• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually keeping and combining armor, except for elemental boost armor for stuff which I have little (Ice, Lightning). There's very few cases I've outright sharded armor, although shields usually are the first to go.

A lot of 5+++ armor still sees use in Torments to stick on support crew whose damage doesn't matter.

edit: And yeah resist armor == non-resist armor for me, what with 5x omni-resist becoming a thing soon.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Finally took Fire-Weak Odin down.

8d1HlDZ.png

Only took like a week and a half hahaha. I guess my problem was I'm still kind of in the "blast em and next" mindset from trying to sub30 Magicites. It's even more tempting with AASB relics, so my problem was I was going all in on DPS and figuring I could scrape by with a single healer. Plus, relying on Edgar's imperil, which he does well (though it's super frustrating when you get two triple casts in a row and not a single one imperils) just led me to dying faster.

Ultimately, I subbed Edgar for Elarra for more heals and just let the team do the rest. Vincent on imperil duty like I had him last week while Radiant Shield puts in time. There were a few times when my chain count or imperil stacks weren't high enough for Noctis to break savage, but thankfully RW/Magicite came in handy.

Rolled Noctis AASB first, then let Bartz get USB2 as soon as it's up, into AASB - then Fire BSB and AOSB in phase 3. Noctis ran out of AASB steam with Odin at around 45% health, so he just transitioned to using SSB for instant casts.

When I subbed Elarra in yesterday, I got further in the fight with meter left for Aerith's USB2 in p3 and I knew it could be done. Of course, I bungled my inputs for Bartz and hit AOSB before en-firing, so that wrecked that run. Another time I forgot that Last Stand had procc'd and died unexpectedly in Phase 3.

Just glad this Odin is down. Which one to tackle next? Maybe water or wind weak.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Tried water weak Odin, got him down to p3, but accidentally used an extra medica in P2 which I needed for P3. He should be going down pretty quick later today when I try again.

Rolling with Tidus, Bartz, Wakka, Aerith, Elarra.

My only concern is that I would have low damage in p3 due to Wakka being their mainly for imperils...I wonder if I need to forego the imperils.

Water weak Odin seems tame compared to fire weak Odin.

I'm assuming Noctis would have to use heavy abilities for his earth AASB right? does that mean the multiplier is stupidly high on those heavy abilities, so he should have a super easy time with 100% crit + high multiplier breaking the damage cap? I haven't played with earth Noctis yet.

Last edited:

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Heavy has a rather weird interaction with ability double/AASBs - it's 4 + 4 for a guaranteed 2 charge, then 8 + 3 on the other ability, i.e. the second just goes with 0 stacks. That's 19 hits across 2 turns vs 20 hits on spellblades/chainjas not counting LMR procs which work heavily in favor of spellblades/jas. The main problem right NOW is that they're both 5* which means you're getting bars a little slower, and the multipliers are a little weaker. Noctis himself makes up for it by making lineups a little more flexible since he brings his own 100% crit.

edit: To answer your q:
6* Spellblades are 0.9 x 5
6* hybrid Spellblades are 1.1 x 4
5* Spellblades are 0.8 x 4

5* Heavy charge builder is 0.55 x 4 (lol)
5* Heavy finisher is 0.88 x 8 for first attack, and 1.0 x 3 for 2nd attack

It's incredibly niche but if you can get things to line up so that the finisher pops a Rage 3 on the first attack, the 2nd at 1.0 x 3 (which is almost as high as the hybrid spellblades) helps break it.

edit2: It's worth mentioning that other Heavy users like Galuf actually get free ragebreakers with the other single-hit finishers. Very good utility to have, also considering he can imperil on BSB if you stick Ace Striker on him.

Because of the the way Odin generally works, if you can break Rage 3, that guy is probably going to end up capping (sometimes with a little more chain on the milder damage reduction rages like Water-weak) once you get past the worst of it at 70%

I think in general Odin P3 is comparable to Syldra P3- sure his def gets boosted a shit ton, but that shouldn't be too much of a hurdle if you have enough damage boost (imperil, boostga, attach, ability boost, etc) and a high-enough chain count. The best time to push into P3 is around the time chains hit half, so working your prior strat to eventually end there helps with the final push.

p.s. mathematically an imperil to bring P3 to -3 or -4 pays for itself since it's your other DPS all doing 1/3 more damage vs a neutral 120% vulnerability. 1/2 more damage at a full 6 stacks. If the Odin flavor has any form of Barelement at all you want that imperil there even more.

Even with max Crystal Waters, Aerith needs Health Boon 14 to get above 10,000 HP. Health Boon 12 isn't enough. Get with the times Aerith!

Not necessarily, although a 3rd HP boon always has an argument for it regardless.

Aerith has 5200 (base) + 980 (dive) + 1200 (water) + 500 (magia) for 7880 HP.

You need 10000 - 7880
= 2120 from Magicite contribution

This is where the type of magicite suddenly becomes really important. Most of them hover around 6000 HP and you need to prioritize the ones that have over 6000, ESPECIALLY for main slot since the calc for stat contribution from boons is (Main) + (sum of 4 sub) / 2

Unfortunately Lakshmi draws the short straw here with a paltry 5229 HP. Ark has the highest (I think?) at 6847 HP

Here's a quick guide I have copypasted from discord resources for calculating HP from Magicite:

CALCULATING HP
Get to this screen, add the two numbers, multiply by HP boon (0.08, 0.12 or 0.14 depending on number of boons), then add that to your displayed character's HP

oG4c3jp.png

e.g. if I have 2 HP boons in my deck, that would be
(12695 + 6128) * 0.12
= 18823 * 0.12
= 2258 HP
10000 - 2258 = characters need 7742 HP displayed in party screen to be over 9999

REASONING:
A) Magicite deck stats show (main magicite) + (sub magicite)/4 for the purpose of magicite strength for call/periodic attacks
B) stat calculation for Boon uses (main magicite) + (sub magicite)/2
C) when you 'remove' your main magicite you get (sub magicite)/4 as the red number
D) (main) + (sub)/4 + (sub)/4 = (main) + (sub)/2

Incidentally that deck pushes Aerith comfortably over 10k with 2 HP boons.

