• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Penelo lmr from 100 gem and then Vaan usb & lmr and a dupe Basch bsb. Was hoping for Ashe usb but I'll take it.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
God this is such a mega torment bait banner, especially since how Basch's USB2 is completely tailored towards the fight (or is it the other way around?)

But the only XII cast worth a damn is Ashe and Vayne.

How irritating.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
God this is such a mega torment bait banner, especially since how Basch's USB2 is completely tailored towards the fight (or is it the other way around?)

But the only XII cast worth a damn is Ashe and Vayne.

How irritating.

You're right about the banner but at the same time Neo Torments are the major challenging content right now so shoring up weak realms is a legitimate reason to pull on a banner.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
BLACK CRYSTALS?

NEVER HEARD OF EM

IOCSMESl.jpg
4dj0itfl.jpg
Vg4ahUYl.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Netting ashes USB in the 100 gen convinced me to pull when I hit 50 mythril with the daily rewards. Vaan usb2 and lmr2 Fran lmr 2 dupe ashe USB. So not the worst pull, vaan +20 atk and a wind katana. But not enough to hit 50 on dwhale I think.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
d260 CM seemed much easier than normal this week. Like way easier.

Edit: Saw you had a pull post when I scrolled through all the messages, but just now went back and read what you actually got. Ramza chain on DU? Niiiiiiiiice.Really that's an overall "Best DU Evah!!!" type pull.

Last two pulls:
DU Lucky: 3/11 Ramza Chain, TGCid USB dupe, Nabaat USB
FF12: 2/11 Vaan USB, Fran LMR

Last edited:

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
So Man Called Aerodynamics and Falk have not hit 50% on dWhale for FF12... has anybody?

Really what I'm leading up to is a response to the mini-discussion about the worth of pulling on these two banners. While I agree with Pharaun, that Torment Bait or not, weak realm is a weak realm in a game that is moving focus to Realm strength for the next year. I also have to take Random Painted Highway's last comment a step further and ask "What on either of these banners WOULD allow me to get 50% on dWhale (with the ultimate goal being to finish it)?" I don't see a clear answer? As it stands right now, I'm not even going to try.

Indirectly related, I hit 152 mythril this morning, new personal record (in 3 years of playing). This is all based on my half-hearted attempt to copy Officer.Sanchez's 1000 mythril achievement. Do I get any awards for tagging the most people in a post? lol.

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
My XII realm had long been carried by a Full LD Ashe with BSB and LMR + Vaan BSB to the point that I put off pulling on XII for so long that it has now become a weakness. I mean in the past I've tried pulling gear for Basch, but only ever ended up with his SSB Fulminating Darkness which gives pBlink. Powercreep is a thing, as we all know, and it's gotten to the point where I needed to shore up some of the weaknesses.

Anyhow, my first mythril pull ended up Fran LMR/11...at least the LMR itself is useful.

Figured I'd do one more pull because this is a rough realm for me. Ended up with what I like to call the Basch starter kit.

Did 2 pulls total, no dupes - but secretly wanted Ashe's USB, but zero complaints. Finally got that Basch BSB after all this time. That being said, pulling for Ashe's gear is giving me triggering flash backs to back in the day when I tried to get her Northswain's Glow SB (pre G-11) and dropped 200 mythril with nothing to show....maybe that's why I'm so hesitant to pull for XII relics lol. Not getting that particular relic sent me into a lull for the game for a week or two where i did the bare minimum in logging in and collecting mythril and doing some events before they expired before having a renewed vigour for the game.

In looking ahead to future events, I'll probably go into full save mode now until the Fest, but even then I'll probably pull a bit more conservatively than last Fest as none of the banners really speak to me at the moment.

Also after a pretty decent string of 100 gem pulls, I'm back to pulling blanks on it - I suppose RNG has got to level out at some point.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't tried the D??? yet but I think I can probably get to at least 50%. Complete and dived Ashe minus AOSB, complete Penelo, complete and dived Vaan minus his new stuff. BSBs for Basch and Reks. USB/LMR for Balthier if I can fit him in. So a pretty reasonable XII squad.

