• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
So I've been on a Final Fantasy kick recently and just started 5 after completing 4. In 4, I had a goddamn laundry list of spells Rydia had, but were completely goddamn useless in almost every scenario. But one sticks out in particular as exceptionally useless.

ffiii-toad-spell.jpg

The Toad spell. Who is actually using this spell for anything? It only ever gets used on YOU. Same goes for the dumbass Pig spell also in 4.

I also strongly dislike the Steal ability in most games (often just misses and wastes a turn) and the Blue Mage type characters for the most part (except for Quistis. Her Blue Mage spells were incredible).

What abilities and spells from Final Fantasy do you never use or just plain hate?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Toad spell in Final Fantasy II is great for a secret mini game.

Also how that game works in leveling up. Easy to reach max level super early on lol.

Okay. Spells I never actually use. I'm gonna say Silence or what it called mute?. Don't know why, I just rather heal then take away their magic casting abilities.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any buffs. I don't need buffs, I've been squelching caterpillars for 20 hours in the first dungeon I'm overlevelled to fuck. THAT's my buff.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Death. It costs too much to use on normal enemies and most bosses are immune to it.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I always feel like in FF games, by the time mage-types start getting Gravity spells (Gravity/Demi, Gravija, etc), there are always better damage options available. Almost no need for percentage based damage.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Toad and Mini are spells I only really use just for fun against random enemies, and not often. Death is one that I also rarely use although occasionally it's one of the best ways to deal with an enemy.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Also. Element resistance boosting spells from Final Fantasy 1. They don't do squat.

I still take the same amount of Fire/Ice/thunder magic damage.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Pretty much any buffs. I don't need buffs, I've been squelching caterpillars for 20 hours in the first dungeon I'm overlevelled to fuck. THAT's my buff.
buffs, they are completely useless.

When I first played the series, I would overgrind to the point it was the same.

But nowadays, especially with the older FF games, buffs help a ton.

For an example Haste + Temper in FF1 makes Warriors/Knights and Monks/Masters OP.

Status effects in most Final Fantasy are tremendously useless compared to other RPGs.

FFXIII is the one that status effects helped a ton - I managed to kill the final boss with Poison lol.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno how people get through endgame fights without haste, shell, and protect at least.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Outside of the vanish+doom trick in ffvi, vanish(or invisible) is something i never used.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually people mention blue magic in general but there are actually some pretty OP spells like for example Mighty Guard, which you can even obtain really early in FF IX.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Don't underestimate Blue Mages. With a little bit of work, most of the FFs with a good true Blue Mage character (or ability) can be trivialised with a good selection of spells.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Steal is extremely useful in a lot of FFs to get equipment earlier

I almost never use status effect stuff. One thing about junctioning which was good was how you could turn those spells into passive abilities for your attack.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I never use any of the Barrier spells in FF7, which I've always found amusing because the developers thought they were important enough to add 2 entire bars per character for both physical and magic barriers in the battle menu.

The New Threat mod changes all that, but you don't need the barriers in the original game.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
"Damage" or "one hit kill" type status effects. Damage stuff like poisons will do mixroscopic amounts of damage, whereas something like "death" or "eject" or whatever will miss on anything it'd be useful on.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing as a Black Mage in FFXIV right now and I feel like only 2 Blizzard spells are actually worthwhile, since you'd typically want to swap back to cycling fire pretty quickly or re-up the thunder debuff. I'll admit I could be missing the "efficient" cycle though.

In the single player games though I'd say I barely touched Reflect since having access to cure spells was too much of a handy thing to sacrifice. It's very fun in the games where you can attack your own Reflected party members and deal double damage on the enemy, though. And yeah the gravity spells come too late to really matter (and tend to miss most bosses IIRC)

Steal is fine in the games that give you a bit more info on the percentage and if the enemy is even holding anything. Upgrading it to Mug is nice, too.

Last edited:

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
A bigger issue is all the spells that you don't want to waste mana on in normal fights but which bosses are immune to making them worthless.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It's crazy how good magic feels to use in KH vs. FF tbh. The weirdest design decision was making FFXV's spells essentially nukes that also stunned your party who you have no control over when it comes to positioning.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Alot of JRPGs are really bad about normal battles just needing simple attack/offensive magic with the occasional cure and don't require buffs or debuffs, and then the bosses are usually immune to 95-100% of debuffs and it won't tell you which one's will work and which won't.

Very frustrating.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Being serious, in FF6-10, buffs weren't that effective so I often didn't need to use them. Since XI that's not been the case to be fair

What? Hastega was the shit in FFX. Also that Angel buff that revived you as soon as you died.

As for the question:

FF7: Any Buffs/Debuffs
FF10: Any debuff that isn't slow
FF12: Espers. Seriously they were fun to get, but useless af.
FF15: Can't recall using any magic

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I wanted to use Blue Magic on this play though of FFIX until it missed every effing time

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
FFVI: I never use any of Cyan's sword techs past level 4, and 99% of the time I just use his level 1. Who has time to charge it up to the highest level, when I can just have Relm cast Ultima every turn for 1MP?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing as a Black Mage in FFXIV right now and I feel like only 2 Blizzard spells are actually worthwhile, since you'd typically want to swap back to cycling fire pretty quickly or re-up the thunder debuff. I'll admit I could be missing the "efficient" cycle though.
I can relate, I just started playing 14 with a black mage a few weeks ago and last night I was re-arranging my spells and I just don't see a need for Blizzard 2, lol.

llt2cs3.png

I'm only level 64, but Blizzard 3, then Blizzard 4, then Fire 3, and a bunch of Fire 4s until you run out of MP and go back to Blizzard 3 seems good enough for now. I'm still not even sure if the Thunder spells are worth the cast time, Fire 4 is hitting for like 10K+ damage and Thunder 3 takes like 25 seconds to do a few thousand points.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I almost never use any spells that cause status ailments, like Poison, Death, etc., since they never work on enemies against whom the spells would be useful. I don't use buff or debuff spells that often, either, although there are games in the series where these types of spells are at least useful or necessary (i.e., I used buffs all the time in Final Fantasy XII). The status ailment inflecting spells, though, are almost always garbage in Final Fantasy, as is the case in so many RPGs.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I always feel like in FF games, by the time mage-types start getting Gravity spells (Gravity/Demi, Gravija, etc), there are always better damage options available. Almost no need for percentage based damage.

I always thought those spells became valuable because then you could use them on weaker enemies if you needed to set up characters you didn't level to gain exp by kill, or for farming purposes with steal.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
In playing World Of Final Fantasy, I found myself in setups with loads of skills I wouldn't normally use. Became quite big on Doom for some weighty enemies.

On the Psone games, it was quicker to kill something than status it. FFVII was nearly to the point where pure physical attacks could get you through.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Final Fantasy games i generally only use debuffs on bosses or when you get the target all variety. Otherwise they're useless and/or tedious.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's why the FF5 Four Job Fiesta is so damn good. It forced me to discover how useful so many jobs and the spells associated with them are.
Geomancer for life.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Poison,confusion,blind and all that kind of spells,they are useful in specific moments and bosses but for 90% of the game it's a waste of turns.
Wel,except on XV,poison is op as fuck in that game.