• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The creator of the FINAL FANTASY series Hironobu Sakaguchi, the composer of the music Nobuo Uematsu, and the producer of the up coming FINAL FANTASY VII Remake sit down with us to discuss how FINAL FANTASY VII came to be, the music, the story, and more much.

[Note: This interview was from before Uematsu went on hiatus due to health issues a few weeks ago]

This bit was interesting (@4:32):
DKHF said:
Kitase says if Uematsu had said something in this interview it might "break the internet". Maybe it's that he's doing the full FFVIIR score rather than just a few songs? But this interview was held before his break announcement so maybe it's no longer the case if that was it.

Source.

UPDATE: What Kitase meant Uematsu had already accidentally said at an earlier concert might be this (thanks to DKHF):
DKHF said:
I was confused but I saw this: https://twitter.com/aibo_ac7/status/1050762394312486912

Says he is probably referring to when Uematsu implied at a concert FFVIIR was originally meant to come out this year? I think it's a mistranslation in the subs and Kitase meant he said something different in the interview

I think Uematsu at a concert possibly implying FFVIIR was meant to come out this year only spread a bit in Japan and not overseas at all but I can't really remember what happened with that.

Sources 1, 2.

Clarification:
DKHF said:
I should take back saying he said it "originally" was going to come out this year since that could imply that's what they planned at the very start back in 2014/2015. Uematsu didn't indicate that 2018 was the plan at the start, just that it maybe was the plan at some point

Source.

dL7CW93.png

FWz4ml2.png

X09fS9E.png

9pXTUt5.png

jtYFGOm.png

ggfr3OU.png

pxZbKvh.png

Q6ikV1R.png

Last edited:

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
How is Uematsu doing? I heard he had to cancel some public appearances this year due to illness.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
No matter how much of a shitshow Remake ended up being, it would still be worth playing if Uematsu scored the whole thing.

His work on VII and VIII is the peak of video game music as far as I'm concerned. Man is a legend.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This channel is sponsored by Squee. It can't just be a coincidence that the Gooch is part of this roundtable.

p.s. Nomura am cry.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Uematsu has got better? Good to know.

edit: oh before he's ill, nevermind.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
No matter how much of a shitshow Remake ended up being, it would still be worth playing if Uematsu scored the whole thing.

His work on VII and VIII is the peak of video game music as far as I'm concerned. Man is a legend.
If they can hang on to the characters, the full story, and the music, the rest (combat, exploration, progression, mini-games etc) could be trash and it will still be a very fun game. Graphics will be good too. The first 7 hours in deiselpunk Midgar is my favorite part of FF7. If they want to expand that to 30 hours I'm cool with that. People will need to be reminded that the original game is still out there for any nostalgia you need. If Uematsu is remaking the music then yeah that will break the internet. It would be a HUGE selling point.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
omfg

If Uematsu does the whole score for FFVII-R... maaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
From a quick google, it sounds like hes just recovering his stamina mentally and physically due to the hectic work from the concerts all over the world.

I think he'll be just fine once he comes back! Hopeful for a speedy recovery for Nobuo!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This channel is sponsored by Squee. It can't just be a coincidence that the Gooch is part of this roundtable.

p.s. Nomura am cry.

I feel like each are in incomplete without each other. Just imagine a modern final fantasy with a coherent story, great music, high production values, and actually hitting deadlines with a new major release every 2 years.

Mistwalker has been all over the place but increasingly infrequent releases and more dependence on mobile.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
Any idea what he said? From what they're saying whatever he said, he's said it a concert prior and it went viral. Surely someone knows the incident in question and what was spoken.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I feel like each are in incomplete without each other. Just imagine a modern final fantasy with a coherent story, great music, high production values, and actually hitting deadlines with a new major release every 2 years.

Mistwalker has been all over the place but increasingly infrequent releases and more dependence on mobile.

