• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2018
Boy, the hype really is real when all it takes is a gif you've already seen tweeted out by a big publisher like Sony.

They have to be footing some of the bill on this game. They want you to think FFVII is a PlayStation brand.

Back in the day, it basically was. I'm sure you know the roles FFVII/Squaresoft and Sony played, from the historical perspective of CD games vs cartridge. A lot turned on that axis.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm sure that a lot of you will disagree, but please hear me out.

This game has been in the works for a long time - in an E3 2015 interview when the game was revealed, it was stated that the game had already been worked on for about a year-and-a-half; which puts it's development beginning midway through 2013:

Square Portal said:
"The game is developed in collaboration between Square Enix and Cyberconnect 2 and has been in the works for a while now – about a year and half."
Link

What if they've managed to incorporate all of the episodes into one release by this point, so that when we buy the game it has both or all three discs already included?

What are the odds of that happening?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I'm sure that a lot of you will disagree, but please hear me out.

This game has been in the works for a long time - in an E3 2015 interview when the game was revealed, it was stated that the game had already been worked on for about a year-and-a-half; which puts it's development beginning midway through 2013:

Link

What if they've managed to incorporate all of the episodes into one release by this point, so that when we buy the game it has both or all three discs already included?

They started over, not realty from scratch as we don't know, after they booted CC2

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Link

They have recently reiterated that it is episodic, if there was some chance of doing a multi-disc single release I don't think they would have done so.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
They started over, not realty from scratch as we don't know, after they booted CC2
I remember Nomura saying that the news about the game being restarted or scrapped and that they threw away everything that had been done already was misinformation and incorrect. Besides, if you look at the animations used in the latest trailer, it looks the same as the work we saw by Cyberconnect2 in the 2015 gameplay trailer, so I doubt all of it was thrown away - if anything at all.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My ship in the end of the game
Dead people with dead people
Zack ghost + aerith ghost
Living people + living people
Cloud + Tifa and their adopted kids.

Let everyone be happy, cloud and Tifa with their family, and Zack and aerith having ghost sex

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember Nomura saying that the news about the game being restarted or scrapped and that they threw away everything that had been done already was misinformation and incorrect. Besides, if you look at the animations used in the latest trailer, it looks the same as the work we saw by Cyberconnect2 in the 2015 gameplay trailer, so I doubt all of it was thrown away - if anything at all.

Booting a partner like that is going to slow down development. and i doubt they kept everything. CC2 was working on. Highly doubt they didn't have to do a lot of replanning for the game itself

Either way they already said its an episodic release recently

Let everyone be happy, cloud and Tifa with their family, and Zack and aerith having ghost sex

Aerith and Zack are basically force ghosts at this point

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

Link

they said after the state of play trailer that it would still be multiple parts. No one knows how much work was kept or re-done after they brought things in-house but that was what 2017 when that happened?

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
they said after the state of play trailer that it would still be multiple parts. No one knows how much work was kept or re-done after they brought things in-house but that was what 2017 when that happened?
No one knows exactly what state they're in development-wise as far as a percent complete with everything; but I bet it's a lot further along than we even think and I'm talking about the entire project, not just the first episode.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Isn't this basically canon after Advent Children? Not sure how it's some fan ship.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this basically canon after Advent Children? Not sure how it's some fan ship.
yeah, but since the movie never explicit says, there's people that say cloud is not in a relationship with tifa, that its only a frienship and they are only taking care of kids together, and that cloud still loves aerith and he cant love again (even after ac ending), i find this view too depressing. let cloud have a happy life.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but since the movie never explicit says, there's people that say cloud is not in a relationship with tifa, that its only a frienship and they are only taking care of kids together, and that cloud still loves aerith and he cant love again (even after ac ending), i find this view too depressing. let cloud have a happy life.

Let people infer what they want

Though Cloud wasn't depressed because of love. He was depressed because of his guilt and felt responsible for Zack and Aerith's deaths. People who say "he can't love again" are just finding reasoning in their view of what is going on. I don't find fault in this really though

But can we get off the ship train? Its not gonna lead anywhere. SE is not gonna come out and say anything more than they have on the matter. This topic doesn't need to be a warzone

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
No one knows exactly what state they're in development-wise as far as a percent complete with everything; but I bet it's a lot further along than we even think and I'm talking about the entire project, not just the first episode.
O yeah I'm sure the full thing's scenario is done and they have people working on the next parts. like if they're feature complete right now on this part then the environment team is probably mostly working on the next part. I also imagine the systems and combat will carry over to the next part. I'd expect 18-24 months between the parts but that will depend on the scope of part 1 and how many parts there are.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, the LTD. Getting some serious nostalgia for my early to mid 00s forum days here lmao

