• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
April 10th is a national holiday here in Germany (Karfreitag) and apparently in Australia as well (Good Friday). SE you god damn idiots at least inform yourselves before choosing new dates.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
The delay itself isn't that bad really but I think pushing it back, so close to Cyberpunk's release is a very iffy idea, even with this being a huge profile title. I wonder if what the delay was needed for was something that couldn't be addressed with an update, or something related to financial reasons since it's pushing it right out of the fiscal year.

Either way, I think it's going to cut into some sales putting it up against CP2077, not to mention other big games coming out right in that period like RE3 as well. April this year already had way too many things packed into it and this isn't going to help it.
I don't think the FF7 remake has to worry anything about sales.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably just wait on it, then. I have a birthday a month later and I'd be likely to get it from someone I know.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
i was checking the main series
XV got delayed
XIV released on time
XIII got delayed
XII got delayed
XI i think got release on time
X got delayed
IX and before that i cand find much information

If anything FFX got the opposite of a delay. It was initially scheduled to release (in the US) in January 2002. Then it got bumped up to Monday, December 24th, then bumped up again, wisely, to December 17th, where it actually hit shelves.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the delay. Just let me play the demo for chrissakes SE. I just want to TRY it, so I can know whether I should be hyped or not.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Square wanted to even out the gaps a little bit since Avenger's delay and FFVIIR needed more dev time anyway. It's curious the game's new date is basically in between FFVIIR's and Avengers original release dates.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Weird. I was following the game very closely at the time (was even a mod on a Squaresoft fan forum at the time, lol) and I don't recall that at all.

I mean, the game made it's re-appearance (it went dark after the Jan 2000 Millennium Conference) in Famitsu in like late Jan/early February 2001. I don't think it was ever scheduled for March, so Gamespot was likely pulling that out of their ass. We didn't even see the first real gameplay footage of FFX (Besaid Island, Tsushida's battle system, Valefor summon) until E3 2001, which was mid-May back then. It then released July, a mere year after FFIX.

So if Gamespot is correct (I doubt it), it was a VERY hushed delay.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I was following the game very closely at the time (was even a mod on a Squaresoft fan forum at the time, lol) and I don't recall that at all.

I mean, the game made it's re-appearance (it went dark after the Jan 2000 Millennium Conference) in Famitsu in like late Jan/early February 2001. I don't think it was ever scheduled for March, so Gamespot was likely pulling that out of their ass. We didn't even see the first real gameplay footage of FFX (Besaid Island, Tsushida's battle system, Valefor summon) until E3 2001, which was mid-May back then. It then released July, a mere year after FFIX.

So if Gamespot is correct (I doubt it), it was a VERY hushed delay.
yeah idk if the articles are right, its hard to fact check old news, to much effort for that

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a bummer as I was hoping to knock this out before Cyberpunk. No biggie though. I'll focus more on Animal Crossing until this is out and then get to Cyberpunk whenever I'm done with this game as I'm much more excited for it personally.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Cyberpunk is definitely the game that the mainstream audience would choose if they had to pick between getting FF7 and that.

Hope this doesn't hurt FF7's sales too much which could then impact the future parts.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's a really weird freakin' argument that shouldn't exist. At all. Ever.
I can kind of get it. It's kind of a more specific JRPG vs WRPG argument. They have some similar themes and cityscapes. FFVII's Midgar section has even been described as kind of Cyberpunk. That said, it does feel like some people are bringing up arguments from years ago to stir the pot a bit. I feel like the next thing I'm gonna read is that it looks like a FFXV clone.

I just don't understand why Square chose this date. VIIR is the game I'm most hyped for, but I think Cyberpunk would come out on top in terms of mass appeal unless Square REALLY knocks it out of the park and VIIR is good enough to get a seriously wide audience. And no matter who gets better sales in the long run, they'll at least cannibalize each other a little bit.

It just seems like Square is setting itself up for unnecessary competition here.

Cyberpunk is definitely the game that the mainstream audience would choose if they had to pick between getting FF7 and that.

Hope this doesn't hurt FF7's sales too much which could then impact the future parts.
This is my biggest worry. FFVIIR has less than ideal sales due to a bad release date, and then the rest of the series is either scaled down or scrapped. Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama

TheJollyCorner is correct at least where the US is concerned. I was working at Circuit City at the time (god I'm old) and I remember all of us being shocked that the game came in and we were told to go ahead and start selling it a week before Christmas. Many of us in the department put aside a copy for ourselves so we could purchase it once our shifts were done lol. It was a happy early Christmas present for us! XD

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Doesn't bother me.
I think CP will look like ass in current gen, so planning on playing that on the ps5 or a kick ass rig down the line.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Ah, brings back bittersweet memories of the original FFVII JP getting delayed from Dec 1996 to Jan 1997.

Edit: For the guy who was wondering about pre-X releases, VIII and IX were not delayed.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
When Tom Nook threatens to raise your rent you delay your damn game!
Pretty bad spot though because no chance I'm getting this day one with Cyberpunk right there.

Deleted member 36749

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Atlanta
So wack. I'd set my work from home days up for that week.

The new week is the birthday of our senior engineer. I damn sure wont have any free time that week LOL

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII is made by you know who, remember? From the creators who brought us FFXIII and XV vs the creators OF THE WITCHER 3. Like come on

You say "Like come on" as if I said anything about the relative quality of titles, or engaged you about your personal opinion regarding the devs. The point I made was if you wanted to wait, ones experience of Cyberpunk 2077 will be better. FF7R isn't likely to change as dramatically based on the post launch support from both publishers and the kind of game CP2077 is.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to believe this, but I don't. The crunch doesn't stop until the game ships, if ever. I think there's always more to do and they will stay under the gun.

Of course it doesn't stop, but they now have an extra 40 days to prepare a day one patch and some extra time to put some polish onto what will be printed onto the disc, which I'm sure the employees are relieved by. I work long hours in TV and an extra 40 days would be appreciated by everyone on any number of projects.

Edit: I don't give Kotaku clicks so I'm just judging from that second tweet, but it seems that he's more talking about Crystal Dynamics which would have had intense crunch for a May release which now gives a bit more breathing room for a September launch (though I can't say that any crunch would get lighter or heavier based on this, but just thinking about the sacrifices that would have had to be made for a May launch depresses me)

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If this delay is necessary for a polished final product, I won't complain about it.

I'd rather developers release a complete and polished game instead of hitting their target release date and having to gradually finish the game with patches.

I do hope Cyperpunk won't cut into FF7R's sales too much.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a AAA title literally right in the middle between the releases of two other AAA titles - one of which is poised to do far better financially [Cyberpunk 2077] is not a smart business move and that's how economics works👍

You're trying to be smart but you're being unrealistic. I've been in situations like this before, where delays to our releases have happened and it's not viable to push it by, say, 2 months, so we have to settle on a closer date even if it's close to other big releases. That's just how it is unfortunately.

FFVII remake is one of the most anticipated games of this generation. The people who care about it will buy it in their millions, Cyberpunk or no.