• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This part:
"There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn't changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn't have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)"

Especially the laughs at the end confirm it.
Chuckling about all the hunts and job board fetch quests events added to pad out the game to an acceptable length given the end of the first part is when you leave Midgar...

Yup. Game is gonna be flooded with filler shit.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This part:
"There are quite a few additions to the scenario. While the main story itself hasn't changed, there are a countless number of new events. Otherwise we wouldn't have two Blu-ray discs. (Laughs.)"

Chuckling about all the hunts and job board fetch quests events added to pad out the game to an acceptable length given the end of the first part is when you leave Midgar...
Don't know if that means they are quests though, if they are hopefully you aren't forced to do them to progress the main story

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I think it'd be more interesting if they made changing fate the theme of the new game. We all know Aerith will die. Wouldn't it be neat if we could give the characters a heads up so they can do things differently?
Several FF games are about changing fate, it's not a novel theme. FF VII's themes and comparison to global warming may be more relevant than it was back then, uncanny how much Shinra is like Trump.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
This part:

I think it's adorable you think they'll get to that scene in 5 years with part 2... Because it's definitely 10 years away at the end of part 3.

Also, yes, where is best boy Nanaki?

You must be chronically pessimistic or something.

Complaining about having too much of something when you can only make assumptions about what that something is. Why not wait and see what all the extra content is first?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Just played that bit last night. Man the whole sequence is hilarious and I wonder how much they'll keep. Hard to imagine this being pulled off with more realism than what was available originally lol.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but I think it'd be more interesting if they made changing fate the theme of the new game. We all know Aerith will die. Wouldn't it be neat if we could give the characters a heads up so they can do things differently?

Wasn't that a cut side quest from the original or was that just a rumour? It had something to do with the Aerith ghost glitch.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
For this thread
images

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Seriously, I don't give a flying fuck about that movie if they're building a new game with new scenarios and a new continuity from the ground up. Its exciting to not know exactly what's going to happen again.

That could be it but iirc you get Red XIII just during the last act of Midgar story in a way that you're locked to keep going forward. They might let you free to explore but I wonder how they could do it.

Maybe you get him, play a bit with him and the game ends, go figure.

I just want to see him because he should control pretty different to everyone else. It'll be great.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmmm...

A) Believe the developers and what we have saw already with our own eyes

B) Believe you

I know it's shocking but I think most of us will go with the choice A.
There are spooky ghosts now. Sephiroth talks to Cloud in dark alleyways. The story has been changed, surely even your eyes can see it.
Several FF games are about changing fate, it's not a novel theme. FF VII's themes and comparison to global warming may be more relevant than it was back then, uncanny how much Shinra is like Trump.
So you're saying it's less novel than just copying the story from 30 years ago? You can still do that other stuff too.
That's not really how it works. Cloud physically fell into the Lifestream while still alive. To become part of it you have to die.
Maybe they can kill Cloud.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You must be chronically pessimistic or something.

Complaining about having too much of something when you can only make assumptions about what that something is. Why not wait and see what all the extra content is first?
After playing ff15 I can't help but agree that's what it could mean, but not going to expect that right now

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I admit it's been a while since I played it.

Did Aeirth know she needed to be dead in order for Holy to work?

Holy didn't work. Once she was dead she commanded the Lifestream from within it and that's what rose up and destroyed Meteor. I imagine she probably kinda had an idea that it might be the case since she didn't even try to defend herself.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Cloud can go into the lifestream with her and pull her out again like Tifa did with Cloud.
No because Aeris is dead, Cloud wasn't and had mako poisoning, but that's not the point, you can come up with any fantasy reason to bring Aeris back but it's a shit idea.

The ending scene would't be as bittersweet. FF VII paints death in a poetic way, you return to the planet and your soul is one day born from the planet again, but Aeris is the last cetra, so she joins the promised land, and leaves a way for the heroes. It jars with the source material to say well "actually maybe this could be avoided..." or someone else dies and the death doesn't become as triumphant as Aeris powers with the lifestream

I expect a remake to celebrate the source material rather than just do anything because it defies expectactions.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
So much that hasn't been answered or I just haven't been keeping up.

1. What is their proposed release cycle: Yearly? Every other year? Every three?
  2. How many episodes do they plan to split this up into?

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Holy didn't work. Once she was dead she commanded the Lifestream from within it and that's what rose up and destroyed Meteor. I imagine she probably kinda had an idea that it might be the case since she didn't even try to defend herself.
I thought Holy didn't work because they took too long and the Meteor got too close.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
giphy.gif

Not sure how I feel about a new story element like that being added. Feels a lot like they had meetings that went along the lines of "We need to get these damn gamers to buy all 3 parts, but that's a problem because they know the ending already! We'll just insert a new plot into the story over top of the existing story! They'll eat that shit up!".

