• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
You would hope!

I sincerely hope they exercise a degree of restraint and keep the story relatively grounded to its source

Was not pleased with how they chose to "expand" the story with Crisis, Advent, Dirge and so forth. They struck gold with the original and should go back and examine why that worked and why all the extra shit they did afterwards didnt
I really like how spiritual the game's dipiction of life and death is and prefer them not to turn death into some rotating door.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
And they said no giant bouncing tits allowed. Those would be unethical.
This is my favorite part of that interview. Can he be cancelled for this?!?!?!??!?!

Also damn, I know people love to jump to conclusions but people are really running with shit here. Let's just wait until we have actual details before we start whining about stuff.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I assume these guys would be experiments that straight up lost their corporeal forms and are purely based on the instinctual urge to get Cloud to Sephiroth. I think the mindless zombies would still be around, if only so we can get Aerith to say "this guy IS sick!"
We can have Barret say "These ghosts is sick."

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with having a way to avoid Aerith's death if the end result is a bad ending (as opposed to the original one)

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This is my favorite part of that interview. Can he be cancelled for this?!?!?!??!?!

Also damn, I know people love to jump to conclusions but people are really running with shit here. Let's just wait until we have actual details before we start whining about stuff.

Cmon man

SE has given people plenty of reasons not to give them the benefit of a doubt

If anything I find the scrutiny inevitable

On a positive note I am impressed they nailed it with the visuals, battle system, and various other odds and ends. When it comes to reimagining the story my teeth start to grind a bit though

They need to be careful here

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Yuck, filler.

Hope they release a "Complete" version of the game with all the new filler shit ironically excised.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm open to changes and additions, bring the Organization XIII ghosts, I don't care, as long as they make for fun fights, I'm in.

But for the love of God don't have a sidequest to save Aerith, and don't change who dies just to preserve the "shock value". Narrative quality should come first, not surprising players, or keeping things fresh. If making a different story is the priority, then maybe just make FFXVI instead of remaking the same story.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank god for this, now if only they gave her some muscle definition in her arms and made them slightly bigger. And no I'm not saying make her jacked so don't even start with me.
same, why give her only abs, that make no sense, also they said her chest would match the fitness but imo, her chest should be much smaller if she is training, unless she have implants

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm open to changes and additions, bring the Organization XIII ghosts, I don't care, as long as they make for fun fights, I'm in.

But for the love of God don't have a sidequest to save Aerith, and don't change who dies just to preserve the "shock value". Narrative quality should come first, not surprising players, or keeping things fresh. If making a different story is the priority, then maybe just make FFXVI instead of remaking the same story.

Their goal should be to elevate the source material so hopefully anything they add is in service to that goal in a compelling way

Im just worried based on who is at the helm and how previous efforts to "expand" FF7's world turned out

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Their goal should be to elevate the source material so hopefully anything they add is in service to that goal in a compelling way

Im just worried based on who is at the helm and how previous efforts to "expand" FF7's world turned out
Don't tell Era, but I would have preferred they just redid the graphics, translation, polished the gameplay a bit and called it a day.

I saw Advent Children. It wasn't pretty.

Well actually it was, but you know what I mean.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I think then they would have holy then and Sephiroth will have failed much earlier.

But Holy actually failed in the end (even if it was successfully cast). And if Aerith is alive, there's no way she can command the lifestream to stop Meteor so the player went out of their way to save Aerith only to get the bad ending. Sephiroth's true body on the lifestream was just blocking Holy from surfacing.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People definitely have reason to be skeptical of Nojima after FFX -Will-'s exploding Tidus but all things considered they've tackled most other concern (goofy enemies are back, Tifa looks sensible, the core themes are the same if not amplified) pretty well. I'm guessing the rest of the team has reigned him in, it seems Nojima's worse impulses come out when he kinda has free reign.

Frankly the only thing I'm worried about is him trying to make that incredibly stupid "FFX is a FFVII prequel!" bit of his a reality.

if shinra came from another planet why are they making a rocket

Nov 23, 2017
I loved everything I saw and played at E3 enough that I'm not going to get uppity about the "Watchmen of Fate". I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but it's ok for others not to.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
That ethics department part was clearly a joke : v

Would be cool if there's a chance to save Aeris, but it would trigger a bad ending where the meteor kills everyone because she kinda needs to die to cast Holy.

You rested or used an ether, just like every other Final Fantasy game.

I have no idea why this part in particular was news.

Maybe he meant that you don't recover MP by sleeping anymore. It would be silly af tho.

