• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
ar_2022_06feature-1kgcwf.png

ar_2022_06feature-40ydrj.png

ar_2022_06feature-6o2e7b.png

As every year, Square Enix has updated the worldwide sales figures of its flagship series Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest in its annual report. The addition of the Kingdom Hearts series is new.

In the financial year 2022 (April 1st 2021 - March 31st 2022) the FF series has shipped over 9 million additional units (from 164m to 173m)
The Dragon Quest series has an plus of 2 million units (from 83m to 85m)
The Kingdom Hearts series is included in the annual report for the first time, but we know that before it was at 35 million units worldwide as of November 2021 (https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/tdrblog/detail/pr211110/).

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts would have been much higher with actual ports on Switch, oh well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
So that means GTA5 is close to catching up with the entire Final Fantasy series right?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm excited to see DQ do better outside of Japan given the success of XI. The perception of DQ as a "uniquely Japanese" phenomenon is just totally wrong and the more people realize that the happier we'll all be.

PeterThePanda

Jun 10, 2020
Spain
Yeah , I dont think this is surprising when it comes to sales.If you were to ask someone 3 Square Enix franchises , chances are the 3 franchises are the ones they mention.

Im still surprised though, that Dragon Quest is number 2. I keep forgetting how much of a behemoth the franchise is in the East, but Im glad its working its magic in the West as well.

So that means GTA5 is close to catching up with the entire Final Fantasy series right?

Geninuely insane how one single game can rack up the same sales as THE RPG franchise , but that comes with the territory of the series that embodies the word "videogame".

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see DQ do better outside of Japan given the success of XI. The perception of DQ as a "uniquely Japanese" phenomenon is just totally wrong and the more people realize that the happier we'll all be.

They'd have to bother porting the games to the west. DQX getting a bespoke offline version with no announced plans for a translation is wild.

They also haven't bothered porting the majority of the mainline games to platforms that are popular in the west (1-3 and 11 are on Switch, only 11 is on Xbox/PS4/Steam)

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The ratio of FF to DQ sales is pleasantly surprising considering how underrated DQ is outside of Japan

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda funny that for their Dragon Quest press release they used a game that isn't actually available to English audiences.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
so like 9m endwalker sales? doubt ff7r sold much at this stage

Endwalker would be like 2 million based on available stats, then some amount of the base game. And FF7R had the PC port, plus Pixel Remasters, Stranger of Paradise and any other older games that kept selling.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Good stuff.. These numbers are gonna shoot up big time in the next few years!

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
Endwalker would be like 2 million based on available stats, then some amount of the base game. And FF7R had the PC port, plus Pixel Remasters, Stranger of Paradise and any other older games that kept selling.
would be funny if they counted all expacs from the endwalker pack individually, so like +5 games per copy x)

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
We never got an update on FF7R besides 5 million in 2020, right? Obviously it's good sales but knowing Square I wonder if they expected more.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts would have been much higher with actual ports on Switch, oh well.
I agree. Instead of 36 million shipped, it would have been 136M units sold thanks to the Switch. These developers are so dumb. James Cameron should release Avatar 2 on Switch first if he wants to beat Avengers Endgame box office.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021

You're not getting 4 million copies sold from a remaster that's readily available everywhere else. Just not going to happen. That'd be over 10% of the entire franchise's sales over the course of its whole existence in the highest selling consoles in history.

would be funny if they counted all expacs from the endwalker pack individually, so like +5 games per copy x)

Probably not the case since all other SKUs cease to be once a new expansion hits. Once Endwalker came out, there is no Shadowbringers SKU anymore. Endwalker is the present XIV SKU.

ok

I agree. Instead of 36 million shipped, it would have been 136M units sold thanks to the Switch. These developers are so dumb. James Cameron should release Avatar 2 on Switch first if he wants to beat Avengers Endgame box office.

You almost had me there lmao

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm not an expert on finances, but scrolling through the report it seems the company is doing very well. Next year will be an interesting one, I really like the mid budget titles aproach, hope it ends up working.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
They'd have to bother porting the games to the west. DQX getting a bespoke offline version with no announced plans for a translation is wild.

They also haven't bothered porting the majority of the mainline games to platforms that are popular in the west (1-3 and 11 are on Switch, only 11 is on Xbox/PS4/Steam)
Yes, I'm aware of this problem. I think at this point it's a chicken-or-egg situation in the sense that the series got off to something of an awkward start in the west and then has never truly recovered.

