Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Yo, what do the sprint shoes do in this version exactly? I see the game has a sprint option already.

Apr 19, 2018
Is it a bug where if a character in FF6 is in 'Invisible' status with a status ailment or buff (like Haste, Protect, Slow, etc) that the outlined silhouette of your character will simply blink in and out of existence during battles?

Whereas in the original, it would show the character at all times with the proper color-coded ailment/buff glowing around their outline.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
There's a mod to make the sprites look good at 4k?
They probably look the same. Though I also don't care for the new look of the sprites. They are too bright and the colors used to shade and render the form are too light and use a lot of colors too similar in tone. OG FF sprites, IMO, have very heavy anime-shading. Y'know, if you have skin tone, you use colors that have some contrast to each other, usually two-tone coloring (dark tone=shading, medium tone=lit portion) or three tone coloring (dark tone=shading, medium tone=somewhat lit portion, light tone=highlights).
565b8783637f47eb8faff9a2a9f4d32b.jpg
acbf7ed6477dde0874c8323cd9c96ff6.png

G9Xt3VndVwJBFDvfZpchRsSJaOT0F1vyNn5ecCEylJA.png
dyofb6rdo4571.png

The Pixel Remaster sprites are trying to emulate the shading of the earlier mobile sprites, very soft gradient
rendering:
E33PYE6WEAUfucL.jpg

Those look terrible. That being said I think the port of FF IV on PSP looks FAR better than the pixel remake.
It's not a popular opinion, but I also prefer the PSP sprites. Not only are they bigger (allows more detail on the sprites), they're detailing consists of more contrasting shades of color.
8r0404m4cd671.png

Add on to that that one idea to have the sprites more animated (instead of standing still, they are in an animated stance, like Treasure of the RUdras, or, every FF game since VII), and that can be something I can get behind.

Last edited:

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I may be in the minority, but I don't like how the PSP sprites look at all. I wouldn't have been nearly as excited about FFVI PR if the sprites weren't in a similar style to the original and everyone looked like the PSP games.

FFBE sprites are on a whole different level though, but not even sure I would want them either, and I've been playing that game since launch in 2016.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I don't hate the PSP sprites but I did like how the field zones looked. Although I must say the pixel remasters look just as nice in a different way.

It's the lack of GBA content that is still a kick in the nuts. Here's hoping they add it in for console releases.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought FFVI PR on my phone and it confirmed what I thought. On the phone things look a million times better due to the smaller size of the window. I guess I'll have to see what resolution window I'll have to run it on my pc cause full screen at 4k is just ugly.

I also booted up an snes emulator and can confirm I think FF VI with scan lines at 4k resolution looks tons better than the PR at 4k.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
All this latent love for the PSP FFIV artwork pretty much runs counter to how things were like when that game was first revealed, back at the old place. Lots of "looks like a mobile game" and "flash shit" being tossed around back then. I'm glad things have turned around but I can't help feeling like its at the expense of the Pixel Remasters.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
All this latent love for the PSP FFIV artwork pretty much runs counter to how things were like when that game was first revealed, back at the old place. Lots of "looks like a mobile game" and "flash shit" being tossed around back then. I'm glad things have turned around but I can't help feeling like its at the expense of the Pixel Remasters.
The vast majority of people are positive about the Pixel Remasters so don't worry about that. In my circles FFIV PSP was always positively received so I wonder if that's a neogaf thing. I mean even this current place is frustratingly negative about every little thing.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

That's just gaming for you. There used to be a time when I would read about how mobile games weren't "real games". I remember the days when AAA was defined by 90+ meta scores.

Negativity is just par for the course, but it's also a niche community and majority rarely ever agree. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

These Pixel Remasters as far as I've seen have been very positive overall. FFVI is one of my all time favorite titles and I absolutely LOVE how the remaster looks and sounds.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I've always been consistent about my love of the PSP FF art. Hell, you can probably find posts of mine from the initial pixel remaster reveal thread bitching about S-E not using them again, lol.

(The art for the Pixel Remasters grew on me, even if I still do prefer the PSP art for the relevant games)

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen that sorta "PSP FFs' sprites look like flash shit" on ERA too. I remember past threads where you'd have a few people saying they would love more remakes in the style of the PSP ones, people immediately replying how ugly the PSP sprites looked, and how they looked like some mobile game shit".

