• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing it and am sort of stumbling along, lol. It's been a long time since I played FFIX, so I didn't fully remember some events.

Am having a great time, despite some of the obvious problems with the presentation.

Oct 25, 2017
Concerning the game itself - I made it to Lindblum this morning. No matter how many times I play the game, I never stop loving all the different areas of the city and how lived in it feels. In general, the towns and cities in IX are all really awesome, expressive and have their own vibes but Lindblum is really special. The little intro fmv after the chase is really well placed too, after such a rush of events, to see the massive structure before you, the ships coming in and out (even on the world map in fact!). I love it.

Thanks a lot for your answer . It helped me a lot!

No worries at all. At the end of the day, it's a wonderful game, and it is a shame Square won't put a bit more effort into these ports (that AI driven texture background stuff on pc looks so good, why can't we have that everywhere lol), but I do think the core experience is there. That said, I played the game literally for years on psp and vita and that's an awesome place too. You can feel as good about getting it there if you want the peace of mind, it is the original release after all haha and imo the vita is way more portable if commutes etc are part of your decision.

Last edited:

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Lindblum is my favourite FF city, period.

Its the city thats on the brink of a technological breakthrough in a world thats still full of magic. A lot of other cities are amazing as well (The Burmecia theme is still one of the best in the game), but Lindblum is fantastic.

Gwok

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy the first four characters that make up the party.

(Although I could do without that scene of Zidane groping Dagger's butt. Always thought that was super awkward.)

Like seemingly everybody else, Vivi is my favorite character.

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the first four characters that make up the party.

(Although I could do without that scene of Zidane groping Dagger's butt. Always thought that was super awkward.)

Like seemingly everybody else, Vivi is my favorite character.

I always felt that after Freya it was all kinda downhill character wise. Quina, Eiko, amarant blah

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I think Steiner is probably my favourite character in the game. So many of his scenes really crack me up, and he does have a nice character arc. Freya ftw as a pure badass.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
As always, Blue Magic is hilariously overpowered. Mighty Guard makes Shell and Protect look like jokes, and Limit Glove just breaks the game.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sent feedback regarding the bugs, have SE officially acknowledged the issues? Or have any game journalists or outlets brought them up? Seems ridiculous that they can get away with releasing games with problems and just ignoring the complaints with no consequences.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Amarant is arguably the biggest after thought of a party member in the entire game.

I can't even pinpoint one memorable moment from that dude in all the years I've replayed the game.

Yeah, he's a waste of a party member slot as-is. All the others get great characterization, IMO, even Quina and Eiko.

I still maintain they should've replaced Amarant with Beatrix, the best Final Fantasy character.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Eiko is an absolutely amazing character that gets ton of development and touching moments in the game, what are you smoking!
Quina is also amazing at being a comic relief, it's unfair to judge him/her like the other characters.
Freya started off strongly but they should have concluded her story better before the end of the game.
Amarant I'll admit is underdeveloped, but you still gain nothing from removing him from the game, and you'd outright lose some good moments.

Dec 15, 2017
Germany
2-photos13.jpg

Square Enix: Challenge accepted!

Jan 9, 2018
first-time playing this one and is being a blast (I played 1 to 7 many years ago and dropped 8 before the end of the first disc)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he's a waste of a party member slot as-is. All the others get great characterization, IMO, even Quina and Eiko.

I still maintain they should've replaced Amarant with Beatrix, the best Final Fantasy character.

Or any of the Tantalus troupe.

Played 5 hours last night between my PS3 and Vita (the save transfer works surprising slick). The *only* thing holding it back is the slow ATB speed, it's pretty rough but as long as you're kinda doing something else it's bearable. I was watching a buddy play Res 2 and helping him get through puzzles and shit so it was easy to wait out the longer battle times.

I'll probably end up dipping into the switch one too once it's on sale because I'm a rube. Lovely nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
When ff9 released I was in highschool, I remember how much everyone loved that game. I remember it as a sort of a phenomenon , similar to when zelda ocarina of time released.

