• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Source: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2019/html/f7b96c2f37dbad9a7c2d14be3e008f07.html

Google translate:

"FINAL FANTASY VII" was originally released on PlayStation in 1997, and it has attracted many people with spectacular and inspiring stories, attractive characters, and images using cutting-edge technology at the time. The total number of units sold worldwide is over 12.3 million. (* Total number of packaged software shipments and download sales)

The platforms FF7 has released on sourced from Wikipedia:

Screenshot_20191101-1646372.png

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People expecting a 1997 game to have sold like a modern one.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think this is the first time I've heard the actual total of a classic game that was rereleased in digital format.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Those saying it's low - keep in mind games used to sell a lot less. VII was the second best selling game on the PS1 - the top was Gran Turismo at 10.85m.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The remake will blow that away in the end. The modern graphics and gameplay backed by its reputation will be enough.

An Xmas demo for the public would do wonders.

Oct 25, 2017
About 9.9 million is how much the original release sold. So PC and all subsequent rereleases added about 2.4 million.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy talk. BotW only sold like 10 million and Zelda as an IP is in a much better standing than FF.
I mostly agree but FF was always a much bigger seller than Zelda. If FF7 is as good as it should be (as the quality of Zelda drove its sales) then it could happily sell more than BotW. But 15m nahhhhh

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
That's crazy talk. BotW only sold like 10 million and Zelda as an IP is in a much better standing than FF.
BotW has sold 16.15 million units on Wii U + Switch and is not stopping there, it will go above 20 million, maybe closer to 25 million units. FFXV has outsold every Zelda game except for BotW and Twilight Princess (and it's really close to beating TP).

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I think Remake will surprise people when it comes to sales. It'll do more than people expect.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
I would have expected much much higher
Very few games can sell 10 million units today and FF7 did that in the 90s with a much smaller market. It was and still is a huge deal. Considering how easy PS1 piracy was and subsequent emulation, it's up there with the most popular video games.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bad ass, I've never played a FF but always look at intrigued. I really enjoy old school JRPGs, but at this point dont really know where to start with FF.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how many played it through emulators/pirated copies?

Back in the day when it was first released I played a pirated copy. It was the days where it was easier to get a pirated copy of games than originals, and originals can cost 10 times more than the pirated ones.Not to mention Sony region locking the PS to the Japanese region and only mostly selling Japanese versions of the games.
I have since tried to redeem myself by buying a copy of the game whenever it gets rereleased😂😅

Anyone know how much VI sold in comparison?

Final Fantasy VI received critical acclaim and was commercially successful in Japan upon release. In mid-1994 Square's publicity department reported that the game had sold 2.55 million copies in Japan.[38] In the United States, where it went on sale in the last quarter of 1994, it became the year's eighth best-selling SNES cartridge;[89] despite this, it was not a commercial success in that region, according to Sakaguchi.[90] As of March 31, 2003, the game had shipped 3.48 million copies worldwide, with 2.62 million of those copies being shipped in Japan and 860,000 abroad.[91] Final Fantasy Collection sold over 400,000 copies in 1999, making it the 31st-best-selling release of that year in Japan.[92] Final Fantasy Anthology has sold approximately 364,000 copies in North America.[93] Final Fantasy VI Advance sold over 223,000 copies in Japan by the end of 2006, one month after release.[94]

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
About as expected, sales trajectory was different back then. Final Fantasy VII was the second highest selling PS One game only behind GT2. Through re-releases it sold about an additional 3 million or so I think, which is pretty good actually. Would expect FFVII:Remake Part I to surpass FFXV shipments though (8.4M+) because I think the marketing, WOM and quality seem to be there.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
So, Best game of all time is now the best selling JRPG game of all time?

Only fitting ;-)

The Remake will break 10M easily with each part.