• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
That length seems lliterally impossible even if it was the most straight forward Remake of FF7s Midgar. Spoken dialogue, more elaborate cutscenes, areas now being 3d environments, etc. All that will drive up the length alone. Even if the game was light on side content or doesn't feature new areas I would still expect just that to be 15 to 20 hours.

For that length to be true the Remake would have to speed through Midgar at a breakneck pace

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
That spoiler sounds wrong .. really wrong .
That's not good but makes sense. Just played through midgar and they would really have to stretch to make all this a full game you could get through this even exploring every nook and cranny in like 2-3 hours easy. I really hope this does well so we get the rest of the game but this may bring controversy, they should have really pushed to get this game to the boat battle with jenova.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It would be isane and literally the opposite of what they said and the literal reason why a Midgar game could be great thrown out of the window

Yeah. It would quite literally be confirming every worst fear I've been yelling about for the past year. Square can't possibly be dumb enough to prove me right.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would you guys be if the entire thing was a 10 hour long experience?

I paid full price for RE2 and that was like six or seven hours long on my first playthrough. Even if FFVII does turn out to be ten hours long I don't think I'd mind too much. I really doubt that'll actually happen, though. There's so much they can expand upon and sections they can make larger and more complex that I'm pretty confident it'll be at least 20~25 hours long.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
That length seems lliterally impossible even if it was the most straight forward Remake of FF7s Midgar. Spoken dialogue, more elaborate cutscenes, areas now being 3d environments, etc. All that will drive up the length alone. Even if the game was light on side content or doesn't feature new areas I would still expect just that to be 15 to 20 hours.

For that length to be true the Remake would have to speed through Midgar at a breakneck pace

Some reports indicate the full demo took about 45 minutes. The original bombing mission takes about 15-18 minutes if you're just doing a normal playthrough.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah I was obviously talking about the main story, but how could they even know that anyway? The leaked script maybe? I don't even know.

I don't believe it, especially after what Nomura said about the game's content, like how it was so big he had to tell everyone to stop adding stuff and how the game will surpass our expectations :p
Yeah I have no idea how they know the length but there is always people who speed run stuff so I am trying to guess lol.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The length yall are hiding behind spoiler tags doesn't sound right at all , maybe with no cutscenes on a second play through if you know what you're doing. I'd expect an average play through to be at least twice that long.

Starshaped

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
I am being naive, would the demo have the most up to date data for the game anyway? This slice of the game has been playable since at least June. Or has all this come from the other larger file that appeared on the PSN?

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I am being naive, would the demo have the most up to date data for the game anyway? This slice of the game has been playable since at least June. Or has all this come from the other larger file that appeared on the PSN?
The demo has a lot of data from the final game, but nothing that would really indicated length. The only thing it really told us is

how many chapters there are. But we have no idea how long each is or how they're structured.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Part 2 to cut a lot of content and locations from the original game to streamline the rest of the story.

Which is weird because their entire justification for splitting this stupid thing up in the first place was so they wouldn't have to cut anything. That was their stated, open goal when they announced the episodic structure.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which is weird because their entire justification for splitting this stupid thing up in the first place was so they wouldn't have to cut anything. That was their stated, open goal when they announced the episodic structure.
I think the whole reason for splitting it up was because of the assets and file size needed to for just Midgar. They obviously realized it's better to release midgar as it's own game considering the amount of assets required just for that segment. It wasn't easy and cheap to make assets for such a relatively small chunk of the overall game.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Fucking livid. 60 dollars for a ten hour game is asinine in 2020.

At the same time, if it's a compelling 10 hours, isn't that better than a more bland 10 on top of that? I mean, a movie ticket is $12-14 in my area for what's often a 2 hour experience, and roughly, that's the same as $60 for 10 hours.

Hell, I'd be surprised if I've played 10 hours total of lots of much longer games because they failed to be compelling. If this remake plays well and is a great game for 10 hours, I'm down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the whole reason for splitting it up was because of the assets and file size needed to for just Midgar. They obviously realized it's better to release midgar as it's own game considering the amount of assets required just for that segment. It wasn't easy and cheap to make assets for such a relatively small chunk of the overall game.

I mean, they said it themselves - they didn't want to cut anything and that's why the game was planned to be episodic and not one lump project. It had nothing to do with Midgar initially.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It wont. I can see it being 40 hours. Any more and thats pushing it

People are just freaking out trying to guess the length of the game itself based on the length of demo and overall chapter number

butwhy.gif

Is that really all people are going off of? The length of chapters in games can vary wildly. See Chapter 3 in Death Stranding or heck, the open world chapters in FFXV compared to the more linear ones. I don't see how that's any indication of how long the game will be.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
If we get Midgar exactly as we know it in the original it's a missed opportunity. No question about it.

People bringing up how the original FFVII was mostly linear are forgetting that a) the game offered you the promise of exploration and illusion of freedom 7 hours in (as you left Midgar) and b) opened up drastically as you kept playing and c) was diverse as hell and d) was not a whole game dedicated to one location.

