"I may not be able to say that Final Fantasy IX is my absolute favorite game in the series, but I can say that, from an objective place of analysis and when juxtaposed with the games that came before it, it is the best and closest to the ideal Final Fantasy game that there is."
-Reviewer at Dark Pixel Gaming

Last edited:

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
My favourite game.

Font choice is ugly though. The blurry backgrounds really stick out now with the improved character model. Can't say I like this remaster but I'm happy more people get to play it.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to playing this again, probably over the holidays.

This game is definitely in my top 3 GOAT.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IX remains my all-time favorite game to this day, in spite of a lot of fantastic competition. To this day no story, cast of characters, world, or ending has quite hit me that way FFIX's all did.

The card game in IX is such a mess.

Triple Triad won.

I prefer Tetra Master because it basically is Triple Triad, but with an RPG-style system in place of simple number comparisons. The game's rules should have been explained in more detail in-game, though.

Yes, plus the numbers are actually die that are rolled in a battle. So a less powerful card can still win if the roll is not in your favor.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a YouTube video with instructions on how to use the jump rope macro using remote play?

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017

Probably fell off in part because Hiroyuki Ito got swept into the janitor's closet. He created both Triple Triad and Tetra Master. Since being obscured since XII, he's worked on a mobile card game or two.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Ending is still sad :(

Vivi dying didn't hit me untill the second playthrough. But when it hit, damn. "Kuja said the prototype before us doesn' have the same life expectancy, but he doesn't know how long."

When the Black Mages still follow Kuja despite they realize he's lying is sad as well. I always wondered, when Vivi dies, I always imagine he never said goodbye to Zidane and the gang. It sucks.

Vivi does have kids though.. but I wonder if the Genomes just didn't clone him with some black magic.