FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
To each their own, but I don't agree that having a text box and character portrait taking up 2/3 of the screen is better.

It's okay in VNs with static backgrounds. But in the above example you can't even see half the scene. All so that they can show you the same character portrait you'll probably see time and time again throughout the course of the game.

The difficulty of releasing a 2D sprite game on mobile and Steam is the varying sizes of the screens players will use. They optimized these games for mobile, not Steam. That's why the mobile versions are so clean and the Steam ones are buggy with most complaining about the fonts.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't I reenter the Tower of Babel? I could when I just got the Red Airship, but no longer can after I got Lucca's Necklace. I haven't completed the sealed cave.

I wanted to go steal some sirens. =\

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You're missing the point, which is that the little blob that says the character name could look more organic to the UI and not like something done in MS Paint. Of course, the UI in the Pixel Remasters is a bit meh to begin with.
Oh yeah, that's true. The colored borders around character names do stick out a lot. Like Neoweee said, it does help to quickly identify who's talking, but they definitely could have done it better.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
FFIV was a complete walkover with the changes with experience. No grinding other than just not running from any random encounter. Though it also may because I've played the game far more times than I care to mention.

Music was wonderful. I did a look for it on YouTube last night, and the guy who uploaded it did some, creative, ways to get around it being flagged by SE.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The difficulty of releasing a 2D sprite game on mobile and Steam is the varying sizes of the screens players will use. They optimized these games for mobile, not Steam. That's why the mobile versions are so clean and the Steam ones are buggy with most complaining about the fonts.
I haven't played the mobile versions, but I was under the impression they have different UI from the Steam version that's optimized for mobile?

Jan 11, 2018
Oh yeah, that's true. The colored borders around character names do stick out a lot. Like Neoweee said, it does help to quickly identify who's talking, but they definitely could have done it better.

I wish they'd done it like this:

EToRcNP.jpg

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
Which version of the game would you all recommend to someone playing FFIV for the first time?

I own a pc and apple devices so platform isn't an issue for me. But should I go for the pixel remaster or the 3D remake?

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the mobile versions, but I was under the impression they have different UI from the Steam version that's optimized for mobile?

There's very slight element changes and layout but in terms of the size of the UI and font as a fraction of the overall screen, they are the same.

But it looks cheaply done. I kind of miss the character portraits from earlier ports and remakes.

Here's an example of it being done better:

1-RH12_001.png

If they are going to do portraits that large they need to have a variety of facial expressions, which the Historia remake did. It looks super awkward for them to have such a focus on the same unchanging facial expression the entire game.

The small portraits in the mobile ports of the GBA ports of the SNES originals for FF5 and FF6 were widely despised (I like them)

What they have not fixed is the fact that Cecil's level determines returning members' levels, meaning you can still go hog wild on Mt. Ordeals and break the game pretty easily. I'm sitting here with a level 44 Cecil and Yang before hitting Tower of Zot.

That's just the least-bad solution. Static join levels, or just keeping the old one + exp, are worse. These are RPGs, make the player actions matter. I hated how the Cold Steel games kept resetting the player levels whenever they briefly left the party and didn't tie it to Rean's. It felt like no progress from any point in the game mattered at all other than what you did in the final dungeon.

Last edited:

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Which version of the game would you all recommend to someone playing FFIV for the first time?

I own a pc and apple devices so platform isn't an issue for me. But should I go for the pixel remaster or the 3D remake?
I really like this Pixel Remaster version of FF4 a lot. I tried to play the 3D version on DS back in the day, but I found it really slow and boring at the time.

But if you have a strong preference for 3D polygons over sprites, they do have the 3D version on Steam as well.

Edit: Nice Missile avatar, btw!

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
You're missing the point, which is that the little blob that says the character name could look more organic to the UI and not like something done in MS Paint. Of course, the UI in the Pixel Remasters is a bit meh to begin with.
What does 'looks like it could have been done in MS Paint' even mean? Literally all the sprite work in the game looks like it could have been done in ms paint 😂

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
There's very slight element changes and layout but in terms of the size of the UI and font as a fraction of the overall screen, they are the same.

If they are going to do portraits that large they need to have a variety of facial expressions, which the Historia remake did. It looks super awkward for them to have such a focus on the same unchanging facial expression the entire game.

