• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess it's closer to God of War (2018) in terms of level design than FFXIII or FFXV. Mostly linear, but explorable area's with backtracking.

Nomura is on record saying he's not big on huge open worlds.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone played the FFVII Remake demo that someone made in Dreams? There's several separate demos and it's pretty good! The creator put all of their limit breaks in there, including lv4 finals and you can summon Ifrit. There's an Aps demo and a Motor Ball one.

the wait is painful but little things like this stave it off, lol.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'd guess it's closer to God of War (2018) in terms of level design than FFXIII or FFXV. Mostly linear, but explorable area's with backtracking.

Nomura is on record saying he's not big on huge open worlds.
I always figured it would be condensed explorable/linear.
I would prefer these to a giant open world. The open world of XV was not very good. God of War's level design was brilliant.

Honestly, given the fact that the game is chapter based and the side quests are divided by chapters, I'm not even sure if backtracking will be much of a thing at all. It's possible that each chapter will have some kind of quest hub and a few explorable areas to shop and pick up quests, though I'm sure some areas will be shared between chapters.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Anyone played the FFVII Remake demo that someone made in Dreams? There's several separate demos and it's pretty good! The creator put all of their limit breaks in there, including lv4 finals and you can summon Ifrit. There's an Aps demo and a Motor Ball one.

the wait is painful but little things like this stave it off, lol.
The Aps battle was really fucking cool and surprisingly playable... it did minorly satiate my thirst for the remake lol. I hope that guy does more FF stuff or something unique with those skills.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly this. Their marketing has been weird as hell for this game. Although it's a remake of a 20+ year old game trotting out things like the intro movie and stuff is out and out weird.
But at least we know it's in there.

I honestly expect a lot of people to be disappointed because of their expectations.

The way I see it, FFVII will be a fraction of the original game in terms of story. After beating it you know the original game just warmed up. I can't get past that idea. How do you expand this into a full game? If I go by the previews they add in side missions and stuff like rat problem and killing enemy X sound a lot like Marks from previous FF games. Fine, but nothing that sets the world on fire.

But Midgar has to be exceptionally huge and varied, because this is treated, sold and hyped up as a full package. Or there is the slim chance Square actually didn't show a fuck ton of stuff beyond Midgar but I seriously doubt that since its Square.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I genuinely cannot believe that after 8 months of them saying "It's just Midgar" "The game is only Midgar" "This game is the story of Midgar" that there are STILL people saying "Yo, but what if it's not just Midgar tho...."

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I genuinely cannot believe that after 8 months of them saying "It's just Midgar" "The game is only Midgar" "This game is the story of Midgar" that there are STILL people saying "Yo, but what if it's not just Midgar tho...."
I think it's fine if it's just dreaming in good fun, but if people really set their hopes on that idea, it's gonna be rough.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
If there's a superboss who will it be?
Gackt.

Nah, I dunno. I don't know if there's any way to tell. They could make one of the summons a superboss or something, or it could be something completely original.

I don't think they'll be able to throw in one of the weapons because it doesn't quite fit the lore yet.

I do hope there is at least one superboss though.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Gackt.

Nah, I dunno. I don't know if there's any way to tell. They could make one of the summons a superboss or something, or it could be something completely original.

I don't think they'll be able to throw in one of the weapons because it doesn't quite fit the lore yet.

After playing KH limitcut I'm really hoping too. Expectations went way up for this game's battle system and bosses

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
At absolutely best the game ends in Kalm as an epilogue. 0.0001% of the game.
That's a bit hyperbolic. Midgar in the OG game is about a third of the script and about a fifth of the main story play time, in part due to it's lightning fast pacing.

Wait till we get to Part 2 and people go all "Yo what if Aerith doesn't die in this remake"
There's already been speculation on that. I'm of the opinion that it would be a huge mistake to put an Aerith revival option in this project, but I know there are some people who have wanted it.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gackt.

Watch the secret boss be some Before Crisis bullshit that nobody has heard about.
finalfantasy.fandom.com

Jade Weapon

Jade Weapon (ジェイドウェポン, [missing rōmaji]?) is an enemy in the Weapon Mode of Before Crisis -Final Fantasy VII-. Chronologically the first of the planet's Weapons to be awakened from beneath the ice, the Jade Weapon possesses approximately 3,000,000 HP. Around 200 meters in length, the Weapon...

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly expect a lot of people to be disappointed because of their expectations.

The way I see it, FFVII will be a fraction of the original game in terms of story. After beating it you know the original game just warmed up. I can't get past that idea. How do you expand this into a full game? If I go by the previews they add in side missions and stuff like rat problem and killing enemy X sound a lot like Marks from previous FF games. Fine, but nothing that sets the world on fire.

