• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Banners by Wazzy
m7vh8V7.png

Platform(s): Switch, Xbox One, PS4, PC (Steam/Windows 10)
Release Date:
Switch, Xbox One, Windows 10: February 13th, 2019​
PS4: September 19, 2017​
PC: April 14, 2016​
Genre: RPG
Price: $20.99 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Publisher: Square Enix
Size: 4.97 GB

fGi0H9O.png

Can I start with this game as my first Final Fantasy?
Yes. Final Fantasy IX, like the other numbered FF titles (follow up sequels like X-2 notwithstanding) is a standalone story and world that requires no previous knowledge of the series.

Turn based and random encounters?
Yes to both, though this port features the ability to disable encounters entirely if you wish.

What's new with this port over the PS1 original?
The port features 7 game boosters and cheats which include things such as "high speed", "max damage" and "no encounter" modes to streamline progression for those that want to just experience the story. The game also includes high-definition movies and character models (2D elements scaled to HD, 3D elements rendered in HD) and achievements/trophies for the platforms that support them.

Does this use the same background images as the PS4/PC port?
It appears so. AI scaling is still limited to a PC mod.

Which font is the Switch/Xbox port using?
The newer font seen in the recent ports.

Play Anywhere?
Yes, the game supports Play Anywhere on Xbox One and Windows 10. Buying the game on one platform gets you it on the other and gives you the option to cross-save.

Xbox One X enhancements?
No.

Achievement list?
https://www.trueachievements.com/n36457/final-fantasy-ix-achievement-list-revealed

Does the music glitch (tracks starting from the beginning after every encounter) on PS4 occur on Switch and Xbox One ports?
Apparently so as well as the 8 way limit for analogue control.

*Update: The bug has been fixed on PS4 and will be fixed on the other platforms in the future.

Any other issues?
The Xbox Store listing states that "Names cannot be changed in the current version" so character names are static.

With those issues in mind is the port still worth playing?
I have thoroughly enjoyed playing this version (well, the PS4 release). This and the original PSX release both have their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't say this is a terrible port by any means, and the boosters can make it really enjoyable and helps combat the originals issues with it's combat engine.

Chance of a physical release?
There haven't been any hints of one on any platform.

Media

dVplFY0.png
l08P8Bj.jpg

E1Xr8yH.jpg
T1Rb1DG.jpg

Reviews
Metacritic (PS4) - 85

Destructoid 9/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-final-fantasy-ix-465118.phtml
This game feels like a home run after almost two decades. The look may be a bit dated, but the gameplay still holds up, and the story still resonates. Final Fantasy IX is certainly worth the time of a first-timer or a nostalgic fan like myself. It's always a pleasant surprise to see how well a complex RPG can hold up almost 20 years later and a joy to have one of my favorite games easily accessible on a modern console.

Dualshockers 9.5/10
https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-ix-ff-9-ps4-review/
Final Fantasy IX on PlayStation 4 has rekindled my imagination that for years I thought I had lost, giving me a reason to return to these characters and story that deserve to be experienced by any fan of the genre. Final Fantasy IX on PlayStation 4 is upgraded and re-rendered up to the best possible version for every fan of Final Fantasy, new and old.

Push Square 9/10
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/p...medium=email&utm_campaign=review-notification
Not all aspects of Final Fantasy IX hold up perfectly in 2017, but the PSone swansong is still a stone cold classic. Although you could argue that the PS4 port should do more to enhance the experience, the adventure's core strengths in world building and storytelling remain, and they're as flawless as ever. When all's said and done, masterpiece is still a word that we'd use to describe Final Fantasy IX.

Links
Steam
PS4
Switch
Xbox One/Windows 10

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I bought this. Curious if it has any wonky things like how the audio was on PC for a while.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Will be playing this for the first time since forever. Crazy to be playing this game all these years later on Xbox. I wish the achievement's were a tad easier but that's neither here nor there.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
5 minutes until my download is complete. I've been holding off from replaying it for the 100th time, this is gonna be great!

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The other pressing issue is whether there's full analog control or if the game is restricted to 8 directions like the PS4 and Steam versions.

Galdius

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to play it on the Switch.
Will definitely buy it tomorrow morning.
Just wanted it to be a bit cheaper.