If you ABSOLUTELY need Lakhsmi as main magicite it's still possible to hit 10k if you're extra careful with the other 4. (Madeens being <6k doesn't help...)

edit3: Fixed some maths (Magia is 500 total, not 400, everything adds up now)

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Couple questions about Typhon:
- I see a lot of videos using Affliction Break, is that only for the sap? Seems overkill for just that. Am I missing something?
- There's no special tricks to avoid Snort right? (apart from maybe using stuff like dragon jumping but I don't see how that would work well in a magic fight) Is it just a dps race?

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
- I see a lot of videos using Affliction Break, is that only for the sap? Seems overkill for just that. Am I missing something?
- There's no special tricks to avoid Snort right? (apart from maybe using stuff like dragon jumping but I don't see how that would work well in a magic fight) Is it just a dps race?

Affliction break can cause Typhon's enaero spam at the beginning to miss.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As Pharaun said, AB can cause his enaero to miss. Not required if your healing can keep up, but it helps. edit: Also, Sap is auto-hit, AB wont stop it.
And Typhon is a full DPS race. You must force him into Phase 2 before his aoe snort. After that, he will snort the slot 3 character, and you must force him into Phase 3 before he snorts slots 2 and 4. After that, you have to kill him before he snorts everyone left. And also, Typhon is 100% piercing, so Wall, Protectga and Shellga are useless, you have to bring just DPS and healing stuff, basically.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Okay, I REALLY want to get back into this game, I played it YEARS ago, and I have a few 5 stars and a 6 star!

But I'm still so far from getting anywhere, and I have no idea on how to conduct my time to effectively advance and get to a powerful team. I'm at a loss!

Does anyone have any good beginner tips for somebody rocking Lvl 80's and trying to get their Onion Knight and Cloud maxed out?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Sorry for another newbie question, but this one is super important! I'll spoiler the details and cut to the chase.

I know I have two people to build up, Cloud and... Agrias? I'll check later, they both have record material that starts you off with 2 soul break charges when they reach max level, and I'm working on that. Cloud has no good stuff though, and I tried to get him stuff to no avail, but whatever, Onion Knight is kitted our, gotta max his level.

ANYWAY, I have 46 Mithril, and I went through all the gift dungeons, and I haven't spent any of the stuff from them yet, and I wanted to ask.

I know that the special draw that lets you pick a 6* relic is super duper useful and important, and I can make up the rest of the mithril for it in a flash. I need to know, are there ANY relics in there that can seriously be useful?

I understand Elaria's relic that makes everyone Regen 2000 hp is high on the list, and Tyro just came out with a busted one with buffs, but I would like a reccomendation if anyone has one that would be very useful to gun for. I'll give more details on who's missing something useful if they fit into the draw, I just really want to make the most of this event so as to encourage myself to get back into it.

I know this is broad, and I know cracking down on an elemental team is basically the most important way to actually get somewhere, but I'm practically all over the place in terms of elemental coverage, with the exception of fire, with Reynn's Affrite relic, since I lucked out on Mustadio's Fire resist down relic, and even then, I don't even have mustadio built up at all. I also have 4 different characters with Earth Relics, along with Edward's chain holy relic, but they are all unused as well.

Anything could help in the right situation, and I'm probably going to get a reply for Elara or Tyro, but I just want confirmation before I start spending.

I can get the 100 Mithril for the relic choice pull, but I want a reccomendation that'd help carry me a bit, so I can make the most of it and it's Soul Break once I finally get Cloud to 99 and procure his Record Materia, so I can use it quickly.

I have a team, but it's 65-80, and my relics are all over the place. I hope I can be a good part of this community once I get my groove back!

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Pharaun Ahnez thanks for the explanation, that make sense.
Currently I'm having trouble surviving after the first snort so I might try to use AB and see how it goes. I'm also having trouble rushing to p2 so I guess I might need some more artefact/6* skills here (Mostly DPSing with Alphi(Vali) and Edea (ChainBlizzga) under Snow chain and OK mUSB here but it seems to be a bit too slow...)
Anyway, time for some test runs :)

Razorrin Elarra USB is a definite must have, especially if you don't have an "equivalent" medica (rosa or Aeris USB2 for example). Picking this will definitely carry you through a ton of content (I think most people will agree on this :) )

Also, concerning Record Materia, some must have are Cloud's Mako Might, Tyro's Dr Mog Teaching (start w/ 2 SB gauge), Ace Striker, Battleborn (gain much more SB gauge) but you don't need to really build those characters if you don't have relics for them, just level them up to 99 (you'll get tons of growth eggs to help you on that, otherwise you can run the xp dungeon to help you a bit, but that might not be the best use of your stamina).

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

First D??? sub30. This was the one I knew I could, just had to find the right setup.

