• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Sony & SE would be stupid if they continue to wait on releasing the demo with this shit show happening. Get the damn demo out already!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Are they going through the files for these leaks or have people got the full game running since it also was available to download besides the demo?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Right - they didn't 'hack' into Sony's servers as such, merely spoofed IPs, downloaded the thing and then ran it on modded PS4s.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Are they going through the files for these leaks or have people got the full game running since it also was available to download besides the demo?
These leaks are just from the demo. As far as anyone's aware, nobody has the full game.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Why would this stop the demo from being released? It's not going to make the leaks vanish magically. The files are out there. Removing a demo (despite not officially announced) seems like a childish move.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why would this stop the demo from being released? It's not going to make the leaks vanish magically. The files are out there. Removing a demo (despite not officially announced) seems like a childish move.

True enough - though the demo was intended to give people a taster....

What we are getting is a feast of info and pics they probably had no intention of releasing pre-release. Product exposure may be restricted as a result (but I doubt it)

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
True enough - though the demo was intended to give people a taster....

What we are getting is a feast of info and pics they probably had no intention of releasing pre-release. Product exposure may be restricted as a result (but I doubt it)

I think that would be an even worse PR move for them. "Well we decided to punish everyone by not releasing the demo because a handful of people ruined our marketing plans."

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
The datamine might actually completely kill any chance of the demo getting a public release.

I feel like that would do more damage than anything with being this close to release. It's one thing to see gameplay, but it's another to actually get a feel for the game mechanics. Not allowing people to try the game — especially those who have played the original and are watching this game closely with some hesitation, could hurt how well the game sells. The best thing they can do is just release the demo as soon as possible and let me decide for themselves, because these leaks aren't doing anything for me, as I need to actually play it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This would've happened regardless of when the demo was released. Dataminers go through the data of every major game and demo because files like these often left in demos. What's happening now would've happened regardless the timing just would've been different.

This is how we found out about Lucas, Roy, Ryu, and Hero in Smash because files were left in updates and dataminers found it. This isn't anything new and it happens all the time.
It happened because someone left the key to the pkg visible within the unencrypted part of the pkg.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
It happened because someone left the key to the pkg visible within the unencrypted part of the pkg.
No the data that is in the demo file would've still been in the demo file when the official released occurred. Regardless of when this was released it would've been datamined because that happens with every demo now. The leaking of the data was going to happen regardless, it only happened now because of this fuck up but it was inevitable.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
SE isn't a small company and a worldwide business. No way will they cancel plans already in place due to this accident. Probably won't even change the initial demo release date, whenever that is...

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
After that leak, i would not even be mad if they decide to postpone release date and add new thing.... Because even if i've tried to get totally blind (don't go on spoiler thread + keyword blocker on ym browser).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked if that were the case. Many more people will play the demo than those who would go through the datamine's findings.

I can see SE top-brass flat out refuse to put out the demo for fear of even more leaks (not as if the current pkg files haven't been thoroughly mined already).

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Dont look for anything ff7 related ever and youll be fine. Also scrub recommended history and dont watch yt because tons of gaming channels are posting spoilers right in the thumbnails

Eh. I watch lots of gaming stuff and nothing like that popped up yet. And anyways, it's not like Final Fantasy 7 REMAKE can really surprise me story-wise :P

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The game is 20 years old. You guys need to chill. Most of these things are spoiled before release anyway so i don't get this fuss at all lol

This isn't a 20 year old game, its a re-imagining of a 20 year old game with some new and expanded things going on in it. While the general plot points might be the same theres clearly going to be alot of new things in the remakes too. It has to be because theres maybe only 6-8 hours of this part of the game in the original

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't a 20 year old game, its a re-imagining of a 20 year old game with some new and expanded things going on in it. While the general plot points might be the same theres clearly going to be alot of new things in the remakes too. It has to be because theres maybe only 6-8 hours of this part of the game in the original

So? These are still things that come out as soon as Review embargo lifts.
Even then, from what i've read, there is One major change that has been spoiled.
Apart from that, it's nearly the same game.
There are people here acting as if this is the biggest scandal in years.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
There's still an insane amount of hype/buzz/word of mouth to build by releasing the demo. SE won't want miss out on that just because of the leaks, especially since they're already so far in the process (i.e. have it uploaded to PSN).

My bet is a Tuesday release.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man there's so much music in the demo files that clearly isn't part of the demo.

The people at squeenix are so dumb and careless. All of this should've been scrubbed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm now regretting listening to the leaked soundtrack, there are some surprising remixes in here. But it's too late now. :P

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm throwing my copy in the trash if the Shinra Staircase isn't in it.

Midgar is hands down the *worst* part of Disc 1, and I thank god each playthrough when I get to leave.

I mean, to each their own. But this is definitely not a commonly held opinion. The Midgar segment of FFVII is one of the most memorable and beloved sections for a game ever.

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, to each their own. But this is definitely not a commonly held opinion. The MIdgar segment of FFVII is one of the most memorable and beloved sections for a game ever.
When I originally played the game I had already been familiar with RPGs and was wondering (worryingly) if the entire game took place here. I only appreciated Midgar after replaying the game several times. Blew my mind when I got out of that place.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if square will scrap a public demo now in a misguided attempted to try stop more leaks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When I originally played the game I had already been familiar with RPGs and was wondering (worryingly) if the entire game took place here. I only appreciated Midgar after replaying the game several times. Blew my mind when I got out of that place.

That was a pretty amazing moment for a lot of us, I think. Most players likely had no idea just how much more game there would be after Midgar.