The small portraits in the mobile ports of the GBA ports of the SNES originals for FF5 and FF6 were widely despised (I like them)

That's just the least-bad solution. Static join levels, or just keeping the old one + exp, are worse. These are RPGs, make the player actions matter. I hated how the Cold Steel games kept resetting the player levels whenever they briefly left the party and didn't tie it to Rean's. It felt like no progress from any point in the game mattered at all other than what you did in the final dungeon.
I was responding to/calling silly, the patching of the respawn mob farming, I have no issue with the join levels, just mentioned it as power leveling Cecil is how I always approach Mt. ordeals otw out at least, I save most of my exp grind for the Cave of Summons but only after I've obtained a good screen clear for Rydia to spam/one shot encounters.

Oct 25, 2017
I was responding to/calling silly, the patching of the respawn mob farming, I have no issue with the join levels, just mentioned it as power leveling Cecil is how I always approach Mt. ordeals otw out at least, I save most of my exp grind for the Cave of Summons but only after I've obtained a good screen clear for Rydia to spam/one shot encounters.

Ah, sorry, I quoted the wrong post there.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
All I want for the text boxes is the text being printed letter-by-letter with a little bipipipipip sound.

Jan 11, 2018
What does 'looks like it could have been done in MS Paint' even mean? Literally all the sprite work in the game looks like it could have been done in ms paint 😂

I think you know what I meant, really. That is, it looks like it was made quickly in MS Paint by someone who isn't very good at this stuff. I thought it was a fairly common figure of speech, just like claiming something looks like it was written by a 10 year old?

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I think you know what I meant, really. That is, it looks like it was made quickly in MS Paint by someone who isn't very good at this stuff. I thought it was a fairly common figure of speech, just like claiming something looks like it was written by a 10 year old?
Yeah but none of this explains the issue with it. "It looks cheap" "looks like it was made by someone who isn't very good at this stuff" "looks like it was made in MS Paint". It doesn't mean anything. What's actually wrong with it? Is it just that you don't like it or is there something objectively wrong with it?

Oct 25, 2017
Anyhow, I think this is the best looking version of FF4 by a lot.

All Summons:

www.youtube.com

FFIV Pixel Remaster - All Summons [4K]

Goblin summon is so OPFeel free to subscribe or hit the Like button to support this small channel ^.^#ffiv#summon#pixelremaster

Final Boss:
www.youtube.com

FFIV Pixel Remaster - Final Fight Zeromus [4K]

Big Bang hit so hard manSorry due to copyright claims i had to cut the ending and Zemus battle#ffiv#pixelremaster#zeromus

vs.

PSP summons
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection - Summon Exhibition

Video showcasing all Summon abilities in Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection.

PSP Final Boss:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Feels like the animations and overall turn flow, even at the default speed, are a ton smoother. Bahamut takes 3x as long on the PSP version.

Apr 19, 2018
It's a small thing, but I'm disappointed that the new ending didn't include an actual outro for its music arrangement of "Epilogue 2" -- the sequence that ends with the final shot with Kain -- like the SNES original, and instead opted for a fade-out.

SNES original at 13:16:

vs:

PR Remaster at 19:20:

----
Mind you, most every port/remake of FFIV didn't include an outro either, save for FF Collections/Anthology, but it's still a let down.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like as soon as you take off in the Red Airship, you can no longer go into the Tower of Babel. I believe in prior versions it was only when you finished the Sealed Cave, unless I'm mistaken. Possibly a bug?

In any case, make sure you get all the Tower of Babel treasures and steal all your Sirens before you launch in the airship.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like as soon as you take off in the Red Airship, you can no longer go into the Tower of Babel. I believe in prior versions it was only when you finished the Sealed Cave, unless I'm mistaken. Possibly a bug?

In any case, make sure you get all the Tower of Babel treasures and steal all your Sirens before you launch in the airship.
You're right that it was changed.
With that said, you can still steal sirens in the giant.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Anyhow, I think this is the best looking version of FF4 by a lot.

