• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Thanks for detailed reply and with some math and numbers thrown in to. That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. When I get home later I will have to reread this and fully digest it. Thank you!

Anybody else have agreeing or dissenting thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with that. My setup 99% of the time is imperil/useful elemental, dampener and two evrae. One evrae has magic the other has fact act I believe. I have enough evraes on hand for a few more iterations.

So basically I get + 22.5/17.5 elemental, 15 dampener, 22.5+mag or atk and a few other odds and ends.

It's ff, people way over complicate things.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Tonight is DU 47. Soon we won't be getting a full 2 stamina every DU any more, but I don't think that's until 48 or 49, I would have to google to make sure. But wanted to make mention for those who haven't heard so that you can start saving your gyshals for those 100,000 Stam shards. Edit: I googled it and 8 Stamina Shards per update instead of the 10 shards we currently get begins with DU #49.

Here is the link to tonight's Half-price ALWAYS LUCKY banner. I skipped my first half price always lucky last month, and I'm going to try to stay strong and do the same here also.

FFIV - 80 Relics (Have 20)
FF13 - 62 Relics (Have 17)
FFT - 65 Relics (Have 16)

So I'm 53/207 - that doesn't sound like good odds. I'm good in Tactics. I'm weak in 13. However, the torments for 13 and 4 are not coming until 4 torments from now, or about October. I think I'll be able to pass on this. Would love to have that Ramza chain though. Hardest fight tonight is a d220 vs. Elmdore and the two female ninjas.

Last edited:

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Depends on how you play I guess.

If you have Elarra's USB, who will certainly keep everyone topped off at max health due to Regenga, I'd say it's worth it.

If your more of a a Last Stand (ab)user like myself, then having a deck with Hand of Vengence will certainly come in handy.

But at the end of the day, I'm lazy and all I do is stack Crit Damage+ for Melee and Fast Cast for Magic.

Xetherion

Oct 30, 2017
I think i won't do this Lucky Draw. My IV and Tactics teams are strong. XIII could use some upgrades, but meh.

tsakiki

Oct 27, 2017
2/11 on the LD - Cecil Paladin LMR (nice +holy armor at least) and a dupe of Ceodore's SSB armor

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Squeaked out a wall win at the last second.

Ended up using a revised water physical team after my fast cast magic bsb team failed to have enough dps. The secret was an imperial, it not only helped damage but also sp gain.

Used

Tidus
Waka
Yuffie
Elarra
Ramza

Tidus and yuffie were the only dps while wakka and ramza wrath and entrust when not keeping imperial and shout up.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am done with these du luck draws.

1/11 dupe Ursula LMR

I've been running on a terrible pull streak since the fest. Maybe I just need to start saving everything for the next fest and hope my luck returns by then.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Pharaun,
Off topic, but thought of you.
dqxi-dqviii-1.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/08/dragon-quest-xis-hero-can-cosplay-as-dragon-quest-viiis-hero/

Edit: Final Fantasy 12 Torment Tonight Folks! Wooo~
Edit2: Glancing over the fight script, looks like dispel and dark resist are musts. Bonus points for Larsa to avoid sap but not semi-required like is for Hades. Here is the link, handy for those who planned to google it. https://www.reddit.com/comments/7xou5m

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This realm is such a mess, at least for me

I've posted this but
Usbs for vaan Balthier and penelo
Osb bsb combos for gabranth and vayne
Bsbs for larsa ashe and Fran
Smattering of lmrs, full dives etc

And getting 50% dwhale ain't happening I think.

Tiddy

Oct 25, 2017
I have the EnLightning LMR + AOSB for Ashe so that will be huge damage with the chain. Also have Bash USB and Gabranth USB and the obligatory Larsa BSB. So I should be good for the first two difficulties.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have virtually nothing for 12, I hope I can at least beat the 280 and get some motes.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
I plan to be able to do Sub 30 on the d280. I'm really unsure on 50% with dWhale. I don't think it's a go. I'm not weak in this realm, but I am not as strong in this realm as I was the Tactics Torment:

Vaan USB, OSB, BSB
Balthier USB, OSB, BSB, BSB2
Penelo USB, BSB
Larsa BSB
Basch BSB, Vayne BSB

Not real sure the plan here. Need to use Vaan and Balthier. I feel like Penelo USB could be vital, but how can I not use Larsa BSB? I'm even considering running both healers in the dWhale. But the problem for me in this realm isn't healing, it's damage. Vaan can only do so much, and I'm not sure what I can get out of Balthier. The banners that come Thursday and Sunday don't look like huge difference makers at first glance. I may do a pull on Banner 1. Banner 2 is dupe city, including the (old) Ultras.

