• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode Midgar / final boss: Rufus

Episode Aerith / final boss: Jenova

Episode Reunion / final boss: Sephiroth

Believe!

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The last line about a FFVI remake... After FFVIIR, if it's successful, I hope to see FFVIII or FFIX remake as well ahah.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Ehh, I don't know. It's not about play time or file size, but sheer variety of assets and scenarios. FFVII has an huge amount of unique locations, set-pieces, cutscenes etc. and they all have to be fully modelled with highest fidelity compared to the original's handful of pre-rendered screens per area and the unvoiced, simply-animated cutscenes. If they cut story beats, people would complain. If they didn't cut anything, but compromised quality making many big moments feel unpolished and janky like some of the large boss-battles/set-pieces in FFXV for example, then people would also complain.

The number of unique scenarios and set-pieces is much higher than other AAA RPGs (I beat TW3, AC:O, and Horizon) and there's no comparable FF either scope-wise. FFXV is probably a third of FFVII at best w.r.t. main story content. Correct me if you think I'm wrong though, and if you can name another AAA RPG with a comparable scale.
Yea I can't agree with this. A game like Mass Effect 3 doesn't compare to the scale of FFVII? How? What parts of FFVII are so out there that recreating them in current standards is such a task they need to split it in to multiple parts? Like I said, I'm not buying it. Heck i'd even be willing to go through & list every section of FFVII to understand what is there that is making ppl believe this. I'd understand if this were a 16 bit era FF where due to limitations you could put in so many things that would be painstaking to recreate in 3D but this was a 3D game created at the birth of try 3D gaming & if they could fit it on 3 PS1 discs it can fit in one single game today.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Maybe I'm overexaggerating and trying to justify the decision, but I can't think of a way how SE could fully remake FFVII on state-of-the-art level in reasonable time, like, let's say 5-6 years and then for it to make sense business-wise to sell it as just one single game - and ideally a good to great game.
And now you see why it's split. Because they can sell it 3 times

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty nice interview. I'm still glad that the executive staff for the project are the old guard from when the original game was released, but it's kind of cool to know that the dev staff is composed of people who played and loved the original as kids.

My excitement for the game took a hit when I accepted that SE doesn't do turn-based anymore in big-budget games, but it's been coming back bit by bit since then. I think I'll be happy to revisit the FF7 world in whatever form that takes, even if I prefer the old gameplay.

Episode Midgar / final boss: Rufus

Episode Aerith / final boss: Jenova

Episode Reunion / final boss: Sephiroth

Believe!

Plausible, but I still hope the first segment isn't confined to Midgar. I think it'd be much more exciting to let players experience the world beyond before asking them to wait for the next release. Up through Junon and culminating in Jenova-Birth is my ideal.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Plausible, but I still hope the first segment isn't confined to Midgar. I think it'd be much more exciting to let players experience the world beyond before asking them to wait for the next release. Up through Junon and culminating in Jenova-Birth is my ideal.

Fighting Jenova-Birth inside some small boat isn't very exciting at all for a final boss, especially right after seeing Red XIII dressed up in a Shinra outfit.

ubercheez

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting Jenova-Birth inside some small boat isn't very exciting at all for a final boss, especially right after seeing Red XIII dressed up in a Shinra outfit.

Guess we'll have to disagree there. I thought that fight was memorable as hell. :)

Also, I am going to laugh my ass off if they actually preserve the dog-stuffed-in-a-suit gag for Red XIII.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Part 1 - 2025 PS5
Part 2 - 2035 PS6
Part 3 - 2045 PS7
Complete edition PS8 Launch Title 2050

Whos hype?
Lol, No.

Part 1 - 2025 PS5
Part 1 Remaster - 2026 PS6
Part 2 - 2028 PS6
Part 2.5 - 2031 PS7
Part 1.5 + 2.5 - 2032 PS7
Part 3 (Including 1 + 2) - end of year 2033 PS7

FF 7 : Remake Complete Edition (including all DLC) - 2035 PS7

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
For example, let's say when a certain enemy in Final Fantasy VII attacked they would shoot out red fire, but maybe there wasn't much meaning behind that red color. If it were today, I would think more along the lines of 'This enemy was born here or there, they use these kinds of weapons, because of the energy source it shoots out red fire, and explodes with smoke.'