All Summons:

www.youtube.com

FFIV Pixel Remaster - All Summons [4K]

Goblin summon is so OPFeel free to subscribe or hit the Like button to support this small channel ^.^#ffiv#summon#pixelremaster

Final Boss:
www.youtube.com

FFIV Pixel Remaster - Final Fight Zeromus [4K]

Big Bang hit so hard manSorry due to copyright claims i had to cut the ending and Zemus battle#ffiv#pixelremaster#zeromus

vs.

PSP summons
www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection - Summon Exhibition

Video showcasing all Summon abilities in Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection.

PSP Final Boss:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Feels like the animations and overall turn flow, even at the default speed, are a ton smoother. Bahamut takes 3x as long on the PSP version.
My only slight quibble is the final bosses look small and less imposing for FF1, 2 and 4.

BUUUTTT I'm very excited to see how FF5s final boss looks as that's typically taken up a lot of the screen.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Gameplay-wise, I think the 3D version is better. The game is much more challenging and the character abilities are better balanced. There are also more options for character customization.

Aesthetically I prefer the 2D version, though that is probably more a matter of taste.

Oct 25, 2017
You're right that it was changed.
With that said, you can still steal sirens in the giant.

Stuff like that and the status ailment % in FF2 could plausibly just be oversights which are inevitable with these 100% recodes. The old FF games are in a much better spot than any other old RPG in likelihood of developers knowing super specific nuances and being able to catch them, but some things inevitably slip through the cracks unintentionally.

My only slight quibble is the final bosses look small and less imposing for FF1, 2 and 4.

BUUUTTT I'm very excited to see how FF5s final boss looks as that's typically taken up a lot of the screen.

Horizontal dead-space due to the different aspect ratio was one of the original complaints at reveal, and it still remains true. MOST battles have tons and tons of new assets all the way out to 21:9, but the dynamic background fights inherently look awkward and I don't think there's a solution other than doing a full redesign to be thicc. Like you said, FF5 is a big dumb tree monster that goes out horizontally to the edge, so are they just going to anchor it to the left further, or will they have to totally redraw him loooooong to work on 21:9?

Last edited:

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I don't get the sense that drop rates for rare items have changed all that much. Fought a ton of Ogres and Cait Siths and no Giant's Gloves or Cat Claws yet.

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah but none of this explains the issue with it. "It looks cheap" "looks like it was made by someone who isn't very good at this stuff" "looks like it was made in MS Paint". It doesn't mean anything. What's actually wrong with it? Is it just that you don't like it or is there something objectively wrong with it?

No, I just don't like the way it looks. The UI in general looks very off to me. It clashes too much with the retro pixel art. Not just the font. Probably my biggest gripe with these remasters aside from bugs that are more easily (and likely to be) fixed. The pixel stuff and the music is chef's kiss.

I kind of miss the days when Square would add options to customise the text boxes in their games.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
I was grinding trying to get the Goblins to drop the summon for 3 hours yesterday, didn't get a single drop. Will try again outside of Mt. Hobbs like a guide suggested. Is there a full list of missables in FF4 pixel remaster?

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Stuff like that and the status ailment % in FF2 could plausibly just be oversights which are inevitable with these 100% recodes. The old FF games are in a much better spot than any other old RPG in likelihood of developers knowing super specific nuances and being able to catch them, but some things inevitably slip through the cracks unintentionally.

Horizontal dead-space due to the different aspect ratio was one of the original complaints at reveal, and it still remains true. MOST battles have tons and tons of new assets all the way out to 21:9, but the dynamic background fights inherently look awkward and I don't think there's a solution other than doing a full redesign to be thicc. Like you said, FF5 is a big dumb tree monster that goes out horizontally to the edge, so are they just going to anchor it to the left further, or will they have to totally redraw him loooooong to work on 21:9?
I suppose a counter to that criticism is that you don't actually have to play in widescreen. I played a bit on my Surface which is 4:3 and that changes things significantly.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm missing 2 items in the Land of Summons. Got all chests, but no idea where those two items are. Anyone know?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
No, I just don't like the way it looks. The UI in general looks very off to me. It clashes too much with the retro pixel art. Not just the font. Probably my biggest gripe with these remasters aside from bugs that are more easily (and likely to be) fixed. The pixel stuff and the music is chef's kiss.

I kind of miss the days when Square would add options to customise the text boxes in their games.

