• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
They should add Rufus chasing you in an armed helicopter during the bike chase. Then at the end of the chase (end of Episode Midgar) he fights you as the final boss instead of the random "Motor Ball" enemy from the original game.
I wouldn't mind seeing them incorporate the Motor Ball into the actual chase rather than it being a boss fight.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I 100% agree. Motor Ball is such a bad boss to end on.

Make it Rufus or have them fight Tseng, Reno, and Rude

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. i got a better idea now

you beat Motor Ball, but the flying drone you beat on the elevator before comes back, then it, Motorball, and rufus' helicopter merge together to make the FF7 Equivalent of Brute Justice

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread says Open Spoilers and by that I mean FFVII OG spoilers only right? Cause any further changes and surprises that may come in FFVIIR I don't wanna know until I play it (and hopefully Square won't spoil too much of them in upcoming trailers).

We cool on not spoiling new and unannounced stuff from the Remake?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the "leaks" the interview one looks the most fake.
Honestly I don't trust any of the leaks tbh.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wait, those leaks came from steam? lol
I read them on reddit and it's supposed to come from the El Segundo SE branch in California.
I didn't know it was an interview.

AfC79o9.png

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
when there is way too much specific details on the leak, I feel it's most likely fake. All of the leaks I have seen so far has too much specific details imo.
Also way too optimistic as well. Things like November release date is something I just can't see happening, even when I believe part 1 will come out by Q1 2020 at the latest.

Also as much as I would love it to be 2 part, I still feel it's going to be 3 part game.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is that Reddit post the only one that mentioned a November release date?

May 26, 2018
I demand remake Tifa be classic Tifa.

jonathan-romeo-tifa-tribute.jpg

I want her to look like a talented martial artist. Fidelity is getting crazy good now. If she's going to be taking down fully-armored soldiers and straight-up punching huge robots, I'd like to see a tiny bit of believability. Just a smidgen. I think it'd make her look cool.

She doesn't need to look like a max-power MMA fighter, but just anything would be great. Make me believe she's an active fighter in a violent revolutionary group.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Currently replaying the original.

When unlocking further Limit Breaks there's some that require killing like 80 enemies.

Could anyone please confirm is said character must give the killing blow to 80 enemies or does she or he just need to be on the active party and all kill 80 enemies regardless of who gives the killing blows? Please tell me it's the latter!

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Currently replaying the original.

When unlocking further Limit Breaks there's some that require killing like 80 enemies.

Could anyone please confirm is said character must give the killing blow to 80 enemies or does she or he just need to be on the active party and all kill 80 enemies regardless of who gives the killing blows? Please tell me it's the latter!

They have to deliver the killing blow but it isn't as much of a pain as it sounds.

Get the enemy skill mantra magic and then go to a place which regularly spawns 5 enemies. Put 3x speed on and you will get it in no time

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I just realized that I'll have to catch up S-E's conference in the morning, like we Europeans are used with Sony's.

I don't think I'll be strong enough to not google "FF VII REMAKE release date" before watching the archived stream :/
I demand remake Tifa be classic Tifa.

jonathan-romeo-tifa-tribute.jpg
She looks so damn terrifying here I swear what's up with her face lol

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
It's also really weird how many people remember "classic Tifa" as showing cleavage. People see what they want I guess.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Waiting for more information is killing me, it's only a few weeks away but it feels like a lifetime

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Waiting for more information is killing me, it's only a few weeks away but it feels like a lifetime
For real, I've gone from not really being excited about this E3 to dreading the fact that we're still three or so weeks away.

Us having the possibility of an actual huge blowout of info after four years is a really exciting thought.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going through Tim Rogers' fucking amazing "Let's Mosey" video's of the JP/EN translation differences of FFVII I'm endlessly puzzled by the Aerith-Zack relationship.

According to Tim the JP script never confirms they were an item, just that Aerith liked Zack but not once do they specify that the feeling was mutual or anything like that. Meanwhile in the English translation they outright say Zack was an ex boyfriend.

Ignoring for a moment the cultural significance it would've meant for a JRPG female character to have confirmation of having been in a serious heterosexual relationship before she even met the protagonist aka Cloud (it's depressing that in Japan this was never true), my question is the following:

Did they make Zack X Aerith being in a relationship canon after FFVII in Japan or were they left ambiguous like in the original script? I didn't play Crisis Core, I know a young Aerith appears there. Is she shown to be Zack's girlfriend there or in any other expanded universe story?

EDIT: seriously someone name me one other female love interest to a male JRPG main protagonist that's confirmed to have had a boyfriend prior to meeting the MC. Can't think of one.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Crisis Core makes it pretty clear that they are romantically interested in each other.