Edit: Oh, i was not the first to think about the save Aeris = bad ending thing, it seems haha

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't tell Era, but I would have preferred they just redid the graphics, translation, polished the gameplay a bit and called it a day.

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking when writing that garbage

Clearly not about the characters

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
They said the overall story is the same..

Aerith dead guys lol...

Sounds like another RE2 is happening though, can't wait to play my GOAT video game over again.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Cmon man

SE has given people plenty of reasons not to give them the benefit of a doubt

If anything I find the scrutiny inevitable

On a positive note I am impressed they nailed it with the visuals, battle system, and various other odds and ends. When it comes to reimagining the story my teeth start to grind a bit though

They need to be careful here

There is a difference between being wary of something/someone and just making up stuff and then whining about the thing you just made up like a lot of people are doing here.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They said the overall story is the same..

Aerith dead guys lol...

Sounds like another RE2 is happening though, can't wait to play my GOAT video game over again.

If anything it looks like it will PLAY beautifully which really gave me huge relief from the get go

The battle system setup is far better than I was expecting.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
if shinra came from another planet why are they making a rocket
Maybe their ship crashed and they had to build their city from the wreckage.
J6QjaFcn_o.jpg

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My takeaway from this is that it took a whole separate ethics department to tell them that maybe Tifa's design should be toned down. Says something about their intent with her.

Oct 25, 2017
The Honey Bee Inn cross-dressing event is still in. We've made it more modern. If we made the facility like we did in the original game, the physical unease would be staggering, so that was no good…
I'm happy they recognize the unsavory parts of the Honey Bee Inn. Some parts of it such as the hot tub scene definitely isn't something that needs to be preserved.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the part that implies the Cetra came from another planet was a mistranslation.

What I remember reading was that Shinra from X-2 literally built a spaceship and founded the Shinra Company on the VII planet, which implies they've existed since the dawn of civilization on that planet barring the Cetra. I will admit it's been a while since I last looked into it, though.

I'd honestly be fine with FFVII and X existing in the same universe or even galaxy considering they have very similar afterlives (FFXIV too) but anything more than that makes me roll my eyes

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
But Holy actually failed in the end (even if it was successfully cast). And if Aerith is alive, there's no way she can command the lifestream to stop Meteor so the player went out of their way to save Aerith only to get the bad ending. Sephiroth's true body on the lifestream was just blocking Holy from surfacing.
I mean, does Aeris drop the white materia? Sounds like dipicting this alternate story would be clumsy.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
What I remember reading was that Shinra from X-2 literally built a spaceship and founded Shinra on the VII planet. I will admit it's been a while since I last looked into it, though.

I'd honestly be fine with FFVII and X existing in the same universe or even galaxy considering they have very similar afterlives (FFXIV too) but anything more than that makes me roll my eyes

Yeah they should just chuck that FFX connection right out the window

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If anything it looks like it will PLAY beautifully which really gave me huge relief from the get go

The battle system setup is far better than I was expecting.
Yo!!! It looks amazing!!! It's FF13 done right with actual strategic elements. All they have to do is nail the story. I'm not sold on Cloud's english VA yet but I've only heard one-liners during battle mostly.

But yeah, they have to nail the story. I think it should just be two parts. IMO 3 and each game won't have its full potential. I mean how are you going to handle the traditional RPG element of grinding out to max level to take care of the optional quest and hardest fights? You can't keep resetting cloud and crew every game lol.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yo!!! It looks amazing!!! It's FF13 done right with actual strategic elements. All they have to do is nail the story. I'm not sold on Cloud's english VA yet but I've only heard one-liners during battle mostly.

But yeah, they have to nail the story. I think it should just be two parts. IMO 3 and each game won't have its full potential. I mean how are you going to handle the traditional RPG element of grinding out to max level to take care of the optional quest and hardest fights? You can't keep resetting cloud and crew every game lol.

Im pretty much have to accept that its a high likelihood that they wont be able to please everyone and obviously im skeptical with Nojima writing it

Just gonna have to ride the roller coaster like the rest of you!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa's chest being restrained is a bad take not because of "censorship" or whatever, but because this is the type of attitude that a lot of girls who develop early have to deal with in a daily manner. Big breasted women are not inherently sluttier than women with average sizes.

If they were that concerned about the titillation they should have just gone ahead and redesign her outfit.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Haha I've had to back away from a lot of posts about FF7 due to getting annoyed at how many people are excited for more Advent Children/Compilation stuff shoved into the game. I feel ya there. A few extra pieces of lore would have been good sure but then the whole first part is in Midgar and I knew it was going to be a fun ride from there on.

