• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I'm hoping at some point they are going to port the entire compilation of FF7 (especially before crisis).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry. I think I had a bad case of whiplash.

Jessie what now? I thought myself of some kind of FFVII scholar but I never got that from the game. Did I miss something?
if i remember right also priscila likes cloud and its kinda weird

"Jessie
Be careful, I'll shut this.
*She shuts the door and turns to Cloud, looking him up and down.*
Oh, Cloud!! Your face is pitch-black......
*She rubs at his face.*
There you go!
Say, thanks for helping me back there at the Reactor!"

----------

"Jessie
I know! Next time, I'll give you one I made myself.

Cloud
- Looking forward to it

Jessie
Okay, then I'll put a little extra effort in and make it with a BANG.

Jessie
We're almost there. After talking with you, I really want to do it!
I think you've lit my fuse!"

-------------

"Jessie
It's me, Jessie. How do I look, Cloud?
Do I look good in a Shinra uniform?

Cloud
- Yeah...

...you look great, just like a man.

Jessie
Yay!! I'm so happy ...I think?"

-----------
"Jessie
...Cloud... I'm glad...... I could talk with you... one last time.

Cloud
- Is that so...

Jessie
...Is... that so......?
Ha...... cool...... as usual... ex-...SOLDIER. ...always... I liked that... in you..."

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if i remember right also priscila likes cloud and its kinda weird

"Jessie
Be careful, I'll shut this.
*She shuts the door and turns to Cloud, looking him up and down.*
Oh, Cloud!! Your face is pitch-black......
*She rubs at his face.*
There you go!
Say, thanks for helping me back there at the Reactor!"

----------

"Jessie
I know! Next time, I'll give you one I made myself.

Cloud
- Looking forward to it

Jessie
Okay, then I'll put a little extra effort in and make it with a BANG.

Jessie
We're almost there. After talking with you, I really want to do it!
I think you've lit my fuse!"

-------------

"Jessie
It's me, Jessie. How do I look, Cloud?
Do I look good in a Shinra uniform?

Cloud
- Yeah...

...you look great, just like a man.

Jessie
Yay!! I'm so happy ...I think?"

-----------
"Jessie
...Cloud... I'm glad...... I could talk with you... one last time.

Cloud
- Is that so...

Jessie
...Is... that so......?
Ha...... cool...... as usual... ex-...SOLDIER. ...always... I liked that... in you..."
I just went through the whole Midgar section in an ongoing replay session and although I remember most of those dialogues (except the "lit my fuse" one which for the life of me I can't remember, was it an optional dialogue?) it never came across to me as Jessie liking Cloud. She was just sweet and very friendly. That was it. But I could be wrong.

I guess I can't shit too much on FF7 for using the "every hot girl want to fuck the main male character" trope in JRPGs but this was 97 and for all I know FF7 started it so I can't accuse them for being unoriginal.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping at some point they are going to port the entire compilation of FF7 (especially before crisis).

I've been thinking since day one over how they could incorporate most of that through additional DLC episodes.

Considering the countless assets they must be making for this behemoth of a project, they could definitely think long term in having a playable re-enactment of AC, or a multiplayer-focused Remake if BC, just for example.

Square could very well decide that FFVII is their official fourth pillar and give the series its own dedicated spot separate from the whole franchise. It sounds insane but that's what a big chunk of the fans have already been doing for years.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just went through the whole Midgar section in an ongoing replay session and although I remember most of those dialogues (except the "lit my fuse" one which for the life of me I can't remember, was it an optional dialogue?) it never came across to me as Jessie liking Cloud. She was just sweet and very friendly. That was it. But I could be wrong.

I guess I can't shit too much on FF7 for using the "every hot girl want to fuck the main male character" trope in JRPGs but this was 97 and for all I know FF7 started it so I can't accuse them for being unoriginal.
i think it is

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
The fact that we're incredulous at getting a playable demo at E3, let alone a 2019 release date for a game that was announced 4 years ago says a lot of current day Square Enix Japan's output. We're so used to fucking 6 year development cycles or more that 4 seems quaint now.
Well bear in mind that development for this apparently started in the middle of 2013; so there's a lot that they've completed so far.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well bear in mind that development for this apparently started in the middle of 2013; so there's a lot that they've completed so far.
Whatever the case it's been 4 years since announcement and because it's Square we're all incredulous that a playable demo may be on stage at all.