I don't think they outright ever call them a couple...been a long time since I played it.

Oct 25, 2017
Going through Tim Rogers' fucking amazing "Let's Mosey" video's of the JP/EN translation differences of FFVII I'm endlessly puzzled by the Aerith-Zack relationship.

According to Tim the JP script never confirms they were an item, just that Aerith liked Zack but not once do they specify that the feeling was mutual or anything like that. Meanwhile in the English translation they outright say Zack was an ex boyfriend.

Ignoring for a moment the cultural significance it would've meant for a JRPG female character to have confirmation of having been in a serious heterosexual relationship before she even met the protagonist aka Cloud (it's depressing that in Japan this was never true), my question is the following:

Did they make Zack X Aerith being in a relationship canon after FFVII in Japan or were they left ambiguous like in the original script? I didn't play Crisis Core, I know a young Aerith appears there. Is she shown to be Zack's girlfriend there or in any other expanded universe story?

EDIT: seriously someone name me one other female love interest to a male JRPG main protagonist that's confirmed to have had a boyfriend prior to meeting the MC. Can't think of one.

In Crisis Core Zack asks her out and she says she'll consider it. They flirt a lot. They never get together though cause of the whole Nibelheim incident happening. Aerith sent him a bunch of emails while he was in the tank with Cloud and eventually gave up trying to contact him. She later feels him return to the planet.

Rinoa in FFVIII is established to have dated Seifer before the game though.

Last edited:

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
So, this is somewhat off-topic, but I don't think it's worthy of it's own thread and there are a lot of FF7 fans (I presume) that pop in here and I've gotta finally get some closure on this because it's driven me a lil bit crazy that I never see anyone reference it.

I'm referring to the cinematic that happens between the big final boss fight of FF7 and the, uh, final showdown that happens right after? Context in the video below (SPOILERS FOR FF7):

(skip to 11:50 if the timecode doesn't work)

So we have this interesting tunnel journey of sorts that results in that final showdown at the end of it. What has been driving me crazy for so long is that I'm pretty sure that this is reference or inspiration to a pretty similar scene near the end of the hit 1992 Emilio Estevez vehicle Freejack (SPOILERS FOR EMILIO ESTEVEZ'S FREEJACK):

They are both very similar in length and feature a similar interlude segment halfway through which ends with the discovery of some kinda node to continue said tunnel journey. They both end with arrival at a barren looking environment wherein they meet the final boss. After that... they differ. Emilio Estevez did not know how to perform Omnislash, for instance.

But... am I crazy? These are pretty similar, right? Beyond that there is at least precedence of this kind of inspiration found in game music (see https://retronauts.com/article/24/its-retronauts-pocket-episode-1) which kind of leads me to believe if there were musicians taking inspiration and influence from music elsewhere in the world, perhaps the same happened in the visual effects department.

But wait, there's more! This happens again with the 1997 roller-coaster thrill-ride/ heartfelt adaptation of Carl Sagan's "Contact", also in the final leg of the story, albeit with a lot more grandeur and length (OK TO GO FOR SPOILERS OF CONTACT):

Of course this came out after FF7, so I'm not saying someone at squaresoft traveled forward in time or something crazy. No.

HOWEVER

Is it possible that someone working on 1997's Contact just played a japanese import copy of Final Fantasy 7 and created that scene in less than six months? *shakes head emphatically yes* Wait what do you mean "NO"? OK OK I concede. But... maybe they TOO took inspiration from Freejack. Anyway, it's pretty crazy how close all three of these magic tunnel journeys seem to come to each other. I have no idea if there is some classic, common underlying theme here that I'm missing. I'm just glad that I was finally able to get it out there.

The defense rests, your honor.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Zack and Aerith were an item in Crisis Core. You have a couple of missions walking her around too and they meet at points in the game.

Aerith was the last and most impactful DMW memory he had before he fell

She also felt him returning to the planet and was upset

In AC and ACC, they are together in death, in the lifestream. Say Cloud is "too big" to be a child like Kadaj and sends him back

So yes. They were an item. Just like Cloud and Tifa are an item, kinda since they were kids and teenagers, without straight out saying it. (Unless you counting the night under the Highwind before the final battle huehue ) Just because Cloud and Aerith grew feelings for each other does not change others.

You can make an argument who loved who more, but that is not the point. All these existed.

Crisis-Core-Aerith-hugging-Zack.jpg

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Kinda off-topic, but I've seen this mod for FF VII and holy fuck, it's perfect.