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it's pretty simple. Tifa and Cloud had kid crushes on each other. Aerith and Zack were into each other. Zack died. Aerith started crushing on "i have no memories therefore I'm Zack" Cloud, because he was acting just like Zack. Then she died, Cloud went back to normal, him and Tifa crushin' again and then become a thing considering they literally have an (adopted) family in AC.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What will the remake equivalent of disc change images be

IVzoM56.jpg

Jan 2, 2018
This video kind of reminded me why I don't go back to these old FFs all that often anymore. It's not that I don't like ATB/turn-based/characters stand in a row waiting their turn to attack battle systems anymore but it's the random battles. It's jarring when you can't go 5 meters without another mind-numbingly easy battle.

Those comments were made in relation to remaking FFVII in the style of the PS3 tech demo and when it was presumed to be a single game. The first thing to note is that the game is now being done in PS4 quality graphics. Just re-creating every location, every PC, NPC, enemy model, VFX etc. from the original game in this level of detail & modern production values is a whole lot of work, much moreso than the original. Probably doable in one go, but that's not all this remake is.

The original game is a fairly linear journey across a whole planet. It's not particularly massive when it's done with relatively few pre-rendered rooms, corridors & spaces & a miniature world map with very little detail that are separated by loading screens that can move you forward as much as the developers need you to be moved forward at any given time with no reason to worry what is around or between those pre-rendered backgrounds, but if you make it with a more realistic scale & make it all more seamless, as more modern game design dictates, that expands the workload a whole lot. Now you not only have to model everything that was in the original game (which is a lot of work already), but you have to fill in a lot of the gaps. I'm sure the remake won't be entirely seamless with no loading screens or fades to black, but it will be a lot more seamless than the original. Now running through Midgar won't greet you with a loading screen every 10 meters.

And everything is in full 3d, not just from a single POV like the original. So where they could previously just model a single front of some building, now they might need to model it from all sides. And they need to model what is in the distance/horizon everywhere. Originally they didn't need to think about what is to the left or back of what you were looking at but now the player might explore his surroundings and turn his/her/their camera towards directions that were never shown in the original. What do you see when you look back towards the path you came from going to a certain playable character's home? This plus now all cutscenes need to be carefully choreographed, animated (both body movements & facial animation) etc. on a level far beyond the originals simplistic emoting.

Remaking FFVII also has a "problem" in that it has sooooo many unique locations with very unique characteristics. A lot of big games like Spider-Man nowadays rely on procedural crafting of the environments and a lot of recycling of assets throughout the world. It's the same trees, flowers, tables & other basic assets repeated a lot throughout the world. FFVII's remake can't do this. Even Midgar alone, the starting city, has you go from different levels of slums/poor residential areas to factories & high tech labs & brothels with lots of unique aspects that need to be hand-crafted from top to bottom without much they can reuse from anywhere else in the game. Imagine FFVII Remake being more like Uncharted where you push forward constantly and around every corner there is a new unique ancient temple, icy mountain, magical forest, asian city, chocobo ranch or such and they need to make a lot of realistic-ish scale connective tissue between those that makes them make some resemblance of a sense.
Thank you! really detailed and informative explanation! now I'm much more intrigued by the remake.

Oct 25, 2017
i think aerith knew zack died, she has the connection with the planet thing, and knew when her mother husband died. Thats implied in crisis core, in the original game its not, but i believe that it makes sense she knew about it.

edit: yep in the original game she doesnt know about zack death, that's a crisis core thing, she says this:

"Aeris
What a shock... I didn't know Zack was from this town.

Cloud
You know him?

Aeris
Didn't I tell you? He was my first love.

Cloud

Aeris
Zack... SOLDIER First Class. Same as Cloud.

Cloud
Strange, there aren't that many who make First Class, but I've never heard of him.

Aeris
That's all right. It's all in the past now. I was just worried because I heard he's been missing.

Cloud
Missing?

Aeris
I think it was 5 years ago. He went out on a job, and never came back.
He loved women, a real lady's man. He probably found someone else...
Hey? What's wrong?"

Yeah. I said she sensed him die.
He died 4 years after leaving her though. So that line kinda solidifies my take on it.
She thought he was just flirting with her for fun and then moved on to someone else.
His death was so long after she wouldn't likely connect it with his reason for leaving.
Not sure if she trusts her own instincts of sensing him return to the planet either since she doesn't really understand her powers until later. So she's worried he's "missing" but knows in her heart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
This video kind of reminded me why I don't go back to these old FFs all that often anymore. It's not that I don't like ATB/turn-based/characters stand in a row waiting their turn to attack battle systems anymore but it's the random battles. It's jarring when you can't go 5 meters without another mind-numbingly easy battle.