TGC - USB/LMR, 2x Assault Sabre, +knight
Ramza - CSB/USB2/LMR, LS/Assault Sabre, DMT
Ovelia - USB/LMR, Holyja/Hastega, Thunder God
Agrias - BSB, Shellga/Assault Sabre, +knight
Marche - USB, Healing Smite, MM

Lakshmi - Lv 81, no inheritance
Siren - MND boon 15
Evrae - no inheritance
Madeen - 2x Atk boon 20
Phoenix - Blade/Spellward 8

Everyone has resist poison accs, and everyone (except Ovelia) has 2x +holy equips. Ramza opens with CSB, LS until ~13s and CSB again, then AS to USB2 to AS. Marche opens with USB, the Healing Smite until ~13s and recast USB, then HS. Agrias starts with Shellga, and then AS and BSB when ready, with her LM2, she can stack imperils really fast. TGC does USB TGC stuff. And Ovelia uses Hastega, then overwrites slow with another Hastega, summons Lakshmi and USB to heal when needed (Used her USB only twice), Holyja on every other turn. I didn't even use the RW.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Jux, thank you for the advice! I actually lucked out and got Aerith's USB2, so I might get better use out of Tyro's recent USB, since that provides a ton of very important buffs, but I don't really know, I'm kinda trying to feel out my options.

For now, I'm aware that a good, rounded party requires three damage dealers, debuff support and a dedicated healer with a good healing or buff SB. While I have Aeriths last stand USB already, and Noel's massive debuff burst, I have yet to acquire a truly useful Buff SB, and I'm looking into gaining one for the choice ultra.

I have several characters that have massive potential in my party if I'm careful, and if anyone want's to offer advice as to who I should focus on first to round out my crew, I would most appreciate it.

Lann (WoFF) is my major damage dealer right now, equipped with a fire up armor and the Affrite weapon, making him deal significant Fire damage anytime he uses a fire attack. I'm planning on getting him a monk fire ability, but I want to wait until I know I can make the most of his damage output, and the fact that I have Mustadio's fire resist down SB might be the ticket I'm looking for, or perhaps King's endless waltz double casting flame offering, I don't know.

Sephiroth(FFVII) has both his legend materia armor that occasionally doublecasts his dark attacks, and his pants SB that makes him a dark damage nightmare. I haven't built him up too much right now, but I'm hopeful he can become a useful damage dealer if I can grab two dark abilities for him, especially the one reducing resistance! Plus I have his glint that makes dark attacks he does heal him, so that's cool.

Ashe(FFXII) is my current magic and summon attacker and BOY does she pack a punch right now! She currently has an overstrike SB for thunder damage. She makes good use of Syldra, even Bahamut, and I want to get her chain thunder eventually, but I also feel like she could get some good use out of Odin's defense down stuff as well, sorta fit some utility in there, or maybe Pheonix for emergency revives. Or I could go back and forth with Sudden Thunder for speed, I could go either way!

Vaan(FFXII) has both materia armor that doublecasts thief abilities occasionally, and his USB that triggers spiral rush on thief abilities. I know double cast doesn't trigger it twice, but it feels like he's set up to really do some damage here! Dash n' Slash and Theives Revenge would make him an absolute unit, although lowering wind resistance might be harder to accomplish then other elements.

Now for Healing Support. I have the Aerith(FFVII) USB that heals a lot, provides Last Stand and reduces everyone physical delay for three turns for great damage speed, I have the Aria (FFIII) USB that heals a lot, practically negates all fire damage and provides large Regen, and I am able to spend my free relic pick on Elara's Rediculous 2000 Hp a tick Regen USB that heals instantly and reduces delay for two turns.

I guess I'm asking on that one, do I really need Elara's USB if I already have Aeriths? Or is it better to spend that USB pick on Tyro's super huge defense and haste buff one instead?

Special Section for Earth Party Members:

Dorgann(FFV), Kelgar(FFV), Tifa(FFVII), Rinoa(FFVIII), Rude(FFVII), Ingus(FFIII) and Paine(FFX) all have at least one SB that does Significant Earth damage, with Dorgann reducing earth resistance with a burst while also empowering everyone with medium attack, Kelgar boosting ninja abilities and doing 8 follow ups with Earth attacks if his mirror image doesn't get triggered, Tifa just having a super powerful Arcane Overstrike, Rinoa having a bravery mode that does lots of black magic Earth followups breaking damage limit, Rude having both damage and healing support burst abilities, Ingus debuffing enemy damage output by a ton, and Paine having a highly damaging and omni elemental burst that dispels and can set up to use Earth attacks after.

And a ton of them infuse their user with Earth, as well as have Legend materia equipment as well.

I've yet to gain a chain SB for earth, but I sorta feel pressured to do so, since I'm sitting on a ton of damage potential and party utility here. I do have a chain for Holy with Edward, and a few Holy element SB's with Basch and Marche, so that could be helpful as well.

At the Very least, Dorgann and Kelgar, the Dawn Bros, are super powerful together, and I'd be remiss not to try to capitalize on that. It's too bad Kelgar's only usable abilities to trigger his amazing followups are all 5*, I would've liked a cheaper option to try him out with! At least he does huge amounts of damage with it!

That took a long time to write, and I feel like I wrote most of that to get my thoughts on order!

if anyone want's to drop some advice, your welcome to, and I hope you all have some great luck and fun fights!

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Jux, thank you for the advice! I actually lucked out and got Aerith's USB2, so I might get better use out of Tyro's recent USB, since that provides a ton of very important buffs, but I don't really know, I'm kinda trying to feel out my options.

For now, I'm aware that a good, rounded party requires three damage dealers, debuff support and a dedicated healer with a good healing or buff SB. While I have Aeriths last stand USB already, and Noel's massive debuff burst, I have yet to acquire a truly useful Buff SB, and I'm looking into gaining one for the choice ultra.

I have several characters that have massive potential in my party if I'm careful, and if anyone want's to offer advice as to who I should focus on first to round out my crew, I would most appreciate it.

Lann (WoFF) is my major damage dealer right now, equipped with a fire up armor and the Affrite weapon, making him deal significant Fire damage anytime he uses a fire attack. I'm planning on getting him a monk fire ability, but I want to wait until I know I can make the most of his damage output, and the fact that I have Mustadio's fire resist down SB might be the ticket I'm looking for, or perhaps King's endless waltz double casting flame offering, I don't know.

