• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
For those who are wondering, handheld mode doesn't really make the low res prerendered backgrounds look any better. In fact, I prefer the way the game looks docked to undocked because the character models really shine. This port is what it is. Playing FF9 portable is still pretty cool.

To be fair, you've been able to play it portable for more than a decade.
Though, I wonder if it has the slow down the game had on the PSP back in the day. Some battles in some areas when using spells etc would dip into slide show territory.

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing (but not surprising) to see that this port has all of the same issues as the PS4/PC version.

Replayed this recently on Vita and that's still the ideal way to play imo.

Amazing game btw, even better than I remembered (best FF).

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I was bored so I did a couple banners if you want to use them in the OP. They aren't the greatest though. xD

m7vh8V7.png

fGi0H9O.png

These are nice!!

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Even though it's not my favorite entry, I'd say X is the best to start with, and then go backwards or forwards from there.
i wouldnt recommend anyone to jump on at x, but im probably not a good jusge since X is the final fantasy game that after id played nearly all the other ff games convinced me that the series is just not turning into sonething i enjoy at all and to drop the series. 9 actually was the last one i really liked.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I will not support a version of this game with that music bug. That is fucking lazy, lazy bullshit. Capture the timestamp of where the track was and replay it from there. That is surely a simple as hell bug fix.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I just booted the original up on Vita, and these 'remastered' backgrounds are so much worse. I can't believe how little SE respects this game.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Am beyond sad that this still has the music bug. Surely Square is aware of it, seeing as it's a thing across multiple games on multiple systems? Guess they won't fix it in FF7 either then, huh...

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Am beyond sad that this still has the music bug. Surely Square is aware of it, seeing as it's a thing across multiple games on multiple systems? Guess they won't fix it in FF7 either then, huh...
Unfortunately they've had like...4 or 5 years to fix it for FF7 and they just haven't been bothered.

I'd say the game is still good enough to enjoy for people that never played it before though.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
This is hands down my favorite Final Fantasy title. Happily purchased it on Vita, iOS, Steam, and now Switch. Can't wait to play through this again. So envious of those of you who are playing it for the first time, enjoy!

Oct 25, 2017
I never actually finished FFIX. I think I made it near to the end and just....stopped. Always intended to go back but didn't. IIRC I reached a point in the game where there was a pretty significant departure in the story and setting and no longer felt as invested.

Questions for the port:

- is there a speed up option for the battles?
- no load times (or neglible) for random encounters?
- what exactly is the music bug and how disruptive is it?

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Best Final Fantasy I'm so happy it's on one if the best systems ever!!! Sadly I'll be waiting for a bit more cash before I buy it on a 6th platform! Hopefully next month though. I hope all you new people enjoy it immensely

Oct 25, 2017
If I can only pick up one of them, should I be getting this or Versperia to play on the Switch? Haven't played either before and I'm in the mood for a JRPG.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Why, why, why is SE okay with having this audio bug in their games? This is not okay. And why the fuck does it keep happening, it's happened in 7, 9 and 10 PS4 (the only one they bothered fixing). They have these incredible games with incredible music that they're straight up tarnishing and they don't seem to give a fuck.

No buy.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I've been watching the recent awesome games done quick speed run of this and wanting to play it, so nice timing! Though I'm pretty conflicted, this port has been out for over 2 years and its got the same issues on a whole new set of consoles at full price no less.

Might have to wait for a sale.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Problem for me is the movement. The original had analog movement. This has like 8 directions. Feels rank. Does it still have this problem?

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never played FFIX and held of buying it on PS4 because of the music bug. I can't believe they haven't fixed it..

Music is one of the most important things for me when it comes to games. I won't buy it until it's fixed.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Ok it's a dreadful port. No analog controls, music resets after random encounters, perceptible input delay even in menus (Alexandria's rope jump mini-game is unplayable). They butchered this. Is there a way to get refunded on European eShop?

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
Ok it's a dreadful port. No analog controls, music resets after random encounters, perceptible input delay even in menus (Alexandria's rope jump mini-game is unplayable). They butchered this. Is there a way to get refunded on European eShop?

Is it really that bad? Oh jeez. I was looking forward to this and all the FF output on Switch. :(

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
Haha, that world map framerate. And I thought Vesperia on the Switch was bad. Really disappointing port. Next time I'll wait for impressions before jumping in rather than blindly following my FFIX nostalgia.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh...maybe you should read some of the impressions here...

Well shit. Too late though.. I already purchase it on Switch. >_>

Maybe they'll fix it..

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Geez I hope VII gets a little more love from SE than it sounds like this one got. Not confident though.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. PAL version of the original on Vita or butchered Switch port?

Oh, well. I already have the Vita version.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Man, IX deserves so much better. How they can keep pushing out these subpar ports I'll never understand.

I guess I'll stick to emulating the PS1 version. Shame, portable FF IX would've been great.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
..From reading this I wish I didn't buy it on switch now.
We need that refund option asap.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the PC version with the Memoria mod and the new high quality made FF9 backgrounds is absolutely the best version of the game now it seems. I can't believe they still have the same bugs in this version.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
$20.99 is a weird price.

And it's a weird port.

I love FFIX and want to indicate interest/support on the Xbox, but Square is making it awfully difficult.