I remember seeing the jewel cases being passed around and kids talking about it.

I finished it, remembered I though it was great, but not much besides that, with the flurry of jrpgs that we had on the ps1 back then, and at the rate I was playing them, I could see how I didn't retain much from my play through.

Well, now I'm playing it for the first time since, and so far (5 hours in) its one of, if not the jrpg with the best story that I can remember. Smart, funny, relatable, and concience to the overall world and atmosphere.

You might be able to argue that but I will hold my ground when saying this is THE definitive most charming final fantasy game ever made. From the character animations, to the world being populated with humans as well as anthopromorphic animals of all kinds, to the cute moogles everywhere. The entire game is DRIPPING with flavor, fun and magic.

The updated visuals, while not a huge difference to some, is incredible looking to me, I was expecting rough looking character models, but they rezzed them all up and they look clean.

I'm absolutely in love with this game right now, especially being able to play it in bed and anywhere else, anyone that's ever thought of picking it up, trust me when I say, its worth every penny.

Oct 30, 2017
I know, this is probably answered, but as a FFIX noob, can anyone tell me if the 100/100 impressed is worth it?

I tried about 10 times or more last night, and failed miserably, getting no more than about 45. \

If it's not worth it, or the game is easily completable without this, I'd like to just move on and enjoy the game rather than feeling like an idiot trying this damn thing over and over and over. If it's worth it, how the heck can i do this easily?

Help a tired dad of twins with very little time on his hands that wants to relax and enjoy FFIX.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vivi is one of my favorite characters in gaming period. I love that lil dude to death. This is making me itchy for a replay.

Oct 27, 2017
I know, this is probably answered, but as a FFIX noob, can anyone tell me if the 100/100 impressed is worth it?

I tried about 10 times or more last night, and failed miserably, getting no more than about 45. \

If it's not worth it, or the game is easily completable without this, I'd like to just move on and enjoy the game rather than feeling like an idiot trying this damn thing over and over and over. If it's worth it, how the heck can i do this easily?

Help a tired dad of twins with very little time on his hands that wants to relax and enjoy FFIX.

1~49 = Ether
50~79 = Elixir
80~99 = Silk Shirt
100 = Moonstone

It's not critical to get the moonstone. There are 4 of them in the game. The silk shirt is a decent equip early on iirc.

CalZone

Nov 18, 2017
I sent feedback regarding the bugs, have SE officially acknowledged the issues? Or have any game journalists or outlets brought them up? Seems ridiculous that they can get away with releasing games with problems and just ignoring the complaints with no consequences.
Yeah are SE going to fix this anytime soon? Or do we have to get vocal?

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone else having issues on Switch with certain options in the Config menu seemingly not working? I can't seem to make the Skip Battle Camera or the ATB Wait mode to do anything. Are those options just broken or what? I'm also not sure if the Battle Speed is actually doing anything.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Did the Ice Cave last night and got to whatever that next town is called. I've owned FF9 at least 3 times and never played it, but I'm enjoying it so far. I had it in my mind I'd be re-buying/replaying FF7 the other day, but to be fair I probably wouldn't have played 9 if they released 7 first on Switch... good move Squeenix.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit tempted to get this on Switch and finally give it a play. I've always been interested in FFIX, ever since it first came out when I was in middle school. Back then I was an N64 loyalist, but I secretly admired a number of PSX games, and this was one of them. I didn't have the means to play it at the time, but looking at screenshots in game magazines and pirating its music on Napster lit my imagination on fire, leading me to write fantasy stories inspired by the game's imagery, lol. :-)

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I considered buying this on Switch. If it's like the PS4 version of FFVII, I'll have to pass. I can't stand it compared to the original.

With some people complaining, I would have to assume I'm in their camp, as I couldn't stand the reduced frames when in battle, and I think there was a music issue.

