• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they'll sell these as dlc later. Actually i wonder what kind of dlc they'll do if they will at all. More quests? New game plus?

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Hard mode should be in
but only on second playthrough iirc.
(I hope this is not considered "demo leak spoiler" lol but better safe than sorry).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I could see prequel DLC. Maybe playable Jessie, Biggs and Wedge on an earlier Avalanche mission? Or go even earlier and show how Barrett and Tifa first met. A Red XIII mission could elaborate on how he was captured. Or, hell, what if they just went completely original and told some other stories set in Midgar with new characters? It's a big place, such things could flesh it out even more.

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping there's not much if any story DLC, make some skins, implement the most requested QOL features, maybe a hard mode, and move onto the sequel.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
They've already started pre-production on the second right? And they said that last year if I recall correctly

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I could see prequel DLC. Maybe playable Jessie, Biggs and Wedge on an earlier Avalanche mission? Or go even earlier and show how Barrett and Tifa first met. A Red XIII mission could elaborate on how he was captured. Or, hell, what if they just went completely original and told some other stories set in Midgar with new characters? It's a big place, such things could flesh it out even more.
A retelling of the events of Before Crisis that's not a mobile phone game would be nice.

The original Avalanche was a much more ruthless terrorist organization. They got cornered by the Turks in Sector 6 in Midgar and in a last ditch effort to "save the planet" they summoned a pseudoWEAPON called Zirconiade to wipe out all life on the planet. The Turks stopped Zirconiade, but it exploded and wiped out the Sector 6 plate.

Sector 6 at the start of FF7:
IKO7PmX.jpg

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish SE hadn't said anything about the sequel being "in pre-production" because that could mean anything and people are getting the wrong idea. I'd be shocked if more than 1% of the dev team is working on the sequel when they were crunching to try and make the fiscal year (which they really needed btw).

The overwhelming majority of the team will be working on this game until it's done updating, and then they'll probably move on to the Xbox, PC, and PS5 port, then they'll transition to full development on the sequel.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's a shame a lot of the compilation is stuck on dead platforms. Especially before crisis, it always looked interesting.

I really wish SE hadn't said anything about the sequel being "in pre-production" because that could mean anything and people are getting the wrong idea. I'd be shocked if more than 1% of the dev team is working on the sequel when they were crunching to try and make the fiscal year (which they really needed btw).

The overwhelming majority of the team will be working on this game until it's done updating, and then they'll probably move on to the Xbox, PC, and PS5 port, then they'll transition to full development on the sequel.
The delay bumped them out of the financial year so I'm wondering if they didn't need it's help and decided to push it to the following quarter. We could be surprised, they could just be polishing up this one and have already moved a fair bit of the team over.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

I'd say part of it is a lot of the assets for Part 1 have likely been designed to be multipurpose so they can be reused to cut down dev time on Part 2. Junon especially can reuse a lot of Midgar stuff. Reactor assets can be used throughout the world. Wall Market assets can be turned into Wutai.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
A retelling of the events of Before Crisis that's not a mobile phone game would be nice.

The original Avalanche was a much more ruthless terrorist organization. They got cornered by the Turks in Sector 6 in Midgar and in a last ditch effort to "save the planet" they summoned a pseudoWEAPON called Zirconiade to wipe out all life on the planet. The Turks stopped Zirconiade, but it exploded and wiped out the Sector 6 plate.

IKO7PmX.jpg

I've never played Before Crisis, is it all set in Midgar? Also, I swear I remember seeing screenshots of it with characters like Cait Sith confirming he's controlled by Reeve - would the game work without that stuff?

This is an issue I've considered before - a lot of the compilation stuff seems like it might be ripe for DLC remakes at first, but then you remember that their stories all have huge spoilers for people who haven't at least gotten pretty damn far into the original story.