The vast majority of people are positive about the Pixel Remasters so don't worry about that. In my circles FFIV PSP was always positively received so I wonder if that's a neogaf thing. I mean even this current place is frustratingly negative about every little thing.
It was here too. From people I actually know, they loved the PSP FFs (FFI, II, and IV) and thought they all looked great. To me, I like that they are bigger, because as an artist, the bigger the sprite, the more detail you can work in. The way the originals looked the way they did because you only had so many pixels to work with because of the size. Bigger size, more detail though pixel work. Access to more color/wider pallete doesn't automatically mean "better looking" if you are still limited by the size and amount of pixels you are using.

I've always been consistent about my love of the PSP FF art. Hell, you can probably find posts of mine from the initial pixel remaster reveal thread bitching about S-E not using them again, lol.

(The art for the Pixel Remasters grew on me, even if I still do prefer the PSP art for the relevant games)
For me, the Pixel Remaster sprites for FFI-III are fine. FFIV-FFV is serviceable. FFVI... I've pretty much come to terms that I will NEVER think the PR FFVI sprites look better than the originals. I just prefer the use of harder contrasting colors for shading and highlights.

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For those that don't like the English voice for the Opera scene, this mod allows you to replace the voice to any language you want for the English version.

www.nexusmods.com

Opera English to other languages

Replace the opera voices in english for any other languages. Credit to Garnet divine for the italian file.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought FFVI PR on my phone and it confirmed what I thought. On the phone things look a million times better due to the smaller size of the window. I guess I'll have to see what resolution window I'll have to run it on my pc cause full screen at 4k is just ugly.

I also booted up an snes emulator and can confirm I think FF VI with scan lines at 4k resolution looks tons better than the PR at 4k.
The art in VI in particular really relies on optical tricks, in particular CRT blending and a smaller size to really make pixel structure appear 3 dimensional. It really breaks down at large sizes without any filtering.

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
Well I just encountered a fun bug.

Got to the world of ruin, took the raft and entered Albrook. Stayed at the inn then returned to the world map and I was back in the world of balance with just Celes. Went back into Albrook and it was the WoB version of the town and it looks like I'm stuck there. Lucky I had a quick save on the island or I would've been SoL.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time seeing those IV PSP sprites and I think they look terrible lol. Like barely a step above the old V/VI mobile sprites

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
The art in VI in particular really relies on optical tricks, in particular CRT blending and a smaller size to really make pixel structure appear 3 dimensional. It really breaks down at large sizes without any filtering.

Let's hope for mods that bring back those optical tricks

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope for mods that bring back those optical tricks
Reshade filters can already do that. I haven't found a setting I like though. Too many options, by the time I mess with all of them and find something I really like, I could probably have the game finished already.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
How does the exp work in this game again? Do your inactive party members gain EXP and AP as well?
Edit: FF VI

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
There used to be a time when I would read about how mobile games weren't "real games". I remember the days when AAA was defined by 90+ meta scores.

Used to be a time? Lmao Remembering the days? 🤣 Crap's still alive and well!

Well I just encountered a fun bug.

Got to the world of ruin, took the raft and entered Albrook. Stayed at the inn then returned to the world map and I was back in the world of balance with just Celes. Went back into Albrook and it was the WoB version of the town and it looks like I'm stuck there. Lucky I had a quick save on the island or I would've been SoL.

That's a crazy ass bug! Woa!

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized I had an achievement pop up for reuniting with 5 allies, but it happened after getting my 6th. Does Gau just not count lol

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Floating continent is brutal, lol. Threw up some Vanish magic on my whole team to avoid getting one-shotted by Behemoths and that damn giant.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Do the Tonberries (Monster in a box) in Yeti Cave drop Minerva Bustier? I don't see 'Tonberries' in the Bestiary so I don't know if they have a loot table in this version. Has anyone gotten a Minerva Bustier off them?