Wait and try it before jumping to conclusions, maybe it'll turn out really cool who knows.

Again Part 1 will be huge and extended, me personally i don't want the same exact game as old VII, so im excited to see the new things.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a remake to celebrate the source material rather than just do anything because it defies expectactions.
Yeah, I think it's too late for that. If they wanted to do a faithful remake we wouldn't be spending dozens and dozens of hours in Midgar chasing ghosts. That's why I want to happen parallel to the original, rather than rewriting it.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So much that hasn't been answered or I just haven't been keeping up.

1. What is their proposed release cycle: Yearly? Every other year? Every three?
  2. How many episodes do they plan to split this up into?
There won't be a cycle and they don't know how many episodes it will be. They did say the future ones should come together much faster than the initial.

vato_loco

Oct 26, 2017
Argentina
We wanted Tifa to have abs, so she has an athletic body type. The ethics department at Square Enix also told us that we had to tighten her chest as not to get unnatural during all the intense action. From there we got the black underwear and fitted tank top.
Big chests do exist, you know. I'm 100% in love with Tifa's model but an ethics department asking for a shrinked chest because otherwise it'd be unnatural feels a bit weird to me.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in incorporating meta aspects into the story, or changing its theme.
Seriously, I don't give a flying fuck about that movie if they're building a new game with new scenarios and a new continuity from the ground up. Its exciting to not know exactly what's going to happen again.
They've already said the main story hasn't changed.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're worried about "fetch" quests how about wait until the game comes out and read reviews before you buy? Instead of trying to decipher every interview to justify why you "know" there will be fetch quests?

Do i think there will be some side quests that may amount to fetch quests? Sure. But overall the story is expanded and we'll be clearly spending more time with AVALANCHE.

Also Aerith is dying. That will never change

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
No because Aeris is dead, Cloud wasn't and had mako poisoning, but that's not the point, you can come up with any fantasy reason to bring Aeris back but it's a shit idea.

The ending scene would't be as bittersweet. FF VII paints death in a poetic way, you return to the planet and your soul is one day born from the planet again, but Aeris is the last cetra, so she joins the promised land, and leaves a way for the heroes. It jars with the source material to say well "actually maybe this could be avoided..." or someone else dies and the death doesn't become as triumphant as Aeris powers with the lifestream

You would hope!

I sincerely hope they exercise a degree of restraint and keep the story relatively grounded to its source

Was not pleased with how they chose to "expand" the story with Crisis, Advent, Dirge and so forth. They struck gold with the original and should go back and examine why that worked and why all the extra shit they did afterwards didnt

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are spooky ghosts now. Sephiroth talks to Cloud in dark alleyways. The story has been changed, surely even your eyes can see it.

So you're saying it's less novel than just copying the story from 30 years ago? You can still do that other stuff too.

Maybe they can kill Cloud.

We don't even know if that's Sephiroth or Jenova :).

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna assume the watchmen of fate are failed Sephiroth clone experiments, giving them a more pro-active role in the story outside of just standing around being enigmatic. It'd make sense they'd follow Cloud around, too, since he's essentially one of their "brothers"'. Also the "fate" could just as well be Clouds - they're ushering him to the Northern Crater.

latest

IIRC the remnants of Sephiroth from Advent Children similarly turned to black mist.

also I wish Nomura didn't mention the "ethics department" because now a certain subsection of the internet is going to act like Square Enix has an orwellian censorship department when in reality it's basically just PR.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna assume the watchmen of fate are failed Sephiroth clone experiments, giving them a more pro-active role in the story outside of just standing around being enigmatic. It'd make sense they'd follow Cloud around, too, since he's essentially one of their "brothers"

latest

IIRC the remnants of Sephiroth from Advent Children similarly turned to black mist.

also I wish Nomura didn't mention the "ethics department" because now a certain subsection of the internet is going to act like Square Enix has an orwellian censorship department when in reality it's basically just PR.

That would be acceptable though were't the failed ones mostly mindless mako poisoned zombies?

They gonna retcon that and have some basically be like the Advent children clones with smoke monster magic?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That would be acceptable though were't the failed ones mostly mindless mako poisoned zombies?

They gonna retcon that and have some basically be like the Advent children clones with smoke monster magic?

I assume these guys would be experiments that straight up lost their corporeal forms and are purely based on the instinctual urge to get Cloud to Sephiroth. I think the mindless zombies would still be around, if only so we can get Aerith to say "this guy IS sick!"