I assumed that the work on the sequel is being done by all the people whose work on Part 1 is complete, like concept design, combat, maybe building environments (if they aren't needed for DLC), etc. Wouldn't the people currently working on the April game, even if they are crunching, just be programmers and bug fixers, with the actual "content" of the game almost certainly being complete?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played Before Crisis, is it all set in Midgar? Also, I swear I remember seeing screenshots of it with characters like Cait Sith confirming he's controlled by Reeve - would the game work without that stuff?

This is an issue I've considered before - a lot of the compilation stuff seems like it might be ripe for DLC remakes at first, but then you remember that their stories all have huge spoilers for people who haven't at least gotten pretty damn far into the original story.

I assumed that the work on the sequel is being done by all the people whose work on Part 1 is complete, like concept design, combat, maybe building environments (if they aren't needed for DLC), etc. Wouldn't the people currently working on the April game, even if they are crunching, just be programmers and bug fixers, with the actual "content" of the game almost certainly being complete?
Nah, Before Crisis is a mobile phone prequel where you control a nameless Turk and fight Avalanche. It's set all over the world, but being a phone game it looks like ass.

I think a lot of the compilation is salvageable. There were good ideas. I think the biggest issue was that those ideas couldn't support entire games. But as short DLC stories they could work fine. They never finished the story they were planning. DoC ended with a sequel tease and then nothing.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Nah, Before Crisis is a mobile phone prequel where you control a nameless Turk and fight Avalanche. It's set all over the world, but being a phone game it looks like ass.

I think a lot of the compilation is salvageable. There were good ideas. I think the biggest issue was that those ideas couldn't support entire games. But as short DLC stories they could work fine. They never finished the story they were planning. DoC ended with a sequel tease and then nothing.

I still wonder if we might one day see FFVII-2 with the remake as a base.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Suppose it depends on how well this remake goes. I've always wanted a sequel, it's why I enjoyed the compilation, warts and all.

I would really like it. It's why I wish it was more plausible to remake the compilation as DLC over the course of the FFVIIR project, so it could then be followed up by a full sequel. As it stands, though, it feels like such remakes (apart from Before Crisis) would almost all have to be done as DLC for the final part. Crisis Core would need to wait until after the full Zack reveal which basically can't be until the final part, and everything else is an outright sequel. I suppose the story of the younger Vincent could be hugely expanded and told in DLC for the second-last game, with the main story of DoC made for the final part as a sort of sequel? I don't know, it's all rather messy.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
I dont know why but i feel like the game will end up being similar to Yakuza games but on a much bigger budget lol (which is a good thing).

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
So i've been daydreaming about the feasibility of making the remake in 3 parts, and what type of world spanning gameplay they would be able to create.

Obviously creating a to-scale world akin to the FF7 world map is impossible. This leaves us 4 realistic options;

#1 FF7: A classic overworld map.
#2 Open World: The world of FF7 scaled down into a realistically creatable area, so instead of us travelling the entire globe, we are travelling roughly the area of a county at most.
#3 FF15: Large zones, the world separated into probably 10-12 large areas, separated by loading screen.
#4 FF10: No overworld or open world, just separate areas.

The first 3 options will allow vehicle based gameplay like in the original, #4 however will not.

In an ideal world we would be getting #2, one huge seamless world, allowing us to go where we want freely once we obtain the highwind, the scale of the job would be fairly monumental however.
#1 and #4 are the easy ways out, with #1 being the better option and would also make pretty much everyone happy.
#3 is a possibility, and depending on how much they learned from FF15 might be something they would consider, it would still allow us to use vehicles to travel between zones just with a loading screen in-between.

I'd prefer large open zones with ground vehicles to explore and being able to fly the highwind but only at an altitude where the world can appear at a reasonable scale. Taking off and landing should be handled with brief cinematics at designated landing zones within each explorable region. The world should be able to be rendered if it's obscured by clouds and distant enough to be modeled with simplified geometry. It seems to me to be the best compromise between old and new and I'm surprised no game has attempted it yet.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
So i've been daydreaming about the feasibility of making the remake in 3 parts, and what type of world spanning gameplay they would be able to create.