I'm not pulling on these XII banners. Too many dupes and I'd rather aim for Balthier's new stuff in the next event.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
72 damage dealt? Wow.

Who was your main dps, Ashe?

I wonder if I have been sleeping on her because been focused physical but I do have her fully dove...only BSB though.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, most damage came from Ashe USB. I really wish I had Reks USB, I had him along for the Haste and buffs but his damage is not great. I may try subbing Balthier in for him and focus on imperils.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Reks..Ya his Atk/Def Buff with Haste is nice from the BSB, and I had him geared with Fire Spellblade but he just really didn't earn his spot. As you saw me mention, I was really happy with Balthier Imperil BSB into Burning Snipe. It sounded like we had a lot of the same stuff but I think I just can't get 50% like you.. I only have Ashe BSB, but she is fully dove, and I know what a powerhouse she can be without USB.

I don't know. Maybe I will try later, it's just if I get stuck on something I'll keep chipping away at it until I get it all OCD like and I'm trying to avoid torturing myself like that lol. Anyways, you and Falk are definitely setting the bar on the dWhales. I said earlier I would save for weak realms like Final Fantasy 1 and 2 but then I looked at my torment list and they are WAY off. But FF7 is next and not having Cloud USB is probably going to really hurt me. It seems when we had torments and other events before the FF7 ones are always harder than say FF1 or FF11 etc, because they expect us to have FF7 gear, so I'm really worried about that realm. Gotta save my mythril for that.

Last edited:

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Oh it doesn't show you damage dealt if not at least 50%? That sucks.

Anyway dead end got me at 31 seconds, I think I was probably something like 20-25% damage dealt.

Valigarmanda was landing for 8k and that's with hardly any buffs and I was needing to dispel. Blather also died early. I can do better and will try once more but I don't think 50% happening. Wish I had more than handful of Vali hones. Healing wasn't a problem with both Larsa and Penelo... just not enough damage output.

Edit: Tried one more time with Reks instead of Balthier. Same result, bout 20% damage dealt when Dead End gets me at 31 seconds. This time Ashe was hitting 9999x3 with Valigarmanda and her bsb cmd 1 was hitting for 5300x4. So ya, not happening until I get something from a fest or next FF12 event.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
So Man Called Aerodynamics and Falk have not hit 50% on dWhale for FF12... has anybody?

This is way too dependent on having Basch or Reks USB (preferably Basch by far) so if you sink six rolls into the banner and get the short end of the stick you're comparatively shit out of luck vs if you sank those 6 rolls into two pulls on 3 other realm torment banners.

Too much effort for too little gain; I can wait till 2 XII events down the line while beating the other torments. I don't particularly feel the pressing need to throw myself at it right now for ~80 rubies vs doing it with the proper tools later on.

edit: Just realized a more lengthy discussion on the issue was at a different platform, not here.

Virtually all of the other torments have alternate setups you can use - no Bartz stuff? Don't use Bartz. No TGCid USB? Marche/Agrias/Ramza all can potentially carry, or even mucking around with a Rapha-centric mage team (which honestly is only less popular than phys holy due to the number of people having TGCid stuff after going all-in on him).

FFVII and FFVI torments all have multiple viable setups with multiple viable DPS and buffs (although you probably are forced to dive Aerith if you don't have her USB to deal with the AOE)

FFXII torment simply has a combination of incredibly tight mathematics coupled with the best buff relic being new on a new banner, with the alternate (Reks BSB) being an incredibly inferior choice, albeit still head and shoulders above not having either, and this is in a realm where the characters generally aren't nearly as good as non-FFXII options which makes diving them a very, very difficult decision - so all in all it simply sticks out in being above the others in being dependent on a single new relic.