The UI on the whole really does feel at odds with the rest of the game, both because of a lack of consistency with resolution, but also just parts of it that look incongruent within itself. Like the character name boxes for example. No issue in principle, but they all use colors that aren't seen anywhere else in the UI, have borders that don't look like anything anywhere else in the UI, and use line thicknesses and curvatures not seen anywhere else in the UI. That's the big problem with it.

I'd recommend checking out the graphical overhaul mod. It makes the UI look coherent -- especially the ATB bars and the like. I think it works quite well with the DS/GBA font, like something you'd see on a beefed up GBA, though I think this depends on how near you are to your screen as I can see it losing some readability further out.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like a couple of the houses have chests in them. Also the hidden tile that leads into the basement has a few chests, but if you're only missing two, you've probably gotten those already.
Yeah it's not any chests. I have 11/11 chests, but 0/2 items on the map. Checked all the bookshelves, talked to everyone. Not sure what's up.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Ok awesome, yeah I was mucking around with CRT-royale before but will dabble some more.
I am playing via steam link on my phone so found dropping the settings to be more subtle helped it a lot on the smaller screen for me. So nice to be able to tweak the games to how you like it even if it requires mods etc.

One more question is that the Snes UI overhaul mod? I've got the VI inspired UI mod which looks nice.
Yeah, it's the snes ui mod.
A fellow era member shared it in this thread.

Holmes

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was grinding trying to get the Goblins to drop the summon for 3 hours yesterday, didn't get a single drop. Will try again outside of Mt. Hobbs like a guide suggested. Is there a full list of missables in FF4 pixel remaster?
Make sure to kill the General in Kaipo and the Captain in Fabul first or they'll flee. Tower of Zot, Tower of Babil and Giant of Babil are one time only dungeons so make sure you have all bestiary entries and chests before finishing them. Calcabrina and Barnabas-Z are bosses that have missable bestiary entries. Get Sylph before going to the moon. I think that might be it with regards to achievements.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a small thing, but I'm disappointed that the new ending didn't include an actual outro for its music arrangement of "Epilogue 2" -- the sequence that ends with the final shot with Kain -- like the SNES original, and instead opted for a fade-out.

SNES original at 13:16:

vs:

PR Remaster at 19:20:

----
Mind you, most every port/remake of FFIV didn't include an outro either, save for FF Collections/Anthology, but it's still a let down.

That doesn't bode well for Dancing Mad. The GBA and the first Steam/Mobile versions lack the transitions between the music phases. Hard to implement in streaming audio, and apparently not supported in the GBA music sequence format.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The UI on the whole really does feel at odds with the rest of the game, both because of a lack of consistency with resolution, but also just parts of it that look incongruent within itself. Like the character name boxes for example. No issue in principle, but they all use colors that aren't seen anywhere else in the UI, have borders that don't look like anything anywhere else in the UI, and use line thicknesses and curvatures not seen anywhere else in the UI. That's the big problem with it.

I'd recommend checking out the graphical overhaul mod. It makes the UI look coherent -- especially the ATB bars and the like. I think it works quite well with the DS/GBA font, like something you'd see on a beefed up GBA, though I think this depends on how near you are to your screen as I can see it losing some readability further out.

unknown.png
unknown.png
unknown.png
Ooh, that UI looks nice. Might give it a try later.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Missed Medusa in Tower of Babel. Gotta replay the whole game for that one. :(

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Missed Medusa in Tower of Babel. Gotta replay the whole game for that one. :(

There's still a place you can fight Medusa.
Underground and far to the west, there's an island* against the wall with a few tiles. Land there and get into fights.

From a Pixel Remaster stream I did last night:

(Skip to 1:28:20)

Last edited:

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Oops, I meant to type decreased. It is a change towards the easier, and it seems like it is a bit more significant than the change to encounters due to diagonal movement. But I haven't seen a full list of comparisons for it.
It's absolutely much smaller. My lvl 50 Cecil is only around 414k xp total, but you used to need just under 800k total to hit that level back in the FF Complete Collection. Don't know the values for the original, but I suspect they are close.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
So I just got that same bug to happen with the sorcerer. It's just a bug with the killing animation. The blow I landed on it should have killed it. It just didn't vanish, and the battle ended after I killed its summoned creature.

Another thing to report if you're into that sort of thing.