• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

‘Final Fantasy’ producer says 5G will end games console’s long reign

Square Enix’s Naoki Yoshida predicts that mobile standard will enable quality image delivery to any device
...improved streaming speeds and a long-term shift away from the television as the primary medium for gaming could change that. "Once 5G becomes the global standard, there will definitely come a time when we can transfer images to any device," Yoshida told the Financial Times in an online interview...
I can't see this happening commercially right now with the cost of data plans as they are.

Plus I don't have an appetite to play a future GTA game on an iPhone...

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
May as well say Google Stadia is going to own all the console makers too

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Yeah I think streaming will take over from designated consoles in the long term, and maybe PC will end up as the de facto platform for people who want to see the absolute best quality locally.

But I think we're a long way off that. It's not just 5G. The biggest market in the world has backward ass infrastructure and data caps. Till that's resolved then streaming is dead in the water.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Moreso just saying cloud will kill console. Depends how much people hate latency at the end of the day.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Once 5G becomes the global standard
maxresdefault.jpg

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
5G is gonna popular in 3 years or so, so I totally expect Metroid 4 to be on my mobile, right?

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Streaming gaming is never going to be the standard in the near future, not seeing this happen

Akusar

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having all your devices connected to your expensive mobile data plan instead of your cable plan.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Video games are gradually becoming more platform-agnostic and it's accelerated even further by game streaming technology that's starting more mature. So I can see why he thinks like that.

The problem is the adoption rate of streaming services since many regions still have poor internet infrastructure.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is 5G really that low latency or is it once again best case scenario which will not be realistic to 90% of users?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I was like "How? Due to streaming" and he does have a point. Once it gets cheaper to get full nextgen console experiences on your phone or cheap laptop consoles will slowly lose marketshare like they did in Japan where mobile games dominate. Could take a decade or more tho.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Poor internet infrastructure and general instability is probably gonna be the reason this doesn't happen. I can't see it happening until it can be guaranteed that connections will always be stable and fast 100% of the time. Get past that hurdle and it would definitely happen though.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably need a bit more context if it isn't along the lines of 'once streaming gets big we'll be able to sell the product to multiple streaming services like they do in movies, TV shows or anime'.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Since 4G is not standard in my country yet I won't hold my breathe. 5G has little coverage outside the main cities. Then there are the lunatics damaging the towers and generally slowing progress.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Streaming boxes with exclusive platforms or whatever are eventually going to take over, but that's ways away and I think it's still the same as a console.

As for phones, depends on the country. In the west, I think F2P has already made people too averse to buying expensive games on mobile. So, I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♂️
5G is gonna popular in 3 years or so, so I totally expect Metroid 4 to be on my mobile, right?
That's already on GBA 🤔

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think I've ever had a stable mobile connection in my life.

Constantly hopping between 5G and 4G with downtime, as well as losing connection entirely.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Everyone we've paid for 5G now, so we don't have to pretend it does all of these magical things other than make network congestion better in crowded areas but that wasn't sexy enough to justify several billion in upgrade costs.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The vaccines put the chip in
the chip uses 5G
the 5G streams Final Fantasy 14 directly into our brains
every single person on earth subscribes automatically to FF14

Finally
WoW
is slain

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will no longer have wired internet and will just use 5G. Who needs extremely fast internet when you can just get fast internet

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Games being limited to one TV box certainly is a dying thing. It's about flexibility nowadays, being able to play your games wherever, whenever you want. Why do people think the Switch is so successful? It's not just due to the software, but thanks to the hardware appeal as well. Steam, PS, and Xbox all offer avenues of playing your games on other devices already, even if still bound via Wi-Fi to your PC, PS, or Xbox. Stuff like SteamLink and Remote Play show where the future of gaming is headed, and it's definitely not being tied to the TV all the time. The way of consumption is gradually shifting. And it's not about necessarily taking away a certain style of gaming (e.g. on the TV), but about adding new ways, so even more people are willing and able to engage with the medium. Which should be to the liking of every gamer, wanting to see the hobby thrive even more.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
What "reign" are they talking about? Hasn't mobile gaming overtook console as being the main gaming platform for majority of people for quite a while now anyway? The article being behind paywall and only things we can comment on is from a (presumably) hyperbolic headline and a few lines of interview so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
I read the article on FT.com. He doesn't say that, or at least is not quoted saying anything even remotely close to the headline.

OP
OP
Humidex

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
What "reign" are they talking about? Hasn't mobile gaming overtook console as being the main gaming platform for majority of people for quite a while now anyway? The article being behind paywall and only things we can comment on is from a (presumably) hyperbolic headline and a few lines of interview so I'm not sure what to make of it.
He went on to say we're going to the direction that people can enjoy a high-quality gaming experience on any device by not being tied to gaming hardware or a TV monitor. Can't agree with that, even with the shift away from the TV as the primary gaming medium.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I don't understand the obsession with being able to game anywhere when it means squinting at a tiny screen unless that's you're only way of gaming at all.

Plissken

Oct 20, 2020
Wasn't there someone to say the same about 4G? Then they realized that once everyone has it, it's really not so fast anymore

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
He went on to say we're going to the direction that people can enjoy a high-quality gaming experience on any device by not being tied to gaming hardware or a TV monitor. Can't agree with that, even with the shift away from the TV as the primary gaming medium.
Isn't that statement already true with the current state of game streaming and mobile gaming in general? It's undeniable that we're shifting away from TV as primary gaming medium if you look at gaming as a whole, not just enthusiast community.

With that kind of headline I thought he said something like streaming will replace all console/PC gaming or something but it seems like he only think that you will be able to play high quality game anywhere, not just in front of your TV and more people will do that once it's good enough, which seems to be the natural course of things.

Again, this is just going off of what you provided.