Sephiroth(FFVII) has both his legend materia armor that occasionally doublecasts his dark attacks, and his pants SB that makes him a dark damage nightmare. I haven't built him up too much right now, but I'm hopeful he can become a useful damage dealer if I can grab two dark abilities for him, especially the one reducing resistance! Plus I have his glint that makes dark attacks he does heal him, so that's cool.

Ashe(FFXII) is my current magic and summon attacker and BOY does she pack a punch right now! She currently has an overstrike SB for thunder damage. She makes good use of Syldra, even Bahamut, and I want to get her chain thunder eventually, but I also feel like she could get some good use out of Odin's defense down stuff as well, sorta fit some utility in there, or maybe Pheonix for emergency revives. Or I could go back and forth with Sudden Thunder for speed, I could go either way!

Vaan(FFXII) has both materia armor that doublecasts thief abilities occasionally, and his USB that triggers spiral rush on thief abilities. I know double cast doesn't trigger it twice, but it feels like he's set up to really do some damage here! Dash n' Slash and Theives Revenge would make him an absolute unit, although lowering wind resistance might be harder to accomplish then other elements.

Now for Healing Support. I have the Aerith(FFVII) USB that heals a lot, provides Last Stand and reduces everyone physical delay for three turns for great damage speed, I have the Aria (FFIII) USB that heals a lot, practically negates all fire damage and provides large Regen, and I am able to spend my free relic pick on Elara's Rediculous 2000 Hp a tick Regen USB that heals instantly and reduces delay for two turns.

I guess I'm asking on that one, do I really need Elara's USB if I already have Aeriths? Or is it better to spend that USB pick on Tyro's super huge defense and haste buff one instead?

Special Section for Earth Party Members:

Dorgann(FFV), Kelgar(FFV), Tifa(FFVII), Rinoa(FFVIII), Rude(FFVII), Ingus(FFIII) and Paine(FFX) all have at least one SB that does Significant Earth damage, with Dorgann reducing earth resistance with a burst while also empowering everyone with medium attack, Kelgar boosting ninja abilities and doing 8 follow ups with Earth attacks if his mirror image doesn't get triggered, Tifa just having a super powerful Arcane Overstrike, Rinoa having a bravery mode that does lots of black magic Earth followups breaking damage limit, Rude having both damage and healing support burst abilities, Ingus debuffing enemy damage output by a ton, and Paine having a highly damaging and omni elemental burst that dispels and can set up to use Earth attacks after.

And a ton of them infuse their user with Earth, as well as have Legend materia equipment as well.

I've yet to gain a chain SB for earth, but I sorta feel pressured to do so, since I'm sitting on a ton of damage potential and party utility here. I do have a chain for Holy with Edward, and a few Holy element SB's with Basch and Marche, so that could be helpful as well.

At the Very least, Dorgann and Kelgar, the Dawn Bros, are super powerful together, and I'd be remiss not to try to capitalize on that. It's too bad Kelgar's only usable abilities to trigger his amazing followups are all 5*, I would've liked a cheaper option to try him out with! At least he does huge amounts of damage with it!

That took a long time to write, and I feel like I wrote most of that to get my thoughts on order!

if anyone want's to drop some advice, your welcome to, and I hope you all have some great luck and fun fights!

re: Tyro USB3 vs Elarra USB

You can snag Tyro's Sentinel Grimoire off one of the free picks (Tomes? Books? in the missions tab) if you haven't already done so which will suffice for pretty much 100% of the content until you hit the endgame in which it becomes largely irrelevant since everything becomes piercing. I'd say spend the banner pick up on Elarra's USB. Elarra USB + Aerith USB2 makes you ultra survivable when you may later run 2 healers. It's a luxury, sure, but I think it's a more useful luxury than having Tyro USB3 vs Sentinel Grimoire.

Your focus should now be on obtaining a good MAG/ATK buff (if you haven't done so already?). Onion Knight's BSB is great (and later his 2 buff USBs for phys/mag), Ramza's SSB (Shout), are excellent options since they provide you with buffs and haste. Ramza acts as a support for debuffing (though they seem to be transitioning him into off-dps lately) and will be pretty key for a lot of content while you make your way to endgame. Onion requires being at level 90+ (?) to be of any use since that's when his stats start growing. He is otherwise useless until then, so he is an excellent candidate to quickly egg up. Onion ended up replacing Ramza in a lot of instances because he can do more - heal, support, MAG.

Edge is also another character that people will slot in with his SSB (Eblan Doppleganger) due to it's blink, haste and last stand. Super effective and an excellent slot saver.

Whether you run physical or magic teams, or a mix, Ramza or Onion Knight are pretty key.

As a side note, if you can, try and build up Bartz and get him some soul breaks because he covers so many elements through his BSBs/USBs/AASB. More often than not, you'll find a way to slot him on your team due to his versatility.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't get much of a chance to work on Odin yesterday.

But I was 1 turn away from winning vs water weak Odin today...arrgh so frustrating.

If only I had cast Wakka USB instead of Wakka BSB....what was I thinking lol.

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at 100 Mythril, wondering if I should pull for the USB select. I need to dive down to see what exactly I would need, but off the top of my head I'm missing OK pUSB, Godwall, Rosa USBs. I have Elarra USB + Aerith USB2 already. Attacking ones are a crapshoot but the major one of those types I would be missing are like what, Vivi and Ashe maybe?

