• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Because KH3 has a lot of combat abilities that alter even your basic combo, especially when you start to take into account flow motion commands. But it's different in XV, where you actually HOLD the button and watch shit goes ham. In KH3, you still have to individually tap the button to get Sora to go from one slash to the next, the next may happen to not be an ordinary slash but at least it can only occur if you repeatedly press the button. XV lets you hold it down all the way, really bad design.
You can also tap it in XV though.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
They really thought about making character switching feel integral to the game.

Boss fight also took a little while to go down. It was easy, but they were able to show off how a player might intuitively know to switch to Barret, then back to Cloud. It flows well and the combination of menus and real time action feels most like a natural evolution of the original ATB gameplay than an action game at it's core. If you feel like you get something out of picking lighting out of a menu to attack a weakpoint, well, you can do that.

I wasn't really sure about how to dodge the laser attack.

I think the game is going to get some flack for some of the flashier parts of the Battle that cut to mini cutscenes that take camera control away from you (and off of your characters). It is very, very over the top, but I'm personally fine with it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know it says 4K, but is the game native, checkerboard, dynamic, or? Also curious to what the framerate is like during gameplay. I know it's 30, but as of right now, are there dips, etc. like FF15? Sorry, can't watch this now, and of course all of this is said with the understanding that things can and will likely change/improve by March. Thanks!
If it's Pro footage, it seems logical it would be CBr, probably to 4k/1800p. For a 30fps game, seems like a safe bet. Kinda tough to tell from the footage. I am sure some better analysis will appear soon.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
How ATB is used and 'stocked' as a resource is very FFXIII. Most of the DNA is XIII I feel, with a little bit of XII and XV

To me playing it felt like what if we could move around in ffxiii
Exactly. The battle system reminds me of the very first FFXIII trailer from E3.
Plus it's the same producer.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I opened the Eurogamer video and was fully ready to watch, but when I heard the first four notes of the mako reactor theme I closed the video. I'm just fucking ready. I'm so ready. I don't need to see any more, I just want the game at this point. This is going to be a long 6 months.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Boss fight also took a little while to go down. It was easy, but they were able to show off how a player might intuitively know to switch to Barret, then back to Cloud. It flows well and the combination of menus and real time action feels most like a natural evolution of the original ATB gameplay than an action game at it's core. If you feel like you get something out of picking lighting out of a menu to attack a weakpoint, well, you can do that.
Yeah and I like how they bake in the idea you must switch characters by how the ATB charges faster for the main character. Also that you can still issue ATB commands to the "off" character. Its such a well design system

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one game that really didn't need to shift away from synths and machinery to the standard epic orchestrated soundtrack, it's FF7.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It was hard to tell how good the game looked, because the TVs seemed to have their sharpness turned to 5000 percent, so Cloud's hair just looked like a blurry mess.

Yeah and I like how they bake in the idea you must switch characters by how the ATB charges faster for the main character. Also that you can still issue ATB commands to the "off" character. Its such a well design system

Having the character attack on their own, but also be given commands felt great. I don't think Barret randomly used lightning either, even when Cloud told "him" to, so it must have been a hint to the player. It was only a snapshot, but it felt like a perfect synthesis.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm a bit torn regarding the music. I feel some tunes are way too orchestrated for my tastes, compared to how... industrial the felt the original, I guess?

Like, it's really fucking great, but I miss the mood the original music had. But I mean, I'm sure we're going to have a shitton of renditions with the same themes and all than songs in the original (like, the Scorpion Guard battle music is a mix between the reactor song and the boss music).

The trailer felt weird with regards to dialogue, but what I'm seeing in the game per se actually sounds quite good (even though my first playthought will be in Japanese).

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit torn regarding the music. I feel some tunes are way too orchestrated for my tastes, compared to how... industrial the felt the original, I guess?

Like, it's really fucking great, but I miss the mood the original music had. But I mean, I'm sure we're going to have a shitton of renditions with the same themes and all than songs in the original (like, the Scorpion Guard battle music is a mix between the reactor song and the boss music).

The trailer felt weird with regards to dialogue, but what I'm seeing in the game per se actually sounds quite good (even though my first playthought will be in Japanese).
They're remixing the sounds to sound more orchestrated, which personally I'm really not a fan of. I generally prefer music to sound more video gamey, more simple in composition and catchy, rather than sounding grandiose and movie soundtrack like with bunch of instruments involved. Maybe it's old man yelling at cloud thing. I hope they give us option to use the original soundtrack or the new version.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Goddamn, just seeing that first battle shows me that the combat system has the potential to be MUCH more enjoyable than FF XV (and I'm a fan of that game).

