• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Someone just come take my wallet now. These two months are nuts.

ifzMmDa.png
200.gif

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It doesn't matter how you word it. It's a full game and not an episodic one.
It's kinda both. It's a full game in and of itself that is also the first part of an overarching narrative. That said, the term "episodic" has different connotations in the games industry so when people hear it, they immediately think it's going to be a couple hours long.

Still, the idea that they should delay it to move it closer to the next part is kind of silly. You don't delay The Last of Us so that its closer to The Last of Us Part II. Square is treating this game as their next big release.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just push it back further towards September and use that extra time.

Terrible month.

And wait... The game was planned to release earlier? I thought this game was due for a Summer/Fall release?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Good. The overreactions in this thread are ridiculous. Better to release it and ensure it's a functional product rather than release something that needs fixing over a course of several years like FFXV all over again.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
They've not publically announced how many parts or when

I'm expecting a roadmap to be released realistically within a few weeks of launch

If I had to bet since everything's in full production flow...

April 20: FFVII part 1 PS4
April 21: FFVII part 1 PS5, XSX, PC version
November 21: part 2 PS5, XSX, PC, PS4 (?)
November 22: part 3 + special collectors complete editions PS5, XSX, PC, PS4
Bleh. Seeing all that waiting does not amuse me. :P

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind both. It's a full game in and of itself that is also the first part of an overarching narrative. That said, the term "episodic" has different connotations in the games industry so when people hear it, they immediately think it's going to be a couple hours long.

That said, the idea that they should delay it to move it closer to the next part is kind of silly. You don't delay The Last of Us so that its closer to The Last of Us Part II. Square is treating this game as their next big release.
But why would the hold a release to be closer to the sequel(LoU example)? Not the best analogy as FF7 part 1 is just that part 1 of a cohesive 3 part whole (stats and stuff supposed to carry over.) which leads it to the episodic title. While it is a full game, it's definitely episodic.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The amount of people who are worried about buying this game so close to RE3 and Cyberpunk is weird to me. You were planning on buying it anyway, why not just not worry about playing it day 1 if it'll stress you out?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda disagree. Fellowship of the Ring is a full book / movie but it's an episode in a series and an incomplete story by itself

How does this prove that it's not a complete game? Is God of War an incomplete game too?

This game will have a beginning, middle and ending. It's not an episodic release but a multi part franchise.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
It's the intention of Square Enix that each "Part" off the Remake Project is a full game in and of itself. Think of it as structured like Star Wars episodes as opposed to Telltale games. It's best to think of VIIRemake Part 1 as it's own AAA release because that's how Square is treating it.
This game ends when you complete Midgar - that is not a complete game - it's a complete part 1 of a larger game that will have other parts released for it to then make it a complete experience.
It doesn't matter how you word it. It's a full game and not an episodic one.
You can word it however you would like to; but it is still part 1 of a larger game experience. Anyone that's played through the original Final Fantasy VII would be seriously disappointed to find out that this remake ends right after Midgar and is not the complete experience - if they were not already aware that this is only part 1.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
How does this prove that it's not a complete game? Is God of War an incomplete game too?

This game will have a beginning, middle and ending. It's not an episodic release but a multi part franchise.
There is no point in arguing it. Folks will continue to associate VIIRemake with a tell tales episodic format. There are people today that think that they are legitimately getting a 4-5 hour experience when these two discs launch for VIIRemake's first part.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
This game ends when you complete Midgar - that is not a complete game - it's a complete part 1 of a larger game that will have other parts released for it to then make it a complete experience.
So are you saying that, even if this is a 30-40 hour game experience with its own narrative arc (the escalating war between Ecoterreorist group Avalanche and MegaCorp Power Company Shinra), it can't be considered a full game because the material it's built upon goes farther than that?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
So are you saying that, even if this is a 30-40 hour game experience with its own narrative arc (the escalating war between Ecoterreorist group Avalanche and MegaCorp Power Company Shinra), it can't be considered a full game because the material it's built upon goes farther than that?
I can't say it any clearer than I did in that post. Let's say that this wasn't a remake and this was the first time Final Fantasy VII ever released. Only then could we say it was "complete", because we wouldn't know what is supposed to come after it. It's like watching The Fellowship of the Rings and just leaving it at that, even though people tell you "Hey, there's two more parts you can watch - and then there's the Hobbit movies, etc."

Also based on what you just said, you couldn't consider it complete based on that narrative arc because none of what you just mentioned is fully resolved until disc 3 at the very end of Final Fantasy VII.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I can't say it any clearer than I did in that post. Let's say that this wasn't a remake and this was the first time Final Fantasy VII ever released. Only then could we say it was "complete", because we wouldn't know what is supposed to come after it. It's like watching The Fellowship of the Rings and just leaving it at that, even though people tell you "Hey, there's two more parts you can watch - and then there's the Hobbit movies, etc."

Also based on what you just said, you couldn't consider it complete based on that narrative arc because none of what you just mentioned is fully resolved until disc 3 at the very end of Final Fantasy VII.
This is going to be a remake of an old game split into sections that are a whole game's worth of content. In what universe does that not constitute a whole game? Are movies, shows, or games that end with cliffhangers or "and the story continues!" type endings not whole stories?

