• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Think they'll alter this scene in any way?

XVXYw7n.jpg

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

XVXYw7n.jpg

Expecting Scarlet to slap her a few times and Tifa to be barely phased then slap Scarlet once and Scarlet drops to her knee as the slap put her off balance. No more mini game but maybe a button prompt for that one slap against Scarlet

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Either you reveal scarlet is a super shaolin fighter this entire time.

Or you have Tifa no sell her shit and drop her like nothing.

Those are the only two options.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Or they could change up Scarlet's character a little bit, and have a reveal that she actually knows how to fight herself, and turn it into a real boss fight.

I like that turn her into a fighter and have a proper 1v1 boss fight on top of the cannon. The fight could still involve the slaps in some form

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a proper trope for a character being misrepresented through fandom, specifically their design?

Tifa is probably going to down as the most definitive example of this.

This is like getting mad at Nintendo for bringing back a Pokemon character we haven't seen a while that doesn't have the same b-w-h ratio that DA artists gave them.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's alright, a bit on the skinny side but I dig it.

Actually more hyped for this game than Cyberpunk 2077. Such a shame they're dropping this in episodes though...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a proper trope for a character being misrepresented through fandom, specifically their design?

This is like getting mad at Nintendo for bringing back a Pokemon character we haven't seen a while that doesn't have the same b-w-h ratio that DA artists gave them.
It might not be entirely accurate here, but "fanon" describes "unofficial canon" as conceived by fans. So there's probably a lot of people out there with the fanon idea that Tifa has basketball tits.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017

I mean, she was always buxom and I certainly appreciate that ;~;. It's more that the entitlement over it all that strikes me as creepy and unhealthy, especially when she's pretty much as shapely as she always was. TBH I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of this on /v/ is driven by people intentionally trying to cause drama.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

XVXYw7n.jpg

man. If they don't make it a full-on boss fight, I want it to be played as ridiculous as possible. Make it slow-mo, have Tifa beat the snot out of Scarlet, acknowledge that the scene is silly as fuck. Kingsman it up, even.

Does Flanderization count? That's the closest off the top of my head. The number of dudefans that are legitimately angry about her design astounds me. I saw them claiming she was critically changed but the others haven't been.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It might not be entirely accurate here, but "fanon" describes "unofficial canon" as conceived by fans. So there's probably a lot of people out there with the fanon idea that Tifa has basketball tits.

This is what it all comes down to.

Whatever excuse you hear from people complaining she isn't "buxom" enough, it's specifically because they want to continue their headcanon that Tifa is the Queen of Hentai, and any modest adjustments would be considered the SJWs winning or going against the "canon size" (once again pointing to the FMVs).

Just hand over the crown to Sorceress or Minamoto No Raikou if you so desperately need someone to carry that weight (heh).

Oct 26, 2017
I've been dying to replay FF7, and finally decided to install The Reunion and Anxious Hearts mod for PC. But...I can't find Anxious Heart anywhere. One forum closed the thread and said to use The Reunion R06? But all I can find is R05, and it doesn't have any music mods or references to Anxious Heart. I surely must be doing something wrong, or my Google-fu is weak. Anyone help guide me?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled as to why people were so obsessed with this. From the first trailer everyone wanted to know how Tifa looked, no one was asking about Sepiroth or is asking about Nanaki/Red XIII. This leads me to believe people just wanted to see Tifa's chest size and that was it.

I still prefer this version made by the Riot artist.

blair-armitage-turnaround.jpg

Yeah that just proves my point.

May 26, 2018
I'm baffled as to why people were so obsessed with this. From the first trailer everyone wanted to know how Tifa looked, no one was asking about Sepiroth or is asking about Nanaki/Red XIII. This leads me to believe people just wanted to see Tifa's chest size and that was it.

I think some people were genuinely excited to see one of their favorite characters, and not just because of her breasts.

But other folk, yeah... People were posting that fan model, as technically excellent as it is, all over the internet.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

For me (and I suspect the majority of fans), it's because she was the easiest to screw up.

There was never any worry for Vincent, Red, Sephiroth or anyone else because there was virtually nothing worth changing or at risk of messing up (at least from a design standpoint). As it stands, Tifa has the most dramatic redesign so far, even if the changes were small in hindsight.

But it was also the most necessary...as you mentioned, too much of the fanbase only cared about her sex appeal. If people weren't as insistent (and that's me being kind) about her figure, Square probably would have left it as is. The new design still retains much of the sex appeal, but it also emphasizes the traits that makes the character beloved beyond that.

And even if they nailed the design, there was still the fear over how she'd be portrayed. It wasn't that long ago we got garbage like The 3rd Birthday, as Woolie is currently suffering through.

Which is why the "my turn" moment followed by the sick combo gameplay got such a rousing cheer from fans. They're keeping her confidence and ass-kicking fully intact.

I confidently stand by my avatar bet. She honestly has a chance of upstaging Cloud as the most popular FFVII character. At the least she'll undoubtedly reach second place.

