• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So the key was to delay Vincent chain until the 8 sec or so, maybe 3 heat offering, at least one sticking. That gave Terra and alphinaud time to build gauge. I fired terras aasb immediately when ready. Alphinaud I waited and used his USB and then immediately his aasb, so the USB finisher hit for 19,999 x 5 right after hitting phase 3.

I felt super proud of this as I didn't see a mage only build.

Also had Vincent with magic breakdown not sure if that did anything useful.

Fabula mage
Mombomb as magicite for the imperial around 12 sec.
Vincent csb csb reflect bsb

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Tried syldra again this morning. Got her to around 15-20%!
Switched to this:
- Sora USB/AOSB/SSS/ Much more ice
- Celes USB/AOSB/SSS/ Much more vs weakness
- Elarra USB / DMT
- Snow CSB/LS BSB/ Banishing Strike/ LifeSyphon/AceStriker
- Laguna SSB/Freezing Snipe, Icy offering/BattleBorn

Managed to fire Sora AOSB just before High Stakes and Celes just after. Quickly after that, chain went out and I got a double AOE that triggered last stand then killed most of my party. I need to manage Elarra USB better for this part (maybe I should drop DMT and give her something for gauge building). I'm still a bit worried about my DPS going to shit even if I survive that part though.

All in all, it's still super encouraging!

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
Jux:

If you don't have Last Stand, you have maybe 3 turns in Phase 3 before you get overwhelmed. That's because you'll be eating a cycle of 75% max HP damage, followed by an attack that stacks Wind IMperil, and than a massively powerful piercing wind AoE. Without Last Stand, You basically have to heal to full HP after every single attack. And even with Last Stand, you'll only be able to tank two attacks before needing to heal to full and/or re-apply Last Stand. not even Elarra USB Regenga can overcome that assault.

I know Snow BSSB has Last Stand, but without an entruster and not being instant to counter Syldra's insane speed, you won't last long if you have to rely on that.

So your best bet, sadly, is to time both of your AOSBs before High Stakes (fire them off at the same time during someone else's animation - timing is crucial!) to blow up Phase 3 and hopefully grind it out to the end.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I'm a bit confused. If I manage to trigger both AOSB just before High Stake, the damage alone will skip P3 entirely? Or is it just to maximize damage before high stakes kicks in?
In my attempt, both the AOSB before and after HS did around 80k x3 damage (my memory may be a bit fuzzy). I'm not even sure why it did the same damage even though Syldra's defense should have been buffed between them (maybe a difference in atk between Sora and Celes...). In that case I'm not even sure I understand why firing them both before HS should make a difference.

I must be missing something :D

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
If you hit for 80,000x3 during High Stakes, it would be 99,999x3 without High Stakes (unless those 80,000 hits were critical hits). That extra 60,000 damage before the P3 assault begins can mean the difference between victory and defeat.

Remember that, at most, Phase 3 starts when Syldra has 600,000 HP left. So timing your AOSBs as close to that threshold to blow up P3 will mean you have very little HP left to trim off. But as noted, every turn in P3 is deadly, so the less time spent in it, the better.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
All right, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. Now I just have to practice doing it right and maybe farming a bit more magia perhaps create a new ice artefact for Celes.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
ShinUltima I've made a few attempts at Slydra now and I've gotten close a few times with this:

Sa73Gvh.png

CX79kjL.png

K5ekJQj.png

Rosa - USB2
Celes - BSB2/USB/Arcane
Squall - Ice Glint/BSB2/USB2
Laguna - imperil USB/Chain
Aerith - USB2

Everyone is dived (I don't want to talk about diving Rosa...). Celes/Squall/Laguna have HP/ATK/RES waters applied, Aerith HP water, nothing on Rosa. Very low magia on everyone, this actually got me to set up an auto clicker which I'm doing now to address that. I can probably clear this without but no reason not to spend a day or two or whatever auto'ing 200 levels for mainstat/HP to make it easier. Squall/Celes/Laguna both have two +ice pieces equipped, and that ice artifact sword is maxed.