But Midgar has to be exceptionally huge and varied, because this is treated, sold and hyped up as a full package. Or there is the slim chance Square actually didn't show a fuck ton of stuff beyond Midgar but I seriously doubt that since its Square.
They've already said they've made changes/additions to make this Part 1 work better/feel more satisfying as a standalone experience. Like, yes, the grander adventure will be left for the future but they want the Midgar portion to feel fleshed out and epic on its own terms. Purists will probably hate everything that goes off too much from the OG path but I'd expect new players to feel perfectly satisfied with the insane shadow tornado and whatever resolving that requires as a finale.

That's why I feel there's some stuff that was originally later on. Yeah, the original game didn't reveal some of this stuff until, like, hour 23, but we'll probably be spending a minimum of 20-25 hours in Midgar in this Part 1 so from a story pacing POV, it makes sense that they won't drag out some of the twists/reveals from the original game because technically we'll probably learn some of the stuff after about as much playing as in the original game, even if it comes while still being in Midgar.

I feel some lore stuff/world-building/character introductions can easily be switched around to happen earlier. It's not like the scene with Sephiroth from the new trailer happens after only a couple of hours, at that point we'll probably be on the tail end of the game so finally showing/interacting with the villain of this particular story makes some sense.

The original story might've just "warmed up" at that point but the remake seems to want to offer a fairly epic finale (& overall journey) of its own that strays beyond what the original game did at the end of MIdgar. And they've made stuff like Honey Bee Inn a lot more showy, so that kind of feels like less of a goofy minor quest and more of a spectacle that offers enjoyment beyond the original game's fairly low-key questing of running around talking to a few NPCs to get a wig & a dress.

Wait till we get to Part 2 and people go all "Yo what if Aerith doesn't die in this remake"
They are already speculating that...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
At absolutely best the game ends in Kalm as an epilogue. 0.0001% of the game.

I could really see a scenario where the game "ends" at the Midgar escape, but then we get an extended playable credit sequence crossing the dead rocklands and grassfields to Kalm (full of group dialogue to keep it all interesting), then going to the inn, everyone assembling in the room, and the game ends as Cloud begins to tell his story. Then Part 2 can open right on the flashback, which I think would make for a great opening.

This, of course, all assumes the flashback isn't moved to Midgar.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I could really see a scenario where the game "ends" at the Midgar escape, but then we get an extended playable credit sequence crossing the dead rocklands and grassfields to Kalm (full of group dialogue to keep it all interesting), then going to the inn, everyone assembling in the room, and the game ends as Cloud begins to tell his story. Then Part 2 can open right on the flashback, which I think would make for a great opening.

This, of course, all assumes the flashback isn't moved to Midgar.
I think ending with the flash backs would be better for setting up the next game and part 2 starts them leaving Kalm.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think ending with the flash backs would be better for setting up the next game and part 2 starts them leaving Kalm.

Disagree. The flashback is perfect as an opening for anyone (weirdly) playing Part 2 first, since playing as the younger and weaker Cloud while having Sephiroth helping you is a great introduction to the battle system. It also serves well to introduce the main conflict of Part 2, and would bookend well with the discovery of the intact Nibelheim later. The flashback is very much the beginning of the game's second chapter in structure, not the ending of the first.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
There was a virtual reality simulator in CC. I can only imagine what kind of possibilities it provides for all sorts of extra content in the remake including superbosses, if they choose to incorporate it.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm actually surprised at how many people think the opening shows the construction of Midgar in the past or that there is some kind of timelapse or something. Is it really just the slide that throws people off?
It's interesting because in the E3 2015 reveal trailer quite a few people seemed to initially recognize the slide, but there it actually was a completely different one.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The stuff with the playground I don't really get. That's not the sector 7 ( actually I forget which sector) one in the original game

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Also the past theory is especially dumb considering that even if it was the same Park, Sector 6 doesn't have a plate above it in the present. Sector 6's plate is under reconstruction after Avalanche blew it up with Zirconiade.

The stuff with the playground I don't really get. That's not the sector 7 ( actually I forget which sector) one in the original game
The opening playground is in Sector 5 plate. The playground you visit in the game is in Sector 6 slums. They're just mass-produced. Reeve is in charge of urban development and he's into cats.

Last edited:

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The opening playground is in Sector 5 plate. The playground you visit in the game is in Sector 6 slums. They're just mass-produced. Reeve is in charge of urban development and he's into cats.