Obviously creating a to-scale world akin to the FF7 world map is impossible. This leaves us 4 realistic options;

#1 FF7: A classic overworld map.
#2 Open World: The world of FF7 scaled down into a realistically creatable area, so instead of us travelling the entire globe, we are travelling roughly the area of a county at most.
#3 FF15: Large zones, the world separated into probably 10-12 large areas, separated by loading screen.
#4 FF10: No overworld or open world, just separate areas.

The first 3 options will allow vehicle based gameplay like in the original, #4 however will not.

In an ideal world we would be getting #2, one huge seamless world, allowing us to go where we want freely once we obtain the highwind, the scale of the job would be fairly monumental however.
#1 and #4 are the easy ways out, with #1 being the better option and would also make pretty much everyone happy.
#3 is a possibility, and depending on how much they learned from FF15 might be something they would consider, it would still allow us to use vehicles to travel between zones just with a loading screen in-between.
This is how I can see it

1: Midgar
2: Two open worlds areas like Witcher 3, one after the other, the Eastern/Western Continent.
3: 'open world' with boat, old locations and expanded Wutai/Northern Continents and islands like Mideel. New levels like Wutai outposts/settlements and the forest before the ancient temple.
4: Open world, half of is is revisiting old areas and loads of action like return to Midgar/attack on Junon/stealing the huge materia from Nibel's train heist.

That way you get the cliffhanger from whirlwind maze and it'd be a crying shame if it wasn't.

The messiest part is the transition between 2 and 3, but I would add a new ending where you have to protect the tiny bronco, and Rufus/Shirna must be hold up at Mt nibel. Then you can do an ending at Golden Saucer date, where Cid tried to convert his fucked up airship into a boat, and 3 now begins in Wutai looking for a trail for Cait Sith and the turks who betrayed you, then getting the boat as you leave.

Each game would be like 20-25 hours then, I guess.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

IKO7PmX.jpg

Beefs with Compilation aside, the fact they kept this in reference to Before Crisis makes me extremely pleased.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Do covers usually stick out half an inch from the plastic, and have that red pattern at the bottom of it? If not, then I'm guessing fake.

Maybe they were messing with the 'reversible' cover and just didn't get it back in there that well (been there, done that)?

Otherwise... yeah... I basically just assume everything I see on the internet is fake unless it comes from the horse's anus.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, we don't really know that they'll be doing updates/making DLC or anything to this game, nor that they'll be the ones to handle the port. The XV team, for instance, wasn't alone when they did the Windows Edition; Nvidia helped out, and Square still put out multiple XV-related items while the Windows Edition was being developed. Plus, Lightning Returns came out only two years after XIII-2, even with the DLC that game had. Since this game is specifically part 1 of an ongoing series that's greenlit, I'd be surprised if they put out much DLC. Since Unreal Engine allows for porting to other consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if the Xbox release is being kept in mind while they work on the PS4 version.

Plus, they've confirmed that Part 2 is actually being worked on, not just in pre-production.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It was like that in the original FF7, too. BC just explained it.

Sector 6 was simply under construction. I looked at the BC playthrough and there seemed to be nothing indicating that Zirconiade's destruction damaged any part of Midgar. I have a feeling this might be fanon that found its way on some wikis although maybe somebody can decisively prove me wrong.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018

Seems like this is another week for outlets to play the game. I wasn't expecting write-ups and videos this week given the phrasing of some of those who played the game some days ago, so it makes sense the preview event wasn't done in bulk and it's instead tiered.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Sector 6 was simply under construction. I looked at the BC playthrough and there seemed to be nothing indicating that Zirconiade's destruction damaged any part of Midgar. I have a feeling this might be fanon that found its way on some wikis although maybe somebody can decisively prove me wrong.

From the puzzle in the Shinra building:
"When construction of Sector 6 is finished, Shinra's plan will be complete. That must be why he took Aerith."