Why couldn't I be a CoD or Assassins Creed fan? Were I a fan of those I'd know I would get a new one every year or every two at most. No, i had to be a huge FF and Metroid fan. Great.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
The numbered entries never stopped being great, despite what a vocal minority likes to claim.

giphy.gif

Even by that logic then almost every damn game out there is great and the ones dislike it are "vocal minority", if you think XIII and XV had vocal minority criticism then you haven't been paying attention well.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever the case it's been 4 years since announcement and because it's Square we're all incredulous that a playable demo may be on stage at all.

Why couldn't I be a CoD or Assassins Creed fan? Were I a fan of those I'd know I would get a new one every year or every two at most. No, i had to be a huge FF and Metroid fan. Great.
I mean I guess they are two extreme cases. It's quite rare to see huge AAA annual franchises pumped out every year like CoD or Ass Creed these days... But I also agree modern Square Enix takes way too long. Part of the problem of course is them announcing things way too early.
As for FF7R, I believe if things went according to their plan, we would already have played part 1 by now. It's unfortunate what happened during development and how they had to shift the development from CC2 to in house (which should have been how it was from the very beginning imo)

Oct 25, 2017
Even by that logic then almost every damn game out there is great and the ones dislike it are "vocal minority", if you think XIII and XV had vocal minority criticism then you haven't been paying attention well.

Huh... Yes, they are vocal minorities. They always have been. Or what? Are we considering games that scored 80+ in Metacritic "not great" now? Give me a break.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
c2a60aa735eff716acb80de0ed79b259

Will we get Cloud in a wheelchair? Actually that whole bit will be interesting to see play out. I wonder if they will change that stuff up.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reason they botched their second bombing mission was because Jessie made Cloud's fake ID special and different from the rest for some reason.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing to say but will periodically post midgar backgrounds. Atmospheric preparation for part 1.

414RnHX.png

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I literally cannot imagine how they are going to pull the Weapon fights, unless we will be attacking their toenails for 30 minutes.
Ranged attacks or jumping or have them "stagger" and get closer to the ground at some point or etc. Those turtle enemies in FF13 were pretty big. I'm sure 15 had some giant enemies too and that somehow worked.

The art direction is so damn good.
I wonder if they will occasionally have a fixed camera in some scenes just to evoke a prerendered bg feel, even if it's for short transition screens or some insignificant areas where you don't really need 3d camera movement.

Oct 25, 2017
Ranged attacks or jumping or have them "stagger" and get closer to the ground at some point or etc. Those turtle enemies in FF13 were pretty big. I'm sure 15 had some giant enemies too and that somehow worked.

Hmmm, good point. Although let's consider that FFXV allowed the characters to jump (And warp, in the case of Noctis). FFVII Remake's combat system seems like a refined version of Crisis Core's battle system, which is less versatile. I hope they bring out all the creativity they can muster during those battles. It's going to be a real test of ingenuity.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm, good point. Although let's consider that FFXV allowed the characters to jump (And warp, in the case of Noctis). FFVII Remake's combat system seems like a refined version of Crisis Core's battle system, which is less versatile. I hope they bring out all the creativity they can muster during those battles. It's going to be a real test of ingenuity.
I wonder if they'll just make the battle system dynamic like those games (e.g. Cloud wants to attack this flying giant thing so he just jumps to slash it when you select attack) or if they'll bring back a lot of the goofier Independent & Command materias like Long Range and Slash All or whatever.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I literally cannot imagine how they are going to pull the Weapon fights, unless we will be attacking their toenails for 30 minutes.

Maybe they'll have the characters actually leaping onto the Weapons and attacking from there, like the Bahamut SIN fight from Advent Children. They'd have a more hand-crafted cinematic style while still letting you attack and use all your skills at will.