We're two months away from launch. We have yet to see one brand new area that was not in the original Midgar. It's already tiring from press material. For me, the game would probably still be really good if it's a fun romp through Midgar but with higher production values, but if they fail to take the main selling point for part one of a multi-game remake and the most interesting part of this game, then of course I'll be disappointed.

Also, I think that spoiler of the game length is BS. I think the game will be 20-25 hours. I'm mainly talking about content here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
10 hours would be like a cutscene skipping playthrough. The demo as is is too long for the whole game to be 10 hours.

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be fine with 15 hours.

I'll take less time with focused story and gameplay over more time of doing pointless tasks. That's essentially what it comes down to and for whatever reason makes some happy. Aslong as they get 50 hours of game, it doesn't seem to matter that 30 of it is just repeating tasks, collecting magic beans for NPC's and walking back and forth doing the most mundane of things. Is that really worth being upset? Isn't quality more important than the length of a game?

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Don't know if it was mentioned here but on the Kinda Funny stream they have "Final Fantasy demo impressions" on the schedule for next week.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person in this thread who's fine with whatever length the main story ends up being. I'm sure there will be plenty of side content to dig into once it's over.

I'm super excited for the game, but I'm also just along for the ride. I'll probably be happy with whatever we get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
How are they going to do optional party members? They can't recreate Yuffie's encounter, unless the "overworld" is similar to XV and you find her generating randomly in packs of enemies. Or some optional forest like mini dungeon.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like I'm the only person in this thread who's fine with whatever length the main story ends up being. I'm sure there will be plenty of side content to dig into once it's over.

I'm super excited for the game, but I'm also just along for the ride. I'll probably be happy with whatever we get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think people are just concerned because Square has been touting this as a full fledged Final Fantasy game in and of itself, so there are expectations of length and content that come with that promise.

That said, I think the people saying it's for sure gonna be super short are jumping the gun a bit. As I've been saying, I'm expecting a 20-25 hour main story, with more for side content. Shorter than most FF games, but still substantial. I could totally be off-base though.

How long is the demo?

Word is that the demo is about 45 minutes and encompasses the first bombing run.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If we get Midgar exactly as we know it in the original it's a missed opportunity. No question about it.

People bringing up how the original FFVII was mostly linear are forgetting that a) the game offered you the promise of exploration and illusion of freedom 7 hours in (as you left Midgar) and b) opened up drastically as you kept playing and c) was diverse as hell and d) was not a whole game dedicated to one location.

We're two months away from launch. We have yet to see one brand new area that was not in the original Midgar. It's already tiring from press material. For me, the game would probably still be really good if it's a fun romp through Midgar but with higher production values, but if they fail to take the main selling point for part one of a multi-game remake and the most interesting part of this game, then of course I'll be disappointed.

Also, I think that spoiler of the game length is BS. I think the game will be 20-25 hours. I'm mainly talking about content here.
Adding new areas in Midgar would get them into feature creep (aka duke nukem forever) territory, then the devs would maybe want to add other areas to the world map & the game would never be released, as releasing FF7 as it is in modern visuals is already a daunting task.
I think it's already a big elephant in the room that some stuff will get the can in the remake to fit this into a trilogy, like creating a snow mountain in PS5 quality just for one mini game is probably a bad idea, unless they want to expand that northern segment to make it worth it, which goes back to feature creep.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Adding new areas in Midgar would get them into feature creep (aka duke nukem forever) territory, then the devs would maybe want to add other areas to the world map & the game would never be released, as releasing FF7 as it is in modern visuals is already a daunting task.
I think it's already a big elephant in the room that some stuff will get the can in the remake to fit this into a trilogy, like creating a snow mountain in PS5 quality just for one mini game is probably a bad idea, unless they want to expand that northern segment, which goes back to feature creep.
I don't think them adding new stuff would mean that the game could potentially never come out.

When the game releases, it'll have been less than three years since SE took the game over from CC2 and turned to internal development. I just think within this time, they were able to focus on the original Midgar and polish the hell out of that while adding bits to the story. Less than three years is not a lot of time to make a more ambitious Midgar.

While that's fine, when they split the game into parts and Midgar became its own game, expectations were raised as to what they would do for each part.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
butwhy.gif

Is that really all people are going off of? The length of chapters in games can vary wildly. See Chapter 3 in Death Stranding or heck, the open world chapters in FFXV compared to the more linear ones. I don't see how that's any indication of how long the game will be.

You underestimate the mental loops of people thirsty and desperate

But your point also raises the same thing ive been saying regarding the whole remake. Just cause part 1 is midgar a small portion of the og game says nothing about the pace the other parts will be. Expanding midgard doesnt mean every part of ff7 gets expanded to the same level. Just that midgar was important to expand for the team innthe first game

Last edited:

Deleted member 42105

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
-Directed by Tetsuya Nomura
-10 hour game

giphy.gif

you guys are on crack. 10 hours of just cutscenes maybe