• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I was bored so I did a couple banners if you want to use them in the OP. They aren't the greatest though. xD

m7vh8V7.png

fGi0H9O.png

I'll put them over in the OP, thanks!

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
What is the likely hood that they will patch the music bug? i can live with it, but its just a bit silly they've gone to any effort to release it and not automatically release it as they latest patched version?

But the most important question for me is, is there a way to cheat/scam/whaterver the jump rope minigame? its by far the worst mini game in any final fantasy game (second only to X's lightening jump) and i just cannot muster the patience to do it again, especially just to complete my card collection
If it were possible to transfer a save from the steam version i'd play upto it at the start and set a macro up and the put the save on my switch! there is a level of hell reserved for the designer of that

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Has the PS4 version ever gone on sale? By how much and how much time did it take?

I want the Switch version but 21€... oof

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
That music bug is a huge issue. I was excited to play on Switch for portability, but I will definitely go for PC if that doesn't get fixed.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I can usually get around 70 on jump rope in the PS1 version. Couldn't get over 2 during my brief try on Switch. Must be a latency issue.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
What a lazy port. I had really hoped they would have added 360 degree movement and got rid of the sound glitch. But they have literally taken the ps4 port and shoved it on switch and xbox one. Not even any x enhancements. Really disappointed.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
They still didn't fix the music issue? GODDAMMIT... I was looking forward to playing it on the switch :/

CountBlack

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible game but I just replayed it on the PS4 when it released there.

Will probably buy again later down the road though lol

I currently have it on PS1/PS4 and iOS.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Is the port still playable if you don't care about completionism or the music bug? Are there things other than the jump rope where the latency matters?

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Is the port still playable if you don't care about completionism or the music bug? Are there things other than the jump rope where the latency matters?
I seem to remember some proto-QTEs in some scenes (like the "I wanna be your canary" part).

It is certainly salvageable but it is so easy to fire up Beetle PSX on my pc that I won't bother (still have my original discs).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I thought I saw Autosave somwhere in a note, how does this work?

Well last night, when I had a quick test, I ran to where the save moogle should be in the chapel tower and it wasn't there. I guess I needed to trigger Puck and the ladder first. So I just closed the game. This morning when I booted up, "Continue" was lit up, and choosing it put me right back in that chapel room.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Switch video unsold it for me. Didn't care that much about the looping music, but the hi res character models with the lo res backgrounds it too ugly. Will likely pick up ps1 classics version to play on my Vita (once I finish VIII on my Vita).

Will still pick up X and XII on the Switch unless there's some terrible flaw.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Why couldn't they integrate the recent HD Machine Learning upscales made by some incredibly competent people ...
Such as this : https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/

Alas I think that tech matured too late into the development of these ports to be used, and even if not I suspect these were probably down cheaply as possible so not sure they would've bothered anyway.

I do wonder when we'll start seeing ESRGAN and such used in remasters, hopefully sooner rather than later

Last edited:

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why is the FF license treated so badly in these last years?? How did it come to this??

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played quite a few FF games, but never beat any of them. I have a good friend who says this is one of his favorite games of all time. What makes it so special for those who have played it? I'm kind of tempted to jump in.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Menus are such a waste of space in battle mode. Too much to expect the 3d portions of the game to be in widescreen I guess, if they can't be bothered to fix known bugs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I've played quite a few FF games, but never beat any of them. I have a good friend who says this is one of his favorite games of all time. What makes it so special for those who have played it? I'm kind of tempted to jump in.

Fun and whimsical tone with enough serious gravitas to ground it, great leading protagonist, classic-styled fantasy setting, some of Uematsu's best work.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I don't think anyone should buy any further ports of this game, no matter how good the game by itself is, until Square gets off their asses and fixes the damn music loops for all current ports. (And FFVII for good measure, it's fixed on PC but not PS4 and who knows about the upcoming Switch port.) How hard can it be? And please, if this bothers you as well, send your complaints to Square Enix.

The music is a huge and important part of the series.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I don't remember the borders looking that stretched and blurry on the PC version.

Obviously doesn't matter, there are bigger issues like the resetting music, but just something that stuck out to me.

Muzzymate

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Picked up the Xbox One version last night and had a great time. For being originally a PS1 game, it looks fantastic with all the enhancements. I'd kill for an equivalent release of Xenogears.

The menus and font choice, I don't give two craps about (they look fine to me and are easy to read). However, the music loop issue is a shame, considering this is some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work. Does anyone know if it's fixed in the "Play Anywhere"/Windows 10 version of the release? My only Windows 10 machine is a dedicated Plex server.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I tweeted at the Square and Final Fantasy accounts asking if they'd fix the music bug. I hope a few of you do the same (respectfully).

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone should buy any further ports of this game, no matter how good the game by itself is, until Square gets off their asses and fixes the damn music loops for all current ports. (And FFVII for good measure, it's fixed on PC but not PS4 and who knows about the upcoming Switch port.) How hard can it be? And please, if this bothers you as well, send your complaints to Square Enix.

I agree. I know it doesn't bother some people, which is fine. But I won't buy these until the bug is fixed... if it's fixed.

Is there really any way to contact them, though? They don't respond on Twitter. And their website requires you to pick a game for which you want support--yet these ports aren't even listed as options! I've tried sending mails for other versions, but have never heard back.

I tweeted at the Square and Final Fantasy accounts asking if they'd fix the music bug. I hope a few of you do the same (respectfully).

Did the same, also politely. Probably won't help, but can't hurt.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Great story, world building, characters, great music. Fun presentation. After Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII, it seemed more of a throwback to a more lighthearted fantasy story than the technology-driven games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Feels really good to be playing FFIX again. I did a run a few years back on vita but having a really nice time with the switch version. Currently in the forest, I love the atmosphere of this place. I think this is the first time I ever got the moonstone form Brahne, although not the first time I've pleased 100 of 100 in the audience so it's nice to discover new things even now. The backgrounds actually hold up better than I expected!

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun and whimsical tone with enough serious gravitas to ground it, great leading protagonist, classic-styled fantasy setting, some of Uematsu's best work.

Great story, world building, characters, great music. After Final Fantasy VI, VII and VIII, it seemed more of a throwback to a more lighthearted fantasy story than the technology-driven games.

Thanks you two! Lighthearted fantasy sounds pretty appealing, and it's part of what I really enjoy Dragon Quest games. For $20, I think I'll give this a go!

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Let's be honest this port is gonna be a smashing success.. smh

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Stupid question but when people are saying there's no analogue, are they meaning literally no use of the left analogue joy con, or do they mean it only works in 8 directions?

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game, one of my childhood classics... What relevant items are missable in the game? I don't want to bother with the jump rope too much but I don't remember if I can always try it.