• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Midgar's the best part of FF7 anyway.
giphy.gif

id say anything after the snow mountain area of disc 2 was more fun for me...

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Oh god. The reviewers are gonna be in overdrive for March and April

Glad I can take my time and savor all 3 of these games

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not saying they should just delay the release again to be closer to the inevitable part 2 - or should I say the required part 2 - I'm saying that releasing it less than a week before Cyberpunk 2077 is an insane decision that only serves to cannibalize the Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Having it as a "full game's worth of content" will still feel empty and lacking as the credits roll, because you know you'll have to wait several more years before you can continue even onto part 2 - let alone the parts they'll have to create after that. A complete experience is a one-and-done, to where you feel completely satisfied with nothing else to think about or learn about as they'll be nothing else coming for the experience you just had.

A remake being released in several parts and then calling them "complete games" sounds off to me, because you have to play all of the parts to have the complete experience.

Do people have the same feelings towards Barlog's new God of War run? It's very clear (and I'd be dumbfounded if even before release people assumed this would be a stand-alone, one-shot project) there will be more games with Elder Kratos and Atreus, yet 2018 God of War feels like a complete game. It has it's own story arc in the span of the story.

FFVII Remake can still feel like a complete game. (Spoilers for those going in fresh)
It will be about a group of freedom fighters and a merc fighting against an evil corporation. The merc will start gaining relationships through the story, experiencing legitimate character growth. The team will fight the President's efforts to stop them, defeat his son, and ultimately escape into the unknown, but they will have survived the oppressive city.
Doesn't that feel like a contained arc if you don't have knowledge of the original game? Its 'sequel' could very well be
Survivors of the Midgar events are being hunted by enemies left from the city, but they are also chasing their own mystery- the enigmatic Sephiroth and the threat of global annihilation! Or something like that.
Again, it can have its own complete arc and feel like a complete game.

And that's the thing. This is not Final Fantasy VII. That's a game that released in 1997 with a completely different overall story arc. Right or wrong, Square-Enix is looking at Final Fantasy VII Remake as a totally new game. It will have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Semantics to some I know, but it doesn't change the fact that's what it is.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Also the last part of Midgar is the best part is the best part of Midgar (boss, motorcycle, action, music)

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Juno is where I started to fall in love. Dunno if its my favorite part though

Juno is aces.

I think it's the variety on offer post Midgar that is a great package. Snowboarding. Snow areas. Go to Space. The Northern Crater. Cosmo Canyon. Go underwater and fight Weapons. Nibelhelm. Golden Saucer....

Just a steady stream of great areas with personality

Is that what happened with that game? I dunno.

I'm not a COD afficinado but I picked it up this year and whilst I had an ok time, every damn week it felt I was getting 10GB updates

Probably less than it felt

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Juno is aces.

I think it's the variety on offer post Midgar that is a great package. Snowboarding. Snow areas. Go to Space. The Northern Crater. Cosmo Canyon. Go underwater and fight Weapons. Nibelhelm. Golden Saucer....

Just a steady stream of great areas with personality
Also cant wait to see that dolphin scene. I wonder how they are going to handle the goofy shit in the game. They havent showed any of that stuff, like at all. Kinda worrying

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was literally luke warm on FF7 till I left Midgar... so HARD disagree (and FF7 is my fav game of all time)

I like how well paced Midgar is, plus I generally like the more sci-fi bent that the segment has. Not to say that the rest of the game doesn't have cool moments, but I'm perfectly fine with the FF7 remake plans spending more time in Midgar, assuming it's done well.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stop laughing.

"Rushed" is the very last word that comes to mind when I think of this remake project.
Seriously.

Wasn't the remake announced at E3 2014?

It's 2020 and they're just wrapping up Midgar.

They just started part 2 in Nov, and they still don't know how many parts the project will be.

That's awful management and planning

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seriously.

They just started part 2 in Nov, and they still don't know how many parts the project will be.

Started production in 2014. Unveiled in 2015.
Production halted and was changed completely in (I'm a little foggy here) late 2016, as the original lead development team at CyberConnect2 was let go from the Remake and they moved production in-house.
So we are looking at roughly two and a half solid years of work from the current production team.

The sequel should be much more stable as far as the production goes, as a lot of animations/assets/etc. have already been designed. The big question is: will shifting to next gen cause any major hurdles? Will they push for a cross-gen development so the sequel can hit PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, etc.? Time will tell.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Seriously.

Game devs can't keep release dates accurate within a few months, so... I don't know what you're expecting.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously.

It was E3 2015 announcement

IDK. I know they had issues with some outsourcing in relation to CC2 which may have slowed things down, they probably do at this point know what the roadmap is and all tool and pipeline flows are full throttle at this point

5 years ain't that bad and if they're going the whole hog I don't see an issue. It's a lot bigger in scope than something like Resident Evil 2 Remake

Am hoping for 16-18 months between parts and with the next generation incoming I don't think it'll feel that bad

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
It was E3 2015 announcement

IDK. I know they had issues with some outsourcing in relation to CC2 which may have slowed things down, they probably do at this point know what the roadmap is and all tool and pipeline flows are full throttle at this point

5 years ain't that bad and if they're going the whole hog I don't see an issue. It's a lot bigger in scope than something like Resident Evil 2 Remake

Am hoping for 16-18 months between parts and with the next generation incoming I don't think it'll feel that bad
This is where I am but I'm much more confident in it being 1.5 - 2 years between each release, and I'm also somehow confident that it'll only be a trilogy, so we'll have the final episode by late 2024 at the latest. I could be very very wrong though.

Jul 26, 2019
The Netherlands
Goddamn..! First The Last of Us p.2, now this..! I am expecting my first child in april; now 2 of the 3 games I wanted to 'therapeutically' play through in the month before the birth, are not an option anymore 😅!
The third game being Ori 2, so please, please please please let this still release in march 🤞😄!

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn the release date lined up with the week I take off but now its all screwed up. I cant believe I'm going to be shelving this game for a few weeks since I'll more than likely still be on my Nioh 2/ Resident Evil 3 runs.

Last edited:

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
If it needs more time in the oven so be it. A more polished experience will be appreciated.

A single month doesn't seem like a ton of time for much more polish, but I could be way off-base here.
Maybe even a little polish is enough for them to work out whatever it is they've seen recently that might be troubling production?
Regardless, I'm not getting too comfy here. I could see another delay happening, but I sincerely hope not. A Good Friday release is just very bizarre to me. Don't know if they thought that one through. Maybe copies will start shipping that Tuesday before?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
This is the most confusing part for me.

It's what also tells me this is not some corporate decision like FFXV was rumored to be.
It makes no sense. Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be popular enough to dominate a normal month all by itself; but sandwiching itself in between the Resident Evil 3 Remake and 6 days before Cyberpunk 2077 releases makes no logical, financial sense.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
It makes no sense. Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be popular enough to dominate a normal month all by itself; but sandwiching itself in between the Resident Evil 3 Remake and 6 days before Cyberpunk 2077 releases makes no logical, financial sense.
the really must have needed that month if they were willing to push it out of the fiscal year

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Sad about any sort of delay, but I'll be there regardless. No other game comes close to this for me in hype levels.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I'm definitely prioritizing cyberpunk over this. Hopefully that doesn't slip.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now everyone can experience the glory that is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon free of ony obstacles.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eh it's only a month delay so it's whatever, but now it's sandwiched right in between Resident Evil 3 and Cyberpunk lol.