I'm still buying part 1 in order to give them a chance, but I'm not excited at the prospect of 90% new content/"extra events" shoved into FF7 when the story in Midgar was pretty well done before.

Either way what we have is what we get, and "You always have the original" right? :P

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I would be fine with having a way to avoid Aerith's death if the end result is a bad ending (as opposed to the original one)
That's a cool thought, but should they make having her live be easy (gameplay wise) and having her death harder to achieve for the good ending? Everyone would end up with the world destroyed and Sephiroth laughing lol.

What does Sephiroth even want? I remember a line from him like "I want to sail the cosmos and use this planet as my vessel, just as my mother did"

The fook does that mean Sephirot? You done gone and went crazy's

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
You must be chronically pessimistic or something.

It's true. I am chronically pessimistic.

I used to be a Rose colored glasses kind of optimist...

But then Final Fantasy X-2 happened... Then Dirge of Cerberus happened... Then Final Fantasy XIII happened... Then Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 happened... Then... And this is the worst... Final Fantasy XV happened. The fetch quests... The hunts...the endless endless endless hunts. The empty ass open world that came out the same basic time as Assassin's Creed Origins with its fully realized Egypt, the horridly executed story, the worst action RPG gameplay ever comitted to a game, the absence of easy to use magic, the lack of a strong female party member, the next to unusable in game map and... All.... The.... jumping when I just want to talk to an NPC...

It broke me man. It broke me real bad.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, does Aeris drop the white materia? Sounds like dipicting this alternate story would be clumsy.

I recently replayed it. When she dies and drops the white materia, it's seen as pale green and later confirmed by Bugenhagen in Disc 2 that it means the spell worked (or at least, it was cast successfully). The only reason why the party has to kill the actual Sephiroth at the northern crater is because he's blocking the Holy spell.

So, the only difference in storyline whether she's dead or not would be some different cutscenes where she's included, or for example you would skip the backtracking to the Forgotten City in Disc 2 and the hunt for the Cetra Key, since Aerith knows she did it and have something else happen instead.

Edit: an additional mission would be for example rescuing her after the escape from Junon scenario, or having her escape with the help of
Reeve

Last edited:

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I thought after patches FF15 was supposed to be pretty good. I'm finally about to fight the final boss in DQ11 and planning to start 15 next, hope Im part of the fanbase that likes it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's true, and I'll probably be playing it alongside the Remake to see how things compare.

I just wish it didn't look like...

well, like it does.
I was being snarky haha. My bad. I can already tell with the change to the Bombing Mission and other things the original tone is changing a lot and that's "fine" I guess. But all the additions give me anxiety haha.

It's weird thinking of all the new fans being brought in possibly for this entry on their first time and then never seeing Midgar again in part 2 and getting half the story not shown until later.

It looks amazing though? I get the story concerns but how would you want this to look? Octopath Traveler or something?
The poster could be referring to the way the story looks, or the more "Advent Children" designs. Either way I don't think they mean what you think they mean. I don't think they were saying the "graphics are bad."

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It looks amazing though? I get the story concerns but how would you want this to look? Octopath Traveler or something?
No, no, Remake looks amazing visually.

It's the original that I wish looked better, as it seems like these are going to be two (or three or four) largely different games, which means Final Fantasy VII forever looks the way it does.

I can't help but look at stuff like this:
ben-nicholas-bennicholas-ff7-weaponshop-01.jpg

And think "What if?"

I was being snarky haha. My bad. I can already tell with the change to the Bombing Mission and other things the original tone is changing a lot and that's "fine" I guess. But all the additions give me anxiety haha.

It's weird thinking of all the new fans being brought in possibly for this entry on their first time and then never seeing Midgar again in part 2 and getting half the story not shown until later.

Yeah, if someone asks me what the best way to play Final Fantasy VII is, I won't be pointing them to Remake. It's just so different, at least in terms of pacing, if nothing else, that it's basically a new game pretending to be an old one.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, if someone asks me what the best way to play Final Fantasy VII is, I won't be pointing them to the remake. It's just so different, at least in terms of pacing, if nothing else, that it's basically a new game pretending to be an old one.
A lot of people are happy with "more" and the graphics alone, so I don't think I'll worry about FFVII:R being popular or that people will like it, just bums me out that writing/storytelling has gotten so...eh lately in games/movies/etc.

We'll see if we're wrong though haha