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Finally beat Typhon. Was easier than i expected (of course with Alphi AASB...) but it feels good :). Still need to farm 6 more for Madeen and then I go back to banging my head against Syldra.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
Razorrin:

Just letting you know, that while Aerith USb2 is fantastic, Elarra USB1 is still better 99% of the time and is still absolutely worth getting. Both of those will safely carry you to end game (and they work extremely well together as well - you're essentially immortal and near permanent speed casts). Tyro USB4 is really more of an end game relic, not likely to be especially useful to you for a long time compared to Elarra. Don't get me wrong, Tyro USB4 is probably the best or second best USB in the game, but it really needs other stuff (really strong DPS relics) to shine. The general consensus when it comes to USBs is, "If you don't have Elarra USB1, get Elarra USB1". It's only real competition if Rosa USB2. If you had that, I'd say get something else, but even with Aerith USb2 in hand, you'd still want Elarra.

As for the rest of your chaarcters: Sephiroth sounds good to go. You'll want to make Crimson Cross for him for now. You will murder stuff with his USB2 (pants) and dualcast dark LMR (though watch out for recoil damage - you'll want to target him a lot with healing spells cause a triple-cast CC is going to put him in danger). He'll get even better once you can create Demon Cross. If you want to play things safe in the meantime, Dread Weapon is fine. Life Siphon+Dread Weapon will still make a strong ability loadout for Seph.

It sounds like you have Vaan USB2 and his dualcast LMR, which are both great. You'll want to make Dash & Slash for Vaan for the time being until you can get 6* thief abilities. Life Siphon+Dash & Slash and he's good to go.

Your Lann and Ashe, by comparison, are weak. Until you get better stuff for them, they're not going to match the damage output of Seph/Vaan. Unless you need fire or lightning damage specifically, I say chuck them.

By comparison, your Rinoa with Brave USB (bUSB) is much stronger than your Ashe w/ OSB. Note that Rinoa can also use summons.

Dorgan/Kelgar do indeed work well together, but yes, Kelgar will be limited to 5* abilities to maximize his damage output right now (as will Dorgan, for that mater). Frankly, though, by the time you get the orbs to hone their abilities, you'll probably have stronger stuff for other characters (Sephiroth is already stronger than those two put together).

The main thing you're missing is good buff/hastega user to tied your team together. You'll want to get Ramza's Shout from Acolyte Archives for physical, and I'd recommend OK's Vessel of Fate as well for magic teams or mixed teams.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
You guys have been very helpful! I'm going to try to build up my Mithril to get Elara's Regenga USB, and I'll see if I get lucky on the big draw in getting anything else. This is going to be my main party for now, I'll try to get them boosted up ASAP.

Sephiroth: Major dark damage, Darkness User.

dark artifact Katana, Dark boosting armor, Life Syphon, Dread Weapon. Record Materia: 50% increased SB gain on actions. He'll have his Glint, Doublecast Darkness LM, and his USB2. He's gonna going to be a major damage dealer, especially if he can luck out on another LM sometime down the line!

Vaan: Major Wind damage, Thief User.

Wind artifact Dagger, Wind boosting armor, Life Syphon, Dash 'n Slash. Record Materia: 50% increased SB gain on actions. He has both his USB and his Doublecast Thief LM. Right now he'll be an effective Wind damage dealer, but he has real potential for debuff support if I can snag either his Burst or his bUSB, as both of them benignity Physical teams greatly.

Elara: Designated Healer, White magic and Summon user. Bard Debuff Utility.

Mind Weapon, Mind Armor, Curada (I'm workin' on it, Ultra Cure for now), Phoenix/any needed debuff dance. Record Materia: Signifficant White Magic boost. A ton of her healing utility is going to come from her USB, as it is Rediculous, and it pops instantly. She'll eventually become super reliable once I get her Doublecast LM, but for now she'll still be very helpful healer, and is flexible with debuffs due to bard abilities.

Ramza: Buff Super until I can get OK's Vessel of Fate, or Equivalent Haste/Damage SB. Otherwise, Back row Tank. Replaceable.

Weapon irrelevant, Best armor for Res or Def depending, Draw Fire/Magic Lure and Lifesyphon/Wraith. I really only have his shout SSB, but that SSB is very important to making sure my team can attack quickly and powerfully right now. He needs to have some utility, so I think if he can take blows for the party and soak up the damage, Elarra will have someone to heal and he can reduce risk for the other party members. He's an intermediary step for another, better haste buffer.

Tyro: Defense Soul Break and Utility.

All equipment, materia and abilities subject to change, most likely attack and magic neccessary for mission completion, and Starting Soulbreak for immediate bossfights. He'll be my ace in the hole in case I need something for any situation. In situations that don't call for completion, he will fill whatever hole is needed, most likely reducing elemental resistance for the damage dealers. Getting lucky and getting divine veil will make him immensely useful, but as has been said, is not critical right now.

I sincerely appreciate the advice I've been given, and I hope I can get good enough to be helpful to others as you all have been to me!

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
You guys have been very helpful! I'm going to try to build up my Mithril to get Elara's Regenga USB, and I'll see if I get lucky on the big draw in getting anything else. This is going to be my main party for now, I'll try to get them boosted up ASAP.

Sephiroth: Major dark damage, Darkness User.

dark artifact Katana, Dark boosting armor, Life Syphon, Dread Weapon. Record Materia: 50% increased SB gain on actions. He'll have his Glint, Doublecast Darkness LM, and his USB2. He's gonna going to be a major damage dealer, especially if he can luck out on another LM sometime down the line!

Vaan: Major Wind damage, Thief User.

Wind artifact Dagger, Wind boosting armor, Life Syphon, Dash 'n Slash. Record Materia: 50% increased SB gain on actions. He has both his USB and his Doublecast Thief LM. Right now he'll be an effective Wind damage dealer, but he has real potential for debuff support if I can snag either his Burst or his bUSB, as both of them benignity Physical teams greatly.

Elara: Designated Healer, White magic and Summon user. Bard Debuff Utility.