In other news, hit a bigger personal (lol) milestone today - got an Ixion setup where after the first 1.5 turns of setup, I can mash ability 1 with one hand without looking at the phone and it's dead with about 12secs on the timer. Considering the shit ton of magicite XP needed for... well... everything, having something that can be done without paying attention is a godsend.

https://youtu.be/RLw0144vSp4

I've ever only died once in about 30 runs (burnt a couple mythril just to get some magicite done faster and not worry about it) after getting this together, and it's most likely a combination of evasion ups and savage aerosparks (which has an internal lockout)

Last edited:

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
I will probably do at least 2 pulls. 165 mythril at moment. I haven't looked over the two banners yet.

Edit: Link to Banners for ff7 this week

Now that I have looked at them, some may go after Yuffie anything or Aerith USB2 that are on banner 2, but I feel that Banner 1 is the obvious place to spend mythril. At least two pulls. Only 2/14 on that banner so even better!

Last edited:

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
I'ma try to stay strong and pass on this one. Have all the cloud stuff I want and my dark/fire game is pretty strong.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm going to 100 gem Vincent's Chain.

So Vivi can hit even harder.

Ayep.

That's totally going to happen.

Incoming 100 gem Angeal BSB.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to try to start in on the 4* magicites tomorrow, looking for some team advice. I think I'm going to start on Ixion as my Earth game is arguably my strongest element, or at least top 2-3. I've got a lot of options, but not sure how I'm going to fit the p.blink in without an entrustbot and I don't have Edge's SSB. I have one each of the 3* magicites anywhere between level 65-99. My notable/best Earth options are:

-Galuf w/BSB1 & Earth Chain (I also have Ingus' Chain but that doesn't seem relevant now)
-Cinque (dived) w/LMR, BSB and USB
-Maria (dived) w/BSB and OSB
-Tifa (dived) w/enEarth LMR, USB1 and USB2
-Bartz (dived) w/triplecast chance LMR, USB1 and AOSB
-TGC (dived) w/LMR and USB

My best p.blink options are Penelo USB and Arc SSB2. I'm actually not quite sure how to put this together; Cinque seems like a lock because of how ridiculous she is dived with her USB. Normally I'd offhand I'd say Galuf / Cinque / Tifa / Bartz / Penelo or Arc but the problem is without an entrustbot I'm not sure that I'd be able to keep Penelo/Arc's p.blink up enough since neither can Wrath. I've got Shelke dived because everyone does, but not sure who I'd want to drop for her; I'm actually thinking Tifa might be a lock just because of her USB1 since it's got Hastega + Radiant Shield on it which might help with the Dispels and let me not have to carry a Hastega somewhere. But that would mean I need to drop either Bartz or Galuf, neither of which seems to be a great option but I'm thinking if I had to drop one Bartz would be the one just because Galuf's also carrying my 50% ATK boost? Alternatively I guess I could run Ramza instead of Shelke in Galuf's place for Shout and have him be my entrustbot instead and maybe drop Tifa since he'd have the Hastega?

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Galuf is your anchor here. You will explode Ixion with it, your Earth physical options are off the charts.

Cinque + Tifa + Entrustbot + Penelo if you want something stable. This team will be able to sub 30 easily.

Bartz + Orlandeau + Cinque + Penelo if you want to delete Ixion from existence ASAP.

Maria is not needed here.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Do you have Edge's USB0? Ixion doesn't need healing.

Falk perfected this, but I'm farming him with TGC, Butz, Edge, Galuf, and Cinque. No SBs aside from USB0 and CSB.

It's not foolproof — but it's a stress-free 12-14 second clear.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Edge's USB0. If I did this would be the easiest thing in the game because Hastega is attached to it, I'm forced to bring it separately, and he would also be able to do damage which would help.

