• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
20190510_152458.jpg

20190510_161504.jpg

20190510_161444.jpg
After years of waiting, we finally got a new trailer for Final Fantasy VII Remake during the PlayStation State of Play broadcast yesterday.
Here's a closer look at some of the changes and improvements in a comparison video by Cycu1. It shows the latest trailer's graphics and character models compared to the previous trailer that was unveiled at the 2015 PlayStation Experience.

More at link

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great to me! This will be my first time playing FFVII but cloud always looked sickly in the remake trailers to me.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Models are changed a bit, but most striking difference is the new lightning style.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be looking at trailers too closely, remember how most XV trailers turned out to be bullshit, regarding both graphics and content.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
Both look great. Cloud looks a little top beefed up if you know his backstory but whatever

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... I think I like 2015 Barrett better, but I think it's just the fuller beard. Cloud is better in 2019 though, his face is probably a lil to prettified but 2015 looks like he's turning into a zombie. Graphics overall has been improved a fair bit.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I personally prefer the 2015 cloud, reeks of mako poisoning and it was nice to see square moving away from traditionally beautiful characters (well... A little bit anyway) he just looks a bit more generic now

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Cloud no longer looks like an anemic malnourished sad little man who couldn't possibly hold that big ass sword or be an ex-Soldier.

Where's my Jessie comparison though?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Love the new models. Cloud could use a bit more detail in the face but I wouldn't change anything else.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I personally prefer the 2015 cloud, reeks of mako poisoning and it was nice to see square moving away from traditionally beautiful characters (well... A little bit anyway) he just looks a bit more generic now

I don't think the game states that Mako poisoning makes you look sick,
after all they did that with all the SOLDIERS so it wouldn't make sense. It just changes your eyes color IIRC

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
such a huge upgrade for sure

also, it's amazing that it'll be Unreal Engine 4. Square Enix' workers are so talented

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Old Cloud looks gaunt and his story actually represents his design.
New cloud is basically an Anime doll. Shame.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Rendering of lighting and materials looks better. I think it has been upgraded. Either way it is a very nice looking game. Much flashier than FFXV which is pleasing.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
2019 Cloud looks more anime compared to the old one.

New Barrett is meh as well

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Cloud looks so much better. Old cloud may have lined up with the context of the story just a bit better, but I don't want to play that character for 40 hours.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud's hair looks nicer

But we really need them in the same lighting for a good comparison.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Not going to lie- I liked the grimy look from 2015 a lot, but I think I'm beginning to prefer the new style more.
I'm replaying the original now and seemingly every location I go to I get excited about how it could be portrayed in Remake. 🍻

Cloud looks so bad. Barrett (?) looks pretty bad too.

Are you actively competing with jett as "Most Negative User on ERA"?
I swear it seems like any time I see that crying Toby avatar it's some kind of negative comment...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The sicky 2015 Cloud never made any sense. He never looked sick in any OG FF7 art.

And before someone says "but he was in a
tube during a long time
" if you truly wanted it to be real he would probably be dead or almost a skeleton, so his 2015 look didn't make sense either way.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the game states that Mako poisoning makes you look sick,
after all they did that with all the SOLDIERS so it wouldn't make sense. It just changes your eyes color IIRC
SOLDIERs are people who have been successfully strenght by Mako. Cloud however, has a particularly weak tolerance and was poisoned, according to the lab reports in the Shinra Manor. There's also the fact that it's only been mere weeks since he escaped from a lab where he's been cooped up for 5 years in a practically vegetative state.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I like Cloud having more meat on his bones, but I don't like his face looking like a flawless pretty boy again like in Advent Children. Maybe we'll need a higher resolution screenshot to see the details on his face more properly but eh.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not going to lie- I liked the grimy look from 2015 a lot, but I think I'm beginning to prefer the new style more.
I'm replaying the original now and seemingly every location I go to I get excited about how it could be portrayed in Remake. 🍻

Are you actively competing with jett as "Most Negative User on ERA"?
I swear it seems like any time I see that crying Toby avatar it's some kind of negative comment...
I just posted about how I rewatched John wick and it was great. Boom. Come to the ot

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I wouldn't be looking at trailers too closely, remember how most XV trailers turned out to be bullshit, regarding both graphics and content.
First directors changed, things were scrapped.

Second, if you look at KH3 trailers before the engine change all that footage made it to final game even the cgi footage some got turned into actual gameplay.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
SOLDIERs are people who have been successfully enhanced by Mako. Cloud however, has a particularly weak tolerance and was poisoned, according to the lab reports in the Shinra Manor.

SOLDIERs are people who have been successfully enhanced by Mako. Cloud however, has a particularly weak tolerance and was poisoned, according to the lab reports in the Shinra Manor.

Forgot that :/

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
The previous Cloud looks better. He's a little too beefy now compared to the Nomura artwork. His hair also deflated a little too much.

Interesting how they turned his face Asian. Wonder why.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Remake Cloud, just as original Cloud, are working out their shoulders a lot, lol:

D6ORgLoXsAAoGWN.jpg:small

89p2Gzx.png

Probably a nod to the original character model style.

lol, damn you are right!

imagine going back to 1997 to your younger self who is obsessed with FFVII and showing him/her the remake trailer

17 year old me would lose my mind... and be simultaneously bummed about the 22 (?) year wait and thrilled that I might still be alive to enjoy it! ;)

I just posted about how I rewatched John wick and it was great. Boom. Come to the ot

Seeing is believing... and you, sir, are correct. John Wick is indeed a great flick! 👍🏼

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Did the game ever say how much time passes between Tifa finding cloud at the train station and the bombing mission?

The first picture is exactly how I would have imagined him looking, after everything he went through at the hands of Hojo, and having to escape to midgar with Zack. I wouldn't have minded if it started off with the first picture and ended up becoming the healthier looking 2nd picture over time.