• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty. Don't care for the arrangement of the Mako Reactor theme. I think orchestrating it makes it lose it's cold, mechanical feel. Particularly choosing piano over the part where the chimes/bells should've played. The "Ding-Dong...Dong-ding" part sounds much better, IMO, with bells.
Yeah, that bell note made it sound like impending doom and fit with the nightmarish reactor setting. It would've worked even better considering that ding dong sound would echo throughout the entire massive 3D reactor. I hope the other songs keep the same vibe or improve them.

Does anybody know who's doing the soundtrack?

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
The Eurogamer gameplay video also has the title screen of the demo, and you can hear the prelude.

It sounds AMAZING.

You can also hear the music better in this vid, as the player doesn't talk all the time while playing.

Man, that footage was nice but the player not holding down Square to attack as Barret is really, really frustrating to me.

We have to be getting a demo, right?

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
From the two tracks we hear, I'm really not impressed with the music. It feels way too overly cinematic without any of the iconic sounds that tied every track together. The reactor theme is probably fine and I haven't heard enough other tracks to make a proper judgement on the exploration themes, but man what plays in battle is a bummer.

The cinematic sound and the gameplay doesn't really pair all the time, for example when what could be happening on-screen (menu selection) is not as exciting as the music wants to make it out to be. The music almost feels overproduced and not very memorable as a result.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Awwww I was hoping they would show the mission briefing. It plays the Shinra music.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This is probably the best action rpg battle system ive seen. Let's hope it holds up in more chaotic encounters

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Mmm. Final Fantasy 7, with Chrono Trigger style in-place battle transitions, and Kingdom Hearts style action combat.

It's basically the the Square Greatest Hits Supercut.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Is there any new gameplay? We saw all this at e3. I guess the trailer was fire but I was hoping they would show a different part.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really great, but it shows its pushing the current hardware to its limits.
It will look amazing on the PS5 for sure.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I imagine the original battle music will be used for mini bosses or something. It'll be somewhere for sure.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
OMG could these commentators just shut the fuck up and let us enjoy the ambiance for one goddamn second??

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
From the two tracks we hear, I'm really not impressed with the music. It feels way too overly cinematic without any of the iconic sounds that tied every track together. The reactor theme is probably fine and I haven't heard enough other tracks to make a proper judgement on the exploration themes, but man what plays in battle is a bummer.

The cinematic sound and the gameplay doesn't really pair all the time, for example when what could be happening on-screen (menu selection) is not as exciting as the music wants to make it out to be. The music almost feels overproduced and not very memorable as a result.
While I'm not against the concept that they're implementing here of multilayered tracks (dynamic tunes kicking in during battle) but the normal themes feel less interesting to me personally as well. The first time I saw this tactic being used that I remember were the .hack quarantine PS2 games and I've been a fan of it ever since.

Right now the Mako Theme for example just sounds like a budget version of the theme that plays when Tidus washes up alone on an island in the beginning of FFX to me for some reason.

The little use of a piano version of Sephiroth's theme was a nice touch though. I like the fight system but the music for the boss battle really goes over the top and devolves into a nonsense melody after a while.

EDIT: Oh god they made Barrett do the Prompto thing where he hums the victory theme after the fighting. Yep Barret's not staying in my party when I can swap him out lol

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
They're still hiding how materia system works, and that's worrying me. I know they're placing more emphasis on the action combat itself, but I really hope they don't neglect the materia customization aspect of the gameplay. If I want to play an action rpg I have plenty of choices out there. I come to FFVII's gameplay because of materias and all the fun materia combinations.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
While I'm not against the concept that they're implementing here of multilayered tracks (dynamic tunes kicking in during battle) but the normal themes feel less interesting to me personally as well. The first time I saw this tactic being used that I remember were the .hack quarantine PS2 games and I've been a fan of it ever since.

Right now the Mako Theme for example just sounds like a budget version of the theme that plays when Tidus washes up alone on an island in the beginning of FFX to me for some reason.

The little use of a piano version of Sephiroth's theme was a nice touch though. I like the fight system but the music for the boss battle really goes over the top and devolves into a nonsense melody after a while.

EDIT: Oh god they made Barrett do the Prompto thing where he hums the victory theme after the fighting. Yep Barret's not staying in my party when I can swap him out lol

I'm fine with different phases, it's just that each different phase is way over the place. Something like Nier Automata or even Gestalt/Replicant is what I'd prefer, where each track feels like proper video game music but with phases.

They're still hiding how materia system works, and that's worrying me. I know they're placing more emphasis on the action combat itself, but I really hope they don't neglect the materia customization aspect of the gameplay. If I want to play an action rpg I have plenty of choices out there. I come to FFVII's gameplay because of materias and all the fun materia combinations.
There's a confirmed materia growth system, they just haven't shown it yet.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man idk about the orchestra in the reactor music, i think It changes the style of the original music those metalic industrial sounds, i liked that in the original.
I Hope not everything is orchestra/classic.
I already miss the rock of the fighting musics :/

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard an orchestrated version of the Mako Reactor theme that manages to capture the ominous dread exemplified by the original synths. Midgar is practically a cyberpunk city. Give us synths!

Btw who is handling these arrangements? Really not hearing Uematsu's style here. Boss theme shifted pretty far towards "cinematic" and away from prog rock.

Love the idea of each area having its own battle theme derived from the area's theme, though. Nothing is more archaic in JRPGs than having a single "battle theme" that plays endlessly a million times.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on whether those damage numbers can be toggled? Can't remember what XV allowed you to do in that regard.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Combat reminds me of Mass Effect. I am so fucking glad it's not just an over the shoulder wannabe action game or anything it's actually an rpg game still. I'm surprised after being pessimistic about this.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Wow, so this will be on PS4? come on black friday be good on Pro sales.

Oct 25, 2017
All I wanna know is how far it goes into the story and how long it'll be before part 2/3/4 etc comes out. If this game is just Midgar I'm gonna be pissed.