Seeing the character models actually look like Nomura's concept art is the best.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zack and Aerith were an item in Crisis Core. You have a couple of missions walking her around too and they meet at points in the game.

In AC and ACC, they are together in death, in the lifestream. Say Cloud is "too big" to be a child like Kadaj and sends him back

So yes. They were an item. Just like Cloud and Tifa are an item, kinda since they were kids and teenagers, without straight out saying it. (Unless you counting the night under the Highwind before the final battle huehue ) Just because Cloud and Aerith grew feelings for each other does not change others.

You can make an argument who loved who more, but that is not the point. All these existed.

Crisis-Core-Aerith-hugging-Zack.jpg
Happy to see they made the relationship more obvious in CC because from what I can tell from Tim Rogers in the original FFVII script they never specify this. They don't confirm them being an item but it also doesn't deny it. Somehow Aerith only having a crush on Zack and the feeling not being mutual sounds so depressing and lame like the JP text explains it could be. Of course this way the player can infer that Zack being only a crush means the purity of Aerith continues to be untouched and if anime has reached me anything is that Japanese people care too much about a woman's virginity.

But I digress.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. They're pretty clearly shipped by SE.
They were never officially dating before FFVII though. They flirt and play coy and then Zack leaves and they never see each other in life again.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but it's still quite interesting to see how they look different due to different team/engine worked on...
Dissidia NT Cloud and Remake Cloud feels quite different.
Rr2zBa7.jpg

MyXesKn.jpg

9ksqLUg.jpg

Iq3pF77.jpg

NT does have a unique style to it. So you may notice some minor differences. Though we most likely getting the Tifa we always get. Though NT Tifa will likely be 1:1 nearly with her classic design just in the NT style

While I am certain we getting the same for Remake, she may have alterstions to fabric and accessories. Even Aerith who has a different dress, from a glace you first think that is what she wears normally. Though its probably easier to animate too. Barret's the same way. So I am interested how they stick very closely to the classic look while putting a slight new spin on it. Or maybe she will be like Cloud and hardly anything at all

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see they made the relationship more obvious in CC because from what I can tell from Tim Rogers in the original FFVII script they never specify this. They don't confirm them being an item but it also doesn't deny it. Somehow Aerith only having a crush on Zack and the feeling not being mutual sounds so depressing and lame like the JP text explains it could be. Of course this way the player can infer that Zack being only a crush means the purity of Aerith continues to be untouched and if anime has reached me anything is that Japanese people care too much about a woman's virginity.

But I digress.

You're right. Do we have a more recent example? Back in the 90s the trope of the anime pure/innocent girl next door love interest to the male JRPG protagonist wasn't as established and demanded by otaku as they are now.

Yeah. They made it clear that Zack was the one with a thing for her. She clearly likes him too but plays coy with a bunch of "I'll consider dating you maybe" lines. He tragically disappears before they can date for real though. I like to think she later doesn't know what to think since he disappeared on her. She may not be sure if he ever liked her since he left and never responded to her emails before dying years later.

Lulu is a widow if that counts lol. She's Wakka's love interest ultimately, but the game does let you flirt with her and get unique scenes for having more points with her than the other characters.

Ashe is also a widow, though she doesn't have a love interest in XII. So a young female protag who isn't "pure".

I don't really know much outside of Final Fantasy lol.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They're pretty clearly shipped by SE.
They were never officially dating before FFVII though. They flirt and play coy and then Zack leaves and they never see each other in life again.

You don't have to be "officially dating" to have mutual feelings for each other. Which is obviously the intent in the relationship

Cloud and Aerith were never an "official couple" but they still had feelings

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Man enough of the pairing stuff.

It's obvious Cloud and Aerith were meant to be.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They made it clear that Zack was the one with a thing for her. She clearly likes him too but plays coy with a bunch of "I'll consider dating you maybe" lines. He tragically disappears before they can date for real though.

Lulu is a widow if that counts lol. She's Wakka's love interest ultimately, but the game does let you flirt with her and get unique scenes for having more points with her than the other characters.

Ashe is also a widow, though she doesn't have a love interest in XII. So a young female protag who isn't "pure".

I don't really know much outside of Final Fantasy lol.
I specifically said female love interests to a main JRPG male protagonist. Ashe isn't a love interest but having her be married was a bold move still. Did she actually got to spend time as husband and wife before her partner died? I can't remember how soon after the wedding the guy died.

Lulu is a stretch and she's not a real love interest to Tidus. I will however say this: Final Fantasy falls way less to these tropes than your average JRPG; especially those JRPGs with anime aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.