You are dreaming about this, SE doesn't have the staff to do this.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Any idea what he said? From what they're saying whatever he said, he's said it a concert prior and it went viral. Surely someone knows the incident in question and what was spoken.
Yeah, that confused me too. I don't remember any of his comments at a concert going viral this year and if it did then why couldn't he say the same thing again anyway if it's already known? Maybe the translation is wonky and Kitase meant "you recently said something else you shouldn't have" or something?

Nov 23, 2017
With Nobuo practically admitting he's working on the music the Remake and that special FF VII concert being this year, it's possible to believe that the game is coming out in 2019. BALEE!

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
With Nobuo practically admitting he's working on the music the Remake and that special FF VII concert being this year, it's possible to believe that the game is coming out in 2019. BALEE!

It's not coming out in 2019 Lol Don't do this to yourself.

To me sounds like a new trailer or playable demo or something, and that's a big "If" too.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's not coming out in 2019 Lol Don't do this to yourself.

To me sounds like a new trailer or playable demo or something, and that's a big "If" too.
hahahahahahaha I wish
Eh, I don't think late 2019/early 2020 is unrealistic for Part 1. It's worth noting that SE's recent financial report showed they're expecting a huge spike in income for the fiscal year from April 2019 to April 2020. I can only imagine this means that either FFVIIR Part 1 and/or Avengers releases in that period. I don't see any other games that could cause such a spike, tbh.

elXm4sP.png

Or maybe it's their new E-Commerce business segment or something else besides games that will contribute to their target, dunno...
Our medium-term target continues to be the creation of a
business structure capable of consistently generating ¥300-400
billion in net sales and ¥40-50 billion in operating income as of
FY2020/3.

I presented these first four strategies for achieving our
medium-term target at our FY2017/3 results briefing. We now
add a fifth strategy, namely e-commerce. "E-commerce" as we
use it here does not simply refer to online shopping of the sort
offered by Amazon. We will strive to sell our own IP-related
products through a diversity of channels. Our Merchandising
segment currently generates sales of just over ¥7 billion, but by
bringing that figure to ¥10 billion and then to ¥20 billion, we will
bolster the foundation on which we generate continuous
earnings.

In addition, we will focus on developing new entertainment
content incorporating the latest technologies in order to
generate sustainable growth once we have achieved our
medium-term target. Cutting-edge technologies that we will be
aggressively investing in include 3D modeling, AI, blockchain,
and robotics.

As part of that endeavor, we have decided to invest $25 million
in the form of venture capital and have begun executing on that
plan. We will accelerate our investments not only in our existing
businesses but also in promising new technologies such as
these.

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/18q4outline.pdf

XzWMGAV.png

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly my three favorite people in the video game industry.

Love to see the three of them collaborate one more time.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: What Kitase meant Uematsu had already accidentally said at an earlier concert might be this (thanks to DKHF):
DKHF said:
I was confused but I saw this: https://twitter.com/aibo_ac7/status/1050762394312486912

Says he is probably referring to when Uematsu implied at a concert FFVIIR was originally meant to come out this year? I think it's a mistranslation in the subs and Kitase meant he said something different in the interview

I think Uematsu at a concert possibly implying FFVIIR was meant to come out this year only spread a bit in Japan and not overseas at all but I can't really remember what happened with that.

Sources 1, 2.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018

Ooh, that is juicy if he let that slip. The question would be was it meant to come out this year when it was announced way back in 2015 when they had no clue what they were in for, or was it meant to come out this year as of RECENTLY. Meaning the latter would indicate the game is further along in development than anyone outside of Square realizes.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Ooh, that is juicy if he let that slip. The question would be was it meant to come out this year when it was announced way back in 2015 when they had no clue what they were in for, or was it meant to come out this year as of RECENTLY. Meaning the latter would indicate the game is further along in development than anyone outside of Square realizes.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised by the bolded.