As someone who has replayed these games loads of times on PS1 and PS3, any negative changes are immediately noticeable.

I may just pick up a Vita at some point, especially since Ive already purchased many PS1 games so I won't even need to repurchase them.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Is it just me or are the complaints about the font/UI REALLY overblown? I almost skipped on the game because of them but looking at screenshots it isn't even that bad, I think I might actually prefer it over the original even.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Amarant is arguably the biggest after thought of a party member in the entire game.

I can't even pinpoint one memorable moment from that dude in all the years I've replayed the game.
Ipsen's Castle!

It's where all of his actual character development comes to a head because he just can't understand why the guy who ruined his life has since become a selfless hero who can actually put his trust into others and so he tries to prove a point, gets his shit kicked in for it, and he grows as a person for it.

Amarant is a better character than people give credit, but he is certainly weaker for how his development is very much tied to Zidane and stuff that you can easily miss.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ipsen's Castle!

It's where all of his actual character development comes to a head because he just can't understand why the guy who ruined his life has since become a selfless hero who can actually put his trust into others and so he tries to prove a point, gets his shit kicked in for it, and he grows as a person for it.

Amarant is a better character than people give credit, but he is certainly weaker for how his development is very much tied to Zidane and stuff that you can easily miss.
Ah yeah that

I just remembered that entire thing as "Amarant and Zidane did a thing at Ipsen's Castle" lol but I see your point.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah that

I just remembered that entire thing as "Amarant and Zidane did a thing at Ipsen's Castle" lol but I see your point.
I don't blame you for seeing it like that because Amarant's connection to Zidane and all the things that make him tick are handled just sloppily enough to where it can just come off as Amarant being Amarant if you missed that stuff or weren't actively thinking about his stuff when you get to the castle.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Is it true you can revert to the old style menus?

Edit: Is it hell true, this is SE we are talking about.

Last edited:

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
My favourite game of all time, right here. Replayed it on PC a year ago and the features that allow you to speed the game up and disable random encounters are life savers. I didn't notice just how slow this game was as a kid, it was made more and more evident as the years went by, I must have had the patience of a saint.

For those new to the game, I hope you love it. I'm jealous you get to experience it for the first time.

Oct 27, 2017
I started it yesterday, got about two hours in... Does the story / gameplay pick up anytime soon? That intro was ok, I guess, but having the fights being completely pointless was kind of a bad decision.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Ipsen's Castle!

You get Amarant too late in the game, if you want to learn all his skills you'll be stuck using trash weapons until pretty late on. A lot of them are useless anyway though

Oct 25, 2017
A friendly reminder to people playing for the first time (or 19 years later) to not sell extra equipment until you get to Lindblum a half dozen hours or so in. You get access to a store that lets you combine equipment to make new stuff and it's better than having to rebuy a bunch of stuff to make things.

Also, steal from all the bosses like crazy to get some good equipment and abilities early on. This includes the "boss" like 5 minutes into the game.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I'm torn by whether to play this on my laptop using something like RetroArch, with its internal resolution upgrades, and the original PS1 version, the Steam release on same laptop using Wine, and the HD background mods, and the Switch. Price doesn't bother me, and it comes down to quality of experience versus controls. Switch has real controls, but possibly longer loading times versus the alternatives

It runs pretty damned fast on my phone, but the screen is so small it's a turnoff. Suggestions? Just how bad are the loading times on Switch anyway. Used to be able to reduce the battle loading in the old ones using fixed view and other options.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There's a point where you play as Steiner and Marcus in Alexandria, and there are infinite enemies that come. Specifically,
right after breaking out of the cage and running along the ledge
. If you have Steiner's Blood Sword from Treno (which you should, look up how to get this), you can kill off Marcus, set the game to fast speed and auto battle, and sit back and watch the levels come rolling in. Enemies just keep coming, Steiner auto attacks and can't ever die thanks to the sword, you only have to press A to move the end of battle screen on.