Mind Weapon, Mind Armor, Curada (I'm workin' on it, Ultra Cure for now), Phoenix/any needed debuff dance. Record Materia: Signifficant White Magic boost. A ton of her healing utility is going to come from her USB, as it is Rediculous, and it pops instantly. She'll eventually become super reliable once I get her Doublecast LM, but for now she'll still be very helpful healer, and is flexible with debuffs due to bard abilities.

Ramza: Buff Super until I can get OK's Vessel of Fate, or Equivalent Haste/Damage SB. Otherwise, Back row Tank. Replaceable.

Weapon irrelevant, Best armor for Res or Def depending, Draw Fire/Magic Lure and Lifesyphon/Wraith. I really only have his shout SSB, but that SSB is very important to making sure my team can attack quickly and powerfully right now. He needs to have some utility, so I think if he can take blows for the party and soak up the damage, Elarra will have someone to heal and he can reduce risk for the other party members. He's an intermediary step for another, better haste buffer.

Tyro: Defense Soul Break and Utility.

All equipment, materia and abilities subject to change, most likely attack and magic neccessary for mission completion, and Starting Soulbreak for immediate bossfights. He'll be my ace in the hole in case I need something for any situation. In situations that don't call for completion, he will fill whatever hole is needed, most likely reducing elemental resistance for the damage dealers. Getting lucky and getting divine veil will make him immensely useful, but as has been said, is not critical right now.

I sincerely appreciate the advice I've been given, and I hope I can get good enough to be helpful to others as you all have been to me!

Looks like your on your way!

Just one thing though, I'd probably use Ramza in the front row with Full Breakdown + one of Phys/Mag/Mental/Armor/Resistance Breakdown since it will stack for added debuffs and extra survivability. FYI, as long as debuffs and buffs hit different main stats they stack. I used to use Ramza's Hail of Stones SB as a finisher waaaaaaay back in the day. Nothing is quite so satisfying as seeing him hurl a boulder.

For example, Full Breakdown hits ATK/DEF/MAG/RES (i think? either way it hits a multitude of stats) so stacking Magic Breakdown on top of it on the next turn will lead to an even further reduction in MAG for the enemy. However, using Magic Break after (not breakdown) would overwrite Magic Breakdown as they hit the same stat.

It works the same with buffs as well, so Ramza's Shout which gives +50% attack bonus would stack with Onion Knight's Vessel of Fate (BSB) which gives +30% ATK/MAG. However, Ramza's Shout would not stack with Onion Knight's pUSB which gives +50% and +50% Crit chance as they boost the same stat, with Crit% being a secondary stat in this case.

Stacking debuffs while increasing your own buffs can trivialize A LOT of fights until you get to the endgame.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Looks like your on your way!

Just one thing though, I'd probably use Ramza in the front row with Full Breakdown + one of Phys/Mag/Mental/Armor/Resistance Breakdown since it will stack for added debuffs and extra survivability. FYI, as long as debuffs and buffs hit different main stats they stack. I used to use Ramza's Hail of Stones SB as a finisher waaaaaaay back in the day. Nothing is quite so satisfying as seeing him hurl a boulder.

For example, Full Breakdown hits ATK/DEF/MAG/RES (i think? either way it hits a multitude of stats) so stacking Magic Breakdown on top of it on the next turn will lead to an even further reduction in MAG for the enemy. However, using Magic Break after (not breakdown) would overwrite Magic Breakdown as they hit the same stat.

It works the same with buffs as well, so Ramza's Shout which gives +50% attack bonus would stack with Onion Knight's Vessel of Fate (BSB) which gives +30% ATK/MAG. However, Ramza's Shout would not stack with Onion Knight's pUSB which gives +50% and +50% Crit chance as they boost the same stat, with Crit% being a secondary stat in this case.

Stacking debuffs while increasing your own buffs can trivialize A LOT of fights until you get to the endgame.

Excellent advice! I will certainly keep that to heart! I remember hearing about a super effective defensive strategy around draw fire and retaliate, as they stack their defense buffs on top of each other into a whopping 170%! Ramza, I find, actually can't use retailiate, so I shall take your advice and peruse Full Break as soon as possible, and try to maximize my debuff and buffs!

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent advice! I will certainly keep that to heart! I remember hearing about a super effective defensive strategy around draw fire and retaliate, as they stack their defense buffs on top of each other into a whopping 170%! Ramza, I find, actually can't use retailiate, so I shall take your advice and peruse Full Break as soon as possible, and try to maximize my debuff and buffs!

Ah yes, the retaliate meta!

Cloud can do draw fire if you record dive his paladin sphere, which would let him do draw+retaliate...

However, the way to make the best use of the retaliate cheese meta was to:

Buff self
Debuff enemy
Retaliate on Cloud, or your other strongest Samurai character
have all characters equipped with double cut, or double attack materia, or thundering quadstrike and target Cloud.
Cloud will dump out the damage and not trigger any counters if there were any.

Luneth's Advance SB as RW to bump up Cloud's attack and get going, but that's so outdated now since you could use any number of other buffing SBs. That was a legendary relic to have back in the early days just for RW purposes lol.

Good times indeed.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Ah yes, the retaliate meta!

Cloud can do draw fire if you record dive his paladin sphere, which would let him do draw+retaliate...

However, the way to make the best use of the retaliate cheese meta was to:

Buff self
Debuff enemy
Retaliate on Cloud, or your other strongest Samurai character
have all characters equipped with double cut, or double attack materia, or thundering quadstrike and target Cloud.
Cloud will dump out the damage and not trigger any counters if there were any.

Luneth's Advance SB as RW to bump up Cloud's attack and get going, but that's so outdated now since you could use any number of other buffing SBs.

Good times indeed.

