• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
After watching that PS5 presentation yesterday and not being too familiar with tech jargon (I'm not a techie), to those experienced and knowledgeable about all that SSD/boost clock stuff, what does that MEAN in regards to Final Fantasy Remake 2? How does this benefit the next installment and differ from what we are likely to see in this first one?

I mean, yeah, some of the things I DID pick up sound cool (virtually NO loading times, able to render areas in a split-second to the point you don't need twisty corridors and can allow devs to do more interesting things with the environments). We know the next game Cloud and co. will finally be venturing off into the world for the first time, and every additional episode/chapter from then on out will have a focus on world travel, not being stuck to one single location (like the first game). Just wondering.
It depends if Square choose to prioritise PS5 (or at least divide development for PS5 exclusive features). If they do you could expect very clear textures for long draw distances (say between midgar and the chocobo farm / Kalm) thanks to the faster SSD.

I guess I could also see Sony initially providing incentives (monetary or otherwise) to 3rd parties that choose to take advantage of the SSD for PS5.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
After watching that PS5 presentation yesterday and not being too familiar with tech jargon (I'm not a techie), to those experienced and knowledgeable about all that SSD/boost clock stuff, what does that MEAN in regards to Final Fantasy Remake 2? How does this benefit the next installment and differ from what we are likely to see in this first one?

I mean, yeah, some of the things I DID pick up sound cool (virtually NO loading times, able to render areas in a split-second to the point you don't need twisty corridors and can allow devs to do more interesting things with the environments). We know the next game Cloud and co. will finally be venturing off into the world for the first time, and every additional episode/chapter from then on out will have a focus on world travel, not being stuck to one single location (like the first game). Just wondering.

It means increased fidelity with zero loading times,something they are already achieving with the first part, though with some sleight of hand mixed in.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No loading times? Is this confirmed? I heard it was a rumor that Nomura wanted it.
No loading times as in the game is most likely one seamless experience, with all loading screens hidden by stuff like this:
n9YNDSZ.gif

OP
OP
ArkhamFantasy

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to guess how they'll use the SSD because we don't have any idea what their zone/open world/overworld solution is.

One thing i think of as a cool possibility is how it could work for the highwind, i doubt this is going to be a massive open world series of games where flying the highwind around like FFXV or Just Cause 3 would make sense, i suspect we're going zone to zone, which would obviously make a highwind pretty much impossible, but if they can use the SSD to quickly render a large open enviornment just for flying with the highwind and loading up the actual area when you land would be pretty neat.

We'll see, RIP shimmy sections and elevator rides.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone see the new footage of
meteor being summoned
from the new Japanese trailer?

Talks about it here. Edit, i see that there is a thread on it.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The only loading times in the demo were at the very beginning and if you attempted to skip a cutscene. But they do some very clever tricks to load and transition during gameplay.

I'd suspect the feedback from FFXV on vanilla ps4 has something to do with that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Linear doesn't inherently mean polished and open world doesn't inherently mean janky. FFXV had troubled development where a lot of the problems came down to the team trying to reinvent the wheel, again, when it came to their engine. We're probably never getting another FF developed with proprietary tech again after a literal decade of development problems caused by trying to make an engine for the franchise that each time, didn't suit the developer's needs beyond the basics. Arguably FFXV would've turned out to be better as a smaller title because several design decisions clashed with each other.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Yesterday I finished the original game and now I'm little sad that it's not the complete game/story because there are so many incredible scenes that I'm dying to see in the remake.
Nanaki discovering the truth about his father
The whole Forgotten City
Don Corneo kidnaping Yuffie and Elena
Cloud on wheelchair
Tifa helping Cloud recover his memories
Tifa vs Scarlett
Lauching the rocket against the Meteor and everyone desperate because the plan failed
Rufus shooting with Sister Ray against the Weapon and the Sephiroth's barrier
Zack saving Cloud from the Shinra Mansion and take him to Midgar
The end game
Had you played it before?

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone see the new footage of
meteor being summoned
from the new Japanese trailer?

Talks about it here. Edit, i see that there is a thread on it.

