• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

EQqcRlmXYAICfNB

EQqcYptWAAEadni

If nothing else, the FFVII remake has finally confirmed that Red is a feline with some Cheetah like traits. After years of arguments.

Honestly though, something about this and all the other characters seems off; like uncanny valley.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but why didn't anyone tell me FFXIV was awesome?
I try. I feel like people quietly know FFXIV is at its peak right now, but it doesn't get talked about quite the way it should.

Yoshi-P and his team over there keeping the FF legacy going strong with XIV. It topped FFVII as my favorite game ever.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Don't know if any information from the new Game Informer has been posted in here yet, and apologies if this information is already generally known, but I learned a few new tidbits:

- It sounds like in regular combat mode, your teammates do everything themselves unless you switch over to them. Whereas there will also be a "Classic Mode" in combat where your teammates will automatically attack, but every time their ATB gauge fills, you'll be able to choose what action to use that ATB gauge on (e.g., battle commands, items, spells, special attacks).

- You can upgrade a weapon's power and materia slots, and each weapon has its own unique abilities. The more you use these weapon abilities, the more proficient you become with them. If you max out a weapon ability, you can then equip that ability on other weapons.

- Some old materia won't make its way into the new game, but some new materia will be introduced (seemed like an obvious prediction, but nice to have confirmation).

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Don't know if any information from the new Game Informer has been posted in here yet, and apologies if this information is already generally known, but I learned a few new tidbits:

- It sounds like in regular combat mode, your teammates do everything themselves unless you switch over to them. Whereas there will also be a "Classic Mode" in combat where your teammates will automatically attack, but every time their ATB gauge fills, you'll be able to choose what action to use that ATB gauge on (e.g., battle commands, items, spells, special attacks).

- You can upgrade a weapon's power and materia slots, and each weapon has its own unique abilities. The more you use these weapon abilities, the more proficient you become with them. If you max out a weapon ability, you can then equip that ability on other weapons.

- Some old materia won't make its way into the new game, but some new materia will be introduced (seemed like an obvious prediction, but nice to have confirmation).
Yeah, all of this has been known for months now

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Anyone think one of the future chapters (or part of one of the chapters) might have us play Zack and give us a little time exploring his and Cloud relationship/capture and his ultimate execution leading to the start of the game. (Like a super condensed crisis core without the Jank)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Hopeful there are things to do there.

There won't be. We're two months out (one month out from the original release date, no less) and we've seen NOTHING of them as far as playable content is concerned.

As far as Square goes, you should never expect more than what they show. Only exactly what they've shown and sometimes less.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fear you guys are talking about this based on leaks so I'll stop talking about the subject.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Anyone think one of the future chapters (or part of one of the chapters) might have us play Zack and give us a little time exploring his and Cloud relationship/capture and his ultimate execution leading to the start of the game. (Like a super condensed crisis core without the Jank)

Would be a huge missed opportunity not to include some Compilcation of FF7 stuff. Infact, if they don't remake Crisis Core or add it into the remake(s) I'll be seriously disappointed.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I fear you guys are talking about this based on leaks so I'll stop talking about the subject.

We know how Square's marketing works. If they don't have something in a game featured in marketing, there's no point in hoping for it to be there.

We just went down this road with KH3 last year as far as the battle arenas and Final Fantasy characters were concerned.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
???

I am just saying I wouldn't set your expectations too high. They haven't really said anything about the upper plate at all as of yet. So I just don't want people to get their hopes up on something they never promised doing

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We know how Square's marketing works. If they don't have something in a game featured in marketing, there's no point in hoping for it to be there.

We just went down this road with KH3 last year as far as the battle arenas and Final Fantasy characters were concerned.

I mean, not 2 days ago they showed new stuff.

???

I am just saying I wouldn't set your expectations too high. They haven't really said anything about the upper plate at all as of yet. So I just don't want people to get their hopes up on something they never promised doing

They never said anything about any of the exploration or stuff actually. We got our first glimpse on some side quest gameplay now, less than 2 months before the game comes out.