Meanwhile, Vincent and Barret could attack the Weapons from the ground.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will occasionally have a fixed camera in some scenes just to evoke a prerendered bg feel, even if it's for short transition screens or some insignificant areas where you don't really need 3d camera movement.
I've been wondering this too myself. I hope we get some places with fixed camera angles. It would also make life easier for the developers if they don't have to 3D model every single place. I'd be down for that if used sporadically.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What I'm hoping for is the following:

Dual Language & Dual Audio between English & Japanese (Japanese audio with English subtitles). Seriously, it's high tide for that in this day & age.

And hoping that Aeris doesn't die.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This game will have a million haters because the fanbase is impossible to please

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Nibelheim being populated is explained by "shinra hired actors," right? Because if so, i hope they can figure out something better. It's silly .

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
emerald its kinda easy you are under water so its similar to flying, the other ones would be trickier, or it will be qte or maybe could be required a special flight materia that you use only to those fights (similar to underwater materia).

or they will go Advent children route with super high jumps and air combat

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Nibelheim being populated is explained by "shinra hired actors," right? Because if so, i hope they can figure out something better. It's silly .
I actually liked that part.

Made the place seem more creepy, given that it's Cloud and Tifa's home town. It really adds up to the atmosphere.

Maybe they can flesh out Shinra and their actions more. But I hope they don't change it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SHINRA is so damn rich off of Mako energy they can cover up the destruction of an entire town. It's a little silly, but makes sense narratively. And let's be honest, it's no more silly than a lot of other things in VII.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This game will have a million haters because the fanbase is impossible to please
I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan and I'm in the group that will be extremely easy to please. I'll always have the original game and I know like half of my love for it is from nostalgia and so I know the remake can't really top that aspect, but as long as I can see some environments or scenes from the original in an updated and more explorable way I'll be totally happy. Simply evoking my nostalgia through recreated areas will be enough lol.

What's wrong with it? A bit North Koreaish I can see it making sense.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I just have a hard time suspending my disbelief that Shinra has an incentive to do anything beyond report an arson by [someone other than Sephiroth]. Hiring people to act as the residents of a town day in and day out? It's just a bit farfetched to me, and makes the moment when the party arrives at Nibelheim only to go "hey, wait a minute" feel cheap. I understand the writers wanting to call into question Cloud's account, but is it worth this? Surely there has to be a better way.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
giphy.gif

1) the logic you're describing is nowhere to be found in the post you're quoting

2) yes, those were the minority. A very small percentage, actually. The world is much bigger than the internet + your social circle...

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I just have a hard time suspending my disbelief that Shinra has an incentive to do anything beyond report an arson by [someone other than Sephiroth]. Hiring people to act as the residents of a town day in and day out? It's just a bit farfetched to me, and makes the moment when the party arrives at Nibelheim only to go "hey, wait a minute" feel cheap. I understand the writers wanting to call into question Cloud's account, but is it worth this? Surely there has to be a better way.
I guess you could say an entire actor town is a bit much but the in-universe explanation of reporting on anything that goes on to ShinRa makes a bit of sense because of its importance (due to the past events there). Like the reports they were sending back to Hojo about the Reunion related stuff seems reasonable. Also if you consider the ShinRa mansion (even if it's unoccupied in the game) and the reactor, you could kind of reason your way into thinking most of them were just employees doing other work while residing in Nibelheim rather than doing nothing other than pretending to be villagers.

And because I typed the word Reunion:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked that part.

Made the place seem more creepy, given that it's Cloud and Tifa's home town. It really adds up to the atmosphere.

Maybe they can flesh out Shinra and their actions more. But I hope they don't change it.

And now I'm remembering that it was mentioned in one of the novels that Cloud and Tifa revisited Nibelheim after the original game.

and set it on fire.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we think disney is a much bigger town full of actors, i think shinra could do that to a very small town to hide that from the world, but i think it would be easier to just make nibelheim a super restricted area, its not like shinra has the best reputation after corel, gongaga and wutai.

Status
Not open for further replies.