I'm still on the "It's a vision he shows Cloud while explaining his motives" train.

Basically that exposition from the Temple of the Ancients. Just moved to earlier and with a vision of Meteor added.

Sephiroth (swinging the Masamune)
It's simple.
Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury.
The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury.

He stabs the Masamune into the floor.

...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet?
Think how much energy would be gathered!

He pulls the Masamune from the ground.

Ha ha ha. And at the center of that injury, will be me.
All that boundless energy will be mine.
By merging with all the energy of the Planet, I will become a new life form, a new existence.
Melding with the Planet... I will cease to exist as I am now...
Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every soul.

Aeris
An injury powerful enough to destroy the Planet?
Injure... the Planet?

Sephiroth
Behold that mural. The Ultimate Destructive Magic... Meteor.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm still on the "It's a vision he shows Cloud while explaining his motives" train.

Basically that exposition from the Temple of the Ancients. Just moved to earlier.
Same here. I don't think they're going to move Meteor's actual summoning up to Midgar. It's just gonna be foreshadowing and throwing some iconic FFVII imagery into this game.

Very interested if I turn out to be wrong though.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what's going to go in the temple of the ancients now then? It's pretty exciting seeing all these differences

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

Basically that exposition from the Temple of the Ancients. Just moved to earlier and with a vision of Meteor added.

Ahhhh, that's where the Sephiroth motive reveal is, thank you. After seeing the trailer, I was struggling to remember where Cloud first learns of Sephiroth's plan in the original game.

It makes sense for Sephiroth to share his plan in Part 1 of the remake so that the stakes are established for the the rest of the installments to come, eg. the ring must be taken to Mordor to be destroyed in Lord of the Rings, the need to free humans from the machines/Matrix in The Matrix, holy shit Voldemort is still a threat in Harry Potter, etc.

It must have been challenging (and fascinating) for the FFVIIR team to figure out what plot beats from later in the game needed to be shifted into Part 1 so that there is proper set-up for the installments to come. Come to think of it, I also can't remember at what point we find out about Shinra's scheme re: the Promised Land and Neo Midgar - I think it's fairly early on?

...it's not like I've played the original game multiple times or anything. Thanks, brain.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ahhhh, that's where the Sephiroth motive reveal is, thank you. After seeing the trailer, I was struggling to remember where Cloud first learns of Sephiroth's plan in the original game.

It makes sense for Sephiroth to share his plan in Part 1 of the remake so that the stakes are established for the the rest of the installments to come, eg. the ring must be taken to Mordor to be destroyed in Lord of the Rings, the need to free humans from the machines/Matrix in The Matrix, holy shit Voldemort is still a threat in Harry Potter, etc.

It must have been challenging (and fascinating) for the FFVIIR team to figure out what plot beats from later in the game needed to be shifted into Part 1 so that there is proper set-up for the installments to come. Come to think of it, I also can't remember at what point we find out about Shinra's scheme re: the Promised Land and Neo Midgar - I think it's fairly early on?

...it's not like I've played the original game multiple times or anything. Thanks, brain.
In the Shinra building while you're in the vent I believe you find out about Neo Midgar

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The only loading times in the demo were at the very beginning and if you attempted to skip a cutscene. But they do some very clever tricks to load and transition during gameplay.

I'd suspect the feedback from FFXV on vanilla ps4 has something to do with that.

Yes, they do. But one of the best parts of the SSD is that the devs will no longer need to spend all this time and work coming up with "clever tricks" to work around slow HDDs. They will be free to make their games, levels, and environments exactly as they envision them, seamlessly and with no drawbacks.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Watch out, heavy spoilers in the wild from someone that appearently has cleared a debug version of the game.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Have they said anything about being able to turn off damage numbers? Was playing the demo again and was surprised to see no such option, imo they ruin the presentation to some degree so I rather play without them.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
From what I've read (if it's the same thing everyone else is talking about) I don't believe it because

apparently cloud has a vision of him beating Aerith at the temple of ancients. (Seph seems all about showing him visions of the future, changing fate seems to a big theme if it's real) but it's first person, strangling. There's no way that shit happens. It's tasteless