About the leaks, they kinda ruined any discussion for me, so anytime I see people being sure about something I just relate it to the leaks lol

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they show playable content there? Because a cutscene set in an area does not mean you're going to be able to run around there and do things.

I'm not saying we will have whole chapters there, just saying that it's completely possible we will go there somehow. You never know.

Edit: Also not saying it will be a whole explorable area.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly this. Their marketing has been weird as hell for this game. Although it's a remake of a 20+ year old game trotting out things like the intro movie and stuff is out and out weird.
But at least we know it's in there.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There won't be. We're two months out (one month out from the original release date, no less) and we've seen NOTHING of them as far as playable content is concerned.

As far as Square goes, you should never expect more than what they show. Only exactly what they've shown and sometimes less.

So, why did Nomura said that the game is so large that it had to be on two blu-ray disc then, huh?

Please don't tell me that this is another FFXIII debacle but a decade and a month later from that release.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018

Do I think it should? Yes. If the "game" is a trilogy as I expect, it would make sense to have it be like an extended prologue ala Metal Gear Solid 2 opening (and it would break the internet if they could actually keep it a secret). This is for the third part I would assume.

Do I think they will? No. Probably a few cutscenes or some exposition.

I would be incredibly excited if they did though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, why did Nomura said that the game is so large that it had to be on two blu-ray disc then, huh?

Please don't tell me that this is another FFXIII debacle but a decade and a month later from that release.

Probably because they spent a shitload of time and energy on graphics and art assets, just like they always do.

I'm sorry, but just think about it: if there was going to be huge amounts of new content, they would SHOW THAT AND TALK ABOUT IT, because that kind of stuff is easy marketing, especially this close to release. All we've seen is the barest minimum of new content and virtually no new areas.

Just last year KH fans spent AGES going "they're clearly keeping the post-game content and Final Fantasy characters a secret to preserve the surprise" and when the game came out it turned out neither of those things were in the game at all.

That's how you should view Square Enix nowadays - if they're not confident enough to talk about it in marketing materials, it's probably not in the game.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Probably because they spent a shitload of time and energy on graphics and art assets, just like they always do.

I'm sorry, but just think about it: if there was going to be huge amounts of new content, they would SHOW THAT AND TALK ABOUT IT, because that kind of stuff is easy marketing, especially this close to release. All we've seen is the barest minimum of new content and virtually no new areas.

Just last year KH fans spent AGES going "they're clearly keeping the post-game content and Final Fantasy characters a secret to preserve the surprise" and when the game came out it turned out neither of those things were in the game at all.

That's how you should view Square Enix nowadays - if they're not confident enough to talk about it in marketing materials, it's probably not in the game.

You are most likely right tbh. I just wish that they just say this shit to us because it is so goddamn infuriating that they play this semantic game with us for us to buy the game. Ugh, whatever, I am shill for this one. Which is why I like you as a poster. Even though I am gonna to enjoy this and your pragmatic and realistic can piss people off you articulate yourself very well. Thank you.

Cannon_Fodder

Oct 27, 2017

I could've sworn that teammates wouldn't use ATB charges on their own, regardless of mode. Am I wrong?

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The marketing is not weird at all. It's being marketed to players of the original who want to see how this or that scene looks in HD.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The marketing is not weird at all. It's being marketed to players of the original who want to see how this or that scene looks in HD.

And yet it's almost like players of the original are also the people who want to see what NEW STUFF is in this game to justify them charging $60 for the first four hours of the original game's story.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
And yet it's almost like players of the original are also the people who want to see what NEW STUFF is in this game to justify them charging $60 for the first four hours of the original game's story.