Torment Bait Banners I Should Have Posted Above

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Pharaun,
Off topic, but thought of you.
dqxi-dqviii-1.jpg

Lol, yeah I'm hyped for DQXI. I'm disappointed that the 3ds version isn't getting localized because I would have double dipped for sure and then triple dipped when/if the switch version ever arrives.

On topic I'm not looking forward to the torment, my XII stuff is such a mishmash that cobbling a decent party together is going to be ugly.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Balthier is his dualcast LMR away from being a top-tier (as far as XII goes lmao) imperil-bot + DPS with just the imperil BSB and a dive.

Vaan could Soul Burn with his USB up and do decent damage then switch into Ripping Blast at high chain count, but is severely limited by hones.

The problem with XII are that the dives are generally lacklustre (Ashe excluded) and in an environment where motes (DEX, lol) are severely limited, it's incredibly hard to justify going hard for so little relative return, especially when outside of the context of a XII Torment, i.e. the majority of endgame content, there are far better people to dive.

Higher damage output from Zodiark + no real options for hastega/MAG/ATK buffs means ability loadouts are a lot more limited

edit: Basch USB which conveniently drops today has the aforementioned but lol @ diving Basch if you luck into it.

This is the worst Torment by a mile for foreseeable future which is a pity because I really like XII.

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
FFXII Torment isn't going to be pretty, I pretty much need to do a pull. I've got Vaan's OSB/BSB and a bunch of other BSB/SSB for this realm and that's about it. In dire need of a USB (preferbly Ashe or DPS related).

Team comp is somthing like this.

Ashe BSB/LMR LM/LMR
Larsa BSB
Vaan OSB/BSB
Vayne BSB
Gabranth BSB

Lol...i'm in for a bad time. At least Ashe is self sustaining....but that BSB is real old tech now...

edit: also did a DU pull last night, got:
Palom USB (dupe)
Yang BSB
Fang SSB (dupe)
Noel LMR

Kind of mediocre due to dupes, but secretly wanted some healz for FFT.

edit 2:

Still haven't cashed in any rubies for new abilities...but don't really see a need at this point anyways. Anyone else in the same boat?

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
FFXII Torment isn't going to be pretty, I pretty much need to do a pull. I've got Vaan's OSB/BSB and a bunch of other BSB/SSB for this realm and that's about it. In dire need of a USB (preferbly Ashe or DPS related).

Team comp is somthing like this.

Ashe BSB/LMR LM/LMR
Larsa BSB
Vaan OSB/BSB
Vayne BSB
Gabranth BSB

Lol...i'm in for a bad time. At least Ashe is self sustaining....but that BSB is real old tech now...

edit: also did a DU pull last night, got:
Palom USB (dupe)
Yang BSB
Fang SSB (dupe)
Noel LMR

Kind of mediocre due to dupes, but secretly wanted some healz for FFT.

edit 2:

Still haven't cashed in any rubies for new abilities...but don't really see a need at this point anyways. Anyone else in the same boat?

Ya, I was waiting for these BLM spells and had originally planned to create them immediately. But now I figure I will wait until I see it making a difference on something. No, I'm not unsure that these new Chaingas and Vortex will be first to be made, it's just why make them until I think they will be the difference in a sub 30 d280, a 50%+ dWhale, or a 5* Magicite.

Man Called Aerodynamics, I did a quick google search, and there is a 3 post reddit thread where someone is talking about the new abilities at the same time talking about Zodiark so leads me to believe you're correct, but I'll take the same disclaimer that Tiddy used.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Ok here goes. Going with Reks BSB for haste and Atk/Def. Falk, going to go fire like you suggested and build fire deck. I hadn't considered Soul Burn since Thief's Revenge is usually a no brainer. Going to start off with two healers and see how goes.

Edit: d240 was like 26 seconds. d280 was 50 seconds. I had him af 38 seconds but then an incubus darkja wrecked things leading me to limp across finish line. Glad got it first tries, but very sloppy. Don't need two healers yet, unsure about dWhale. Sucks not having a last stand, Penelo has a BSB (think new?) tomorrow night with last stand.

Going to fine tune and see about a sub 30. dWhale attempt sometime tomorrow or later this week.

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
d240 done sub 30 with just Ashe standing as DPS.

I should be able to sub d280 if Vayne could stay alive for more than 3 turns. I have his remove delay SSB which is pretty handy and he's doing solid damage with his casts of Meltdown after one memento mori on chain....bumped up his survivability with 3/4* motes but he needs to be a bit more tacky....

The lack of boostga for this realm is kind of slowing me down, but I think sub30 is within reach.