I actually expect a 6 month gap between the game's re-reveal and release, especially if it's still in parts. Despite CC2's dismissal, I still expect (errrr... hope?) that a LOT of work has been done on this game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If FFVIIR releases this year (with marketing nonexistant less than 3 months away from the end of the year, is highly unlikely) it probably means a heavily episodic game. I expect each one to be very short.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Sakaguchi isn't being involved, he just has a good relationship with the old dogs working in there.

That's just common courtesy to play into the marketing hype of FFVIIR as a key staff being involved with the original game. Just like they had a collaboration with FFXV and Terra Battle.

Oct 31, 2017
Sakaguchi isn't being involved, he just has a good relationship with the old dogs working in there.

That's just common courtesy to play into the marketing hype of FFVIIR as a key staff being involved with the original game. Just like they had a collaboration with FFXV and Terra Battle.

He was also part of XV's marketing multiple times. He was at the Uncovered event.

He's constantly getting interviewed, then there's the Terra Battle collabs, etc...

like come the fuck on let bygones be bygones smh

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was also part of XV's marketing multiple times. He was at the Uncovered event.

He's constantly getting interviewed, then there's the Terra Battle collabs, etc...

like come the fuck on let bygones be bygones smh

I feel he's very confortable with his job now. I'm pretty sure if he wanted to be part of SE, I think they would let him.

He dosn't seem interested in making big JRPG again.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Is there a translated video of them doing their FFVI playthrough? That'd be fascinating to see... like the time Guy Cihi (James Sunderland) and David Schaufele (Eddie Dombrowski) did commentary on a full Silent Hill 2 playthrough.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Did he actually say he doesn't want to work on AAA title?
While not from the man himself, from what Roberto Ferrari said:

I stand behind what Sakaguchi said about big budget games development: it's not worth it anymore. But they are also very disorganized. The staff -200 souls- had to work when the story still wasn't completely defined. In fact, this story kept changing every 3 months and the definitive delivery date for the game was for the end of 2014 (who would have thought it would have been pushed back to November 2016?).

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/12/artist-roberto-ferrari-speaks-designs-final-fantasy-xv/

Roberto is talking about the time before Versus was rebooted into XV btw.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, it's been a while since I saw Uematsu, he's looking waaaaay older than what I remember. D:

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
If FFVIIR releases this year (with marketing nonexistant less than 3 months away from the end of the year, is highly unlikely) it probably means a heavily episodic game. I expect each one to be very short.
LOL, it's not gonna release this year. He obviously meant that the plans originally were to release this year (I assume before the whole thing with CyberConnect2 happened?).

EDIT:
DKHF said:
I should take back saying he said it "originally" was going to come out this year since that could imply that's what they planned at the very start back in 2014/2015. Uematsu didn't indicate that 2018 was the plan at the start, just that it maybe was the plan at some point

Source.

Did he actually say he doesn't want to work on AAA title?
I'd love Sakaguchi to make an RPG again. Doesn't matter if it's something smaller...
He expressed interest a few months ago on something for Switch, but I don't think he will ever do AAA again.
So, Final Fantasy will be 30 years old. What would you say if Square Enix wanted to bring the original development team back to make a commemorative, anniversary project with Yoshitaka Amano, Nobuo Uematsu, and you?
Sakaguchi: Well, we would have to make it in pixel art. It would be fun if it was a promotional video or something, not a full-length game. It's a lot of work to make a game.

I'm curious what you would had done if you had the technical power we have right now back when you started making games.
Sakaguchi: I might not even think about making games. It would look too intimidating. It's not something I could make on my own.

How many people made the first Final Fantasy?
Sakaguchi: By the end, probably 20 people. But at first there were only four of us.

So, we wouldn't have a game by you if the technology in 1987 was what it is today?
Sakaguchi: No, I don't think so.

Source.

Sakaguchi: "However, I do want to develop games on console again at some point. We're even working on Terra Battle 3 right now and maybe console will be the right fit for that. Just because we are developing heavily on mobile right now doesn't mean we have completely left console behind. After all, the Nintendo Switch is a very good piece of hardware."

Source.