Speak for yourself. I am getting it day one based on what I've seen and the basic concept of a FFVII Remake, and I very much do NOT want the new stuff spoiled for me.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Gotta agree with this, I mean they're showing a Midgar Jenova boss fight but no clips above the plate this close to launch? (Maybe DLC, I wouldn't put it past Square to milk the fanbase for every penny).

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

Based on what we have seen, and the leaks, the game should more than justify the price tag with the content. I guess it just comes down to whether you were ever interested in seeing more of Midgard and the more otherwordly aspects of the original game that were not expanded upon.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what we have seen, and the leaks, the game should more than justify the price tag with the content. I guess it just comes down to whether you were ever interested in seeing more of Midgard and the more otherwordly aspects of the original game that were not expanded upon.

The thing is I don't really think we are going to see much more Midgar. We haven't seen ANYTHING NEW so far aside from some boss battles that weren't in the original game. But entirely new areas and dungeons? Not a peep.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Lmao I doubt that. I think the remake is for the players who didn't play it or like it.

It's literally attempting to pull at every heartstring for FFVII fans. SE has been using reaction vids as motivation, and explicitly has told Max that the standard they are reaching for is the emotional impact videos like his have produced. They aren't going to get that from people who have never played it.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I don't really think we are going to see much more Midgar. We haven't seen ANYTHING NEW so far aside from some boss battles that weren't in the original game. But entirely new areas and dungeons? Not a peep.
Literally from the blogpost last week:

Environments
In Final Fantasy VII Remake, iconic locations from the original game have been recreated with amazing modern graphics. Not only that, there will be additional areas that you couldn't get to in the original.

Let's take a look at a couple of areas:

blog.us.playstation.com

New Final Fantasy VII Remake Screenshots Show Red XIII, Side Quests, and More

See Tifa in action, an iconic weapon, and meet a new character, Chadley.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Literally from the blogpost last week:

blog.us.playstation.com

New Final Fantasy VII Remake Screenshots Show Red XIII, Side Quests, and More

See Tifa in action, an iconic weapon, and meet a new character, Chadley.

"New areas that you couldn't get to in the original" is a pretty general statement with no proof or substance to back it up. Considering they expanded the first reactor with a bunch of new rooms, it could literally mean stuff like that.

If they were going to let players run around entirely new portions of Midgar on top of the plate, we would have seen it by now.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's literally attempting to pull at every heartstring for FFVII fans. SE has been using reaction vids as motivation, and explicitly has told Max that the standard they are reaching for is the emotional impact videos like his have produced. They aren't going to get that from people who have never played it.

Why was Nomura bringing up Modernizing the game when it is a classic to us veterans? The battle system, the world and blah blah. I feel like we are taking a backseat and I am objectively wrong here but I feel they want the newcomers to come on aboard more than us.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah just watched the intro and its incredible but also annoying how much they are playing up the scale and showing Midgar as this massive lively city and very likely we will barely get to see any of that really eventhough its an entire game only about Midgar.

Like you can't tell me a lot of people looking at this won't go in expecting that a game that is only about Midgar will have a pretty big Midgar as the game world.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah just watched the intro and its incredible but also annoying how much they are playing up the scale and showing Midgar as this massive lively city and very likely we will barely get to see any of that really eventhough its an entire game only about Midgar.

Like you can't tell me a lot of people looking at this won't go in expecting that a game that is only about Midgar will have a pretty big Midgar as the game world.

Yeah I think we all have to begin tailoring our expectations in that regard. For example I thought they were going to use the trains and motorbikes for us to travel faster this "huge city" a la Cyberpunk, but the first method might be related to a couple of transitions between suburb areas and the motorbike itself used only for some on-rail action chases :\

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I think we all have to begin tailoring our expectations in that regard. For example I thought they were going to use the trains and motorbikes for us to travel faster this "huge city" a la Cyberpunk, but the first method might be related to a couple of transitions between suburb areas and the motorbike itself used only for some on-rail action chases :\

This is not what we're going to get for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.