I made several attempts with a YOLO team because I know I should be able to do so at least on paper, and only had one successful run at ~23 seconds. The issue for me right now is just straight up survivability, I just barely am not able to hold out without an entrustbot for Penelo's p.blinks on her USB, people would just barely die or I wouldn't quite have a cast of it ready in time etc. This is clearly something where if I had 4* magicite it would give me that edge. That said I'm probably still doing something wrong. On my one successful run I did:

Galuf / uses CSB then Gaia Rush (for lack of anything better sadly), then uses Shell Dragon when that's available then more Gaia Rush
Bartz / Tremoring Quadstrike until USB1 up, then more Tremoring Quadstrike
Cinque / smashes into smashes into more smashes
TGC / 1st instacast turn gets Fabula Raider/Wall RW up, then Earth Sabre
Penelo / 1st turn casts Hastega, 2nd turn USB then Hastega or Curada as needed

Penelo has to do her USB on her 2nd turn, if I wait until her 3rd turn he gets Savage Aerospark off 100% of the time first which dispels the Hastega. I also tried some variants like running Enkindu instead of Shell Dragon, (hilariously) tossing Protectga on Galuf to try to mitigate damage, having Bartz just Life Siphon until USB1 or AOSB was up, I tried both using and not using TGC's USB but that seems to be worth it or not depending on how lucky/unlucky I was getting with double casts off the LMR. I've got 2 earth+ pieces on Cinque and one on TGC/Bartz/Galuf, in hindsight I should probably give one of those to either TGC or Bartz since she's already doing stupid damage. Should I maybe swap out the damage LM's I have on Bartz/Cinque/TGC for SB-gauge building ones instead?

This should be pretty easy for me to do by swapping out either Bartz or TGC for an entrustbot if nothing else though. I just kinda hate it because I know I should probably be able to do this.

Edit: Yeah, subbing Shelke in for TGC (I'm honestly not sure if him or Bartz is who I would drop, I feel like I get way more double/triple casts with Bartz and his USB1 builds chain) I get sub-30 pretty easily. Not entirely sure how I'd fit Tifa in here to be honest, her stuff is good (obviously), her USB1 has a Hastega attached to it but I'd have to feed her meter for it, and her USB2 is gonna compete with Galuf for hones (I don't have a second Gaia Rush). Not gonna stress too much about it since sub-30 is sub-30 even if it's sloppy, but man I'm bad at theorycrafting in this game :/

Last edited:

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like just about every 5* ability needs major dark orbs for hones, I need ~400ish to r4 a bunch of abilities. I'm going to be using all my stamina potions on Wednesdays for a while.

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
It feels like just about every 5* ability needs major dark orbs for hones, I need ~400ish to r4 a bunch of abilities. I'm going to be using all my stamina potions on Wednesdays for a while.

Ya the ninja ones, Ultima Weapon, the darkness spells, I think Soul Burn or Thief's Revenge. Some day I'll go and really farm those, I've got a bunch I want to take from r3 to r4. I would also like to create second copies of the 3 ninja melee abilities since I have both Edge (SSB2) and Yuffie (Glint/BSB) fully dove.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I triple legend dived the double cast ninjas so I pretty much always need dark orbs since I have 2 r4s of each element.

I probably only needed 2( yuffie and edge) but shadows pretty good against siren since it's have his lmr.

Plus Other than tidus for water and bartz for wind, I have nothing that can out dps them.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just letting you know that ninja is awful for the 5* Fire and Lightning magicites.

They throw a ginormous amount of NAT HP% and physical AoE attacks which will kill your blinks in seconds.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Ya the ninja ones, Ultima Weapon, the darkness spells, I think Soul Burn or Thief's Revenge. Some day I'll go and really farm those, I've got a bunch I want to take from r3 to r4. I would also like to create second copies of the 3 ninja melee abilities since I have both Edge (SSB2) and Yuffie (Glint/BSB) fully dove.

Yeah I was going to make the wind thief skill since I got Vaan's new USB and when I saw it needed mdo's I was a bit annoyed.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
re: Torment Jenova

D240: 17.39
D280: 20.82

D??? First attempt: 77%

Team:

Aerith (LM1+LM2): R2 Hastega, R3 Curada, Mako MIght (USB2)
Cloud (LM1+LM2): R3 Tornado Strike, R3 Raging Quadstrike, Truthseeker (USB1/USB2/AOSB), double wind boost
Shelke (LM1+LM2): R3 Entrust, R5 Wrath, Ace Striker (no SB)
Zack (LM1+LM2): R5 Life Siphon, R4 Ripping Blast, Battleforged (CSB/BSSB)
Cait Sith: R3 Dispel, R2 Enfeebling Jitterbug, DMT (BSSB)

Magicites: Tiamat (+L15 Wind Boon), Gizamaluk (+L10 Fire dampen), Earth Guardian (+L10 Earth dampen), Evraes x2 (+ L5 HP Boon/L8 Fast Act).

