• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I was just thinking about how I'd go about buying these on my Switch

Then I remembered they're not actually coming to the Switch

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man they really need to bring these to console. Even though its scummy they aren't bundling them I'd consider nabbing all of them just so I could have a complete series collection of Final Fantasy on Playstation.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
At this point I'm just really excited to play "Vanilla" FFIII since we've only gotten the DS remake.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Thought on this haven't changed much, still a million times better than the mobile versions and I wish we got PSP level remakes instead.

They better have all the most up to date translations and content and bug fixes.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I hope that for the bosses they make them like the PSP releases:
latest

And not like the GBA/PS1 ones:
latest
The FF1 footage already showed Garland's PS1/GBA sprite, so you're probably out of luck there.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate the sprites (even though I think they're a downgrade from Record Keeper), but it bothers me how much dead space there is on the battle screens now.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, it looks like Narshe is literally going through a blackout in the original and no one has power which isn't the case.
I think it would look better if they kept the scale of the scene and added lights to the darkness, like how it looks as they approach it from the snowfield. Remember, that happens AFTER they scout Narshe from the cliffs:
t1K66rz.png

Still, looks a million times better than:
e9uTGAB.png

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, I somehow completely missed that this was happening. And I'm on this board every day. Nice to see this level of attention to detail in a remake, even if it's destined to disappoint many people. Super weird choice not to bring it to consoles, though.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't stand the way the battle scenes look. The widescreen aspect ratio is just making the sprites look tiny in most of these cases with massive amounts of awkward looking negative space, and they haven't really done anything stylistically to try to address the big change in presentation. There's a ton of unused space and yet still there's also simultaneously not enough space for the UI to not intrude and cover characters in some cases like in the FFIV footage. It manages to be both overly crowded and utterly sparse at the same time.

The scenes in the field for the most part look pretty good, but considering the majority of the "gameplay" in these games is in the battle screens, it's not very promising.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the upper left screen. You can see the town down the mountain! That's new! They are going further than I thought they would with the graphics redesign!

I love everything that I am seeing.

unknown.png
these screens would have went a long way during the SE live stream earlier this month. it looks great IMO.

I wonder if they'll throw in some extras like CRT filters in addition to the fast forward stuff.

Last edited:

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
FFIII looks so nice!

I'm actually a fan of the original 2D game and every now and then I used to wonder about the possibility of an updated version of it ever releasing. So crazy to me that it's actually happening.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Look at the upper left screen. You can see the town down the mountain! That's new! They are going further than I thought they would with the graphics redesign!

I love everything that I am seeing.

unknown.png
My only gripe is that the top wolf is looking to have weird perspective with the background. I don't know if it was like this in the original though

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I somehow completely missed that this was happening. And I'm on this board every day. Nice to see this level of attention to detail in a remake, even if it's destined to disappoint many people. Super weird choice not to bring it to consoles, though.
I'm fully expecting them to bring them to at least Switch and PS4 at some point but probably as two bundles so they can release physical versions and charge $60 for each. I'm also fully expecting the trophy lists to be trash because I'm still bitter about Crystal Chronicles lol.

Anyway, the sprite work looks great to me. I really don't get the complaints.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will buy the proper way, which means I will wait for them to be available on Switch.
And hopefully in a cart.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
It really shouldn't be too much of a problem for most of them. 1 and 2's were both optional post game content, so you can preserve the original experience and still have them around.
They'd definitely have to rebalance them in FF1's case though, if they're retaining the NES/PS1 spell system. The extra GBA/PSP bosses were very much balanced around the more modern MP system, and would be damn near impossible if they were thrown in as is.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Port Begging
So... Squenix. Y'all will kick 7, 8, 9, X, X-2, and XII to Switch, but not. These? And selling them separately?

What the HELL. Make it make fucking sense.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
God I missed Sakaguchi's Final Fantasy... ☹️

Looks like he's good relations with Square Enix though.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like they are explicitly trying to keep the same pixel density for all objects, rather than the mishmash of the (honestly not all bad) mobile ports, which is what they meant when they tagged them as "pixel perfect". The higher res enemy sprites, spell effects, and battle backgrounds in those versions were gorgeous.

I haven't done the math, but what is the ration between a pixel in these versions and how many pixels wide they will be on a 1080p screen? Does that make a Switch port complicated due to handheld mode needing a different scaling?

Last edited:

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fully expecting them to bring them to at least Switch and PS4 at some point but probably as two bundles so they can release physical versions and charge $60 for each. I'm also fully expecting the trophy lists to be trash because I'm still bitter about Crystal Chronicles lol.

