• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a weird place to ask, but I'm almost done with FFIX (done Mognet through a guide, did all hot and cold, in Final dungeon), and I really enjoyed this version. The music bug didn't bug me at all, and the 8-direction aspect was unfortunate but I didn't mind too much.

Is the FFVII port similar in quality? I think it comes out next week, and I would love to pick it up once I'm done with IX, and continue this nostalgia. VII is one I did beat, (getting KotR with no guide, ah to be 13 and have time!) but if the game is as good of a port, I'm sure I'll have fun with it.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The VII port actually didn't alter its UI to be "mobile-like", like IX did, which some people might like more. It also doesn't have the lack of analog control thing IX's port did, because VII never had it in the first place. The music bug is there, mind. Also a lot of people moaned about the weird grey border IX has, well, VII doesn't have one at all.

NSwitchDS_FinalFantasyVII_05.jpg

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it.

A level 28 Quina was fundamental. Auto-life whenever possible.

Feels weird to have hated the game so much, and to have enjoyed it so much this time around.

The battles are still a horrible travesty though.

Thanks for the FFVII info. I'll be sure to pick it up too.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Played further in this -- just reached Lindblum and explored around for a bit.

I gotta say, I'm loving this game. The game's world and characters just feel so rich and alive. Whoever wrote this game clearly loved coming up with stories, lots and lots of stories, and you can feel their passion.

It's kind of a slow paced game, but I don't mind at all. I don't feel like I'm playing for the purpose of reaching the end. I feel like I'm playing just to experience this world.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Just beat it (well, the PC version, since I bought it before the Switch one was announced.) Really enjoyed it. Jumping to it after beating the VII port was interesting to see how much they mastered the using the Playstation. Learning abilities through equipment is a much more sensible system than materia (though magicite is a little different), and it sidesteps some of the usual RPG conventions of better equipment only being useful until the next town.

It did feel like the most narrative-driven of the FFs I've played (IV, VI, VII, IX), mostly to great effect, though I can see how some could get peeved by the amount of times you walk through Lindblum castle to get more exposition. Also I find it odd that some describe parts of VII's story in particular as Sakaguchi working out themes of mortality, when that ends up being one of the larger pillars of this game instead (I guess because there are less perminant deaths?)

In terms of glitches, there were some times where the battle screen just wouldn't load, causing the need to restart from the continue save, but otherwise it was manageable.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always curious how far into a game I am, I checked the IGN walkthrough, and looks like I'm right at the end of disc 2. Once I complete that section, would you say I'm 50% complete (2/4 discs)? Or further as disc 4 seems to have less? Or am I not as far because there's a bunch of grindy stuff coming up?

Also, this game has been super linear so far - which I'm loving. Does it basically keep up this structure to the end?

Also, I have next to no idea what I'm doing with abilities lol. I basically just attack with Zidane. Still don't have any summons for Dagger and not sure how to get them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

irri

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So just to make sure... the speed-up isn't mapped to a button or anything? You really have to press start and toggle it on/off everytime?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try to play through this finally. This is the only FF I haven't beaten outside of FF2 and FF3.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't feel good to play. Input lag is pretty terrible, loading takes forever and the delay in the battle numbers after a hit just make the battles feel worse than FF7. It's just a really sluggish game. I know the damage numbers might be a silly thing to complain about, but it definitely makes the game feel even more sluggish than it would otherwise. The super speed also doesn't feel good here...it's too fast and it caps the framerate at 30fps still, whereas FF7's 3x mode is slightly slower and makes things a lot more manageable by running at 60fps. Combine that with the fact that you need to open the pause menu to open it in this game and it just feels quite annoying.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
After diving into FF7 and FF9 ports, it makes me a bit sad. Imagine if they had used AI scaling for the backgrounds and managed to up the framerates to 60fps (though I realize that last one isn't trivial). These would still hold up pretty damn well with a bit more effort.

Oct 25, 2017
Music loping fix has released on Switch and in development for the other platforms.

Damn you...

No timeline. Meanwhile I'm on disc 3. Definitely will be released the moment I finish the game

Worth mentioning right now that the music bug really, really isn't a big deal. I haven't noticed it at all. Would have liked for it to be fixed but oh well. There are other things that should be a higher priority but I guess would require more resources

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the blue narciss and can pick my party... do I need to start thinking about endgame prep now or can I just build up the weaker ones? And as far as party arrangement for endgame, I should just ensure I don't go all in on magic? 2 physical, 2 magic?

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I first bought the original FFIX back during the summer of 2001. I was a Nintendo kid growing up and the spring of 2001 my parents bought me a PS One. IX was actually the first FF game I tried, and I remember being amazed by it in the store when the clerk allowed me to try it for 30min and she even commented something like "yeah that game is amazing" because she probably saw me with my jaw dropped. I decided to go with VII though as my first PS1 game because I knew nothing about FF and thought they were connected.

VII has for a very long time been one of my favorite games ever but I have to say... XI is definetly on the same level as VII for me. They are both amazing for different reason. I finished XI for the very first time EVER 2 days ago on the Switch, on PS1 I stopped when I got to Terra. This game has so many cool things going for it, charming characters, great locations and ooooh the OST. Going to play it again on PS4 and get that plat, I have to... I don't want to stop playing this game.