Tons of incoming AoE damage. I had Last Stand proc at least 5 or 6 times. Made a number of mistakes in D???, like allowing EX Soldier to elapse before firing off AOSB, which capped the damage at 300,000. Lost Cait Sith and Shelke around 35 seconds with only about 55% damage done, plugged on for another 18 seconds or so.

Those tentacles are no joke. If you can't sub-30, you pretty much need to kill them because the damage pile up is too much. And man, running without Shellga is booty. But I can't see an alternative, since those Fire/Ice/Thunder spells are piercing, as is Incubus Ultima (7000+ to everyone, not sure if Jitterbug had worn off or not). Incubus Shadow Flre is not though. Argh.

Only one run so far, but Cait Sith BSSB doesn't look useful for this fight. He's RW/Magicite/Dispel bot, and he only gets one or two turns of BSSB commands before it wears off, and I can't refresh it cause it will mess up Cloud. Sigh.

Last edited:

friz898

Oct 27, 2017
Florida Panhandle
My ff7 team is all over the place. I got sub 30 CM on d240. On d280 I got 38 seconds with OK. I think I can work at it and get a 30 but it will be close.

Xetherion - Sup! You have been quiet. I wanted to report (and my last time posting about it) that Sephiroth bsb1 cmd1 hits for 9999x2 against dWhale right out the gate. Meanwhile BSB entry was hitting for 912dmg. In fact everyone was doing their usual 2k dmg except Sephiroth.

Seems like that's significant. 20k a move isn't bad against dWhale. Too bad only two hits for chain purposes.

Xetherion

Oct 30, 2017
Xetherion - Sup! You have been quiet. I wanted to report (and my last time posting about it) that Sephiroth bsb1 cmd1 hits for 9999x2 against dWhale right out the gate. Meanwhile BSB entry was hitting for 912dmg. In fact everyone was doing their usual 2k dmg except Sephiroth.

Seems like that's significant. 20k a move isn't bad against dWhale. Too bad only two hits for chain purposes.
Hey friz, yeah i haven't had much to contribute lately. Been busy with IRL stuff and haven't really gone into the Neo Torments much. I haven't even done the first 2 difficulties of the XII or VII ones yet. Did do the first 2 for the FFT and V ones, and i think i have the tools to at least clear dWhale for those, but i haven't really given either of them a serious try yet. I will when i have some more time.

Glad to see Seph bsb1 cmd1 still caps vs dWhale, it is a shame it's only 2 hits for the chain. Would be pretty cool if you beat dWhale with it though!

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Cloud USB1
Red XIII USB
Aerith USB1
Yuffie USB 1 + 2
Vincent USB

I thought I'd have a good shot at this d$$$ torment.

I was wrong.

Yuffie is useless if you don't clear tentacles.
Non elemental Cloud is useless.
Vincent on this team is useless, need a dispeller.

RIP

owt1Vc3l.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
These continue to be unfun

Easily sub 30d the first two rounds without real optimization or research

Playing around with dwhale a bit, not in a place to have sustained efforts, maybe this weekend.

Team may be
Cloud ld lmr2 r3 tornado r5 windspellblade USB bsb2 aosb
Zack ld lmr bsb USB csb life siphon r4 ripping blast
Shelke ld entrustbot
Red USB power magic breakdowns
Aerith usb2 ld lmr curada r4 dispel

Tempted to ld red and could then throw out his shellga ssb occasionally.

Oct 29, 2017
It just occurred to me that I have Rude's budget slot saver SSB... Protect, Shell, and Last Stand. He can carry Dispel too, which frees up Aerith to carry Hastega, which allows me to replace Cid with Zack... I might actually be able do something in D???.