On my few attempts I got close, but mostly failed due to just not timing my last stand heals in phase 3 correctly, or I should have popped Celes' Arcane and didn't, or I got super unlucky with Icy Offering not imperiling etc. I could also probably stand to tweak RM's; I might still cap or close to cap with Squall to drop a w-cast spellblade RM on him or something maybe. I've got Celes' enIce LMR but she caps almost immediately so I think she's better off with the +SB gauge against weakness and w-cast LMRs instead. I brought her BSB2 because one time I ran out of SSS hones (it's r5) but it only happened the one time, I feel like generally the fight's gonna be over one way or the other by then. I feel like going glint into BSB2 with Squall is making a good difference over just running the BSB2; I haven't tried running his USB2 (the one with 4-8 hit chase) instead his BSB2, it's probably more consistent but I'd also have to hone my 2nd SSS from r3 to r5 to run it and I feel like it's kind of a wash. Laguna does Icy Offering into Chain, then casts his imperil USB with extra bars when available. Aerith USB2 is a no brainer, and I also have her AoE heal LMR which is great.

I'm running a 2nd healer because Slydra's DPS is still nuts, I don't know that running an entrustbot or something really does me any better? Also magia might help but I have to run DMT on one of the two healers, I can't survive quite long enough to get them up normally. I tried using Elarra first instead of Rosa running bard stuff between USB casts but once Chain is up I'm capping so it felt kind of useless?

I'm pretty sure I can clear it with this team (and magia will help), but I"m certainly open to suggestions. My only other potential dark horse option is crazy, but I've got a fully decked out Noctis with AASB. Ice is *not* one of the elements that triggers his w-cast and he has no enelement, but with chain up and his 100% crit etc I bet the 6* ice samurai ability would break cap for 5 hits which might help with savage in phase 3, but I feel like that's realllllly a stretch. Rosa definitely feels a bit awkward on the team, I've got most/all of the other top healer options, something like Deuce or Relm would also be good but I think the shortcharge I'm getting from Rosa is overall gonna do me more good?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
So the key was to delay Vincent chain until the 8 sec or so, maybe 3 heat offering, at least one sticking. That gave Terra and alphinaud time to build gauge. I fired terras aasb immediately when ready. Alphinaud I waited and used his USB and then immediately his aasb, so the USB finisher hit for 19,999 x 5 right after hitting phase 3.

I felt super proud of this as I didn't see a mage only build.

Also had Vincent with magic breakdown not sure if that did anything useful.

Fabula mage
Mombomb as magicite for the imperial around 12 sec.
Vincent csb csb reflect bsb

Thanks for the info. After tinkering a little bit today and struggling with Alphinaud's damage output, I think I'm going to try this setup but subbing in Axel for Alphinaud. The issue is I only have his Awakening (first world problems) so once that expires he's got nothing else to do. But his focus on fire damage may make up for it.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Was toying with Wind weak odin on my break and got him to p3 pretty easily.

Accidently re cast Zack chain instead of imperil BSB (d'oh) and that killed my DPS and chain, obviously. Should be able to clear later today when I try again.

I think I'm going to pass on pulling on the fun in the sun banner. Have 99 mythril right now, and I'm just going to save until the XIII banner with 3 awakenings on it.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
Wind weak odin down, he was pretty tame compared to fire weak or water weak imo. Of course, having Cloud do stupid damage with his USB1/USB2 combo sort of trivializes things. Popped 2 casts of USB1 in phase 3 and it was hitting for 34k x 5 hits. Was right down to the wire though, Zantetsuken was at count 1 before Bartz launched his AOSB for 20k x3 while under Elarra+Aerith Quickcast.

If he was only under 1 QC, I don't think I would have made it.

I'll probably try earth weak odin next, since I can roll Bartz/Noctis with Tifa USB1 for Radiant Shield + Haste on a Ingus chain.

Last edited:

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
MrDaravon:

My first instinct looking at that team is "not enough DPS". Chuck Rosa for someone who can actually do damage or an entruster for Aerith (I forget: Do you have Ignis BSSB?)

Squall USB2 and BSSB2 are comparable DPS, BUT Squal USB2 is more consistent. Personally, I only got one win using Squall BSSB2 thanks to crazy double casts. I switched to his USB4 and never looked back. Hone up a second SSS (only Ability Double users really "need" R5, and even then, you can get away with R4 if the rest of your DPS is sufficient) to R4 and use his USB2, it will be far more consistent.

I personally would give Laguna Gathering Storm and Aerith DMT. He needs to stack those imperils ASAP to counter the Bar-Ices which will kill SB generation for Celes, then drop chain and USB1 as quickly as possible.

Not going to lie though - no double AOSBs to blow up Phase 3/High Stakes is serious Hard Mode territory.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
MrDaravon:

My first instinct looking at that team is "not enough DPS". Chuck Rosa for someone who can actually do damage or an entruster for Aerith (I forget: Do you have Ignis BSSB?)