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I just put in a vacation request for the original date yesterday!

My friend took time off for the original FFXV release date, a whole week, and the game got delayed and he couldn't backtrack the request. Plus it was XV, hopefully that isn't what happens to me with this.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Is this the full game or are they still going episodic? I was tempted as I never (shock horror) played the original.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, basically every story is incomplete until you die, amirite?

Why the snark?

You can read Fellowship as a tale in itself quite happily and I say in my post you quote it's a full book / movie?

But it's still also just an episode in a broader story. You still want to know what happens to Frodo.

In no way am I dissing what S-E are going for here

I guess the better comparison if there was one is Star Wars A New Hope. That's far more self contained but also part of a trilogy

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy about this. It means I can probably finish my playthrough of FFVII before release!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously not a huge deal, but I was really happy about FF7 being ahead of the rush instead of in the middle of it. I'm someone that usually chips away at games by playing like 2 hours a day and was happy I could play FF7 without it competing for my time with other long games. Now it's sandwiched between P5R, Cyberpunk and RE3, so some games are gonna have to be sidelined more than I wanted. FF7 is my biggest priority though, so this affects my time with other games more than hurting itself.
Yeah, it's not too long but it had a perfect time. Same here, it doesn't really change anything for me since it has priority over the other big games for me.

Actually that reminds me, feels like there hasn't been much Cyberpunk advertising so it's probably getting delayed too, though I'm not in a rush to play it since it's first person so I probably can't play too much at a time.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
But The Fellowship of the Ring was still treated as if it was a full film. It was given the budget of a full film, it had its release schedule as a full film. Considering that we're discussing release schedules, that's kind of an important distinction to make.

No one said "They should delay Fellowship of the RIng to make it release closer to The Two Towers".

Is this the full game or are they still going episodic? I was tempted as I never (shock horror) played the original.
It only covers the first portion of the overall narrative of FFVII, but Square's goal is to make that portion the size and scope of a modern Final Fantasy game in and of itself.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Final Fantasy VII is a complete game that is the story of
a rag tag group racing against time to stop an ancient alien and prevent an extinction event

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a complete game that is the story of
a revolutionary group fighting to bring down a nefarious corporation trying to suck the lifeblood out of the planet

See? :D

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That's fine.

It's not like I don't have plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Fuck. I did not need this for my backlog man. CyberPunk 2077 and Final Fantasy VIIR within a week. Someone is getting put on the back burner and I dont know who

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
But The Fellowship of the Ring was still treated as if it was a full film. It was given the budget of a full film, it had its release schedule as a full film. Considering that we're discussing release schedules, that's kind of an important distinction to make.

No one said "They should delay Fellowship of the RIng to make it release closer to The Two Towers".

It only covers the first portion of the overall narrative of FFVII, but Square's goal is to make that portion the size and scope of a modern Final Fantasy game in and of itself.
I'm not saying they should just delay the release again to be closer to the inevitable part 2 - or should I say the required part 2 - I'm saying that releasing it less than a week before Cyberpunk 2077 is an insane decision that only serves to cannibalize the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Having it as a "full game's worth of content" will still feel empty and lacking as the credits roll, because you know you'll have to wait several more years before you can continue even onto part 2 - let alone the parts they'll have to create after that. A complete experience is a one-and-done, to where you feel completely satisfied with nothing else to think about or learn about as they'll be nothing else coming for the experience you just had.

A remake being released in several parts and then calling them "complete games" sounds off to me, because you have to play all of the parts to have the complete experience.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Won't deny there will be backlash- that's inevitable on the internet. But both are trying to achieve different things. VIIR isn't being advertised as an open-world (errr... open-city) do-anything kind of game. It's a heavily cinematic JRPG with insane production values that happens to be the first part of a saga, a remake, to a legendary, 23-year old game. I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of people really excited for VIIR are excited to see things and hear things from their youth given a gigantic update. A more fully-explorable Midgar is just a plus, but that not being the case isn't going to really damage what the game ultimately is: a cinematic, story-driven experience.

On the other hand, speaking personally, I'm looking at CP2077 as a massive open-city exploration RPG sandbox where I make the choices and the story is much more adaptable to my play style. Again- a completely different thing than VIIR. I'd be surprised if people look at the two and those really anticipating VIIR would say "nah. 2077 is MUCH more explorable. I'm passing on VIIR". Those on the fence, maybe those that never played the original, sure... maybe I could see the difference in open-world size playing a part.

Pretty much nails my feelings on the two games, as someone in the bolded camp.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
you know what this news would have made easier to swallow? Releasing the frigging Demo! :(

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar's the best part of FF7 anyway.
I will agree with that👍
Broadly agree. Kalm and the flashback sequence really stood out to me though even 20 years on. Fantastic storytelling and the Sephiroth reveal was great. Looking forward to that in Remake immensely, albeit probably not in Part 1

I was literally luke warm on FF7 till I left Midgar... so HARD disagree (and FF7 is my fav game of all time)