I made plenty of use outta that way back! It's crazy how Retaliate it ignores counter attacks when you use it, and I'm so glad the developers actually left it alone and practically canonized it!

I actually played this game YEARS ago when it was coming out, and I had an absolute blast! I eventually tapered off, and came back around a year ago, and got confused a bit with all the additions.

I'm glad to finally play again and get my groove going, it's a ton of fun so far! If anyone wants to do raids sometime, here's my player ID.

v8gW

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Okay, maybe Ramza won't be as temporary as I thought, since I just pulled his USB on the way to getting Elarra's Regenga USB, and now he's going to do a ton of holy damage all the time. Once I luck out on his Holy Attack Doublecast LM, we'll have a stew going!

Now I just have to get to Ramza and Tidus's second memory crystals and I'll be patiently ready to destroy all the nightmare dungeons! I'm hunting down Curada ASAP, though!

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Besides ticket dungeons from the Fest which one should I clear before tonight's deadline?

Which ones I can skip for now and they will come back on the next fest?

I was planning to do the fest over July 4th weekend but I got other stuffs went on.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
The Cardia Island stuff and the Transcendent boss should come back, everything else you should do.

On an unrelated note I got a FFVI shared damage sb from the daily draw.

L
O
L

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any future mythril based USB select coming up? Specificially after Tyro AASB banner.

I only want 1 USB right now and its Tyro USB4. I don't need Tyro USB4 right now since I don't have a lot of AASBs and I have Ignis BSB. So I can wait and see how Tyro AASB banner goes first but I don't want to miss out on Tyro USB4 if I don't get the AASB.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
The Cardia Islands come back? That's news to me.

The Transcendent fights return, so Omega Weapon will be back with the rest.

re: Fest

I had skipped all the RoP, but decided to do a pull on my two weakest realms, 1 and XII: I got me Matoya LMR, XII got me Gabranth dualcast LMR. The latter isn't bad, and he's actually in my current XII Torment team, but the team is awful and slow and this will barely move the needle. Matoya's LMR doesn't seem like it would be especially useful, though I suppose I could run her with Vivi fire+ staff and witch abilities. But 1 still remains a wasteland and XII doesn't look like it won't be anything less than painful for the foreseeable future.

Not planning to do any Odins, Torments, or magicites until Full Open is over.

Razorrin:

Before I continue, do you have the Big Five™ Record MAterias? Those are Mako Might (Cloud), Dr. Mog's Teachings (Tyro), Acestriker (Tidus), Battleforged (Ramza), and Gathering Storm (Orlandeua, a.k.a. Thunder God Cid/TGC). 99% of all team compositions use at least 3 of those, if not all of them. I note you have at least 3 of them but you should definitely try to get all.

Second, as soon as you are able, you should chuck Acestriker/Battleforged from your damage dealers. Unless every hit is hitting cap, you're missing out on a LOT of damage with +SB gauge RMs, especially Sephiroth who isn't limited to 9999 cap under USB2. You want +DMG rms on them. Sephiroth wants a Katana DMG+ RM, and Vaan wants + DMG dagger RM. Fortunately, you should get both of those when you get them to L99.

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Second, as soon as you are able, you should chuck Acestriker/Battleforged from your damage dealers. Unless every hit is hitting cap, you're missing out on a LOT of damage with +SB gauge RMs, especially Sephiroth who isn't limited to 9999 cap under USB2. You want +DMG rms on them. Sephiroth wants a Katana DMG+ RM, and Vaan wants + DMG dagger RM. Fortunately, you should get both of those when you get them to L99.

Also, be careful to use the right ones. They come in different tiers. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but usually "much more damage" is the best ones (there might be some inconsistencies). You can check here http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf if you want the details.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Bahamut stuff from last fest is in there so I'm assuming based on that. I haven't double checked on Reddit or anything so I could be wrong.
Cardia is not listed on this thread, at least.

edit:

Also, be careful to use the right ones. They come in different tiers. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but usually "much more damage" is the best ones (there might be some inconsistencies). You can check here http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf if you want the details.

Yes, 'much more' is the highest tier. Its also worth noting that much more [ability school] damage is +40%, while much more [weapon type/element/weakness] is +30%.

So, much more damage with Ninja abilities is +40% damage, while much more water damage is +30%. The 30% one looks weaker, but AOSBs does't have an ability type (except Kain's, I guess), so the +40% damage RMs wont boost AOSB damage, while the +30% ones will.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The Cardia Islands come back? That's news to me.

The Transcendent fights return, so Omega Weapon will be back with the rest.

re: Fest

I had skipped all the RoP, but decided to do a pull on my two weakest realms, 1 and XII: I got me Matoya LMR, XII got me Gabranth dualcast LMR. The latter isn't bad, and he's actually in my current XII Torment team, but the team is awful and slow and this will barely move the needle. Matoya's LMR doesn't seem like it would be especially useful, though I suppose I could run her with Vivi fire+ staff and witch abilities. But 1 still remains a wasteland and XII doesn't look like it won't be anything less than painful for the foreseeable future.

Not planning to do any Odins, Torments, or magicites until Full Open is over.

Razorrin:

Before I continue, do you have the Big Five™ Record MAterias? Those are Mako Might (Cloud), Dr. Mog's Teachings (Tyro), Acestriker (Tidus), Battleforged (Ramza), and Gathering Storm (Orlandeua, a.k.a. Thunder God Cid/TGC). 99% of all team compositions use at least 3 of those, if not all of them. I note you have at least 3 of them but you should definitely try to get all.

Re Re Fest: Even though I started late to the party, this fest was awesome! It singlehandedly got me the resources I needed to build a good mid range team to 99, and I had a lot of fun with the Cardia Islands stuff, especially debuffing the Odins. I'm not touching the last parts of those though, too rich for my blood, wouldn't survive. Fun though! I'm cleaning up everything I can before they go away in a couple of hours, so best of luck to you all!