Squall USB2 and BSSB2 are comparable DPS, BUT Squal USB2 is more consistent. Personally, I only got one win using Squall BSSB2 thanks to crazy double casts. I switched to his USB4 and never looked back. Hone up a second SSS (only Ability Double users really "need" R5, and even then, you can get away with R4 if the rest of your DPS is sufficient) to R4 and use his USB2, it will be far more consistent.

I personally would give Laguna Gathering Storm and Aerith DMT. He needs to stack those imperils ASAP to counter the Bar-Ices which will kill SB generation for Celes, then drop chain and USB1 as quickly as possible.

Not going to lie though - no double AOSBs to blow up Phase 3/High Stakes is serious Hard Mode territory.

I do have Ignis' BSB. I feel like I'd really struggle with only one healer but I can give that a go. I'm assuming he'd be an entrustbot for Aerith mostly? I wind up capping so quickly that his command buffs I don't think are that relevant other than the instant cast one, but I don't know I'd be able to take him off entrust duty for Aerith for that. I'm assuming OK pUSB doesn't stack with the ATK buff from Laguna's Chain which makes Ignis the better option for that reason? (I'm failing to find the ID # for Laguna's Chain right now)

I looked and the ONLY other physical Ice arcane I have is Firion's. I do also have his w-cast Samurai LMR but nothing else for the guy. Noooooot sure it's worth bringing him just for that though?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Alright y'all, the Full Throttle relic pull is over in three days, if you want to spend a few bucks to do it, you have that much time to do so.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on which of the three-packs are worthwhile? I don't know if I'm willing to put in the gems to do it, but it'd be nice to know if any of them are particularly useful.

While I already have good stuff for Vaan, having his Mag and Def burst sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't know if it's worth the time investment to get it out in a bossfight. All I know is that I roll with a physical gang, and most bosses have their most dangerous attacks use magic.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Alright y'all, the Full Throttle relic pull is over in three days, if you want to spend a few bucks to do it, you have that much time to do so.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on which of the three-packs are worthwhile? I don't know if I'm willing to put in the gems to do it, but it'd be nice to know if any of them are particularly useful.

While I already have good stuff for Vaan, having his Mag and Def burst sounds like a good idea in theory, but I don't know if it's worth the time investment to get it out in a bossfight. All I know is that I roll with a physical gang, and most bosses have their most dangerous attacks use magic.
The current FT draw is so outdated its not worth pulling on it.

JP got a second FT to replace that one, and each new set is an AOSB/USB for the protag, and USB for a healer. We are expecting the second one to show up for us on the 24th

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The current FT draw is so outdated its not worth pulling on it.

JP got a second FT to replace that one, and each new set is an AOSB/USB for the protag, and USB for a healer. We are expecting the second one to show up for us on the 24th

Excellent, thanks for the advice! Hopefully there can be a character that flows well with my current Wind/Dark stuff going on, although in saying that It's probably going to be cloud, considering he splits those elements pretty constantly these days!

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
So, since the fest is over, I figured I would use my mythril to finish up my realm draws (I know it's not necessarily the best bang for the bucks but my OCD prevented me from not doing all the realm pulls).
Got mostly BSBs, LMRs and various dupes.

Then came the FFX pull ...
4iTcx9Ch.jpg

I did not really need this one but I kinda wanted it because I like Tidus so i'm pretty happy about this.
With Bartz AASB and Rikku CSB I guess it can be the start of a proper Odin team when I get there.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So, since the fest is over, I figured I would use my mythril to finish up my realm draws (I know it's not necessarily the best bang for the bucks but my OCD prevented me from not doing all the realm pulls).
Got mostly BSBs, LMRs and various dupes.

Then came the FFX pull ...

I did not really need this one but I kinda wanted it because I like Tidus so i'm pretty happy about this.
With Bartz AASB and Rikku CSB I guess it can be the start of a proper Odin team when I get there.

Funny enough, I was inspired to clean out a few Realm draws by this, and I got Seymour's dark resist down burst SB from FFX, so thanks for having your luck rub off on me!

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Syldra question (again... sorry about that!)
Are there character slots where SB gauge generation is clearly higher? I'm falling a bit short on gauge for casting both my AOSB before High stakes comes. Currently my DPS are slot 1 and 5.