His current plan is to make 9 Terra-branded games until he's 60 :D

Hironobu Sakaguchi's six-year, eight-game plan
Back in June, the Final Fantasy creator revealed a plan to turn his popular mobile role-playing game Terra Battle into a franchise. It starts with a direct sequel, Terra Battle 2, coming this summer. It follows with the claymation-styled Terra Wars, due later this year. Then comes a grab bag of six other games in the Terra World series — roughly one a year for six years, each with a unique setting and concept.

The idea, Sakaguchi says, is to mirror what he did with the Final Fantasy franchise, which he oversaw for nine games. And, on a personal level, he wants to tie a nice bow on this phase of his career.

"I'm sort of looking at my own calendar here," he tells Polygon. "I'm 54 right now and 60 is the age when many people retire in Japan. There's a ceremony you have called your Kanreki. It's a major milestone and you have a big celebration …

"And now that I've announced the third Terra game, if you do the math and subtract 54 from 60, you'll see that — if I do it right — I have just barely enough time to finish the last one before I turn 60. It'd be great to have that as a milestone where I could look back and celebrate releasing them all."

Do the math and you'll see he actually needs to finish the last six in just over five years — a plan with little room for error in an industry built on delays. Despite that, Sakaguchi seems confident he can make it happen, with plans to develop multiple projects in parallel and work with a variety of external studios to minimize the risk.

But, he adds, that doesn't mean he's going to retire in 2022.

[...]

And while Mistwalker has referred to this as a console "version" of Terra Battle in the past, Sakaguchi says it's best to think of it as a new game in the Terra World franchise.

He also uses to opportunity to plug Terra Battle 2. It's a mobile and PC game, but one of Mistwalker's talking points for it is that it brings a bit more of a console feel to its structure and presentation. It has a more expansive story, the ability to jump in and out of quests, the ability to change items while inside a dungeon, flashier graphical effects, etc.

[...]

So if Sakaguchi is putting such a focus on finishing his current plan by the time he hits 60, what happens at that point?

In a post on Mistwalker's Terra Battle website accompanying the announcement of Terra Battle 2 and Terra Wars, Sakaguchi is quoted as saying, "I have become old enough that some call me a 'legend,' of the industry, but I wish to try and remain an active creator. Until the day I retire, I (secretly) wish to expand the 'Terra World' and create 9 experiences."

Sakaguchi tells Polygon the use of the word "retire" on the site is a mistranslation, though. Despite many in Japan looking at a Kanreki party as something that happens around the time people retire, and despite Sakaguchi aiming to finish the Terra franchise by that date, he says he has no plans to stop working.

He points to an 80-year-old singer and artist named Yuzo Kayama, who Sakaguchi saw perform in his 70s on Japanese television station NHK and was impressed by how young he looked and how well he could sing at that age.

"I want to be like him when I'm 70," Sakaguchi says.

As it turns out, Sakaguchi's wife is friends with Kayama's daughter, and Sakaguchi used that connection to ask Kayama to contribute a painting to the first Terra Battle. He's one of many people Sakaguchi has brought into the franchise to contribute a bit of art, writing or music — a kind of greatest hits lineup combining people Sakaguchi has worked with, well-known developers from around the game industry and mainstream artists like Kayama.

To some, it may seem like Sakaguchi is ticking names off of a bucket list, cramming in as many collaborations as he can before he hangs up his hat. But Sakaguchi insists he has plenty of new ideas of his own left.

In fact, even now, with two Terra World games on the way this year and six more in front of him over the next five years or so, Sakaguchi says he's not ready to slow down, noting that he is also already in talks about another project that has nothing to do with Terra World.

It's too early to say what form that project might take, but with any luck it won't distract from his current nine-game plan.

He's made a new promise, after all, and he doesn't want to break this one either.

Source.
---

Is there a translated video of them doing their FFVI playthrough? That'd be fascinating to see... like the time Guy Cihi (James Sunderland) and David Schaufele (Eddie Dombrowski) did commentary on a full Silent Hill 2 playthrough.

Last edited: