• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
It's those kinds of statements that bother me. People trying to be inclusive but then shitting on people with body types further from the norm. My ex had a really fucked up body image because of people acting like she was somehow unrealistic, or ridiculous, or absurd.

Assuming you're actually speaking in good faith, it's not about shitting on body types. Tifa Lockhart isn't a living, breathing human being who simply happens to have large boobs and likes showing them off; she's not a real human being that has a body type we don't associate with martial artists. When people talk about female characters in gaming being sexualized, being unrealistic, or having way bigger boobs/butts than particularly realistic, it all boils down to one thing: these characters are, the majority of the time, designed by men.

It's the designers of the characters deciding "well, she should be thin, but give her HUGE BOOBS, we like boobs, gamers like boobs".

It's the original designers of Lara Croft keeping her breasts huge because they thought nobody would notice + they thought gamers would want to buy a game about a woman with huge boobs.

It's Toriyama and the others deciding to give Lightning jiggle physics and increase her cup size just because they could, despite her already existing and not being a character that seemed to show off a lot of skin.

Some people go overboard with critique, sure, but the vast majority of the talk has nothing to do with what actual women do with their bodies; it's about the depiction of women and the choices developers make. Boobs themselves jiggle; there are plenty of women in a variety of careers that have huge boobs; there are women that are confident in their bodies and like showing off. The majority of discussion surrounding how women are depicted is multifaceted. Sometimes it's "dude women don't actually look like this", yeah. After all, in Tifa's original design, the shirt seems to suction cup to her boobs, outlining them completely instead of doing what tight shirts actually do on large breasts.

As a whole, though? It's about designers of female characters making them multifacted but put in skimpy clothing for no discernable reason; it's about this being a trend that's been in gaming practically since its inception; it's about reducing women to objects; it's about how, even now, we have way more sexy female characters than we do ones that are allowed to just be characters the way men in games are.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plus, if it wasn't immediately apparent by all the goddamn money being tossed around, Square Enix is committed to making every single character really, really pretty.

Shit, even Don Corneo might turn a few heads to this rate.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I know there will probably be customization but please don't do anything this bad again, Square.

k-bigpic.jpg

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa looks good. A little thin, but generally is fine. I like her thigh highs giving her nees a little bit extra protection and also showing that she is a woman with style lol. She will continue to be my fave FF7 character. :>
I've honestly also always read her as asian or at least asian mixed. She can be asian-latina too. It's all good.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point I've exhausted anything I want to say in regards to the design change and the abject stupidity the usual circles are displaying. Further discussion on either would be pointless.

Instead, I want to talk about one particular scene that really stuck with me the more I think about it:

B7wFx81.jpg

There are two things in particular I really love about this moment from the trailer:

1. The way it's shot: one thing I've always praised Nomura for (or whoever is in charge of the camera direction in his works) is how he manages to stir emotion with visuals. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it effectively gets the point across and is seldom used in other Japanese games.

Of special note here is the stool separating Cloud and Tifa. This alone indicates the personal space both have unconsciously established, and mixes in nicely with the unspoken words between the two ("Words aren't the only way to yadda yadda"): Cloud is using his drink to establish a metaphorical barrier, and Tifa sits alone, head down as she wrestles with her inner conflicts.

The fact that they are one stool apart from each other means that they are close enough to want to support one another, but don't have the courage to cross that threshold. Instead, Cloud can only lend an ear without providing the emotional solace that Tifa wants, and Tifa herself isn't confident enough to get closer (figuratively and literally) to Cloud.

2. The conversation is also a significant change to the original: in the original game, Tifa would delicately pry into Cloud's thoughts, arguably as a means of flirting but more likely a way to learn more about him (or rather, try to gauge what he thinks he knows). This makes up the bulk of Tifa's role in the story as it intertwines with Cloud's, something I've never had a problem with.

However, I always did share the criticisms that we never got much focus on Tifa's own isolated thoughts and problems. She has every reason to hate Sephiroth as much as Cloud does, but it comes up maybe once. She questions whether the actions she and her AVALANCHE comrades are having the opposite effect of their intentions, and it only comes up once.

In this new scene, she is explicitly discussing the latter, revealing her increasing doubts about the violent actions of her group. This has nothing to do with Cloud...it is entirely Tifa dealing with her own agency.

I can't express how fantastic the implications are. It entirely justifies the decision to spread this story into multiple parts, if it means every character is going to get a chance to develop even further and become even more multi-layered then they were originally.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has Tifa always had scarlet eyes? I don't remember her red eyes being that pronounced like the third screenshot in the OP.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody's asking the more important question:

Where is the Texas sign?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
However, I always did share the criticisms that we never got much focus on Tifa's own isolated thoughts and problems.
Ooh, you think there could be Cloud-less segments of this game focusing on TIfa? There's already a bit of a gap in the story they could fill, showing what she and Barrett are doing after Cloud's fall.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, you think there could be Cloud-less segments of this game focusing on TIfa? There's already a bit of a gap in the story they could fill, showing what she and Barrett are doing after Cloud's fall.

All I ask is that they have Tifa show the same level of rage towards Sephiroth that Cloud does.

He arguably took a lot more from her than he did from Cloud. She might actually have a scar this time.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Has Tifa always had scarlet eyes? I don't remember her red eyes being that pronounced like the third screenshot in the OP.

Yep. Her official eye color is red. It's a contrast to Cloud's blue eyes. Makes her look like an Uchiha.

All I ask is that they have Tifa show the same level of rage towards Sephiroth that Cloud does.

He arguably took a lot more from her than he did from Cloud. She might actually have a scar this time.

Where'd she get stabbed again? In the chest?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Her official eye color is red. It's a contrast to Cloud's blue eyes. Makes her look like an Uchiha.

Where'd she get stabbed again? In the chest?

Yep.

It's been an ongoing theory she has a scar (Cloud has one after all), but the one dress with the cleavage window does contradict that theory.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Seventy year development cycle for the full game confirmed.

I mean just look at how long kh3 took and 95% of the game had essentially no story. I think proper expectations need to be set here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's real encouraging she's getting a lot of positive replies instead of creepy ones.

At least so far.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of the new design I like it less and less. Not only too busy but there is so much black now.

Her long dark brown hair , skirt obviously and the black sleeves she previously had, now with the sports bra you got black on her upper body, black on legs with the thigh highs, and the black thigh highs make it so her boots don't stand out much as the contrast to her skin isn't there anymore

Classic dlc pls Nomura

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The more I see of the new design I like it less and less. Not only too busy but there is so much black now.

Her long dark brown hair and the sleeves she previously had, now with the sports bra you got black on her upper body, black on legs with the thigh highs, the black thigh highs make it so her boots don't stand out much as the contrast to her skin isn't there anymore

Classic dlc pls Nomura
Her outfit is pretty much the classic, just some minor changes.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
her outfit is the most boring and simple in the original game they probably thought they had to give it more personalty in this HD version

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Her outfit is pretty much the classic, just some minor changes.

Its her classic outfit with needlessly added stuff. Oh yeah and she lost her red gloves as well because of course the design needed more black.

Like as if they gave Cloud his big sleeve he has on one arm in AC, or they gave him long sleeves.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She definitely looks Latina to me, not "Eurasian".

Square Enix always mix the best feature of each race into there character ( or what seems to be beutiful in their point of view ). So no, there is no definite race here , she look like the mix of everything with more asian influence. To be fair, she looks a lot more asian than anything else ( and I am asian person ).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think the black is needed but it does stand out nicely in the battle scenes, I noticed.

It would be cool if they had DLC costumes that were exact recreations of the original outfits, for those who want to use them.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its her classic outfit with needlessly added stuff. Oh yeah and she lost her red gloves as well because of course the design needed more black.

Like as if they gave Cloud his big sleeve he has on one arm in AC, or they gave him long sleeves.

Undoubtedly her fist weapons will show on the model. At least for anything in engine (which going by KH3 was actually a lot) maybe they chose a more neutral color to let them play with more colors in respect to her weapons.

Apr 9, 2019
In the bar scene you see her from the side. Her stomach is shockingly thin. Like, does she eat well...? Does she have intestines? =P

Making her less extremely thin would give a better signal to women playing the game - high-profile games like these can have a beneficial effect on that front.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
In the bar scene you see her from the side. Her stomach is shockingly thin. Like, does she eat well...? Does she have intestines? =P

Making her less extremely thin would give a better signal to women playing the game - high-profile games like these can have a beneficial effect on that front.
What you mean like modifying thier model and rigging just to add proper stomach roll, and skin folding for then charcters are sitting or crunching?

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse

Her long dark brown hair , skirt obviously and the black sleeves she previously had, now with the sports bra you got black on her upper body, black on legs with the thigh highs, and the black thigh highs make it so her boots don't stand out much as the contrast to her skin isn't there anymore

Classic dlc pls Nomura

That happens with any realistic portrayal of comic or videogame characters. It happens all the time in super hero movies too. Adding black clothing is the easiest way to make a character look "cooler." It's a creative crutch, but it's so common I don't feel like wasting my breath on it. I don't like it, but I'm not that worried about it either. I have no doubt there will be a classic costume DLC that will solve that problem. Sucks that we'll have to pay extra for it, but that's how it goes these days. And I wouldn't complain even if there wasn't because otherwise Tifa's design is perfect.

About Tifa's race, she looks kind of half Japanese, half Hawaiian with lighter skin here. Whoever they modeled her features after must be absolutely gorgeous.

Mizkreant

Mar 22, 2019
She looks Eurasian to me tbh or Latina.
She definitely looks Latina to me, not "Eurasian".
Personally, I think she looks more Japanese than hafu or hapa. I'm disappointed she doesn't look more hapa. I prefer her face in the Riot Games concept art. That was nearly perfect.
As a Eurasian Hispanic whose friends are mostly Latino or Eurasians, there's overlap.
If I had a dollar for every time people speak to me in Spanish....

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy with this design.

Tbh, it doesn't seem like they reduced Tifa's breasts. It looks more like they just put a sports bra on her so they wouldn't be so noticeable.

Her tits are still huge.
It's almost like people don't understand how sports bras function. She's still big, just more reasonably supported.