Well no wonder the game's taking so long, they're giving Hell House a backstory.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I can't agree with this. A game like Mass Effect 3 doesn't compare to the scale of FFVII? How? What parts of FFVII are so out there that recreating them in current standards is such a task they need to split it in to multiple parts? Like I said, I'm not buying it. Heck i'd even be willing to go through & list every section of FFVII to understand what is there that is making ppl believe this. I'd understand if this were a 16 bit era FF where due to limitations you could put in so many things that would be painstaking to recreate in 3D but this was a 3D game created at the birth of try 3D gaming & if they could fit it on 3 PS1 discs it can fit in one single game today.
And now you see why it's split. Because they can sell it 3 times
Again, this has nothing to do with disc size and that's not what Kitase means when he says "couldn't possibly fit into one instalment". FFXV doesn't fit on one Blu-ray either anyway and has dozens of gigs of patches added to the base version that's on disc. Also that comparison, lol. 3 PS1 discs together are ~2GB and FFXV right now is around 90GB or so.

And the part you quoted in your second post I kinda worded weirdly. The business factor is just one reason, but I also can't see them even being able to create a theoretical full single-game remake in just 5-6 years in the first place. The last part will probably be out in 2023/2024 which would be 10 years from when they started in around 2014, so how would they do that in half the time?

Regarding your ME3 question: I might get back to this later if I have more time.

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Again, this has nothing to do with disc size and that's not what Kitase means when he says "couldn't possibly fit into one installment". FFXV doesn't fit on one Blu-ray either anyway and has dozens of gigs of patches added to the base version that's on disc. Also that comparison, lol. 3 PS1 discs together are ~2GB and FFXV right now is around 90GB or so.

And the part you quoted in your second post I kinda worded weirdly. The business factor is just one reason, but I also can't see them even being able to create a theoretical full single-game remake in just 5-6 years in the first place. The last part will probably be out in 2023/2024 which would be 10 years from when they started in around 2014, so how would they do that in half the time?

Regarding your ME3 question: I might get back to this later if I have more time.
ok, maybe i worded the disc part weirdly as well. certainly it's not just about space. To me the business factor is the main reason. Like i said, the games we have seen since were made in single installments and in 5 or so years. They are being ridiculous about this IMO, not trying to be an armchair developer and saying it wont take lots of time and hardwork but they are discussing it like it'll be something along the lines of that which we have never seen or experienced before.

So im going to try and (loosely & quickly) list all the parts of FFVII and try to examine what about that game would require multiple installments.

Characters
- a large collection of protagonists/antagonists, common in most RPGs.
- 9 playable characters (nothing out of the ordinary) / 3 on screen at a time during gameplay
- various NPCs in locations, #s would increase where necessary (towns etc)

Combat
- was totally revamped (a mistake if you ask me)
- changed from turn based to active battle a la kingdom hearts/FFXV
- summons will change because of this, probably work like FFXV
- as will materia

Locations
- im assuming this is the big one
- there's about 48 locations, not counting sub sections of those locations. and this is where most people say the "too big to fit in one installment" thing originates from.
- my thing about that is, although these are "unique" locations. it's not unheard of given the size of each location isnt acutally that big. the way locations were set up in ps1 era rpgs, winding roads and random encounters made location seem a lot longer and larger than they were. now that random combat is out and the design will change due to the new camera, this means they have to redesign almost every location, which is their own doing.
- but im still not understanding what here requires multiple installments unless in redoing every single area they are essentially going to make each section on the overworld an "episode" (midgar, west continent, north continent, others) but because the story does not work that way, they will essentially have to split it up into chapters of progression.

FMVs
-
now if they decide to redo these instead of going with inengine, then i dont even know what to say

so that's a rough estimate of me looking at how they are approaching to pillars of this remake. and outside of locations, i just dont see why and how it "needs" to be done in installments otherwise there would need to be cuts

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just how far along are they? Reading these interviews I always get the impression that they've barely started.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
ok, maybe i worded the disc part weirdly as well. certainly it's not just about space. To me the business factor is the main reason. Like i said, the games we have seen since were made in single installments and in 5 or so years. They are being ridiculous about this IMO, not trying to be an armchair developer and saying it wont take lots of time and hardwork but they are discussing it like it'll be something along the lines of that which we have never seen or experienced before.

So im going to try and (loosely & quickly) list all the parts of FFVII and try to examine what about that game would require multiple installments.

Characters
- a large collection of protagonists/antagonists, common in most RPGs.
- 9 playable characters (nothing out of the ordinary) / 3 on screen at a time during gameplay
- various NPCs in locations, #s would increase where necessary (towns etc)

Combat
- was totally revamped (a mistake if you ask me)
- changed from turn based to active battle a la kingdom hearts/FFXV
- summons will change because of this, probably work like FFXV
- as will materia

Locations
- im assuming this is the big one
- there's about 48 locations, not counting sub sections of those locations. and this is where most people say the "too big to fit in one installment" thing originates from.
- my thing about that is, although these are "unique" locations. it's not unheard of given the size of each location isnt acutally that big. the way locations were set up in ps1 era rpgs, winding roads and random encounters made location seem a lot longer and larger than they were. now that random combat is out and the design will change due to the new camera, this means they have to redesign almost every location, which is their own doing.
- but im still not understanding what here requires multiple installments unless in redoing every single area they are essentially going to make each section on the overworld an "episode" (midgar, west continent, north continent, others) but because the story does not work that way, they will essentially have to split it up into chapters of progression.