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Syldra question (again... sorry about that!)
Are there character slots where SB gauge generation is clearly higher? I'm falling a bit short on gauge for casting both my AOSB before High stakes comes. Currently my DPS are slot 1 and 5.
Yes, slots 2,3,4 get hit more often.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
Elemental draws are definitely not worth it for me. I'm at the stage where it's AASBs or bust. The realm draws are also not worth it, since It's highly unlikely I'll pull what few AASBs there are in the pool right now. The handful I've done have been LMRs and Alphinuad Glint - good on their own, but not enough to make a substantial difference in Torment. Won't even consider these until they refresh to have more AASBs in the pools.

Mr.Daravon:

Capping on regular hits isn't what you're bringing Ignis for. It's so that when Syldra is in Savage and especially during High Stakes that you continue to cap.

An additional note about Ignis: His entry is ATK/RES. The RES boost will help you tank the non-piercing stuff more easily. Only useful for Phase 1 though, but it means that you should be able to weather all attacks up to Phase 1 Turn 5 Thundaja (with only Wall+Shellga for mitigation) without needing to use healer USB.

(Disclaimer: My current Syldra team is Ignis BSSB/LMR, Squall USB4/AOSB, Elarra USB1, Sora USB/AOSB, Laguna CSB/USB1)

Anyway, yes, you'll be entrusting to Aerith exclusively. With HP Boons and Wards, you should be okay without much healing until Phase 3/High Stakes, which is where the real fight begins. After buffing one DPS (in my case it was Squall since he didn't have En-Ice), he goes Wrath->Entrust Elarra exclusively. I can finish without Last Stand, though, since I have two AOSBs. With only one, Aerith is safer to use. But you're still going to be on a time limit in Phase 3, since every turn when you're not at full HP is going to be lethal.

It's too bad you don't have Firion's bUSB - that thing is great on its own, but with his LMR/AOSB? Definite Syldra killer alongside your current tech (also good for II Torment).

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
One thing to note, since one bar ice makes Syldra neutral to Ice, it reduces your soul break gauge gain considerably. I put MM on Laguna to work around this, after that point just the Offering and SSB when ready are enough.
That's a good point. I currently only use one MM and I put Laguna on AceStriker but I end up with more gauge that I need for him so I can probably switch him to DMT.

Oct 25, 2017
Elemental draws are definitely not worth it for me. I'm at the stage where it's AASBs or bust. The realm draws are also not worth it, since It's highly unlikely I'll pull what few AASBs there are in the pool right now.

I will pull but you're right the chance of anything useful hitting is exceedingly low.
Dark- seph lmr seifer shield bsb
Holy aasbs agrias imperil USB
Water tidus aasb kimhari USB wakka USB
Lightning Shan aasb prompto USB
Earth tifa lmr double cast galuf csb

Kinda slim pickings there. I have teams but not time for all but holy weak odin.

Oct 30, 2017
Hope Arcane from daily draw, thank you very much. He's already dived with his Ultra, Overstrike, both Burst, and holy infusion Materia. He was my secondary DPS on my Ark team already.

Oh, and last week I also got Iris dual cast Materia and Galuf eChain from daily, which actually completes my gen 2 chains (wow!). On a good roll with high caliber dailies.

Do we know what's actually on these elemental banners? I think I'm in a similar boat as ShinUltima where I don't really care if it's not Woke. I can get better ultras, for sure, but nothing that would have a meaningful impact. I guess the only thing I would find interesting at this point is some kind of holy radiant shield, which I don't believe exists yet.

Last edited:

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I'm not done with 5* magicite yet but I will probably only pull on a few banners
- Ice: Because I still haven't beat syldra
- Dark... or maybe not. I only have Lakshmi to go and I haven't even really tried.
- Holy: My holy is super bad so I hope I will get at least a nice toy (a chain would be awesome...)

Other than that, I'm currently only looking for gen2 chains and AASB (who isnt?) so I'm not gonna chase them on those banners anyway.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Probably outdated at this point, should I do any prep work for 4* magicites in order to tackle 5* Magicites?

I have a Lv99 copy of each of the 4*, except Evrae which I have 2 Lv99s, and Lv99 each of the 3*. I have not done any of the inheritance stuff yet, should I read up on them before I proceed to 5*?

Which one is the easiest 5* to start with? I do have most of the tools, Bartz AASB, Elara USB1 and 2, Tyro USB1 and 4, Cloud and Friends, Elemental chains (some Gen1 and some Gen2, but covers all elements).

Oct 30, 2017
Woke expired. Chain expired. Hones expired. Rosa and Ramza... expired...