Also, does Summon magic bypass the paling? the description doesn't mention summoning specifically (only black/ninja)...

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Got 42 on d280. That's it for tonight. I tried once sub OK instead of Reks and my hits couldn't break 2k. It seems like the penalty was much more severe this time. Maybe I did something stupid like hit dWhale instead of d280.

It may take a day of work but I should figure out a sub 30. I don't think I will try dWhale.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
D240: Sub-30 in 22.XX seconds with Vaan (OSB), Ashe (Glint/BSSB), OK (LMR/BSSB), Larsa (BSSB), LD Vayne (LMR/OSB).

D280: First team got destroyed by back to back Incubus Darkjas at 99%. Forgot you could get rewards for % completion on the lower difficulties as well. Tried again, could only get to 89%. Tried again with LD TGC (LMR/OSB), Ashe, Penelo (BSSB1), Larsa and Vayne and managed to master, but it took 47.55 seconds.

I then Swapped out TGC for Basch (no SB), managed to sub-40 the D280 (39.60, super close). I think that's it for now. I did manage a run where I skipped the magic paling, but unfortunately, Zodiark's turn order went Incubus Darkja (Phase 3) -> Faith -> (Phase 4) -> Incubus Darkja (Phase 5) than wiped me out. I also had nothing left offensively in the tank at that point except Ashe BSSB was online, and it was already past 30 seconds anyway.

Guess I won't be getting those 30 extra rubies any time soon (not planning to pull on XII tomorrow, though maybe I should, since this realm is soooooo bad for me). I guess it's not too bad, since I have 460 rubies right now and the extra 30 wouldn't enable me to make a third 6* ability. I should be able to make up the difference with VII Torment since I should be able to beat that one completely.... I hope.

D???: Doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Voltech to r4
280 first run at 36, using the ole onion bsb as I run a mixed team. Losing time to the paling is just a really challenging design decision. I would be curious how folks who could sub30 the 280 in jp,around release are faring at present on the xii whale. Guessing still not well..

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
When in doubt, unleash the beast that is Cloudburst: Mastered Zodiark D280 in 22 seconds with LD Cloud (USB1/USB2/AOSB, double wind boost) and Zack (CSB/BSSB, one wind boost) being backed up by Fran (Wrath/Entrust, no SB), Larsa (Hastga/Magic Breakdown, BSSB) and Penelo (Dispel/Shellga, BSSB1). I'm definitely good for now.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
For sub30 it's much easier if you stack your ASB/OSBs to completely clown 60-41 or 40-21 in one turn running pure physical or pure magic to bypass Paling or Anti Magick.

edit: Theorycrafting D??? (really far) ahead, barring some incredibly unusual setup for a magic team, I feel that'd mean a physical stack with at least one ASB and one OSB fired off at the end of chain #1 for 400,000 damage. I don't see how getting to 40% at the end of chain #1 is possible with a magic team, being at the start of chain #2 means not enough firepower on the ASB/OSB, and being at the end of chain #2 probably means out of time for sub30.

Anyways, D280 Vaan/Basch fire team, Fran/Basch/Larsa couldn't go past 36s, swapped Fran out for OK pUSB and it went right down to 21s (LOL)

Yeah, lack of a good boostga is a severe problem, don't feel like throwing myself at D??? till I RNG one in a couple of years or something.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
With 5*s ward stacking also becomes a thing. 12% off an AOE spike after everything else is a huge deal.

Also kinda thankfully, 5*s are a lot more reasonable to slot in as mains over imperil 3*s just because they also do a shit ton of damage and have generally decent calls so far.

Lenna - USB1/USB2
Krile - USB - Half-dive/enFire LMR
Kelger - BSB/HealblinkSSB - Half-dive
Dorgann - USB/BSB - Full-dive
Faris - BSB - Full-dive

3xBghvMl.jpg

That's all folks. Not coming back to this till getting other SB options.

i got so mad at FFXII torment that i went back sorry guys

DATmBQRl.jpg

Last edited:

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Just woke up. I must have did dWhale last night when I subbed OK in and my time was way worse. I was really out of it.

So I should get a sub 30 that way when I get a chance later today. Not evening going to try dWhale which I think I accidentally did anyway with none of my hits surpassing 2k. Throwing myself at that will just frustrate me.

I think going forward I will only pull on the Torment bait banners that I can't sub 30 d280 on. So I will probably pass on this week's banners. Save for realms like ff1 or ff2.

Good Morning Folks!

Oct 29, 2017
340 rubies in the pile, which I anticipate will go straight into Earth Ironfist and Chain Stoneja as soon as they come out. Gotta prep for 5* Magicite!

