• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Do people have the same feelings towards Barlog's new God of War run? It's very clear (and I'd be dumbfounded if even before release people assumed this would be a stand-alone, one-shot project) there will be more games with Elder Kratos and Atreus, yet 2018 God of War feels like a complete game. It has it's own story arc in the span of the story.

FFVII Remake can still feel like a complete game. (Spoilers for those going in fresh)
It will be about a group of freedom fighters and a merc fighting against an evil corporation. The merc will start gaining relationships through the story, experiencing legitimate character growth. The team will fight the President's efforts to stop them, defeat his son, and ultimately escape into the unknown, but they will have survived the oppressive city.
Doesn't that feel like a contained arc if you don't have knowledge of the original game? Its 'sequel' could very well be
Survivors of the Midgar events are being hunted by enemies left from the city, but they are also chasing their own mystery- the enigmatic Sephiroth and the threat of global annihilation! Or something like that.
Again, it can have its own complete arc and feel like a complete game.

And that's the thing. This is not Final Fantasy VII. That's a game that released in 1997 with a completely different overall story arc. Right or wrong, Square-Enix is looking at Final Fantasy VII Remake as a totally new game. It will have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Semantics to some I know, but it doesn't change the fact that's what it is.
My biggest complaint with GoW 2018 is that it felt like 1/3 of the story. The ending gave me blueballs and was was nothing more than, "Stay tuned for the sequel!"

TateRaken

Sep 11, 2018
Rio Rancho NM
I guess it's a good thing that I'm not interested in getting Resident evil 3 right away, and I'm gonna wait for a steam sale on cyberpunk. FFVII Remake will be the only game I get in april of those big three.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Keep delaying it if you're going to add more, I can wait. I've waited this long, it's not a problem. Hell, delay it until you complete the whole game - unless you're going to run out of money and skimp on it.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man... I originally thought of maybe taking some days off from work to play it. Good thing I decided against it.

Wouldn't be surprised if that demo is now coming out on March 3.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly too afraid of Animal Crossing

Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Tom Nook is here
Debt is your fear

Tom Nook is here
Debt is your fear
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Fishing, digging, catching bugs
Gotta build that collection

(Sunny weather, stormy weather,
sunny weather, stormy weather)

ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk is gonna have to punk out and delay into summer to get away from RemE3 and FF7. Someone might as well start making money in a period with no competition.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Sounds like this is falling off my radar until summer or something then. I'll be way too busy between Animal Crossing and Cyberpunk let alone the other backlog I'm working through

That said, it's definitely the right move, delay until they get it right

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
No problem at all. Developers should always feel empowered to take the time they need to get it right, though of course I know marketing and bottom-line realities aren't always that simple.

But based on what I played last year at E3 and PAX West, FFVII Remake is looking to be something quite special. I'd rather them delay and get everything as right as they can than rush it out the door even slightly before they're ready. There's puh-lenty to play in the meantime. Let it cook, get it right. :)

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
As other users have said, it's only another month. Pity it now releases so close to RE3 and Cyberpunk, though.

...in the meantime, how about that sweet demo to tide us over, Square?

tenor.gif

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

Tom Nook is here
Debt is your fear

Tom Nook is here
Debt is your fear
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
Let's make furniture
Place it well
Earn those bells
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!

ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!
ISABELLE!
I was sad about the delay but it gave us this post so it can't be all bad.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I made a decision.

I am cancelling my Cyberpunk preorder for the Remake. Cyberpunk can wait until Black Friday.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a few hours since hearing the news and I am still so bummed. Yeah, its only a month but the date was perfect with all other titles coming out.

This also kills Trials of Mana's sales as well.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but seriously what if we die before april 10th? what would happen to us?

damnit now I have to watch the demo 4k play-through 100 more times

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was coming out in April. just had it pre-ordered on amazon and when it comes it comes (i don't care but kinda do)

*dusts off shoulders, drunkenly stumbles out of room

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Seems like a fairly small delay really. This is a game that should be given as much time as possible. Fans have been waiting a long time and they're betting a lot on this game, you want to get it as right as possible.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
The delay itself isn't that bad really but I think pushing it back, so close to Cyberpunk's release is a very iffy idea, even with this being a huge profile title. I wonder if what the delay was needed for was something that couldn't be addressed with an update, or something related to financial reasons since it's pushing it right out of the fiscal year.

Either way, I think it's going to cut into some sales putting it up against CP2077, not to mention other big games coming out right in that period like RE3 as well. April this year already had way too many things packed into it and this isn't going to help it.