Also, unless I'm mistaken it seems most of the idiotic "nerfed" comments have died down. A whole lot sooner than I expected too. I thought for sure we were due for a bit more stupidity including a change.org petition.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Honestly, it depends on the circles of the fanbase you tread in. Sure there are some people who only cared about her bust size, but elsewhere, she has lots of fans, many of which are woman like myself who adore her character. She's very relatable, friendly, and her relationship with Cloud has fueled YEARS of debate. She appeals to a lot of different parts of the VII fanbase, some a little gross for sure, but there are many who like her for more than her chest and just getting to see her again after so many years was enough to spark interest.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
They can always remake the story and change how the ending happens.
And then you risk pissing everyone off
Max Also Said That They Know They Can't fuck this up, and having Tifa die just to subvert expectations for the sake of it is stupid
ALSO Kitases said the characters story beats will remain the same, their just expanding things and giving side characters like Jessie more stuff

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
And then you risk pissing everyone off
Max Also Said That They Know They Can't fuck this up, and having Tifa die just to subvert expectations for the sake of it is stupid
ALSO Kitases said the characters story beats will remain the same, their just expanding things and giving side characters like Jessie more stuff

Hope you're right but I'll keep that in the back of my head. I've seen creators do worse to subvert expectations because they valued the shock factor too much.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

Tifa (like Lara Croft) is unfortunately an endlessly complicated discussion point, due to being a popular female character with big breasts that has been frequently objectified. It would be wonderful to live in a world where women in general (not just female characters!) are not inherently sexualized because they have bigger breasts, but.... we're not there yet. Considering Square's been pretty hit and miss about designing sexualized female characters in recent years, and then objectifying them in turn, it's hard not to be wary about how they'd treat Tifa in the remake: a) will they treat her as seriously as they would any other character, like they did in AC or KH2, or b) objectify her in silly ways (Dissidia, FFVII's OG FMVs.)

So yeah, my huge concern was whether we'd get a Tifa like this:

tifa.png

AcrobaticDistantAfricanbushviper-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

...or this:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

breasts. don't. work. that. way.
like. how. what. why.
...oh god why won't they stop moving.
...Square's attempt at mass hypnosis?

Outside of Remake!Tifa's legs bizarrely lacking in muscle (slim body types can still can be incredibly muscled, Square), I'm pretty happy with how she turned out in the remake. Her design is appealing, but now comparatively practical, and there are no bizarre breast physics. And they finally gave her a goddamn sports bra! I'm really happy that they've done Tifa justice, and taken her seriously as a character, and not just treated her as walking fan-service. It not only bodes well for female characters in the remake, but for the team's respect of FFVII in general.

tumblr_pswvmw9zmZ1xip8vbo4_540.gif

giphy.gif

yaaaaaaaaassssssssssss queen

For me (and I suspect the majority of fans), it's because she was the easiest to screw up.

There was never any worry for Vincent, Red, Sephiroth or anyone else because there was virtually nothing worth changing or at risk of messing up (at least from a design standpoint). As it stands, Tifa has the most dramatic redesign so far, even if the changes were small in hindsight.

But it was also the most necessary...as you mentioned, too much of the fanbase only cared about her sex appeal. If people weren't as insistent (and that's me being kind) about her figure, Square probably would have left it as is. The new design still retains much of the sex appeal, but it also emphasizes the traits that makes the character beloved beyond that.

And even if they nailed the design, there was still the fear over how she'd be portrayed. It wasn't that long ago we got garbage like The 3rd Birthday, as Woolie is currently suffering through.

Which is why the "my turn" moment followed by the sick combo gameplay got such a rousing cheer from fans. They're keeping her confidence and ass-kicking fully intact.

I confidently stand by my avatar bet. She honestly has a chance of upstaging Cloud as the most popular FFVII character. At the least she'll undoubtedly reach second place.

Also, unless I'm mistaken it seems most of the idiotic "nerfed" comments have died down. A whole lot sooner than I expected too. I thought for sure we were due for a bit more stupidity including a change.org petition.

Seconding this! Cloud/Sephiroth/Aerith/etc designs have been fairly consistent over the years, but everything to do with Tifa was one big question mark considering Square alternates between objectifying and not objectifying her.

Square has also been a bit ehhhhhhhhhhh recently regarding the treatment of their leading ladies (FFXV's Luna, KH3's Kairi/kinda Aqua in KH3), so I was also pretty nervous how they were going to treat Tifa and Aerith. Tifa's 'my turn' was one big OH THANK GOD moment, along with the nuance of her talking with Cloud at the bar.

(Also The 3rd Birthday can die in an unholy fire. Appalling game. Actually, it doesn't exist! It never existed. lalalalalalala)

Honestly, it depends on the circles of the fanbase you tread in. Sure there are some people who only cared about her bust size, but elsewhere, she has lots of fans, many of which are woman like myself who adore her character. She's very relatable, friendly, and her relationship with Cloud has fueled YEARS of debate. She appeals to a lot of different parts of the VII fanbase, some a little gross for sure, but there are many who like her for more than her chest and just getting to see her again after so many years was enough to spark interest.

Absolutely this. Tifa's a brave, badass martial artist, who's also caring and loyal person who's dealt with a lot of trauma. (For me, I think Tifa is one of the best written and nuanced FF characters full-stop, regardless of gender.) As an adult, I also really enjoy how both she and Aerith subvert usual FF female character archetypes. Tifa's the fierce martial artist, but she's more introverted in comparison to a lot of the other female physical fighters in the FF franchise. In comparison, Aerith is the more extroverted white mage, which is comparatively unique to the majority of the female white mages that came before or after her. 20+ years later, Tifa and Aerith are still both really refreshing subversions of usual archetypes of women in JRPGs, and it's exciting to get to revisit them in FFVIIR.

tumblr_pswvmw9zmZ1xip8vbo5_540.gif

tifaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair as a KH fan Kairis always been kinda useless and Aqua was stuck in basically hell for 10 years
You'd be rusty too
And Luna is Tabata fault