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah only thing i don't like is the remix of the soundtrack. I don't know, it's too... orchestrates? Too epic? I really love the instruments and sounds of the original, they capture the cyberpunk atmosphere better, as well as those crazy prog rock grooves. Hope some are still in, or maybe even the possibility to switch between versions.

Everything else is p e r f e c t.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
They're remixing the sounds to sound more orchestrated, which personally I'm really not a fan of. I generally prefer music to sound more video gamey, more simple in composition and catchy, rather than sounding grandiose and movie soundtrack like. Maybe it's old man yelling at cloud thing. I hope they give us option to use the original soundtrack or the new version.
No, I totally get you and agree.

Like, the reactor song sounds great in the remake (the Prelude sounds perfect btw), but there's a lack of a punch when certain "harsher" sounds (if that makes sense) are missing and are instead replaced by the piano. There's also a slightly slower pace in it, which kind of reduces the urgency and tension of the original. I miss the hammering noises.

I also admit I have insane nostalgia googles with the PSX FFs, although I'm loving about everything shown so far (except for the Keepers of Fate), so I don't think it's that. Still, I feel bad complaining about this, as the music is amazing in the remake so far, but yeah...

EDIT: regular battles in the reactor have very interesting music, essentially adapting some Bombing Mission soundtrack themes. We're seeing that quite a bit, so I don't know if that's going to be mostly for the reactor or found across the entire game. I really, really like that, although I also hope we get some tracks that are essentially like the original.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It looks interesting but I'm still kinda worried about the battle system. I kinda want it to be less of an action game, but I imagine I'm in the minority when it comes to remakes (I'm a "fixed cameras" kinda guy when it comes to REmakes, for reference).

I hope you can just hold the attack button to do autocombos to fill up ATB instead of having to press it. The Eurogamer clip shows the player seemingly mashing square when playing as Barrett and it just does a three shot combo. It looks to be such a short burst it would be less annoying to just hold the button.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

Just realized 4gamer's video has some boss battle theme with some parts we didn't hear from E3 demo, without any commentary which is nice..

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the voice acting sound much better here. could still improve but it doesn't remind me of a bunch of B-tier animes at least.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It looks interesting but I'm still kinda worried about the battle system. I kinda want it to be less of an action game, but I imagine I'm in the minority when it comes to remakes (I'm a "fixed cameras" kinda guy when it comes to REmakes, for reference).

I hope you can just hold the attack button to do autocombos to fill up ATB instead of having to press it. The Eurogamer clip shows the player seemingly mashing square when playing as Barrett and it just does a three shot combo. It looks to be such a short burst it would be less annoying to just hold the button.
You can hold the button as Barret (you can see that in other demo playthroughs), but you have to mash it as Cloud, I believe.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was an English video without any commentary (no, the thread mark videos don't count :< ...)

Please square release this demo on the PSN. 6 months is too long with just passively watching rather than being involved

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe other tracks will have a stronger synth/guitar component. Or rather, hopefully. But I still dig what they did with the Scorpion Boss theme, since it's a mix of Bombing Mission and Still More Fighting I assume it's unique to this fight.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im still unsure how this game will pan out.

How many chapters/episodes? How long until they finish between each one? What about cross-gen since this will Carry over to PS5? Is there a whole team working on this or just a few people making each chapter?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
nSiPKtt.gif

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Im still unsure how this game will pan out.

How many chapters/episodes? How long until they finish between each one? What about cross-gen since this will Carry over to PS5? Is there a whole team working on this or just a few people making each chapter?
We aren't getting answers to those questions any time soon.

They probably won't mention "Part 2" until at least a year from now. The only thing they have said about it is that they are not working on it.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, at least they have the base now. Part 2's production shouldn't be as crazy long with that out of the way.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I feel like the hype for this is going to be over the rainbows pretty soon. It looks really damn sweet.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful title screen

http:///1WDd.png
Very cool, but I think an all black background, maybe with a more minimalistic logo or graphic somewhere highlighting one of the more relevant aspects of the chapter would make more sense...

Can't wait to watch these videos :)

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I have this preordered since what, 2014? 2015? But of course it comes out 5 weeks after my gf delivers our boy ;_;

Now I want a pocket edition too :p

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think you guys having issues with the combat are nuts. Looks like a perfect blend of two systems. Still can't believe the FF7 Remake is the game I am most hyped about right now

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
People will call me crazy but I'd rather have the old ps1 soundtrack playing than the new orchestrated one. Orchestrated for everything just doesn't fit for most of the tracks. Hopefully the full game will prove me wrong.