Really be careful. I think it's bullshit but I could be wrong

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read (if it's the same thing everyone else is talking about) I don't believe it because

apparently cloud has a vision of him beating Aerith at the temple of ancients. (Seph seems all about showing him visions of the future, changing fate seems to a big theme if it's real) but it's first person, strangling. There's no way that shit happens. It's tasteless

It would be an interesting narrative device if they're using "visions" in this first game to basically show previews of the future games. Plus if these are "visions", they are completely free to make tese scenes differ when we actually get to these future games.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing the classic FF7 again after decades... So far it's very much a "rose colored glasses" thing going on.

The Midgard part feels so rushed and narratively Under-done. Not to mention some issues with the combat.

I'm glad the Remake will expand on Midgard because it really needs it.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It would be an interesting narrative device if they're using "visions" in this first game to basically show previews of the future games. Plus if these are "visions", they are completely free to make those scenes differ when we actually play the future games.

I mean
yeah visions are cool. I have no problem with that. But apparently the same person is saying it's pretty violent with cloud and aerith. It's not a good look. That's the main reason I'm doubting it.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Have they said anything about being able to turn off damage numbers? Was playing the demo again and was surprised to see no such option, imo they ruin the presentation to some degree so I rather play without them.
I hope so too. It's crazy though, we're in the minority. A couple threads have popped up about damage numbers and almost all of them end with a majority of users on the "on" side of things.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I hope so too. It's crazy though, we're in the minority. A couple threads have popped up about damage numbers and almost all of them end with a majority of users on the "on" side of things.

Yeah I don't really understand why people enjoy them, but it is what is I guess.

In FFVII case they don't seem very useful since you have a shit ton of numbers popping out on the screen at the same time. In case that option isn't there at launch at least I hope they patch it later.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't it mentioned that those ghost-like things ...
... are time/space entities trying to make sure things go down a certain way. Basically protecting the fated path of history. This could tie to Meteor and all that shit. I'm HONESTLY wondering if this reboot will just go off in a TOTALLY NEW direction than the original game did. If "fighting against fate" is a REAL THEME (that wasn't as big of a theme in the original), how far will Square Enix PUSH it so this game is nothing like the base material. The notion that all this was presented to Cloud THIS EARLY and the future refused to change would be tragic, but also pointless to the player. Imagine, just for a minute, this new FFVII Remake series does what the original didn't. It's a "new take" on the events of FFVII. So "new" that things that happened in the original will be prevented, and people who died will LIVE. Imagine that. Already, from the data mined from the demo months back, we know that not all of Avalanche died during the Sector 7 plate's collapse. What if the FFVII Remake is a "what if" take on the original, an "alternate universe" version where different things happened in different ways.

The Watchers of Fate (that their name?) are trying desperately to make things go down the way they are "supposed to", as according to the original's story (if symbolism is concerned, they are those old school PS1 FFVII fanboys that want the straight-up remake), trying to interfere with the "new direction" and "new possibilities". In this retelling, the heroes have become self-aware of these entities/people, and are actively fighting this fate to go "a new way".

Just an odd thought. Maybe there's some truth in that leak and the road this remake will go down will be a wild one. I mean, EVEN THOUGH Nomura's heading it, Nojima's doing the heavy lifting regarding the story. Nojima, who is responsible for some of the most batshit crazy story concepts when left unchained. The dude that made Tidus kick a bomb and have his decapitated head fly towards Yuna, as well as created
"old gods" of Spira (that we never explained in either of the FFX games), OLD summoners that were named after those gods and a love triangle between a summoner and her Guardian where she loved him so much, she spared him his fate of turning into a Fayth by fucking his rival (literally), so she could turn the rival into her Fayth(something about establishing a sexual bond to to create that Fayth), while leaving her original Guardian to wallow in his betrayal and hatred (he also, sadly, is killed right after he walks in on those two naked in bed, and this all happens during the Bevelle/Zanarkand War), thus becoming like Auron, a living dead person.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Linear doesn't inherently mean polished and open world doesn't inherently mean janky. FFXV had troubled development where a lot of the problems came down to the team trying to reinvent the wheel, again, when it came to their engine. We're probably never getting another FF developed with proprietary tech again after a literal decade of development problems caused by trying to make an engine for the franchise that each time, didn't suit the developer's needs beyond the basics. Arguably FFXV would've turned out to be better as a smaller title because several design decisions clashed with each other.