Regardless of the cause, I don't really know what people who don't speak Japanese are supposed to do if they find themselves interested in the series. If you want to play Dragon Quest V, for example, your options are a) piracy, b) importing the Japanese PS2 version to play a fan translation (or the SFC version, but I don't see why you would do this unless you were really committed to playing the original), or c) paying an actually frightening amount of money to play a controversial official translation on a now-deprecated console. DQV is the best and most acclaimed game in the series, yet accessing it in English continues to rest on piracy, jumping through a lot of hoops, or dropping low triple digits on a remake of a game now thirty years old.

It's sort of ironic because the Erdrick trilogy being very easy to access in the US is going to lead people to believe that the whole series (sans XI and maybe IX) is very antiquated, which is very far from the truth.

Don't even get me started on DQX!

Oct 25, 2017
One would hope that Square would look over realize they're leaving money on the table. lol

How much does it cost, though, and how much longer would it sell before Switch 2 comes out? They need to plan their evergreen ports based on estimates of when the next platforms will be out, and just imagine how stupendously wrong everyone has been about when the successor will be out.

I can imagine KH3 being a lot of effort to get running well on Switch, and they could think that Switch's days are numbered.

They are almost certainly getting ports, but their rationale for doing the PC and phone versions of the Pixel Remasters is also likely the argument for why to do a larger effort of some kind for DQ rather than doing a shit port of DS code that breaks all the time. They get way better results when they put in the effort to do actual Unreal or Unity ports for their evergreen titles than they do rather than one-off ports that they have difficulty updating and maintaining, but they are "only" doing ~10 legacy ports per year right now, which is more than any other publisher but also means that getting their core catalog in a good state takes almost a full decade.

Last edited:

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Kingdom Hearts is actually a lot lower than I expected. I always envisioned it as this juggernaut of a franchise.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Seriously. Way to rub it in guys, thanks! Are they really afraid of having two MMOs running outside Japan or something?

But good news overall.
They already have two lol. I really recommend everyone just play with the fantranslation right now. You can do the whole base game with it.

Oct 25, 2017
So 9 million in a timeframe where only ENDWALKER and FF7R PC launched? Maybe they add in FF:SoP as well but even then very solid numbers.

The six different Pixel Remasters. You can buy it as a bundle on Steam but those are still six distinct games, and I imagine they sold hundreds of thousands of bundles or equivalent piecemeals on mobile, which probably contributes a million or two to the total number there.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I expected higher KH numbers.
But in all fairness, the serie is still young compared to DQ and FF.

We never got an update on FF7R besides 5 million in 2020, right? Obviously it's good sales but knowing Square I wonder if they expected more.

I don't know how many copies Remake sold but it certainly had an effect where people bought the Original after finishing Remake. So Square probably took into consideration the Remake effect for older games getting a boost in sales.

From what we've heard, Square is satisfied with the Remake numbers. (Sales + Sony exclusivity $$$ + Older title boost)
I'm not too worried about Remake.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how many copies Remake sold but it certainly had an effect where people bought the Original after finishing Remake. So Square probably took into consideration the Remake effect for older games getting a boost in sales.

From what we've heard, Square is satisfied with the Remake numbers. (Sales + Sony exclusivity $$$ + Older title boost)

Was there actual exclusivity money from Sony, or just the free PR from various conferences in exchange for the temporary exclusivity?

We only know 5 million in the first four months, before the PS5 version, Epic version that had some type of sales guarantee that we know nothing about, and the PC version. I'd genuinely be shocked if it is below 8 million, and is probably closer to around 10.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
I expected higher KH numbers.
But in all fairness, the serie is still young compared to DQ and FF.

Forgot about the EGS exclusivity $$$ lol. From the leaked document, Epic was throwing money at these contracts and FF7R is probably the most high profile one they have done so far.

OP
OP
AEF1907

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Good stuff.. These numbers are gonna shoot up big time in the next few years!

Sales in the next fiscal year is probably going to be pretty crazy.
FFXVI + FF7 Rebirth + Theatrhythm Final Bar Line + hopefully Pixel Remaster console ports and FF Tactics Remaster.
FFXIV 7.0 probably won't come out until after March 31, but the pre-release hype will probably boost sales of the previous expansions like it did with Endwalker.
And who knows what else they have in the background.