Those comments were made in relation to remaking FFVII in the style of the PS3 tech demo and when it was presumed to be a single game. The first thing to note is that the game is now being done in PS4 quality graphics. Just re-creating every location, every PC, NPC, enemy model, VFX etc. from the original game in this level of detail & modern production values is a whole lot of work, much moreso than the original. Probably doable in one go, but that's not all this remake is.

The original game is a fairly linear journey across a whole planet. It's not particularly massive when it's done with relatively few pre-rendered rooms, corridors & spaces & a miniature world map with very little detail that are separated by loading screens that can move you forward as much as the developers need you to be moved forward at any given time with no reason to worry what is around or between those pre-rendered backgrounds, but if you make it with a more realistic scale & make it all more seamless, as more modern game design dictates, that expands the workload a whole lot. Now you not only have to model everything that was in the original game (which is a lot of work already), but you have to fill in a lot of the gaps. I'm sure the remake won't be entirely seamless with no loading screens or fades to black, but it will be a lot more seamless than the original. Now running through Midgar won't greet you with a loading screen every 10 meters.

And everything is in full 3d, not just from a single POV like the original. So where they could previously just model a single front of some building, now they might need to model it from all sides. And they need to model what is in the distance/horizon everywhere. Originally they didn't need to think about what is to the left or back of what you were looking at but now the player might explore his surroundings and turn his/her/their camera towards directions that were never shown in the original. What do you see when you look back towards the path you came from going to a certain playable character's home? This plus now all cutscenes need to be carefully choreographed, animated (both body movements & facial animation) etc. on a level far beyond the originals simplistic emoting.

Remaking FFVII also has a "problem" in that it has sooooo many unique locations with very unique characteristics. A lot of big games like Spider-Man nowadays rely on procedural crafting of the environments and a lot of recycling of assets throughout the world. It's the same trees, flowers, tables & other basic assets repeated a lot throughout the world. FFVII's remake can't do this. Even Midgar alone, the starting city, has you go from different levels of slums/poor residential areas to factories & high tech labs & brothels with lots of unique aspects that need to be hand-crafted from top to bottom without much they can reuse from anywhere else in the game. Imagine FFVII Remake being more like Uncharted where you push forward constantly and around every corner there is a new unique ancient temple, icy mountain, magical forest, asian city, chocobo ranch or such and they need to make a lot of realistic-ish scale connective tissue between those that makes them make some resemblance of a sense.

I went ahead and made a threadmark for this post, thanks.

Oct 30, 2017

Link

It won't be one whole game, but I'm hoping for the rumour it being only two parts to be true. I think they have way more done than people realize. I definately don't think it will be just midgar.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of assume that all the expanding of Midgar we're seeing wouldn't be in there if they could they could do this in 2 games, it would call into question why they didn't just cut the expansion content and aim for a single release.

For instance, look at all the extra time/money/resources they're putting into that scorpion boss fight, if they were aiming to get through as much of the game as possible it would just be a normal fight and they could move on, but they've got the thing crawling on the walls, shooting missiles, destroying the environment, they showed a damaged version of it, they've got it included in cutscenes that look mo-capped, all this stuff indicates that they aren't in any hurry to rush through this.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This almost feels imminent with all the push and hype recently
The fact that we're incredulous at getting a playable demo at E3, let alone a 2019 release date for a game that was announced 4 years ago says a lot of current day Square Enix Japan's output. We're so used to fucking 6 year development cycles or more that 4 seems quaint now.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn man this wait for e3 almost feels worse than the last few years of silence. I need more updates !
You and me both.

They knew what they were doing when they released that minute long trailer this month. I wouldn't be this hyped for seeing more at E3 had it not been for this.

Never has the phrase "Whet their appetites" rang more true than with FFVIIR.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I kinda feel like rewatching Advent Children for the first time ever iirc? But its like 2 hours long or something. Plus that one obnoxious wtf line Tifa has. What do I do?

What will the remake equivalent of disc change images be

IVzoM56.jpg
I can't for the life of me ever recall seeing the Barret one. Like it looks genuinely new to me. I mighta seen Vincents pop up... once? Year in, year out I replay this game an Red XIII & Cids are by far the most common. Wonder if there's a "droprate rarity level" type thing assigned to these o.o

Oct 30, 2017
My heart will stop if they announced the release date somewhere in next January with being only two parts as the rumors has suggested with part 1 being the end of Disc 1.

This will shock me so hard that I might lose some weight XD

Status
Not open for further replies.