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017

Seems like this is another week for outlets to play the game. I wasn't expecting write-ups and videos this week given the phrasing of some of those who played the game some days ago, so it makes sense the preview event wasn't done in bulk and it's instead tiered.

from footage i saw it seemed like only a few stations were set up and everyone was given about 3-4 hours of hands on time, i'm sure press sites also got time to do interviews. my prediction has been week of march 3rd we'd get preview impressions, announcement that the game has gone gold, and potentially a new trailer, but who knows.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
from footage i saw it seemed like only a few stations were set up and everyone was given about 3-4 hours of hands on time, i'm sure press sites also got time to do interviews. my prediction has been week of march 3rd we'd get preview impressions, announcement that the game has gone gold, and potentially a new trailer, but who knows.
And the demo! Pls.

Yeah, that seems to be a pretty hefty amount of time, so I assume they might have played some sidequests and the like apart from some main stuff (maybe even some of the missions we saw in the screenshots last week).

Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture of the game's structure. I'm not expecting a huge departure in that sense.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
The release of the previews is probably my most anticipated gaming related thing, right next to the release of the actual game. I'm in some super Zen state with the game, where I'm really hyped for it but my expectations for it are essentially zero. However, I'd still like to know what to expect for the game.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I traded my pro. Sounded like a jet plane taking off.Is the graphics not that much better PS4 -> Pri for FFVIIR
ah. I don't think we've seen what enhancements the PS4 Pro provides yet. i'm just going to guess that the pro will have either higher resolution (4K checkerboard) or a higher/more stable frame rate. i dont even think theres been an official statement on the frame rate of the game either.

And the demo! Pls.

Yeah, that seems to be a pretty hefty amount of time, so I assume they might have played some sidequests and the like apart from some main stuff (maybe even some of the missions we saw in the screenshots last week).

Hopefully we'll get a clearer picture of the game's structure. I'm not expecting a huge departure in that sense.
forgot to mention the demo, would love to get it soon. also yes i assume they got 3-4 hours to just play the game which probably included those side quests.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix is ramping up its promotion for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but not everything is going as planned.

An train decorated with the characters from the game nicknamed "Battle Train" created for an event announced a while ago has begun running on the high-traffic Yamanote Line in Tokyo.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, not everything has gone according to Square Enix's plans.

As announced on the game's official Twitter account, the event — that was supposed to happen on the train on February 22 with attendees selected via lottery after an application process — has been canceled due to concerns for the Coronavirus outbreak.

twinfinite.net

Final Fantasy VII Remake Train Appears in Tokyo, But Square Enix Cancels Event Due to Coronavirus

Square Enix is ramping up its promotion for the Final Fantasy VII Remake, but not everything is going as planned by the publisher.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It was under construction in the original game, but it never says why. It's odd for 6 out of 8 to be the last Sector to be built, and especially odd for it to not just be unfinished but completely unbuilt.

2X21Kag.jpg

The outer ring that connects the reactors together isn't even there and if you look closely it looks like it was broken.

The model in Shinra HQ makes it look damaged, too:
p9Zgswz.jpg

And the Sector 6 Slums are different from other Slums in that they aren't just a garbage dump.
rbKlIgV.png

This road got damaged really badly and is covered in debris.
"Collapsed Road: A relic from the Sector 6 plate crash that occured during Midgar's construction."

Regardless of how it happened, FF7r is confirming that Sector 6 plate did collapse and it is being rebuilt.
Not saying they had things super planned out or anything, but FF7 is full of unrealized ideas. Maybe they planned to have a backstory where Avalanche destroyed Sector 6 and Shinra could use that to justify destroying Sector 7 but never got around to it.

I can't find confirmation of that Before Crisis tidbit about Zirconiade causing the plate collapse.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm pretty sure Midgar was just meant to be unfinished. In Crisis Core, even the Shinra HQ is still partially under construction.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
More people playing the game (this is a Spanish videogame website I love, about the only one I honestly read in any language really).

Really cool venue, I don't know if it's in Spain or if they travelled (to another European country or the US). And I love the Remake Buster Sword, hated the one in the Compilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.