FMVs
-
now if they decide to redo these instead of going with inengine, then i dont even know what to say

so that's a rough estimate of me looking at how they are approaching to pillars of this remake. and outside of locations, i just dont see why and how it "needs" to be done in installments otherwise there would need to be cuts
It doesn't matter how big or small areas are, what matters is how many unique assets they need to make and how long that takes, and for FFVII this is a very large number. Games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim have a ton of asset reuse for all their environments and towns (thats why they have relatively small install sizes), but this isn't as easy to do for a VII Remake due to the very different styles of all the areas and cities.
Just take all the different sections and areas you visit in Midgar, thats a lot of different looking environments in itself already and a ton of unique assets to create, especially when the want to expand it in the remake. I wouldn't even be surprised if Midgar alone needs a comparable amount of assets to be made like Skyrim or Witcher do as a whole.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter how big or small areas are, what matters is how many unique assets they need to make and how long that takes, and for FFVII this is a very large number. Games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim have a ton of asset reuse for all their environments and towns (thats why they have relatively small install sizes), but this isn't as easy to do for a VII Remake due to the very different styles of all the areas and cities.
Just take all the different sections and areas you visit in Midgar, thats a lot of different looking environments in itself already and a ton of unique assets to create, especially when the want to expand it in the remake. I wouldn't even be surprised if Midgar alone needs a comparable amount of assets to be made like Skyrim or Witcher do as a whole.

Not to mention Witcher 3 has 1 playable character (with one small side character who has the same weapons/fighting style as geralt). Square Enix has to make sword combat/animations for Cloud, Gun arm combat/animations for barrett, hand to hand combat for tifa, animal fighting for Red XIII, Staff combat for Aerith, weird cait sith combat, gun combat for Vincent, and spear combat for Cid. Then they have to balance the game to where everyone isn't overpowered or underpowered. Now combine that with all the different magic and summons that the characters will likely have. This is an enormous project.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
They will most certainly reuse assets though, and this is why i brought up a game like mass effect 3 which has a huge number of unique assets. and why i didnt compare tw3 or skyrim which can reuse a lot because the game more or less all takes place in the same general area.

Not to mention Witcher 3 has 1 playable character (with one small side character who has the same weapons/fighting style as geralt). Square Enix has to make sword combat/animations for Cloud, Gun arm combat/animations for barrett, hand to hand combat for tifa, animal fighting for Red XIII, Staff combat for Aerith, weird cait sith combat, gun combat for Vincent, and spear combat for Cid. Then they have to balance the game to where everyone isn't overpowered or underpowered. Now combine that with all the different magic and summons that the characters will likely have. This is an enormous project.
i already brought up the combat part. they chose to do that themselves. they werent required to revamp the entire combat system.

Deleted member 11986

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Guess those "The Big O" negotiation scenes worth it.

EDIT: Geez. Wrong topic! lol! Well leave it there for historical purposes.

Last edited:

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018

Guess those "The Big O" negotiation scenes worth it.

giphy.gif

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
One stupid thing I'm wondering about is the weapons. I would have to revisit the game, but I remember most Cloud's weapons being really ugly except for a few (I hated Ultima weapon too). They, like many enemies, are most likely going to have a good redesign and recontextualization, if they decide to keep them in the game.

Preemptive RIP for my homie here:
latest

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw some interesting comments on Reddit in the thread about this interview from a user named Dan Tsukasa, a Game Dev/3D Artist working in Japan (he's followed by Swery and ex-FFXV Lead Designer Wan Hazmer on Twitter). There are some technical comments on VFX creation in Unreal and stuff, but I'm just gonna quote his comments about FFVIIR's development and the issues he heard about from when it was still developed by CyberConnect2 1-2 years ago.

Source.
oof dosent soubd so hot, thanks koozek

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Every time I read something about FFVIIR I have a chill down my spine... SE is shotting themselves on foot.... I want to be wrong... please be wrong... makes me a fool SE.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tifa is still going to pick up and suplex Godzilla-sized monsters effortlessly, right?

This isn't going to be a "Well it's not realistic since she's a petite woman" excuse, is it?