Edit: literally right after I posted this
o39ivHG.png

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I will always and forever hate searching for Deathgaze lol. Literally twice in a row now where I wasted 20+ minutes looking for him when I could have just gone the opposite direction from my starting point and found him almost instantly

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've always loved the way the PSP FFs looked. From 2007 to today, I've never understood the "flash game" complaints. Like, they're updated 16-bit-style sprites. What else are they going to look like?

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
Do the Tonberries (Monster in a box) in Yeti Cave drop Minerva Bustier? I don't see 'Tonberries' in the Bestiary so I don't know if they have a loot table in this version. Has anyone gotten a Minerva Bustier off them?

Edit: literally right after I posted this
o39ivHG.png

Wait is that supposed to be a guaranteed drop from that monster-in-a-box? I didn't get anything from that encounter and I was kinda peeved about it because they wiped me the first time when I was unprepared.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'm just unbelievably happy we got these amazing versions of FF1-6. I thought we'd get the 3D mobile ports of 3-4 and the crappy mobile versions of 5-6.

Instead we got these beautiful versions with care, craft, and retro charm.

Spliced-Up

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just unbelievably happy we got these amazing versions of FF1-6. I thought we'd get the 3D mobile ports of 3-4 and the crappy mobile versions of 5-6.

Instead we got these beautiful versions with care, craft, and retro charm.

Yea it's been wonderful reliving these classics with the fresh graphics and OSTs. FF6 is by far the game I have the most nostalgia for from my childhood. I remember I convinced my dad to let me put an ad in the classifieds that I wanted to buy it because it was impossible to find in stores and I lucked out finding someone in our small town that had a copy. I would beat the game and immediately start a new file countless times with different self imposed challenges, culminating in beating the game only recruiting Celes, Edger, and Setzer in the WoR. I just love the atmosphere and openness of the WoR so much still.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yea it's been wonderful reliving these classics with the fresh graphics and OSTs. FF6 is by far the game I have the most nostalgia for from my childhood. I remember I convinced my dad to let me put an ad in the classifieds that I wanted to buy it because it was impossible to find in stores and I lucked out finding someone in our small town that had a copy. I would beat the game and immediately start a new file countless times with different self imposed challenges, culminating in beating the game only recruiting Celes, Edger, and Setzer in the WoR. I just love the atmosphere and openness of the WoR so much still.
I'm at a sad point in my life that I've played these games so much (because I play every version to completion) that I don't have nostalgia for these games. FF6 to me evokes memories of the PS1, GBA, Mobile and Steam versions all at the same time. FF4 is almost dead to me at this point, I've played it too much. I still love the games because they're great, but I wish I had the nostalgia.

Jan 11, 2018
I want Polygon Remasters of VII-IX next please

That would also be welcome, but I doubt we'll get that. We're probably looking at another decade of VII Remake content, and perhaps the IX remake that was mentioned in the big Nvidia leak. Although something tells me that will be a monkey's paw situation to a lot of fans. There was a French animated show in the works, right? It would not surprise me if the remake has been outsourced and made to match that aesthetically, and there's a chance that means it's gonna look "too European" for some people. And unless they hire Wazzy I doubt they'll show VIII any more love :/

But imagine. Fantasian style backgrounds! Would fit these games like a glove.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice to have 2D remakes of 7-10 :D
This is something I can get behind. I'd also go further into pushing it to FFXV (or, gasp, FFXVI, even though it's not even out). Basically, remake the more action-based FF into a turn-based/ATB games like FFi-X, and FFXI and FFXIV would be streamlined into single-player experiences where the adventure is comprised of all the expansions made into one quest (FFXIV DeMake would basically be pre-ARR-Endwalker).

I also wouldn't be against a Pixel Remaster/remake of Final Fantasy Legends/Final Fantasy Dimensions 1, that streamlines it (gets rid of the segmented chapters to make the experience flow more naturally).

I want Polygon Remasters of VII-IX next please
How so? If it's fully remaking FFIX with background details similar to the Moguri Mod (every background, every character/monster/item model), and remaking FFVII and FFVIII similarly but also different, such as retouching the backgrounds in FFVIII, remaking the pre-rendered backgrounds in FFVII so they are up to par with FFVIII and FFIX, remaking character/monster/item models up to par with FFIX's, and so on...