But the swordsman still had a full bar of grease in reserve.

"Absorb power in the sky and strike! Lightning Stab!"

Thrice to fell the dark magicite knight.

My first Odin kill. Dark, Fire, or Wind teams are next. Cecil, Riku, Terra, Bartz, and Cloud stand ready.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Aaaand Elemental and Full Throttle tomorrow.
Now I really have to decide what I'm gonna choose for FT. Choices are hard :)

Edit: Since I'm really weak on the Holy side, I'm considering the holy options (based on this: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/114492-final-fantasy-record-keeper/77250276)
- FF I: WoL
- FF II: Firion
- FF IV: Pecil
(I already have Ramza USB)

Or

I'm getting VII. Because VII and also because I have everything for Cloud BUT his USB1/AOSB and I don't have a healer for VII torment...

Not sure what's best. Cloud seems like the funnest to use though :)

Last edited:

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
Shadow780:

Pick your strongest element. For the 4* of that element, farm the following:

- Physical Empower with L15 Empower Element inherited
- Magic Empower with L15 Mag Boon inherited
- Dampen with L10 Dampen Element inherited
- Gizamaluk with L5 Blade Ward inherited
- Evrae w/ L5 HP Boon inherited

You can use this deck against both of the physical- and magic-resistant 5* magicites. Just switch which one is main. Once you get into the 5* cycle, you farm up that element repeatedly for inheritance and then move onto the next one.

It is usually recommended to start with the lightning (earth-weak) magicites and start the cycle from there. You sound like you're strong enough to start almost anywhere though (except the wind/ice-weak ones, those you'll definitely want the ice/fire-weak magicites to use against).

Jux:

Opportunity to get Ultra Instinct Cloud (assuming you already have his AASB/dualcast wind LMR/Glint or Glint+) is too important to pass up. Besides, the I,II and IV Jump start select options for Holy are terrible. Seriously. P.Cecil is awful as Holy DPS, and Firion and WoL with those relics aren't much better. Pull on the Holy elemental banner or wait for more Holy AASBs to show up. Get VII set from Jump Start and never look back.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Opportunity to get Ultra Instinct Cloud (assuming you already have his AASB/dualcast wind LMR/Glint or Glint+) is too important to pass up. Besides, the I,II and IV Jump start select options for Holy are terrible. Seriously. P.Cecil is awful as Holy DPS, and Firion and WoL with those relics aren't much better. Pull on the Holy elemental banner or wait for more Holy AASBs to show up. Get VII set from Jump Start and never look back.

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAD!

You're right though.

Jux

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Thanks, that conforts me in my choice. I may have been a bit optimistic by saying that I have all Cloud other stuff though. I forgot that AASB were a thing :D
But I do have glint/wcast/usb2 so it's already pretty good I'd say. And if the holy stuff from FT sucks that much then it's an easy choice.

All this makes my plan for future pulls pretty easy now:
- Holy
- Missing Gen2 chains
- Medica for Torment
- Tyro USB4/ElarraUSB2 (maybe? seems like future AASB may be an alternate choice... I'm not even at Odin yet though so I still have some time for that)

Ahnez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the same selection from JP (which is 99% likely to be), I have few options with no dupes. Only II, III, IV, XII, XIV and XV are all new. 3/3 on V and X, and many 2/3.

I'll probably just pick VII, only new relic would be Cloud's AOSB - but thats the only thing I'm missing for him

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
So close to taking down earth weak odin, got him within an AOSB of dying, or an RNG cast of Bartz's spellblades, but ran out time. If only it weren't for that stupid interrupt, this fight would have been in the bag.

I was running Noctis AASB as well, but found it too unreliable since Odin gets up to +3 Rage real fast in this fight.

I probably need to give Galuf +earth RM and Meteor Crush instead of Gaia Rush for extra damage and wrath less with Ingus and switch him to earth sabre quicker.

Basically loading all damage through Bartz and Radiant shield.

Aerith Curada/Hastega (USB2)
Bartz (BSB3, USB1, AASB, AOSB)
Galuf Ironfist Earth, (USB)
Ingus Wrath, Earth Sabre (CSB, BSB)
Ignis Wrath, Entrust, (BSB)

What do you all think, is it better to AOSB in p3 or just before at the end of P2?

Oct 29, 2017
Aw man. Just got earth-weak Odin down to a pixel and then died because Haste ran out and I couldn't heal in time. Ingus' Awakening is a beast. Odin #4 is going down tonight.