I just don't get why people think FFXV had development issues because of its engine? Simply not true. XIII did and thats why they switched engines. XV did not. XV simply didn't get as much time as it needed to fulfill the development teams (granted too big) ambitions.

If the engine would be an issue SE wouldn't have funded an entire new studio AFTER XV shipped solely using that engine.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I just don't get why people think FFXV had development issues because of its engine? Simply not true. XIII did and thats why they switched engines. XV did not. XV simply didn't get as much time as it needed to fulfill the development teams (granted too big) ambitions.

If the engine would be an issue SE wouldn't have funded an entire new studio AFTER XV shipped solely using that engine.

The engine itself was difficult to work with from what others have said. People were learning how to use it on the fly. But that's second hand info.

Oct 25, 2017
... are time/space entities trying to make sure things go down a certain way. Basically protecting the fated path of history. This could tie to Meteor and all that shit. I'm HONESTLY wondering if this reboot will just go off in a TOTALLY NEW direction than the original game did. If "fighting against fate" is a REAL THEME (that wasn't as big of a theme in the original), how far will Square Enix PUSH it so this game is nothing like the base material. The notion that all this was presented to Cloud THIS EARLY and the future refused to change would be tragic, but also pointless to the player. Imagine, just for a minute, this new FFVII Remake series does what the original didn't. It's a "new take" on the events of FFVII. So "new" that things that happened in the original will be prevented, and people who died will LIVE. Imagine that. Already, from the data mined from the demo months back, we know that not all of Avalanche died during the Sector 7 plate's collapse. What if the FFVII Remake is a "what if" take on the original, an "alternate universe" version where different things happened in different ways.

The Watchers of Fate (that their name?) are trying desperately to make things go down the way they are "supposed to", as according to the original's story (if symbolism is concerned, they are those old school PS1 FFVII fanboys that want the straight-up remake), trying to interfere with the "new direction" and "new possibilities". In this retelling, the heroes have become self-aware of these entities/people, and are actively fighting this fate to go "a new way".
If that is actually what happens, then all the faith that I barely have left in Nomura and Nojima is but gone.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The *** about that vision is fake. All the other stuff I talked about isn't. If anything, the poster was using the known stuff to sound more credible.

Honestly I'm totally cool if that's the direction they decide to go with it. But I suspect the ultimate direction will be the same

The script leaks do imply that those things intend to keep destiny on some path, but that it is the will of the planet, not some spacetime stuff. Now, it could be, but the script seems to imply they are intentionally leaving the player wondering what they are as things move into game 2. I'll be honest, given the metaphysical nature of some of SE's recent work, it wouldn't surprise me if the WoF are there to make sure Aerith dies and are a representative of those fans and people within SE that believe Aerith needs to die for this story to have proper meaning. It's likely a retort to those who want Aerith to live. The stuff Max revealed seems to jive with this, as they show up and cause a commotion with Aerith to get Cloud near her and start this set of events where he has to protect her, but ultimately leads her to her doom by bringing her along. You could also make just as compelling an argument that the WoF are there to set forth events that bring Aerith to the Forgotten City to summon Holy.

BTW, I don't doubt that they're going to go dark with how Cloud treats Aerith, but I don't think it's going to be as bad as what is described in that 4chan leak. .

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

That'd be a good way to turn me off from the project

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
The engine itself was difficult to work with from what others have said. People were learning how to use it on the fly. But that's second hand info.

Yeah because it wasn't finished. The core issue of XV was a messy management of the product (we all know what I mean) and not enough time. I just think its wrong to point fingers at the engine.

But this is going offtopic so I'm going to drop it here. Sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.