• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
So they'll never get through the game then. Midgar is 3 hours out of 50-60+. Unless they just skip open maps etc and just hit major story beats.

This will be an expanded Midgar, with a lot of new content and (presumably) much more area to explore than the original. New story beats, expanded story beats, new characters, expanded development of old characters, more sectors, etc. It'll tell the story of the resistance group Avalanche trying to bring down the nefarious Shin-Ra corporation in a city teeming with class imbalance and oppression. It'll be made to feel like a full game. Sequels will likely go the expected paths of (OG spoilers)
the broken remnants of Avalanche on the run in a vast world, while also following the path of the mysterious Sephiroth, followed by ShinRa's eventual collapse and concentrating on stopping Sephiroth/Jenova from destroying the planet.
Now, I have no idea how many parts this will be, but the progression, when broken down, isn't that dissimilar to A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi. That's a saga that tells a large story in multiple parts.

I feel like there needs to be a stickied primer thread or something - at least BOLD bullet-points at the start of all FFVII-R threads, because the amount of confusion with this game is still persisting, despite this info being out there since June.

-FFV-R is Midgar only. It's big and expanded. It's not 1:1 based on the original. Some things will be different.
-We don't know how many parts yet.
-No, there is no PART 1 on the box.

Oct 25, 2017
So they'll never get through the game then. Midgar is 3 hours out of 50-60+. Unless they just skip open maps etc and just hit major story beats.

The people that manage to do regularly do Midgar in 3 hours aren't the same people that somehow take 50 hours to do the rest of the game. Midgar is 20-25% of the game, but the later parts can take a lot longer because that's where the side content is. This game will almost certainly have some open parts with side content that wasn't in the original.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This will be an expanded Midgar, with a lot of new content and (presumably) much more area to explore than the original. New story beats, expanded story beats, new characters, expanded development of old characters, more sectors, etc. It'll tell the story of the resistance group Avalanche trying to bring down the nefarious Shin-Ra corporation in a city teeming with class imbalance and oppression. It'll be made to feel like a full game. Sequels will likely go the expected paths of (OG spoilers)
the broken remnants of Avalanche on the run in a vast world, while also following the path of the mysterious Sephiroth, followed by ShinRa's eventual collapse and concentrating on stopping Sephiroth/Jenova from destroying the planet.
Now, I have no idea how many parts this will be, but the progression, when broken down, isn't that dissimilar to A New Hope/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi. That's a saga that tells a large story in multiple parts.

I feel like there needs to be a stickied primer thread or something - at least BOLD bullet-points at the start of all FFVII-R threads, because the amount of confusion with this game is still persisting, despite this info being out there since June.

-FFV-R is Midgar only. It's big and expanded. It's not 1:1 based on the original. Some things will be different.
-We don't know how many parts yet.
-No, there is no PART 1 on the box.
I like to think of it as Midgar being expanded to the first act of the story, rather than just a prologue. Who knows if it'll work, but it's not like we're getting a game that only tells five hours worth of story.

I remember reading that Midgar was actually almost a third of VII's script anyway. The story slowed way down once you got out into the world.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I think it sounds a lot better than XV's combat. Seems like a nice blend of the OG ATB and a real time system.

But I also hated XV's combat, so beating it won't be hard for me.
Same.
I think this combat looks great, a really good mix like you said. I wasn't expecting so much ATB in a game that was moving towards action before the big E3 reveal.
Like others have said, hopefully we get to play the demo too.

nSiPKtt.gif
So gooood.

I opened the Eurogamer video and was fully ready to watch, but when I heard the first four notes of the mako reactor theme I closed the video. I'm just fucking ready. I'm so ready. I don't need to see any more, I just want the game at this point. This is going to be a long 6 months.
Haha yeah, I'm ready now lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I am so jealous yet so excited for you VII folks. I can only dream of something like this for VIII, but I look forward to playing this.

MAN!

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The demo look insane good, but a little too much on the easy side ? Any mention of difficulty setting ? FFXV was garbage on that aspect

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Wow the Japanese VA is so good. I usually prefer the English VA but I don't like how cartoony it sounds.