Re Razorrin: Thanks a bunch for the advice!

I have nearly all of them, just missing Orlandeau's RM I'm currently rocking them on my team since I'm at the stage where with proper Buffing and Debuffing my damage dealers are at top power, so getting them there is more convenient and less dangerous then throwing their weapon LM's on, but I have them for when the time comes. Especially for Sephiroth, the moment I can get him Demon's Cross I'll stuff him with whatever boosts his damage the most! Unfortunately, unlocking all the good stuff requires me to grind out energy in the realm dungeons, so I have to take my time to get there. Hopefully all the Mithril I'm getting will be useful on a banner in the future!

Also, I had just recently taken a serious look at the Record Sphere upgrading, and [Holy XVI], I did not appreciate just how important those Motes were up until that moment. I'm hunting down as many of those suckers as I can for my current team, I want to get those really broken ones ASAP, like very occasional Doublecast white magic, or damage boosts based on enemy debuffs. I've got my work cut out for me! I at least have enough 4*'s to max everyone but Tyro's jobs before getting to legend, but rest assured I'm grabbing the priority of DblWht first!

Anyways, I'm currently in a good place, I just have to be smart in events and make good use of debuffing techniques, and I'll be clearing all the good stuff in no time!

Oct 25, 2017
Wind weak odin down. Now 2/8 ice and wind.
Bartz usb1 aasb lmr
Tyro usb4 lmr
Zack csb USB
Elarra USB1
Zidane usb1 aasb aosb lmr2
Fabula mage. Syldra

Chose zidane lmr2 doublecast from lens selection. Got annoyed and pulled the trigger on that. Avoided r5ing snowspell and storm assault, thankfully. Did however also take a wind sword artifact.

This is like my ice victory, running basically a capped imperil for most of the battle. When zidane can take a rage 3 down to 0 in one turn, huge help.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I can't believe I almost cleared Merciless Weapon (Ancient), and I get hit with a fixed damage ultima dealing 10,000 damage. Gotta bring out Aerith and build her up a little, I suppose, since I need that Last Stand, and I have the SB that provides it. I'm so close to that 700HP accessory I can almost taste it!

Edit: Here's a fun thread question, What was the first thing you bought with Anima Lenses, and how useful was it to one of your teams? Conversely, what was the first Lvl 3 Anima Lense SB you got, and how worthwhile was the time to get it?

Edit Again: YEAH, I did it! It got really dicey at the end, since Sephiroth and Ramza were lying in the dirt after taking death spells, and Aerith and Elarra were keeping Vaan going with just their Soul Breaks, and Omega kept last standing!

It was literally, A Last Stand-off!!!

Ironically, I stole the attack that killed me last time, so I could've ran with Tyro and it would've been fine if I did that again, but all's well that ends well!

Vaan USB LM LM5
Sephiroth USB LM
Ramza SSB
Elarra USB LM
Aerith USB

It's probably unnecessary to post stats with such low level content, but I'm proud, darn it!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Here's a fun thread question, What was the first thing you bought with Anima Lenses, and how useful was it to one of your teams? Conversely, what was the first Lvl 3 Anima Lense SB you got, and how worthwhile was the time to get it?
i
Serah ssb let me take torment xiii from 70,% to a sub 40 kill.
Noctis ssb and ignis lmr let me take xv torment from 80 to a sub 50 kill

USB I'm a ways away hah.

Full Nines

Apr 10, 2018
On an unrelated note I got a FFVI shared damage sb from the daily draw.

What a coincidence, I got a FFVII shared damage SB today, haha.

For the Buy 2 and Select a USB draw, it seems like the most recommended one by far is Tyro's USB4. Since this lacks an Attack boost, I'm guessing this really only shines with a physical Chain 2.0 (or Zack's Chain)? I only have the Holy and Dark Chain 2.0's, but I guess it'd be a good idea to still get this in case I happen another a future Chain, eh?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Just a quick question about the Viability of Ability Buffs/Debuffs.

So, since Dances are some of the best at reducing stats, Is it a worthwhile investment to get the 5* Def/Res and Atk/Mag ones? I'm thinking of having Ramza do full break, and Elarra and Tyro doing whichever dance combo is neccessary to maximize damage/survivability, and I was wondering if it's overkill to try to debuff the same stat three times with three effects that wouldn't overlap, like for example, All Four+Def&Res+Def, or even debuff all stats twice, like All Four+Def&Res+Atk&Mag, or if I should instead just invest in honing 4* Dances with significant debuffs in specific stats, just to focus on longer utility.

And also, do any of the 5* Bard abilities stack with other single stat buffs, due to the weird way they scale? And have any of you found these abilities to have lasting usefulness? I understand a few characters have Record LM's that improve buffs, such as Tyro, and I'm curious if ability buffs would be a workable substitute or additive if one is unlucky in gaining a good buff SB.

Also:

Never chase for your favourites.

Even if you have 500 mithril.

All you get is a stick up the arse with DeNA printed on it.

This is truth in ANY Gatcha game missing a pity system! I play DFFOO pretty regularly, and I thank the high heavens I can stock up on Gems to make sure I get Vayne and Zack when they inevitably show up in August. If I couldn't pity them, and I got supremely unlucky in getting their EX weapon (rarest weapon, gives a special ability and best stats), I would be torn apart!

I'm not looking forward to pulling with 50 Mithril on any normal banners anytime soon, that's for sure! I'm going to need to eventually, but I don't think I have it in me to grind out like 70 Realm dungeons, and have nothing useable to show for it in a draw! I'd much rather just save those for the crazy events that actually guarantee something, like the USB event in the summer fest. Although, Onion Knight is going to be tempting...