Also finally dived Elarra with my new wealth of Spirit Motes!

Oct 27, 2017
Gave the FF12 torment a shot this morning. Used the same party for both the D240 and D280

Vaan BSB
Vayne USB - LD
Gabranth USB
Larsa BSB
Reks BSB

D240; Easy sub 30

D280: Failed just at the end of my first attempt but got 38s on my second attempt. Vayne was my only mage on my team and he was easily capping out Dark Zone. However with my boosts he had more atk than mag so his chases were physical which I guess helped if the anti magic palling went up. I have Ashe on my bench with her BSB/OSB so I might try to create a mage team and attempt it again.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Got 27:87 on the d280. (With OK serving as pUSB, Back up Heals, and Magicite/RW caster)

It took a bit of finagling because every time I thought I had it, the Paling Anti-Melee move blew it for me.

Some takeaways from my experience:

1. If going Fire with Vaan and Balthier, Don't sleep on Fire Monk Vayne. He was doing 9999's with fire gear even though I only have his (not used) Dark BSB.
2. Used Penelo, her USB being Insta seemed to make a difference for me. Back up heals was OK. Sorry Larsa, maybe dWhale in the future will be your chance to shine.
3. Balthier Imperil BSB seems the best choice out of enFire USB, enFire BSB, and the imperil. Not only because of said imperil, but the dmg modifier/multiplier seems to be really high. It was doing 8 hits on entry at 5500-8400 (pUSB crits). My initial attempts last night was exclusively Balthier USB. Getting the Sub 30 on the d280 isn't a big deal at all, but I decided to do a write up since I'm at the computer and it may help someone.

One thing I noticed and didn't figure out, there was 3 times in a row where the first barrier was Anti-Magic instead of Anti-Melee. Then another time where Anti-Melee went off at 18 seconds instead of the (usual for me) 25-26 seconds. I imagine this is all damage-check health related and perhaps I was skipping the anti-melee, or something like that. I glanced back over the fight script and didn't see any mention about it, but it was just a quick look from my phone so may have overlooked it. I'm sure it isn't random. This final time, the kill, he only did the Anti-Magic, which didn't matter for anything other than King Bomb.

Detailed Build Setup and Turn Order:

Penelo - 18rs - USB - r5 Dispel, r4 Curada - Gathering Storm
Vayne - 15rs - BSB (Not Used) - r2 Fires Within, r3 Burning Rush - Much More Fire
Vaan - Fully Dove - USB - r3 Mug Bloodlust, r3 Soul Burn - Battleforged
Balthier - 27rs - BSB (Imperil) - r3 Ruby Spark (Not Used), r3 Burning Snipe - DMT
Onion Knight - Fully Dove - pUSB/LMR - r5 Ultra Cure - MM

Vayne, Vaan, and Balthier all had double Fire Boost gear.
All were wearing Mod Dark Resist, except Vaan who got purposely put in Slot 3 wearing Major Dark Resist.

Magicites - King Bomb - Maliris/Mom Bomb/Seraph/Evrae

Turn Order at Start:

1. Vaan - Mug Bloodlust
2. Balthier - BSB
3. OK - pUSB (LMR Insta-cast)
4. Penelo - Dispel
5. Vayne - Fires Within
6. OK - Realm Chain (LMR Insta-cast ensures this comes before Balthier BSB and Vayne Fires Within)

After that start,

1.Vaan spams Soul Burn until USB ready for insta-cast Thief, then more Soul Burn. Soul Burn Rank 4 would be ideal.
2. Penelo casts Curada with one more dispel before done.
3. OK does Ultra Cure except when King Bomb is ready, and 2nd Cast of Realm Chain is needed for the last 10 seconds.
4. Vayne used Fires Within until Penelo USB hit, then switched to Burning Rush for slightly more damage.
5. Balthier stayed with Burning Snipe, his BSB was ready to go the same time I needed to recast Realm Chain.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Paling happens on 2nd turn at 60%/phase 3
Anti Magick happens on 2nd turn at 40%/phase 4

Hence:

For sub30 it's much easier if you stack your ASB/OSBs to completely clown 60-41 or 40-21 in one turn running pure physical or pure magic to bypass Paling or Anti Magick.

edit: Theorycrafting D??? (really far) ahead, barring some incredibly unusual setup for a magic team, I feel that'd mean a physical stack with at least one ASB and one OSB fired off at the end of chain #1 for 400,000 damage. I don't see how getting to 40% at the end of chain #1 is possible with a magic team, being at the start of chain #2 means not enough firepower on the ASB/OSB, and being at the end of chain #2 probably means out of time for sub30.