Anyway, the sprite work looks great to me. I really don't get the complaints.
Yeah that makes sense. Too much money left on the table to keep it away from consoles.

I like the look, too. Totally fine with a revived appreciation for pixel work from a major publisher. Between this and 2D-HD we're getting love for classic art styles that I would never have predicted not long ago.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This looks fantastic! The sprite work is awesome imo, especially in the face of those awful mobile ports from the past.

I imagine this will eventually release on console...I wonder if SE is hoping for Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft to throw some money at them before they have to bother doing it themselves?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm just glad I can finally play a version of FFV and FFVI that doesn't look ugly. I understand some people prefer the original art, but as someone who never played the originals these will do just fine for me.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
caught this info 'leak' about the platform/release dates back when the E3 trailer came out but it's from 4chan so grain of salt etc.
X5df4au.png

nothing too crazy, even that the first game releasing next month could've been a good guess, but if it is FF1 and the rest follow in this release schedule/order there might be some truth to it.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Is Narshe Phoenix, Arizona?
I feel the intent was something like this:
DhYAOR4XkAE8gLg.jpg

yoeyN.jpg

Considering how much they changed it they might as well have changed the canyon itself to a more fitting type of stone and made the scene more snowy to match the actual town.

Actually, here's concept art of Narshe:
ZyhCuMw.png

Interestingly they put smaller brown-roofed houses in the cliffs that look different from the main town and match the ones you see in the intro more. They should have just converted this to pixel art or something.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The games certainly look decent and acceptable unlike the previous mobile atrocities.
So... Squenix. Y'all will kick 7, 8, 9, X, X-2, and XII to Switch, but not. These? And selling them separately?

What the HELL. Make it make fucking sense.
The team that works on these things has only worked on mobile and Steam. That's it, that's the reason.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
1080p trailer screengrabs of all the transition segments showing the games off
ITgofHm.jpeg

qnccgXg.jpeg

zNYyYKg.jpeg

cCP4Leq.jpeg

LoG2GUL.jpeg

eFhFJi4.jpeg

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I really hope these games have the extra content from the various re-releases. That would be a huge missed opportunity otherwise.
It really shouldn't be too much of a problem for most of them. 1 and 2's were both optional post game content, so you can preserve the original experience and still have them around. 5 and 6 have some stuff you can encounter earlier on, but they're still optional.

The only real complication is what to do about "extra" content for 3 and 4. The later has two distinct updated versions they can pull from that had separate content that probably wouldn't mesh well together and the additional content for the former wouldn't work as immediately if you backported it without the changes that remake made.
I hope so.

I enjoyed I, II, IV, V and VI's extra content.
It's almost certainly not in. Final Fantasy I is back to spell charges and all the bonus content is balanced around MP (imagine going through Soul of Chaos or the Labyrinth of time with only 9 casts for each heal spell.)

Similarly the only the extra jobs for Final Fantasy V are not in the collection of Jobs they showed.

Chances are none of the previous bonus content is being ported.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I think they look great! But will they also include the additions, enhancements and features from the various rereleases?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
caught this info 'leak' about the platform/release dates back when the E3 trailer came out but it's from 4chan so grain of salt etc.
X5df4au.png

nothing too crazy, even that the first game releasing next month could've been a good guess, but if it is FF1 and the rest follow in this release schedule/order there might be some truth to it.

Having to wait for my favorite game as the last release would really fucking suck so please dont be true

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I feel the intent was something like this:
DhYAOR4XkAE8gLg.jpg

yoeyN.jpg

Considering how much they changed it they might as well have changed the canyon itself to a more fitting type of stone and made the scene more snowy to match the actual town.

Actually, here's concept art of Narshe:
ZyhCuMw.png

Interestingly they put smaller brown-roofed houses in the cliffs that look different from the main town and match the ones you see in the intro more. They should have just converted this to pixel art or something.

Ah I gotcha. The issue is that they aren't spread out on cliffs and ridges and are all dumped at the bottom of the canyon.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I am quite pleased with the results, so this is going to be an easy purchase for me if the price isn't insane.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
They look really good so far, excited for the release of V.
But what's up with Firion's battle sprite? Something is not right with his face.

SpoonyGundam

Nov 18, 2018
The FF1 footage already showed Garland's PS1/GBA sprite, so you're probably out of luck there.
Argh this is a disappointment :/
Garland's NES sprite isn't drastically different from the later ones like the Emperor's is. And even with Garland, they changed the palette of the remaster sprite to match the NES one.

I could see them giving the Emperor a new one, especially because AFAIK all his appearances post-GBA have called back to the NES sprite (PSP, Dissidia, Theatrhythm, various mobile games).