And beyond this, the point of the opening scene is that these kids have a "good life", while being surrounded by reactors and factories.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the bottom-most HP/MP bar supposed to be the currently-controlled character?

49529523963_277f474fc2_c.jpg

Don't know if it's been pointed out before but I only just noticed that it's Cloud here (and looks that way too given the camera angle) but it's Tifa's commands on the left side of the screen. Given that it's an official screenshot, the likelihood of it being a glitch seems pretty low, yeah? Makes me hopeful that it's a hint at team-based attacks a la FFXV and this screenshot shows the menu in the middle of transitioning player control from Tifa to Cloud.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Isn't the bottom-most HP/MP bar supposed to be the currently-controlled character?

Don't know if it's been pointed out before but I only just noticed that it's Cloud here (and looks that way too given the camera angle) but it's Tifa's commands on the left side of the screen. Given that it's an official screenshot, the likelihood of it being a glitch seems pretty low, yeah? Makes me hopeful that it's a hint at team-based attacks a la FFXV and this screenshot shows the menu in the middle of transitioning player control from Tifa to Cloud.
This might also be some kind of new area or story segment. I'm trying to think of a time in Midgar in which you only have Cloud and Tifa in the party and nothing's coming to mind. Maybe some short period in the Shinra Tower but that doesn't seem to be where they are.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

I noticed this too, but I am almost certain it's a glitch, because in the exact same screenshot of Japanese version, it has Cloud's menu.
017.jpg

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PR screenshots for this game are awesome, a big contrast for FF XV where they used to release some bad looking ones even though the game had great graphics.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The PR screenshots for this game are awesome, a big contrast for FF XV where they used to release some bad looking ones even though the game had great graphics.
yeah lol that game had really bad official PR screenshots..

I mean stuff like this.... official screenshot...
007.jpg

airfight.jpg

The later ones close to launch were a lot better of course.

The FF7R screenshots are a bit too good... like I am sure some of them are cleaned up in certain areas..

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

007.jpg

airfight.jpg

The FF7R screenshots are a bit too good... like I am sure some of them are cleaned up in certain areas..

I remember the thread for this second screenshot. Oof it was a disaster, Square definitely made some baffling decisions releasing those screenshots.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Also the past theory is especially dumb considering that even if it was the same Park, Sector 6 doesn't have a plate above it in the present. Sector 6's plate is under reconstruction after Avalanche blew it up with Zirconiade.

Yeah I figured as much. Reading some comments made it seem like a lot of people thought that there was only one playground or something lol

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

007.jpg

airfight.jpg

I remember those and everyone freaking out. They do look really bad and it's baffling they released those as PR shots, lol.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's pretty astounding the way that people believe the most improbable things about upcoming games purely out of desire.

This E3 is gonna be the one where we get a versus update!

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
We don't actually know all that much about the scope of the game, so it's hard to blame people for letting their imagination running wild.

We also would've had previews by now if it wasn't for the delay.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
We don't actually know all that much about the scope of the game, so it's hard to blame people for letting their imagination running wild.

We also would've had previews by now if it wasn't for the delay.
Yeah, I'm really hoping the three hour previews some youtubers have gotten recently shed some light on the actual structure of the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure and I don't think they are either. Max said he didn't know when he was allowed to talk about his experiences.

I wouldn't be surprised if the preview event was already scheduled for press before the delay, so they just kept it and then extended the NDA longer than usual that way people didn't have to cancel flights and have all their travel plans torpedoed.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
This might also be some kind of new area or story segment. I'm trying to think of a time in Midgar in which you only have Cloud and Tifa in the party and nothing's coming to mind. Maybe some short period in the Shinra Tower but that doesn't seem to be where they are.
It looks like an area around the slums, and in daytime too, so not necessarily a new (might just look new cause of the time?) area but I'd assume it is. They're probably on one of those side quests here too.
I noticed this too, but I am almost certain it's a glitch, because in the exact same screenshot of Japanese version, it has Cloud's menu.
017.jpg
Aww man, looks like you're right. "Brave Mode" definitely sounds like Cloud's ability. Shame... Speaking of Japanese though, do we know if the game will have dual audio? Would love to play with the Japanese VA too.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020

The opening playground is supposed to be in Sector 8 (1:20 from Opening Movie), someone pointed this out to me in the other thread. There is some sort of inconsistency here; because the shot of the girl looking up to see Reactor No. 5 at 1:39 is distance- and perspectivewise clearly a view from Sector 5.
Or maybe the sign that reads "Sector 8" indicates a subsector or directions to get to "Sector 8" because I would find it weird for little street signs to exist just to tell in the middle of a sector that you are in that sector.

Status
Not open for further replies.