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to pick this up tonight. Hope more PSX/SNES Square games come to the Switch!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Favorite game ever! ... But I'm not picking this up anytime soon. Enjoy for those of you who do!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Purchased and Downloaded on my Switch. Will play after I finish my current playthrough of the Resident Evil Remake, and when I can put Tetris 99 down.

Muras

Oct 28, 2017
For those who bought it, does this version have only 8 directional controls even with the analog stick still? The original PS1 version was full 360 degree movement. I bought the Steam version years ago, but didn't get very far because the movement drove me crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still haven't added 360 degree movement, but one can hope...

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I want to buy this just to show IX some love but the font and UI is soooo bad. I'll probably just stick with it on Vita.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
For those who bought it, does this version have only 8 directional controls even with the analog stick still? The original PS1 version was full 360 degree movement. I bought the Steam version years ago, but didn't get very far because the movement drove me crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still haven't added 360 degree movement, but one can hope...
The mobile version has 360 degree movement. Not sure why this wouldn't?

Jadentheman

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Memoria mod on the steam release has analog movement

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Man, I can still remember the first time I finished this. Strangely, I never figured out who it was that was cutting onions at the same time...

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the eshop is probably busy but is this taking ages to download for anyone else?

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Will be playing this for the first time since forever. Crazy to be playing this game all these years later on Xbox. I wish the achievement's were a tad easier but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah, it will take 100~ hours and following a thorough guide to not miss many things, but it is so worth it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Does using boosters kill achievements?

From the PlaystationTrophies guide...

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...43-final-fantasy-ix-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Note on boosters/cheats

This version of the game comes with boosters and cheats designed to make the game easier. There are two different types: Boosters which can be accessed via the Pause menu () and don't disable trophies). Cheats which can be accessed via 'Config' in the character menu () and will disable trophies. Make sure you never use the latter! These are:

Boosters
  • - Battle Assistance (permanent Trance, always full ATB and fully restore HP/MP when hit, although you can still die if the attack is strong enough to reduce your HP to 0)
  • - 9,999 (every attack does 9,999 damage)
  • - High Speed Mode (the game is sped up considerably)
  • - Safe Travel (no encounters in the field, except for bosses and forced battles)
Cheats
  • Master Abilities (you master abilities instantly once you equip a weapon/armour piece)
  • Level and Magic Stones Max (all characters become Level 99 and Magic Stones to learn abilities are maxed)
  • Gil Max (instantly receive 9,999,999 Gil)

I imagine it is the same thing here.

Last edited:

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Man, this shadow dropped at the worst time. I got an anime convention to staff this weekend, and I don't get paid until next Wednesday. It's gonna be an insta-purchase either way. I do have one late game question (that can probably be answered from the PS4 version), but I'll ask in spoilers below.

In Disc 3, when the group got split up, Zidane had to take part in a Tetra Master tournament (I had barely paid attention to the mini game throughout). I was told you just have to play two games, and the story will move on regardless. I ended up playing maybe 10 or so matches and nothing would progress. I ended up dropping the game there. Is this issue fixed, or was that a one-time thing on my behalf?

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
The mobile version has 360 degree movement. Not sure why this wouldn't?
PS4 and PC version (unless you mod) don't have 360 movement. That and music resetting are small but very upsetting caveats of this version.

Should the Switch version not have those problem I'd seriously consider rebuying it...

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a Twitch stream and saw that the music bug and 8-way controls are still present in the Switch version. I hope we can get Square-Enix to acknowledge and fix these issues.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I watched a Twitch stream and saw that the music bug and 8-way controls are still present in the Switch version. I hope we can get Square-Enix to acknowledge and fix these issues.
Would be nice. Now's the time to make a stink, while the release is in the public eye. But it's been three years since the PS4 VII/IX ports... and nothing.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I totally own FFIX on PS1, Steam and PS4. I just bought it again on Xbox/Windows 10.

One of the best. So weird to play FFIX on an Xbox!

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
My favorite game of all time. I downloaded it instantly, and maybe I should have waited a bit before triple dipping, since I already have enough on my plate to play at the moment but It'll be nice to have when I'm not at the PS4.

Man, in between KH Birth By Sleep, Yakuza Kiwami and DMC5 soon, I'm a bit all over the shop....

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Man I'm conflicted
Everyone says the game is great
But everyone also says the port sucks

I want it on switch but I dunno
Are there options to change the text?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone explain what the music bug does? It just restarts whatever song was playing in the background after a random encounter is completed? I